Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Are Weber Grills really the shit ?

Are Weber Grills really the shit ?

Looking at a 310 and was curious what you guys think on them

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Are Weber Grills really the shit ?

Our friends bought us a three burner as a house warming gift, and after a friend grilled once (I was busy drinking, I mean hosting), the next time I went to use it the third burner plastic knob stripped, and for some reason the brass control beneath was practically seized. I used pliers to control it this passed year and plan to fix it this year... not sure how or why that happened, but I didn’t expect an issue like that.

I think they may be overrated.

Your park avenue leads to..

They are solid.
    They do, like all things, wear.
    Support for them is pretty amazing.

I've had my weber for close to 20 years at this point. I've replaced the racks a few times.
    I've replaced the burners like twice.
    I replaced the bottom bucket once.

Parts aren't cheap, but they are available.

That said, I haven't lit my Weber since last July. (also, unlike most New Englanders, we grill all winter).

My parents got me one of those "green egg" knockoffs. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass to use, but the flavor is amazing.
    I mean, it's not really hard, but it is harder than the gas Weber. Still I haven't lit the Weber in like 9 months.

Buying a Weber grill is kinda like buying IBM (this phrase is clearly dated, maybe you are old enough to get it).
    The other thing that I would take a look at, were I in the market, would be a pellet feed grill. YMMV.

They are legit. Bought mine 6 years ago and it saw three shitty Maine winters and is going into its 3rd Phoenix summer. Lives itís life outside and uncovered. Still looks and operates as new.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

They are on the better end of what to get from a big box store. I bought one fully assembled a few years and it's just more or less just fine. The only thing I do is roll it into an enclosed porch for winter storage. Then back onto the porch in summer. Keep covered. Still looks more or less new 5 years later. Replacement parts are readily available which is nice.

It's not traeger or big green egg fancy, but it's not gonna rust out like those super cheap char broil ones.

Last edited by 01xj; 03-15-21 at 07:07 PM.

I couldn’t swallow the price of the Webber for what you get. I ended up going with the Charbroil commercial infrared all stainless for a fraction of the cost. It’s heavy duty and has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years. We cook on it year round, and host some large cookouts over the summer.. never an issue with it.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Love my Webber use it all year long. Have had it for 4 years no issues, Should last many more.. Easy to clean and parts easy to get.. Solid unit.

Some of the benefits of Weber vs other big box stuff:

Burn quality - all burners will have equal nice consistent flame
    Build quality
    Parts availability
    Support
    Resale value

If you value these Weber is for you.

I grill year around (even when it’s negative and snow outside) and I still haven’t stomached a Weber. I had a beautiful kenmore from Sears and I sold it. Was never able to replace the quality for the price. I may just get a Weber this year if they go on sale.

I've had my Weber Spirit for almost 10yrs. The electronic sparker died within the first few years of ownership but other than that it's given no other trouble.

All components are original and in excellent condition even though it has sat outside since new. I do keep it covered and on the patio but it has cooked through all 4 seasons for all 10 yrs and still looks great

What Sav said, will add that I have a Kenmore Elite 4 burner. I was on my way to buy a Weber 5 or so years ago and went by Sears first. The Kenmore was built entirely of stainless except for the door panels and since that location was going out of business I got it for $325...I think it was about 50% off. It’s been an excellent grill, igniter quite after a couple of years but that happens to pretty much every grill if you don’t maintain it. I barely even bother to cover it, still runs great, haven’t had to replace anything yet.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I'm waiting for a cool/interesting/quality (and likely expensive) grill to popup in my instagram feed instead of getting a Weber. However, I'm still very interestd in Traegger.
    My perfect grill is a big green egg that also has a propane option. Don't think it exists.

That said, I bought a Weber 10 years ago on craigslist for $75 and it finally has worn out to the point of being relatively unusable. I feel like it was the perfect vintage that the new ones are trying to look like.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

They are very nice quality... but you pay for it.

Like others have said, they are built well, and if/when you need to replace something Weber itself is good on warranty replacement and there are plenty of other sources for replacement parts. You can just about rebuild an entire grill from vendors providing parts.

Other grills don't have that large support after the fact.

The other nice thing is the heating elements. They heat up my grill extremely fast... way faster than my older 4 burner commercial grill.

Are there other grills that are just as good? Sure. There definitely are, but you may not be able to get a replacement part in 5 years. So what are you going to do then? Buy an entire new grill?

That may not be a bad option if you total cost still stays below the cost of the Weber.

Last edited by LuvDog; 03-16-21 at 07:03 AM.
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Weber all the way. I've had 3 used ones. People get rid of them after 10 years for something new, and the warranty is still good on them. Replacement parts are easy to get. The one I have now, 3 burner, with flip out extra side table, probably 10 years old when I picked it up for free. Lid hinge had snapped off the lower casting. Called weber and sent a free one. The whole lower clamshell. New stainless burners and flavor bars, and I'm going on 10 years with it. Even heating. My first grill was one of those massive stainless steel, 7 burner (had the back raised burner for rotisserie?) from home depot. Maybe charbroil. Lasted 4 years before the internal shit steel rotted away. Couldn't even move it to the next house.

Current one is basically this, but with an extra flip out table.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9668613152455/

+1 to decent products ... i used to build and light service Weber in high school working for a hardware store in CT ... only thing we really needed to service was the igniters and flavor bars ... that's been my personal experience as well. going on 16 years with our current Weber, lives outside year round, looks new after a cleaning.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    +1 to decent products ... i used to build and light service Weber in high school working for a hardware store in CT ... only thing we really needed to service was the igniters and flavor bars ... that's been my personal experience as well. going on 16 years with our current Weber, lives outside year round, looks new after a cleaning.
    It's great. My local Carl's true value stocks the flavor bars, igniter assembly, burners, and grates. Due for some flavor bars.

I've had 2 webber kettles last me like 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    My parents got me one of those "green egg" knockoffs. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass to use, but the flavor is amazing.
    I mean, it's not really hard, but it is harder than the gas Weber. Still I haven't lit the Weber in like 9 months..
    I actually did the opposite. Have had a Green Egg knock off for about 10 years. The flavor is better, no doubt, and they're really pretty easy to fire up. If I'm cooking something like ribs, the egg is the only choice. All of that said, though, I used it maybe once or twice during the winter. Hardly ever after a long day of work. Never grilled the ubiquitous Italian dressing marinated chicken breasts.

Bought a Weber Genesis on impulse and have been loving it. Burgers in 10-degree weather? Sure. From cover off to done in line 10 minutes. Spatchcock chicken? On a weeknight? Sure.
    Keep it outside under a cover.

Not going to sell the egg. I guess each has its place.

Lifer

I think the key to a gas grill is not how hot it gets (they can all melt dimes) but how low it can go. The only really high heat thing I grill is pizza, but I slow cook a ton of stuff. I have a commerical grade CharBroil that's super sturdy and has a rotisserie. Parts are easy to find and it's been easy to repair. Otherwise it's meh. My neighbor has a Viking - holy sh1t that thing gets as hot as the sun.

I've had a Weber Genesis for just shy of 10 years and it's been great. I have the model with the extra sear station burner and the side burner. I never intended to spend that much money on a grill but I wasn't impressed with other options. I dropped the money and initially had buyer's regret until the first time I used it. It cooks substantially better than my previous grills. My only upgrade to it was to replace the ceramic coated cast iron grates with stainless steel ones as the coating wore out on the originals and it rusted up.

10 years later, I need to make my first repairs to it. Some of my "flavorizer bars" have finally rusted out after thousands of heat cycles and grease dripping on them. Other than that, it's been trouble free.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Also worth adding, it's hard to beat a Premium Kettle with both Vortex and SNS charcoal baskets. I will kick any gas grill's ass by every metric other than prep time on that setup. Kettles are the most versatile equipment you can have in your outdoor kitchen.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Also worth adding, it's hard to beat a Premium Kettle with both Vortex and SNS charcoal baskets. I will kick any gas grill's ass by every metric other than prep time on that setup. Kettles are the most versatile equipment you can have in your outdoor kitchen.
    How low can you get the prep time down to?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

The prep time kills it for me with those. Like Mike said 10 minutes to do a few burgers on a week night is clutch.

Flavor is unmatched of course. Also you’re a pro grill master

Lifer

Bit of a sidetrack, but I got a great tip about cooking bacon. Almost always I am using bacon in a recipe which means people are coming over and I don't really want the odor throughout the house. You can grill the bacon on a baking pan lined with parchment paper - set it and forget it. Cooks slow with no splatter, and clean up couldn't be easier.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That's how we do ours, but in the oven. Works great with parchment paper.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast