Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Westers report for those that asked

Talking Westers report for those that asked

I was finally able to install the Westers ECU programmer in my truck last week. I was told when i bought it i'd get 40+ hp and up to 2mpg fuel economy improvements

When i ordered the tune for my truck, i chose a 87/91 dual octain tune, remove all TM features, a split between economy and performance, and to up the speed limiter from the stock 98mph to 120 mph.
    The truck is a 2004 GMC Sierra extra cab 2500HD, Vortec 8.1L & Allison 5spd automatic

The install was pretty simple and the computer was very easy to access, it took maybe 15 minutes total. The instructions for the first startup however were not for my model year and it didn't start like the directions said. Turns out with the 04/05s all you have to do is start it up, no fancy code reading memory thing like the older ones

At first start-up, it ran a little rough and the check engine light came on. I went for a short test ride and shut it off when i came back. After i started it again, it smoothened out again and the engine light was off, time for a real test drive
    The increase in power was pretty impressive down low but i was fully expecting that with the TM (torque management) feature being disabled. TM only allowed 1/2 throttle operation until the engine hit 3k rpm There was also a noticable improvement throughout the power range.

I've had it in for a few days now and a few hundred miles, it seems to be getting better by the day. The system is learning all the new codes and i've had alot of various opertunities to test it's operation
    I've yet to fully test the speed limiter but i did get it up to 110 and it was only in 4th gear
    Punching it from a dead stop is a waist, it just spins, shifts second and just spins Actually if you take off a little easy then nail the gas it has a very nice pull to it all the way up to 100mph.
    I'm pretty impressed with the performance of such a heavy truck and the difference of just changing a computer has made. If i add up the advertised hp for the computer, the advertised hp for the air intake kit i have on, and add that to GM's advertised stock hp, it should be very close to 400hp

Here's the bad news though While i think i'd get better fuel economy if my driving habbits did not change, but i'm having so much fun with my new found power that the economy has taken a huge turn for the worse Going by the dash readout, i consistantly got 13.5-14 mpg, sometimes even better than that. This last tank i just about had a heart attack when i saw the economy mode at a whopping 9.3
    Again, if i can keep my foot out of the gas, i'm sure it'll improve over what i was getting before as the instant economy mode does show a improvement at highway speeds.

Overall, i'm very happy with it as my main goal was the get rid of the TM feature. Adding fuel economy would be a bonus and it could eventually pay for itself in fuel savings (if i can drive normal)
    I don't have to much good to say about the place i got it from
    Tbyrne as there was some misleading info on their site about the group buy purchase i took part in.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Now you've got me thinking about selling off my Hypertech and going for the Westers tuned for 93 octane

Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Hey, Mark--

I hear ya about the 'driving habits' LOL!! You'll most likely return to normal within a couple of months
    (or a few 'ohmygawd' fill-ups at the pump!)

The TM-gone is absolutely the best part of the set-up on mine. If I manage a little HP gain
    (supposed to be around +35) and maintain similar economy (16-17), that's fine, too. Just having
    WOT available down low makes my truck a whole lot more fun to drive (plus the shifting is now
    firm and precise...no more 'sliding' from gear to gear).

Enjoy it....

Wisdom doesn't always come with age...sometimes age comes alone.

sweet
    i wonder if it's faster than my duramax?

mine still tops put at 96.

seeing as mine is a dually, i'd more than likely smoke you off the line.

i'm getting around 350hp to the rear wheels and over 700 ftlbs tq.

got to love it when your towing a 5k boat and a ricer pull's up next to you at a light and the next thing he knows the boat is going buy him.

btw:the only time i spin the tires is when towing over 5k and i stand on it from a stop.

jim

"Molon labe"

Originally posted by sandman
    sweet
    iseeing as mine is a dually, i'd more than likely smoke you off the line.
    Maybe, but if i put the extra $6k you spent for the duramax into the 8.1 that i have, i'd probably smoke you even if you had twin duramax's

I thought you had a truck with the 454?

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

two suburban's with 454's one dually crew with a duramax.

and as i recall it was just under 4k for the duamax

btw: i do enjoy getting 12mpg instead of the 6mpg i got with the 454's when towing something

oh and being able to drive between 500-850 miles depending on what i'm towing without stopping for fuel is very nice.

jim

"Molon labe"

Hey R7, check out this link.......... www.ststurbo.com

Turbo system that replaces the stock muffler. Been getting alot of press. Very tempting.

Been hearing good things about this product. Might have to write this one off as a business expense next year

Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Holy Shit I was just going to post something about an ECU Programmer. Does the one you purchased work for cars also? As you probably know my car got totalled two weeks ago and I'm getting a new car, but don't have much money so I'm getting a 2.2L Malibu. It only comes with 155 stock HP so I want to get it up around 200. Any thoughts?

--HBerry

LRRS# 285 - Retired
    04 ZX-6R
    88 EX500 - Broke

to get 200 hp from a car??... dont get a malibu!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Everybody to the limit!

ECU writes are encrypted by law, these aren't programmers they're replacement ECUs or devices which attach inline to the ECU and modify the signal. Neither would be street legal.

The government does not want you messing with your fuel injection mapping.

Originally posted by By-Tor
    Hey R7, check out this link.......... www.ststurbo.com

Turbo system that replaces the stock muffler. Been getting alot of press. Very tempting.

Been hearing good things about this product. Might have to write this one off as a business expense next year
    I had a hard time spending 500 on a computer, let alone 4k for a turbo Looks and sounds pretty cool though.

hberry, check out the Wester's sire and see what they have to offer. I don't think you're gonna see a 45hp gain with that car though

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike