Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Weed Torch?

Weed Torch?

anyone have one that can offer any advice?...i'm definitely buying one of these things...i just don't know which style/model yet...hate having to weed wack or spray chemicals on the town sidewalk and pull weeds in the stone strip at the end of the driveway...

low output
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008ZA0F...v_ov_lig_dp_it

high output
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00282LP34...v_ov_lig_dp_it

edit: no not a marijuana/weed torch a landscaping weed torch lol

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 09-08-20 at 01:17 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Re: Weed Torch?

Buffalo Soldier....Oh, wait, whoops.

I've wanted one of those BAD for our natural blueberries (you burn them every other year to encourage growth

i usually have to spray the weeds that grow between the rocks at the end of my driveway, wait for them to die and then pull them out by hand so i'm kneeling on a pussy pad bent over grabbing them with gloves on and throwing them in a bucket...screw that...and weed wacking the sidewalk in front of the house flinging rocks all over the place while cars are passing by at 40-50 mph sucks as well

i have a few diff style torches but for the yard, use the BernzOmatic in your first link. works mint. you don't need to set fire to everything, just enough heat to wilt/cook the leaves will do the trick. i have a brick walk and loose stone areas that i use it on. also good for weeds that pop out of beds with mulch, just torch 'em up after a rain storm to keep it safe.

as a bonus, i use it to light the fire pit as well.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i have a few diff style torches but for the yard, use the BernzOmatic in your first link. works mint. you don't need to set fire to everything, just enough heat to wilt/cook the leaves will do the trick. i have a brick walk and loose stone areas that i use it on. also good for weeds that pop out of beds with mulch, just torch 'em up after a rain storm to keep it safe.

as a bonus, i use it to light the fire pit as well.
    how much time does it take to burn?...can i just constantly walk and torch weeds or do i have to move slowly and wait...i don't mind strapping a propane tank to a dolley and dragging it around if it means it will go faster...i have about 250' of sidewalk to burn weeds on plus about a 30'x10' strip of stone with weeds...i'm leaning towards the high output one at the moment just for speed

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

sound like a brush fire, with drought, heat, and wind, fire danger is high, locally stopped issuing permits,

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Great for getting bon fires going too!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I have an equivalent of the large torch you posted. It's outstanding for getting wet brush piles to burn! Most likely overkill for light weeding duty.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I bought one from Harbor freight years ago, three interchangeable heads, attaches to a gas grill tank. It gets heavy if you are carrying it around a bit, but it gets the job done. I believe it was like $15 at the time. I've had mine for about 15 years and now I noticed the hose is dry rotted. I'll just get some hose and replace. It has many uses from weeds to bon fires to heating asphalt patch for the driveway.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    how much time does it take to burn?...can i just constantly walk and torch weeds or do i have to move slowly and wait...i don't mind strapping a propane tank to a dolley and dragging it around if it means it will go faster...i have about 250' of sidewalk to burn weeds on plus about a 30'x10' strip of stone with weeds...i'm leaning towards the high output one at the moment just for speed
    hmm, 250' is long, but yes, you can keep moving. it's not a fast exercise but depends on how gnarly the weeds are. i would think sidewalk cracks would be faster than loose stones or brick work. if you stay on top of the growth, you just move along wilting them. i keep a few 1lb propane tanks on the shelf anyway but they last quite a while on the torch for my smaller areas.

that high output one looks pretty intense for weeds, maybe give the smaller version a try first? again, you don't need to set fire to everything, just boil the moisture in the leaves, essentially.

Beta 200RR

Weed Torch?

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    sound like a brush fire, with drought, heat, and wind, fire danger is high, locally stopped issuing permits,
    Not sure how Id start a brush fire in a bituminous sidewalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Great for getting bon fires going too!
    I figured that lol

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I have an equivalent of the large torch you posted. It's outstanding for getting wet brush piles to burn! Most likely overkill for light weeding duty.
    I burn brush here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I bought one from Harbor freight years ago, three interchangeable heads, attaches to a gas grill tank. It gets heavy if you are carrying it around a bit, but it gets the job done. I believe it was like $15 at the time. I've had mine for about 15 years and now I noticed the hose is dry rotted. I'll just get some hose and replace. It has many uses from weeds to bon fires to heating asphalt patch for the driveway.
    Id strap it to a dolly and pull it around if I go that way

This one is reasonably priced but the wand looks a little short...Id like it longer so I can run a smaller flame and not have to bend over

https://www.harborfreight.com/propan...ter-91037.html

hmm, 250' is long, but yes, you can keep moving. it's not a fast exercise but depends on how gnarly the weeds are. i would think sidewalk cracks would be faster than loose stones or brick work. if you stay on top of the growth, you just move along wilting them. i keep a few 1lb propane tanks on the shelf anyway but they last quite a while on the torch for my smaller areas.

that high output one looks pretty intense for weeds, maybe give the smaller version a try first? again, you don't need to set fire to everything, just boil the moisture in the leaves, essentially.
    Yea Im thinking the smaller one is the safer one but damn I want the big one...Im just worried Im going to have to stop and stand still on some of these weeds...the smaller one will be quicker to setup though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Point37; 09-09-20 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    FYI you can buy valves to refill the small tanks if that makes it easier. I can only get them up to about 3/4 but it saves a good bit of change on the old school camping stove.

[/IMG][/URL]

Glad I decided on the big torch...tested it out around the fire pit today...if I was trying to use a small torch for this I feel like it would have taken forever...just have to get some cam straps for the propane tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hah, looks beastly in addition to torching, we also use a vinegar/dawn/epsom salt mixture to spray stone areas like your pit and walkways. works great.

Beta 200RR

You'll never use all that power

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Is it bad to use this in an area where you plan on planting later? Does it kill or destroy nutrients?

I've got a serious and worsening problem with Oriental Bittersweet and I'm at the end of my rope.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

hah, looks beastly in addition to torching, we also use a vinegar/dawn/epsom salt mixture to spray stone areas like your pit and walkways. works great.
    thanks...def going to use this as well...i think i've used vinegar and dawn but not epsom salt before...do you dilute with water?

i think the way to do it (as already mentioned) torch the weeds to take the moisture out and then once the weeds dry out come back again and burn them up

Last edited by Point37; 09-21-20 at 09:30 AM.