Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Washer & Dryer shopping

Washer & Dryer shopping

Trying to keep each under 800
    Definitely want one that fills to the top with water ( Deep Fill)

Recommendations on what others like?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Washer & Dryer shopping

front loaders use less water, clean better, and spin faster for less drying time. for driers, I prefer gas over electric

I got myself a Lowes card, gives you 5% off all purchases.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I would take a minute and read through this constantly updated column.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...her-and-dryer/

They do their own testing and they have great advice as to what's important feature wise, why they pick what they pick and what they didn't pick the competition

They also have a more budget advice (falls into your price range)

Maytag MVWC465HW/Maytag MEDC465HW

I've been very happy with their advice and suggestions on many items in the house including appliances.

Very few times I didn't like their picks and chose something else.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

you may find availability is the biggest issue.

I bought a new range a couple months ago, even with three or 4 in the warehouse, it took 3 weeks for delivery (shortage of truck drivers extends everywhere), the one I really wanted was a 4 month wait, I wouldn't even have it yet, and possibly delayed even more. Same experience with my refrigerator I bought last December. got the color I wanted but not the fingerprint resistant finish

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

consumer reports has lots of recommendations. use your library card and check the latest reviews for free.
    and don't fall for extended warranty plans.

Lifer

I have several sets at various properties. The bosch units are tanks. They are expensive though so i buy them when i see them on sale. I have a samsung which are pretty nice and have been going for years now. I do think they have too many features in them though. They are way overkill for my needs plus the notifications you get when its washing is annoying. End of cycle is a musical charm that goes off every few minutes until you open the door. Not great when your trying to sleep.
    Our whirlpools are garbage. Just trash. They are slowly getting replaced by bosch. Im not fixing them anymore.

Speedqueen has 3 ? years on entire machine. Not box store crap.
    https://blog.bellinghamelectric.com/...vs-speed-queen

Last edited by Rambunctous; 11-08-21 at 07:34 AM.
    CLICK BELOW TO PROTECT YOUR FRAGILITY (Get a set of raisins like Vovchandr you pansies)

CLICK HERE TO PUT ME ON IGNORE

From what I've read, it seems people hate their Samsungs after a while.

If I was buying now for a top load, then I'd probably go with Speed Queen.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

i bought our set back in 2010...Whirlpool Duet front loader washer and gas dryer...have worked flawlessly since, knock on wood...i also bought the pedestals with the drawer under them...gives some extra storage space and raises them up so you don't have to bend over as much

edit: i think i read through consumer reports ratings at the time before i bought

Last edited by Point37; 11-08-21 at 03:22 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

This is particularly why I stopped bothering with personal/online reviews for home appliances.

There are far too many anecdotes, fake reviews for positive, fake negative reviews etc. Having one review saying it's the greatest appliance ever, followed by another saying that it set the house on fire just get tiring after a while and doesn't help make any decisions.

I trust experts from the industry such as repairmen, websites who do testing, or websites completely dedicated to the subject matter where at least there is a dedicated discussion to come to a conclusion.

This is a website dedicated to such things too

https://www.automaticwasher.org/

Last edited by Vovchandr; 11-08-21 at 12:39 PM.

[QUOTE=Vovchandr;1608254]This is particularly why I stopped bothering with personal/online reviews for home appliances.

There are far too many anecdotes, fake reviews for positive, fake negative reviews etc. Having one review saying it's the greatest appliance ever, followed by another saying that it set the house on fire just get tiring after a while and doesn't help make any decisions.

I trust experts from the industry such as repairmen, websites who do testing, or websites completely dedicated to the subject matter where at least there is a dedicated discussion to come to a conclusion.

This is a website dedicated to such things too

Definitely get that, reason I asked what others are using. So many vids and reviews my heads going to explode. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by zxme View Post

Definitely get that, reason I asked what others are using. So many vids and reviews my heads going to explode. Lol
    I hear that. The whole thing started for me during kitchen remodel and having to get all new appliances I wanted to shoot myself after coming to a conclusion on the brand just to go somewhere else to see the brand eviscerated.

Ended up with a Whirlpool fridge, Samsung stove and Bosch dishwasher. Happy with all, except a minor caveat on the stove where the clicking when the relays click on/off are a little loud during heating/cooking.

Our washer died recently so I had to look to get it replaced. I wanted to stick with Whirlpool and one that was of similar size. I also did not want to spend a fortune because we may not be living at our current place in 1-2 years. This is what I went with. It's actually on sale right now, but looks to be out of stock. So far, it has done the job for us.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-5...White/50254189

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I hear that. The whole thing started for me during kitchen remodel and having to get all new appliances I wanted to shoot myself after coming to a conclusion on the brand just to go somewhere else to see the brand eviscerated.

Ended up with a Whirlpool fridge, Samsung stove and Bosch dishwasher. Happy with all, except a minor caveat on the stove where the clicking when the relays click on/off are a little loud during heating/cooking.
    I did entire kitchen 2 years ago and bought the whole Samsung package and wish I never did.
    My old dishwasher & fridge was a GE and worked excellent, new dishwasher is quiet but doesn’t clean as good and the fridge is loud and quirky, can’t even keep ice cream as at the highest setting it goes to -15
    The stove & microwave works great.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    Our washer died recently so I had to look to get it replaced. I wanted to stick with Whirlpool and one that was of similar size. I also did not want to spend a fortune because we may not be living at our current place in 1-2 years. This is what I went with. It's actually on sale right now, but looks to be out of stock. So far, it has done the job for us.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-5...White/50254189
    Looks good , I appreciate the feedback…Did you get the one with the agitator or impeller?

Looks good , I appreciate the feedback…Did you get the one with the agitator or impeller?
    I went with the impeller. I had an agitator before but I liked the fact that it opened up more space and to be quite honest...how dirty can my clothes be to really need the agitator? I can see if you're in construction and your clothes get really dirty but the only thing that really gets dirty is the pair of jeans used for lawn care and that's about it.

I did entire kitchen 2 years ago and bought the whole Samsung package and wish I never did.
    My old dishwasher & fridge was a GE and worked excellent, new dishwasher is quiet but doesn’t clean as good and the fridge is loud and quirky, can’t even keep ice cream as at the highest setting it goes to -15
    The stove & microwave works great.
    Exact opposite experience. Our Samsung fridge is amazing. Can’t hear it ever. The freeze we have at the lowest setting and we still have to let ice cream sit for 15 minutes before we eat it. Water, ice work immaculate. Lights are great. 0 complaints.

I'm skeptical of any & all "review sites'. In my opinion you're doing the right thing by asking people for personal experience. That to me is always where I start serious research.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I'm skeptical of any & all "review sites'. In my opinion you're doing the right thing by asking people for personal experience. That to me is always where I start serious research.
    Everybody has their own approach. The reply just above of two people having completely opposite experiences drives me insane and I seek something more methodical rather than anecdotal.

Regardless decision fatigue is real and in todays world of knockoffs, fake positive reviews, fake negative reviews, "store brands" made in the same factory, "store brands" that are drastically worse than equivalents etc It can be very overwhelming to find the "truth" and a good product for your money. This can be a thread all onto itself.

Edit: Talking to appliance technicians and repairman can definitely get you to truth of reliability.

Last edited by Vovchandr; 11-16-21 at 11:03 AM.

We buy from Yale Appliance. As noted above, availability is a big question now. Somewhere on their Web page they give stats on how many service calls they make on various brands -- good info, hard data I'd call it, not anecdotes. Also their delivery and installation are top notch -- no damage to your house and no shady characters stealing your shit.

https://www.yaleappliance.com/

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 11-16-21 at 11:02 AM.
    Don't believe everything you think.

What did you go with?
    I think we are buying the LG pair from Home Depot and their “Black Friday special”

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    What did you go with?
    I think we are buying the LG pair from Home Depot and their “Black Friday special”
    Which one?

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, I put $ away for a new Husky 701 ( None around) & a washer & Dryer ( still undecided) so no rush

Which one?

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, I put $ away for a new Husky 701 ( None around) & a washer & Dryer ( still undecided) so no rush
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...0HBA/314744262

If you have the time, check out Yale Appliance "Buying Guide"
    https://blog.yaleappliance.com/free-...e-buying-guide

This especially caught my eye: "Reliability of each brand based on 35,256 service calls"

Don't believe everything you think.