Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Web devs, PLEASE help

Web devs, PLEASE help

My mom has had a website for 15 years. I have told her for YEARS to monetize it. She told me tonight she is getting 0.75 MILLION page hits per month. I'm gonna slap her. How can she monetize this?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Web devs, PLEASE help

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Easy, but an okay route to go? Isn't 750,000 hits per month a lot?

I'm not a web dev but I know some stuff.

750k page views is definitely a lot, but 'hits' tends to mean different things in different stat apps (webalyzer, etc). In many stat apps a hit is a request of an object like a file, so if a web page has 1 html file and 1000 images, one load of that page would yield 1001 'hits', which makes it a completely irrelevant statistic as far as monetization. Find out how much traffic she's really getting. Page views and unique visitors are the status I see discussed around monetization.

Adsense - it's ok but their model is pay-per-click (to the advertiser it's cost-per-click, or CPC) so you don't get money unless people click the ad. It used to pay much better than it does now, and I think their ad quality as gone way down.

Cost-per-1000 views, or CPM is where the money is. You get paid when the ad is viewed, not clicked. If a site has quality content, and good traffic stats, you can go this route and it pays much better than Adsense. I don't have any specific recommendations for ad services in this space.

It will vary widely based on the type of content we're talking about, but just as a reference point I know someone running a site that gets 500k to 650k page views/month, and earning 6 figures in annual ad revenue.

-Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    I'm not a web dev but I know some stuff.

750k page views is definitely a lot, but 'hits' tends to mean different things in different stat apps (webalyzer, etc). In many stat apps a hit is a request of an object like a file, so if a web page has 1 html file and 1000 images, one load of that page would yield 1001 'hits', which makes it a completely irrelevant statistic as far as monetization. Find out how much traffic she's really getting. Page views and unique visitors are the status I see discussed around monetization.

Adsense - it's ok but their model is pay-per-click (to the advertiser it's cost-per-click, or CPC) so you don't get money unless people click the ad. It used to pay much better than it does now, and I think their ad quality as gone way down.

Cost-per-1000 views, or CPM is where the money is. You get paid when the ad is viewed, not clicked. If a site has quality content, and good traffic stats, you can go this route and it pays much better than Adsense. I don't have any specific recommendations for ad services in this space.

It will vary widely based on the type of content we're talking about, but just as a reference point I know someone running a site that gets 500k to 650k page views/month, and earning 6 figures in annual ad revenue.
    She has been paying out of pocket for hosting this site for a decade and a half. At least if it can generate enough to pay for costs to host that would be nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    My mom has had a website for 15 years. I have told her for YEARS to monetize it. She told me tonight she is getting 0.75 MILLION page hits per month. I'm gonna slap her. How can she monetize this?
    Pm me what you looking for and the website. I am a developer, I run panicsites.com. on the side. I have no problem setting you up or at least point you in the right direction. slap her haha man you would need a rake for all that money. I am glad to help you.

2013 Tiger Explorer