Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Has Become Of Us?

What Has Become Of Us?

Short version, do your own search...

The Londonderry High School in Londonderry, NH allows their seniors to submit their own photos. Many of the students submit pictures of them relating to their hobbies or sports that they're known for. They've got one student that happens to be a 'champion' clay pigeon competitor, and he decides to submit a photo of himself, dressed in his shooting garb (NOT hunting clothes, mind you) with a stack of clay pigeons in front of him and his rifle slung over his shoulder (backwards) with the loading breech OPEN (it's an over/under or side/by side barrel rifle). The photo appears to be professionally done, and he appears VERY unassuming in it. Yet they've refused him permission to use it and are threatening to omit it...

This is just fuggin' outrageous. Have we become as a collective community, not much more than toidly little pussies here? Has it gotten THAT bad? Time to wake up, people. Gimme a fuckin' break! This sorta thing disgusts me to no end...

Should we also ban photos of school aged children that are holding baseball bats? How about Jr. ROTC uniforms? Or what about high school students that race them underscale cars? I mean, we don't wanna condone kids driving fast, right? Hell, we may as well ban photos of gymnists too, right? I mean, it DOES show 'em in 'bodysuits', or whatever they're called...

The list goes on & on here, people. What's next? Seriously. When are WE gonna finally stand up and say, 'WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?!?' *OUR* generation's kids are next. Isn't it time we all just put our feet down and said enough's enough already?

...rant over...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

What Has Become Of Us?

Simple answer...

Make em all get pictures from the Pro photographer of the school's choice, and make them all wear clothes that meet the school's dress code.

End of debate, no one gets their panties in a wad.

Sometimes people expect to be allowed to be too much of an individual.

And after all it is just HS pictures. Not exactly the most important thing in the world.

Littering and........

What Has Become Of Us?

Thats pretty fucked up.

I guess maybe its some sort of backlash from the whole Columbine thing

In any case, I hope the kid fights to keep that photo.

Hmmmmmmmmm

If the photos like you describe, given his history (sporting) I say okay. Otherwise no go.

Were's the complaint letter campaign?

My second complaint is that Highsiders jacuzzi isn't DONE yet.
    and he can't get chick over his house when we arrive later.
    -Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy.

Littering and........

What Has Become Of Us?

Suf, you are a thread jacking pig.

What Has Become Of Us?

Originally posted by benVFR
    Simple answer...

Make em all get pictures from the Pro photographer of the school's choice, and make them all wear clothes that meet the school's dress code.

And after all it is just HS pictures. Not exactly the most important thing in the world.
    Not sure how to read that, Ben...

I guess what gets me with this is that 'they' encourage us to encourage our kids to BE individuals. 'They're' always encouraging 'em to accept everyone and everything with an open mind, to look at it from every angle. Don't be hating, don't be descriminatory. THEN, 'they' teach 'em to be afraid of everything!

Littering and........

What Has Become Of Us?

Simple answer...

I agree that it certainly isn't the most important thing in the world, but it is a lasting memory, so why cant this kid express his hobby in his picture like the other kids? Just because it happens to involve using a gun?

Personally, I find those uni-tard things the gymnasts to be offensive (when males where them. Yuck ). Should I start a letter writing campaign because I dont want my kid to turn from looking at some guy's form fitting leotard??

What Has Become Of Us?

Political correctness run amok, once again. This and that and everything is offensive in some way to someone, somewhere. But who gives a flyin shit?!?!?!?!? If someone takes offense, so what, move on and GET OVER IT!!!! The people who make the rules and regulations are constantly having to worry about some fucking special interest group attacking or suing them for making a decision, ANY decision!!!! The trouble is that the morons who are offended DO NOT represent the majority, but the rest of us are forced to adhere so as to avoid a repeat offense. Now, this nonsense is going on in our schools through the collective indoctrination programs of the teachers unions and the ACLU, and all of the other whining hand-wringing, pinko commie groups who "feel" the need to protect us all from ourselves. Gimme a fuckin' break!!!!! I am with you, Jay, STOP THE FUCKING NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LRRS#167

What Has Become Of Us?

Okay, in HS I was a rock hick, in my pictures I wore ripped jeans, leather jacket, anthrax shirt, and a long hair cut....

I guess I was way toooo much of an individual HUH??? Ben whaddid ya wear in your pics??? I already have an idea

What Has Become Of Us?

Political Correctness is Censorship.

They likely would have let in lesbians kissing, a fully dressed transvesite, or a satan worshipper somehow bashing the church.

No, not bible thumping, or anything like that, but this Political Correct stiffling has got to go.

Funny thing is when I was in Junior High when we had Ad Hoc writing assignments, myself and two others would write stories akin to Friday the 13th type crap, but in a funny way... Like one I remember was a drunk psycho who was a Mall Easter Bunny... Working title was "The Vengeful Easter Bunny or A Fist Full of Fur". Real crazy off the wall stuff, but as we would read it, the whole class would be cracking up. 10 years later we would have been locked up, expelled and probavly in some tiny cell somewhere... We have all become tax-paying citizens who, to my knowledge, have never killed or planned any massacres.

What a pathetic place we now live in when thoughts and ideas are made more than what they really are. You are free to have thoughts as well as they are ours.

What Has Become Of Us?

Originally posted by Maui
    We have all become tax-paying citizens who, to my knowledge, have never killed or planned any massacres.

is that what your doctor tells you

I agree

I'm an NRA member. I own a gun. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter.

I don't want anything do with guns in or near a school. So I agree with the decision to ban the photo - as senseless as it may seem on the surface.

Prior to columbine..I don't think anyone would have given a 2nd thought well almost anyways. But nowadays...guns have no place in or near public schools...whether it be in photos or what not.

I suspect it has more to do with a zero tolerance policy towards guns rather than a focused attempt at disciminating that one student.

-John
    FZR1000
    www.fzr1000exup.com

Re: I agree

Originally posted by jjs777
    I'm an NRA member. I own a gun. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter.

I don't want anything do with guns in or near a school. So I agree with the decision to ban the photo - as senseless as it may seem on the surface.

Prior to columbine..I don't think anyone would have given a 2nd thought well almost anyways. But nowadays...guns have no place in or near public schools...whether it be in photos or what not.

I suspect it has more to do with a zero tolerance policy towards guns rather than a focused attempt at disciminating that one student.

Would you feel the same way if he/she were poseing with a bow??? He didn't bring the gun to school nor did he threaten anyone. Why is it the mechanic can pose in front of a corvette with the hood open, but the hunter cannot pose with his weapon unloaded uncocked and slung over his shoulder

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

What Has Become Of Us?

Originally posted by highsider
    I agree that it certainly isn't the most important thing in the world, but it is a lasting memory, so why cant this kid express his hobby in his picture like the other kids? Just because it happens to involve using a gun?
    exactly my thoughts.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

gun yileding kids - great

Would you feel the same way if he/she were poseing with a bow??? He didn't bring the gun to school nor did he threaten anyone. Why is it the mechanic can pose in front of a corvette with the hood open, but the hunter cannot pose with his weapon unloaded uncocked and slung over his shoulder
    You are not comparing apples to apples with your 'bow' example. A bow does not have the take down power as that of a semi-auto. So to answer your question...nope I have no issue with that of a kid slinging a bow over his shoulder.

We are talking about school here right? As I recall certain kids can quickly be adopted as role models for other students. Do you want that of a kid slinging a gun over his shoulder to be a role model? Do you want 'followers' and 'me too' kids all taking to the idea that guns are cool? Perhaps you do. But I certainly don't. I'm generally VERY cool about just about anything. But unless you haven't been reading the violence these days occuring in schools, then a rational person ought to take a moment, step back, and finally draw the line somewhere - which is what I feel the school authority did with banning the photo.

I know it sounds like a loss of freedom. Cuz it is. But this is school. Come on. They would probably feel 'almost' the same way if there were a photo of a 16 year old doing a burn out in a muscle car in front of the school. It would be something that is best left OUT of the viewing public for fear of exacerbating the whole issue. (read as...all of a sudden every kid is trying to do a burn out in front of the school to be 'cool')

I suspect if you had kids...whether you do or do not I don't know BUT do you want that kid touting the rifle or whatever to become a role model for more kids at that school? That kid may be responsible, but I would not attest to the other students. I know some kids from my school back in the day...and all they would have needed was a little push to all of a sudden start carrying guns. That photo probably would have set them off in the wrong direction.

-John
    FZR1000
    www.fzr1000exup.com

Lifer

What Has Become Of Us?

There are always going to be some kids who want to push the boundaries... this is just a weird example as the kid is not really asking to take a threatening picture.

My brother had someone in his class try to cross-dress for their yearbook/school photos. I'm sure all you neo-cons would have a different opinion about that one.

Where do you draw the line... better to just draw it conservatively and get it over with.

Just make everyone wear clothes that meet the dress code... it solves the problem. Making everyone get pictures taken by a pro solves a lot of issues for the yearbook staff.

As for someone asking me what I wore in my HS photos... I wore a suit and tie as I was told to. I went to an EXTREMELY conservative private school. You did what you were told. There were none of these problems. We had a strict dress code that we had to wear every day. If you decided you wanted to dress like a homosexual hair band star, you'd have been sent home. Do it like 2-3 times and you'd be looking for a new place to go to school. (BTW.. would you really want to look back 20 years later and see yourself dressed like that?)

I have no friggin clue where my HS photos are. Senior year of high school was not the high point in my life.

There are way more important things to worry about in terms of "rights" than what a kid wears to high school. Hell make them all wear army uniforms. Then maybe they'll figure out that what makes you an individual is what's inside, not what you wear.

Ben

What Has Become Of Us?

But unless you haven't been reading the violence these days occuring in schools, then a rational person ought to take a moment, step back, and finally draw the line somewhere -

I don't have to read about the voilence in schools today because I know it there, and I lived through it, sophmore year 2 shootings, and 1 riot.

They would probably feel 'almost' the same way if there were a photo of a 16 year old doing a burn out in a muscle car in front of the school.

This would be apples to oranges.. Apples to apples would be burn out vs. shooting a quail, or even drawing down.

I suspect if you had kids...whether you do or do not I don't know BUT do you want that kid touting the rifle or whatever to become a role model for more kids at that school?

Yes I do have children, and I probaly wouldn't mind this kid as a role model. If he is a decent person that enjoys sport shooting(clay pigeons), then yes he would be a good choice in my book.

Lifer

What Has Become Of Us?

IMO if it is as you described he should fight to get his picture in the yearbook. Is he pushing boundries, very questionable on that one given the props in the photo. As stated before, if he isn't allowed to use this picture what happens next year? No pictures of the baseball or hockey team because the bats and pads are threatening?

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

What Has Become Of Us?

I can tell you now that my bow and arrow will take you down one shot, quitely too. I am dead accurate out to sixty yards and you'll never hear it coming. So much for no take down power. You are right that it won't shoot as fast but still deadly. Yet they still allow archery in some schools.

The problem is that the assumtions, and promoted by anti-gun groups that all guns are bad, no matter how they are used.
    The fact the kid is a champion at shooting clay is a good chance for the schools to show that in the right hands and right training a gun can be fun and challanging.

And if nothing else he should be able to use the picture. Hell, this is suppose to be the 'Live free or die' state. But, with everyone moving here from other states with big cities it is becoming the 'do as we say state'.

Now you know why the 'old man in the mountain' fell down. He couldn't stand to see all these PC groups of people moving here to spread there ideas of how everyone else should live.

What Has Become Of Us?

Originally posted by Bad Dog
    I can tell you now that my bow and arrow will take you down one shot, quitely too. I am dead accurate out to sixty yards and you'll never hear it coming. So much for no take down power. You are right that it won't shoot as fast but still deadly. Yet they still allow archery in some schools.

AMEN BRUDDA

Littering and........

Re: gun yileding kids - great

You are not comparing apples to apples with your 'bow' example. A bow does not have the take down power as that of a semi-auto. So to answer your question...nope I have no issue with that of a kid slinging a bow over his shoulder.

We are talking about school here right? As I recall certain kids can quickly be adopted as role models for other students. Do you want that of a kid slinging a gun over his shoulder to be a role model? Do you want 'followers' and 'me too' kids all taking to the idea that guns are cool? Perhaps you do. But I certainly don't. I'm generally VERY cool about just about anything. But unless you haven't been reading the violence these days occuring in schools, then a rational person ought to take a moment, step back, and finally draw the line somewhere - which is what I feel the school authority did with banning the photo.

I know it sounds like a loss of freedom. Cuz it is. But this is school. Come on. They would probably feel 'almost' the same way if there were a photo of a 16 year old doing a burn out in a muscle car in front of the school. It would be something that is best left OUT of the viewing public for fear of exacerbating the whole issue. (read as...all of a sudden every kid is trying to do a burn out in front of the school to be 'cool')

I suspect if you had kids...whether you do or do not I don't know BUT do you want that kid touting the rifle or whatever to become a role model for more kids at that school? That kid may be responsible, but I would not attest to the other students. I know some kids from my school back in the day...and all they would have needed was a little push to all of a sudden start carrying guns. That photo probably would have set them off in the wrong direction.
    Actually, I would have no problem with my kid having someone who was into hunting or target shooting as a role model. Hunters and target shooters are people who advocate gun safety, and the proper use of weapons.

Its not like the kid had a TEC9 in his hand. He had a friggin hunting rifle. I had hunting rifles in high school. So what? It was a good hobby - I was out hunting, up early in the morning, getting exercise, and not smoking dope or robbing anybody.

I hope the kid fights it, and gets the damn pic in the yearbook.

What Has Become Of Us?

What I have read about this, the kid already hasa attorney, the NRA and local gun groups is supporting him. And the ACLU(which I usually despise) is also supporting him. I hope to see this gets settled and he gets his very tasteful photo in the yearbook.

What Has Become Of Us?

Here is the picture. Well the only copy I could find of it. Even tho I have seen a much bigger photo!

Lifer

What Has Become Of Us?

Amen to Highsider....

When I was in high school it was very common to walk into the school with a deer rifle or shot gun, walk right into the front office and hand it to the secretary so she could watch it for you. This was better than leaving it in your car all day if your locks didn't work (real small town).

***** Climbing on soapbox *****
    Maybe we should stop trying to sheild children from all the evils in the world and start teaching them responsibility, consequence, and reward for effort. When handled with the proper amount of respect and responsibility firearms are very safe. The same can be said for sportsbikes.

****** Climbing off soapbox *****

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Re: gun yileding kids - great

... A bow does not have the take down power as that of a semi-auto. So to answer your question...nope I have no issue with that of a kid slinging a bow over his shoulder...
    YOU are grossly misrepresenting the facts here, and unfairly making comparisons. His weapon is hardly a 'semi-auto. It's an over/under shotgun. Okay, call it semi-auto if it suits you. But there aren't too many people on this earth that are gonna create much havoc with a TWO shot over/under shot gun w/ bird shot...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast