Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What's the best dog breed?

dogs get arthritis, just like people and for the same reasons

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I'm Streetarded!!! telefonicagsxr's Avatar

My favorite dog and the breed Im stuck on is Doberman Pinschers. I adopted my dog at 8 years old and he loves the kids and all of us, everyone is scared sh*tless of him but he wont hurt a fly. heres a little about the breed - Description: The Doberman Pinscher is compactly built, muscular and powerful, has great endurance and speed. He is elegant in appearance, of proud carriage, reflecting great nobility and temperament. He is universally known as a police dog for his devotion to duty on the German Front during World War I. The Dobie is constantly alert and is a great companion or guard dog, shyness is a fault. He makes an admirable obedience and show dog or a wonderful family pet. An excellent breed for a jogger to own, he may be a challenge because of his dominance for the elderly or disabled

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Dobermans are AWSOME! We had two when I was young...unfortunatly, one of our fucking neighbors killed him. He tried at first by giving him meat balls mixed with broken glass. The dog ended up to have surgery to repair his stomach and other parts inside. Then he tried again...by shooting him. My dad was gone to a hunting trip, my mom couldn't find the dog anywhere and he was not coming when called. SHe saw the neighbor bring a trash bag to the street that looked too rounded...she reached my dad by phone who came back on a plane, he called his friend who happend to be the boss at the dump yard...they found the dog laying there...My dad was planning on killing the neighbor...but he changed his mind. Fucker. I can't believe there is asholes like this. Our dog was wonderful and friendly. His ame was Afghan...(red one) the next one we got was named Sultan...(black one)

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Originally posted by highsider
    You need a Rottweiler. Dharma says so.

what a fucking cute dog, this is 2 times I have agreed with highsider... I love my rotties, but I think the next will be a Mastiff..
    I've had huskies, rotties, sheperds, half breeds, and even had to tolerate a small yippie dog once in a while. I have to say rotties are my fav cause if you(read YOU) trian em they are the greatest, Loyal, Obedeant, and Love to destroy BasketBalls

edit.. Oh yeah forgot about the dobies

Do all Pinschers mow the lawn?

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Consider hooking up with a shelter or local rescue outfit so that you can foster the dog for a bit. You get a chance to make sure you and the dog will get along great - it's kind of a road test for dogs.

Just know the energy level of the dog you are getting. More dogs are adopted then discarded when uninformed owners bring home a bundle of energy when they wanted something more sedate.

Rescues are the best pets, IMO. My dog, rescued from near death, knows the difference between a good day and a bad day and she's one happy mutt.

-Matt

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Originally posted by Matt
    Consider hooking up with a shelter or local rescue outfit so that you can foster the dog for a bit. You get a chance to make sure you and the dog will get along great - it's kind of a road test for dogs.

Just know the energy level of the dog you are getting. More dogs are adopted then discarded when uninformed owners bring home a bundle of energy when they wanted something more sedate.

That is some SERIOUSLY good advice...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Littering and........

Originally posted by Matt

Rescues are the best pets, IMO. My dog, rescued from near death, knows the difference between a good day and a bad day and she's one happy mutt.
    I have to agree, the pound is the bast place to get a pooch. Too many puppies out there with no home, and IMO, dogs are WAY overbred these days - often times, you can get a 9-10 month old puppy that someone paid $600 for at the pound for free, because the fucktards that bought that "cute little puppy" got sick of it and brought it to the pound.

for free? I wonder what dog pound you're talking about...all the ones around here, including MSPCA, will cost you at least $100...some of them need the money tho, to cover the fees to take care of the animals. Understandable.

I'll throw out another recommendation for dobermans.

I've had several throughout the years.

Very obedient and intelligent dogs.

They have bad reputations, but that can work for you. Most of the reputation is a result of t.v. and movies that show dobes as aggressive guard dogs.

They are GREAT with kids... I've never seen any of my dogs bark, snarl, growl or show teeth to a child.

They can be protective, but not to a point that they pose a danger.... unless of course they are trained to be overly aggressive.

They are great housedogs too... If the tail is cropped than you don't have to worry about things getting "cleaned" off the coffee table, and they don't have a tendancy to jump up on people.

They rarely lick or bother people.

They're strong and like to run and workout.

Grooming is almost non existent. A simple brushing, bath, and nail trim are all thats needed. All of which can easliy be done at home.

I rescued mine when she was 1 yr old from the pound. There are also specific doberman rescue societies around.

The only times my current dobe has shown aggression is when my mother in law was walking her and was attacked my another dog, or when she feels we are being threatened by other dogs that get too close and show agressive behavior.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

go to the pound and get yourself a mutt..

Having a dog is a bigger commitment then you are prolly counting on...so think it through very hard..

I just $900 on knee surgery for one of my dogs...insurance doesn't cover that...there goes my suspension on the Z...lol

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

You need a Mini Schnauzer

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Go to a local shelter or pound and adopt. Some of the best pets come from rescues. We got our Pitbull/Rottweiler from the Humane Society as a rescue and she is a great dog.

LRRS#167

Originally posted by MissTwisties
    Dobermans are AWSOME! We had two when I was young...unfortunatly, one of our fucking neighbors killed him. He tried at first by giving him meat balls mixed with broken glass. The dog ended up to have surgery to repair his stomach and other parts inside. Then he tried again...by shooting him. My dad was gone to a hunting trip, my mom couldn't find the dog anywhere and he was not coming when called. SHe saw the neighbor bring a trash bag to the street that looked too rounded...she reached my dad by phone who came back on a plane, he called his friend who happend to be the boss at the dump yard...they found the dog laying there...My dad was planning on killing the neighbor...but he changed his mind. Fucker. I can't believe there is asholes like this. Our dog was wonderful and friendly. His ame was Afghan...(red one) the next one we got was named Sultan...(black one)
    Shoulda reported it to the police and had the guy arrested. Didn't your family pursue any legal course of action?

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

I am probably going to get one from the shelter. I been looking on www.petfinder.com and there are lots of pooches.

It seems simple genetics makes the mutts healthier animals anyways. That and I can't see spending $500 on a puppy from a breeder, that seems pretty rediculous.

Littering and........

Dharma says "get a Rotti, or I'll kick your ass".

Originally posted by Stoneman
    IYou need to know that this is not being said in a negative way: But there is no easy way to do this. NOTHING will make it any easier after you lose her, and you'll question your decision for a loooong time to come (I still do). Don't let anyone fool you into believing it's gonna be easy...

'Course, ya know how to get in touch if ya need anything...
    I know nothing will make it easier, thanks for the support mang
    I took a picture of her today

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

r7,
    what a beautiful dog - i'm so sorry to hear that she's not doing well. i had to go thru the same thing with my english setter a few years back - it nearly broke my heart. it was the hardest decision i ever made but i felt i owed it to her to spare her from any undue pain. i still cry when i look at pictures of her.

the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.

Rottweiler!!!!!

I love rottweilers, I have had 2 and they are by far my favorite dogs, very loveable, and extra extra loyal.

Arguing on the internet is like winning a gold medal in the special olympics......whether you win or lose you are still retarded!

Lifer

Not really going to recommend any particular breeds cause I don't know much about dogs but you should be able to find a dog that can run with you if you're careful.

I met a guy a while ago mountain biking, I can't forget what kind of dog he had but he basically brings his dog riding on the trails for fairly serious distances. You just have to take a bowl, water, and food for the dog and stop every once in a while. It was not the first dog he'd done it with and he'd been lucky enough to have dogs that could handle it.

It is pretty sad IMO that the breeders have taken an animal that is probably the endurance running champ of the animal kingdom and bred them to the point that joint problems are an issue.

FWIW I've taken my roommates greyhound trail running a few times, he handles it pretty well, although I don't think he'd be able to handle running with someone who was a very good runner for periods greater than an hour. He's totally impossible to run with on the leash though which means no running on city streets... gotta take him to the woods and let him run free.

Originally posted by benVFR
    I don't think he'd be able to handle running with someone who was a very good runner for periods greater than an hour.
    Don't have that problem here!

Labradors... I have had a black one, a yellow one and currently have a chocolate and another yellow. They are wonderful family dogs, they love to play and are extremely affectionate. You can adopt one with lab rescue. I have had 3 from them. If you want their number let me know or you can look their web site up.

If you want to meet my two dogs to get a feel for what a lab is like I would be happy to give you directions to my house. They will melt your heart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12