Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Warranty and transmission crapped out

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Warranty and transmission crapped out

So my sister is currently stuck in stamford ct ( she's from philly)

Indpendent mechanic says her 2015/16 Nissan rouge transmission is shot ( cant get the exact details but sis says its about a 4k repair)

She only has 26k on the clock, powertrain is 5 years/ 80k
    Serv mgr where she bought it says it wouldnt be covered as it was purchased 5 years and 6 months ago ( 6 months out)

I brought up escalating/ corporate to him on the conference call and he said that may be a possibility ( good will gesture by corporate) but a Nissan dealer would need to ensure that the trans is shot and no other issues are causing the slippage

Outside of towing it back to original dealership outside of philly, having OG dealer review it and getting corporate involved. is there are any other angles to work? to leverage the trans to be covered?
    ( I see that they may try some correction, and it will work temporarily but the issue will resurface, surging, wont go into reverse, clunking per my sis)

She doesnt want to drop 4g in the car but....... she might be able to get her money back if she does with this used car market ( even through the original dealer on a new car perhaps)

any insight is appreciated

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: Warranty and transmission crapped out

I would google the problem for that car model and find out what the forums say, and whether there is a relatively easy fix for it instead of replacement.

Often the shift Valve body/solenoid type unit goes broke on automatics and causes all sorts of issues. It's often internal and still requires a lot of labor but less than replacing the whole thing. Not sure in CVT however that she likely has.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I would google the problem for that car model and find out what the forums say, and whether there is a relatively easy fix for it instead of replacement.

Often the shift Valve body/solenoid type unit goes broke on automatics and causes all sorts of issues. It's often internal and still requires a lot of labor but less than replacing the whole thing. Not sure in CVT however that she likely has.
    yup the Serv mgr stated that.... I'm leaning to taking it up the ass and pay the towing back to PA for her, ($500) at least it will be close to home, and if it isnt an easy fix its at least at the OG dealer for any good will warranty coverage and not here in CT

hmmmm......

Please send me the VIN and I will explore this for you.

Does she service the vehicle at dealerships or private shops?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

now retired LLRS AM #642

Repair Recommendation:
    Dealers are advised to use all diagnostic information available in the ESM, TSBs, and ASIST
    to determine the appropriate repair for a customer’s concern.
    Nissan recommends CVT assembly replacement be offered whenever diagnostics have led a
    dealer to determine a belt and pulley sub assembly repair will resolve a customer’s concern
    and the vehicle time in service or mileage is equal to or greater than 84 months in
    service or 84,000 miles.
    This recommendation provides longer-term durability for customer satisfaction. Customers
    required to pay out-of-pocket for these repairs may still choose belt and pulley sub
    assembly repair in lieu of CVT unit replacement if they prefer that option.
    Note: This recommendation only applies to belt and pulley sub assembly repairs.
    Do not recommend CVT unit replacement when the diagnosis is for software
    updates or control valves.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

now retired LLRS AM #642

As stated by Philkinson, coverage on 2012-2017 models was extended to 7 years/84k

I'll look into it once I have a VIN.
    Please remember, dealers don't mind warranty work despite the common belief that dealers try to turn away warranty repairs for no reason.

45% of my money came from warranty last year. It all pays the bills the same.

now retired LLRS AM #642

Quote Originally Posted by Philkinson View Post
    Please send me the VIN and I will explore this for you.

Does she service the vehicle at dealerships or private shops?
    She'll fwd me the infor and send it to you

Thank you

Irregardless the car is going back to PA OG dealer

Did the search and didnt find the extended warranty , TSBs but I'm also working and cant really focus

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by Philkinson View Post
    I'll look into it once I have a VIN.
    Please remember, dealers don't mind warranty work despite the common belief that dealers try to turn away warranty repairs for no reason.

45% of my money came from warranty last year. It all pays the bills the same.
    Doesn't warranty work pay less for mechanics hourly? I think MI just enacted a law that makes warranty work pay customer rate and it was a huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Doesn't warranty work pay less for mechanics hourly? I think MI just enacted a law that makes warranty work pay customer rate and it was a huge deal.
    Yes, it does pay less than customer pay. Our customer pay calculation is something like Warranty x 1.4 = CP.

Anyways, we have guys that can do an 18 hour warranty job in 12 hours. We have guys that can get a dashboard out and a new dashboard install within an hour.

With plenty of experience, of course.

now retired LLRS AM #642

Escalate to corporate as well, nicely of course. If for some reason it's not covered under the extension mention how others in your family have Nissans. This is completely unacceptable, souring you on the brand etc... Being 6 months out of warranty on something with known issues is pretty lame to deny coverage.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Have the vin but on mobile. Will pm when I get back to a desktop

Funny thing. This is the 2rd Nissan we have. 2 xterras and this

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Have the vin but on mobile. Will pm when I get back to a desktop

Funny thing. This is the 2rd Nissan we have. 2 xterras and this
    Judgement free zone 👌

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Do not keep the car, the CVT will break again. Find a non-Nissan CVT. Nissan's belt CVT technology has been a complete disaster since day 1. Even under extended warranty, they continue to break. Its a design flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    Do not keep the car, the CVT will break again. Find a non-Nissan CVT. Nissan's belt CVT technology has been a complete disaster since day 1. Even under extended warranty, they continue to break. Its a design flaw.

if my sis can deal with it- worst case scenario needs a transmission. Pop a used one in there. immediately sell to carmax. Similar rogues are selling at 16-8k on cargurus. Then maybe it wont hurt as much. She is under the impression she can tell the OG dealer to take the car back and give her a sweetheart deal on a new one. ( not with the current supply/ demand and impact on pricing they wont)

hmmmm......

just seeing this: former Nissan service advisor.

you need to have someone at nissan service run the vin, As there will be an in service date/or date of first use. and that will determine a couple of things, if it is out by time, then she is shit out of luck.
    Now this is where it gets tricky, Are you guys good customers at a local nissan service dept?

Your next step would be to make a compliant with Nissan corporate, but once that case is opened they are going to reach out to the local dealer and see if you are a worthy enough of a goodwill repair. I've have plenty of those calls and been like yep this customer is a deadbeat.

If the car only has 26K, I think Nissan will help and do the right thing. Also I dont know if its already too late, but a nissan store needs to scan the computer on that car, I dont remember the code off hand, but if it had a cvt judder error message, we could repair or replace the tranny with out much fuss.

At that point its up to Nissan if they will replace the guts of it or send in a new reman unit.

Last edited by jhawley; 08-26-21 at 12:58 PM.

Sis spoke to Nissan consumer this morn. They are talking to the OG dealer. OG confirmed total transmission failure
    Don't have any codes or symptoms from them per the sis.

We ll see. Quick Google search shows 30k for trans fluid replace, don't see a time on it though.

I'll crunch a couple #'s see what carmax is offering. And see if it make sense for her to get it done and then flip it thru CarMax ( not private party sell as she doesnt have the bandwidth to do it) vs selling back to the OG asis or in atrade , if that's even on the table

Fingers crossed

I have to laugh at this.. I really have to. My sister put herself in the worst position even after sharing with her your input and some very good insider info and let her know how good some of the info was and who it came from.

She called Nissan. When asked how she would like resolution orwhat Nissan can do.
    She said it needs to be fixed or a credit with the OG dealer somehow. As she has lost faith with this car / Nissan.

I mean wow. Bit my tongue when she told me and said " good luck"
    The lost faith with Nissan left on no stamding.

But we ll see, maybe she worked it wrong to me.

call back and raise hell. seriously. Escalate it enough to get a district manager involved.

What condition is the car in, assuming with the miles its pretty mint, or has she hit every thing but the lotto?

Update.
    Nissan will cover 90% part and labor

But in true younger sister fashion she asked the exec Nissan team to review for 100% coverage

Sigh... Gift horse mouth etc....

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!