Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the best dog breed?

Well I am finally moving out of the city next month and have wanted to get a dog for a long time. What are your favorite dog breeds?

I am probably going to get a dog from the pound/shelter. You can get a much better idea of their personality once grown a little bit, I don't need a puppy.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

the best dog IMHO is a mongrel. stay away from ankle biters,
    be warry of golden retrever types, their tails are always wagging and knocking things over. Beagles are ok if they don't howl. Newfies & StBernards will break furniture.

What ta hell you want a dog for?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Originally posted by RandyO
    What ta hell you want a dog for?
    Well mostly for companionship and I love animals. Having a jogging partner would be nice too. Always loved dogs but never had the opportunity to have one of my own.

Ok....first thing is first.

You have to determine what your expectations from the dog will be, what you want in a dog (like a running partner or a lap dog), what behavior you will tollerate and what you will not (like barking, or a dog that likes to roll in the water or mud) and how much work you are willing to do for grooming. Then you can determine what is the best dog for you.

The AKC has some help to determine the best breed here

Most dogs will be predictable by their breed.

Oh yeah, don't forget to consider the grooming costs...some breeds need much more work than others.

Look into it a bit more. You'd probably be hardpressed to get a purebred at a shelter. But look into the mixes if that's the route you take. You mention jogging with it. A good deal of breeds can't handle the constant pounding of frequent jogging. Most (read: I said MOST) breed's hips can't handle that. Even if they're 'certified' to have trouble free hips...

I personally like the artic-type working breeds: Huskies, Malamutes, and my all time favorite, Samoyeds. Problem with dogs like that is they're not prone to being off-lead. They like to wander...

You should chisel it down to what YOU want in a dog before you jump into this. Do you want a dog you can keep off-lead and be confident he'll stay by your side or come when called? Do you want a dog that'll play fetch? Do you want a dog that's independant or one that'll be by your side every minute? Do you want a dog that'll be territorial and thwart any visitors? Do you want a dog that you'll have to have professionally groomed every 6-8 weeks? Do you want a dog that'll be miserable in the winter/summer? There's so much that SHOULD go into finding the right companion. Be careful and chose wisely. For you and your future friend...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I have a black lab now and she's by far the best natured dog i've had or even been around. She was 6 weeks old when i got her 14 years ago, never once messed in the house, never chewed any furniture and always listened to what someone would say. Sadly this past Thursday, she was diagnosed with lung cancer and will have to be put to sleep in a few days

Definatly be looking for another black lab pup

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

sorry to hear man.

i am not far from that myself.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Hmmm, those are some good questions...

Do you want a dog you can keep off-lead and be confident he'll stay by your side or come when called? Yes or at least one that can be trained not to pull on the leach.

Do you want a dog that'll play fetch? Yep.

Do you want a dog that's independant or one that'll be by your side every minute? Somewhere in the middle.

Do you want a dog that'll be territorial and thwart any visitors? Not really important.

Do you want a dog that you'll have to have professionally groomed every 6-8 weeks? No, I would probably prefer a short haired dog or one I can groom myself.

Do you want a dog that'll be miserable in the winter/summer? Well it has to enjoy both aspects of NE.

Littering and........

You need a Rottweiler. Dharma says so.

I've got a black lab/neuf/rottie mix. She is GREAT. You can not go wrong with a lab. Happy as all hell and will follow me anywhere. Listens to what I say and is always up for playing. Arthritis is gettin to get hips after 11 years, but she still can go for morning walks.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Labs are great dogs. How are they to train? I've read that certain breeds are "strong headed" or are difficult to train. I want a dog that I feel I can train without having to dominate it.

Are there certain dogs known for jumping? Or is that more of a training issue? My gf's parents have a rotti/pitbull mix that is solid musle and can easily get 5' of vertical. It is quite overwhelming when you come over to visit but I think it is poor training tactics.

Littering and........

All of my retarded kidding aside, I will never own any breed of dog other than a Rottweiler again.

Dharma was housebroken in two weeks, and is a big, stupid teddy bear. She is protective, particularly of my wife, and very intimidating when she wants to be, but as long as you set the boundaries, she never crosses them.

She loves the snow, and doesn't have a big coat = no shedding

Yeh, I used to dog sit for a guy with two rottweilers. They were great fun. Although one didn't have it's tail docked and it could leave bruises on your leg with that bad boy!

Do the problems with hips come from running on pavement or is it just a common problem when they get older?

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

only two I've ever wanted and WILL own are Saint Bernards and Bulldogs...

Bras cause cancer.

Just Registered

Sorry to hear about the pup R7

I too had a black lab for the time I lived with my cousin (his dog) and it had to be the most well-rounded of any breed I've come across.

Very observant, sort of obedient , good on her feet, played well with other dogs, knew where to call home (the 3 times she did pull the runner off the house chasing squirrels), and was as loyal and defensive as you wanted her to be.

I'd have to say my top 3 dogs for me for general coolness and attitude are the black lab, shepherd, rottweiler. The bottom 3 are poodle, collies, retrievers.

Sweet : One thing that might not be a bad idea is if you decide you want a specific type of dog and can't find it at the pound, give a look over the internet and do some searches for animal rescue type organizations for animals.

A guy I work with has an english sheepdog and is all sorts of involved with an english sheepdog rescue association. He was just telling me a few weeks back how he helped get a dog from D.C. up to here. There was a family in Maine or somewhere that wanted him, and found a couple getting rid of theirs in D.C. and members in many states in between made arrangements on a Saturday to deliver the dog to the new home. Same can be said for many of these org's, they are pretty cool / willing to help out if they think they can find a good solid home for an animal in need of one.

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

then again, i've always had a thing for french poodles. i like rubbing chocolate on my penis and having their little scratchy tongues lick it off. blew one right in it's eye one night, little fucker ran off screaming like the 9 year old that wandered into my yard.

Franken-bike is like a fat chick.....fun to ride until a friend sees you.

Littering and........

Originally posted by highsder
    then again, i've always had a thing for french poodles. i like rubbing chocolate on my penis and having their little scratchy tongues lick it off. blew one right in it's eye one night, little fucker ran off screaming like the 9 year old that wandered into my yard.

How'd you know?

Mark, I'm SO sorry to hear that. As you know, I had to put Laszlo down last year and it was BY FAR the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. He was diagnosed with lymphoma & canine insipidus (untreatable diabetes), and it just got unbearable for me to see him as he was...

I don't know how close to him you are. But I think it made me feel better about it after I got a second & even a third opinion. For some reason, I insisted that I be with him when they took his life. I held him in my arms as he drew his last breath and slowly slipped away. As much as that scene haunts me, it helped me tremendously...

Man. I fuggin' HATE that. I wish you and the pooch the best. Enjoy what's left. It truely does make it a better situation, if there IS such a thing...

I'm sorry...

Littering and........

Originally posted by SWEET_Z
    Do the problems with hips come from running on pavement or is it just a common problem when they get older?
    The hip problem is supposed to be related to bad breeding....some breeders will guarantee no hip problems.

Also, in case I haven't said - R7, sorry to hear about the pooch, that sucks.

Thanks for the kind words

I know it sucks and i remember how seeing how bad you felt about your dog Jay. It's like losing a friend of 14 years I hate to see her suffer at the same time, i hate to see her go.
    I was going to get a second opinion but it was pretty clear on the Xrays that were taken and the way she breaths, but who knows? The vet said we should make the call by the end of the weekend, but i don't know, she still looks so happy

Sorry for the thread bastardizing

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Hip problems CAN be hereditary (sp? why can't I think of 'that' word?). But larger breeds, although 'certified' can be prone to hip problems later in life. Especially larger breeds that get in 'too much' running. Not all, mind you. But it DOES happen. It's can be easily avoided. Exercise is a necessity, no doubt. Just be careful not to 'over do' it...

I hear ya Mark. We knew it was coming down to it. We made the most of it 'til we felt he just wasn't enjoying it anymore. And as if he knew it was 'his day', the day his life ended, he was as full of life as I've ever seen him. I stayed home from work with him that day, and it was like he was a pup again. It was crushing...

You need to know that this is not being said in a negative way: But there is no easy way to do this. NOTHING will make it any easier after you lose her, and you'll question your decision for a loooong time to come (I still do). Don't let anyone fool you into believing it's gonna be easy...

'Course, ya know how to get in touch if ya need anything...

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Sorry for your dog R7....

About what best dog to get, I believe labs are great, we had one, wonderful dog. I also like boxers VERY much, I think they are beautiful, and I've never heard anything bad about them. Their colors are just gorgeous and that cute little face, they look like puppies even when they get older.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast