Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's good in New Orleans?

What's good in New Orleans?

Taking my better half to New Orleans for a much-needed vaca next month. Never been.

Any recommendations on stuff to do/check out? We're only staying a few days - right outside the French Quarter.

We love old architecture, good food/drinks, museums, art, history, stuff along those lines. We have a walking tour of historic homes booked, and hopefully a steamboat ride - touristy-type-stuffs.

Radiohead is playing the night before we leave... kind of tempted to go to that!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Re: What's good in New Orleans?

Lot of places are touristy. Fact of life. Some places are worth the touristyness, or get better later on in the night.

1. Deanies: Get the BBQ shrimp and a whole fuckton of Crawfish. Flush it down with a nice Abita Ale. Place is busy/loud/huge cafeteria style, but is a sure bet.

2. Guy's Po Boy on Magazine Street: Fried Shrimp Po'Boy, fully dressed. Worth the short drive. Great lunch spot.

3. Port of Call: This is your after hours open all night place to have a burger and baked potato. That's all there is on the menu. Wash them down with a Hurricane, not 2 Hurricanes. Trust me. This is the result if you try to drink 2, even for an experienced drinker. I was the sober one. Notice the remains of a Hurricane on the table and the passed out guy in the mirror.

4. WW2 Museum: This is VERY worth it. Been there twice and am glad I went both times. Great for a quiet/rainy afternoon.

5. The New Orleans Zoo: MASSIVE. Like, we thought we'd be in and out in an hour or two. Ended up staying the better part of the day. Pretty nice.

6. Herb Saint: $$$$, but this is your fine dining experience for dinner. I'd recommend it highly.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Nice, great list. Didn't even consider the zoo. We are staying a few blocks from the WW2 museum too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Lot of places are touristy. Fact of life. Some places are worth the touristyness, or get better later on in the night.

3. Port of Call: This is your after hours open all night place to have a burger and baked potato. That's all there is on the menu. Wash them down with a Hurricane, not 2 Hurricanes. Trust me. This is the result if you try to drink 2, even for an experienced drinker. I was the sober one. Notice the remains of a Hurricane on the table and the passed out guy in the mirror.
    Oh boy. We'll probably just need to split one - we're amateurs.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

We loved the Central Grocery Muffuletta We made the mistake(?) of ordering two full size ones. Made for great hotel room snacking.
    We also did the steamboat tour on the Natchez. I don't recall anything good or bad about it but was something to do for a couple hours.
    The zoo as Clayton said is massive. Definitely worth the visit.

Last edited by McBiggity; 03-06-17 at 10:34 AM.

Be prepared to be a fat kid.. Eat your way from one end of the French quarter to the other. Everything is fantastic.
    Also, spend a little cash, over by the french market there's tours that go out to the St. Louis Cemetary no. 1; do it. It's actually really really cool and a nice way to spend the morning before it heats up. All of the audobon museums are cool, I think the Ripley's museum is up and runnning again.
    New Orleans cigar factory has a sampler for like $30, well worth it.
    If you're there for even longer, take a tour of one of the plantations, they're absolutely breathtaking. If not, just roam and eat and take in what you can man. It's one of my favorite places on earth.

The only that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. I'm a good guy with a gun.

Other notable places:

Coup's for a planters punch and some jambalaya. Not great, but decent. Tasso, rabbit, sausage, chicken, shrimp, crawfish all in one bowl.

Muffaletta is a good to-go lunch from Central.

Breakfast? GOTTA hit up Cafe DuMonde for some Beignets and Chicory coffee.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650

Spend time on Frenchman St, especially after hours. Bourbon St can be fun and all, but Frenchman St is the best spot for great music. Blue Nile and Vaso were my favorite spots.

Food:
    -Try the Ferdi po boy at Mother's
    -Get breakfast at Stanley at least one morning. Try the Eggs Stanley (oyster benedict) or Eggs Stella (soft-shell crab benedict).
    -FWIW, Cafe du Monde is a kitschy tourist trap...go to Cafe Beignet in the back of Musical Legends Park on Bourbon St; the beignets are bigger and better. If you absolutely must go to du Monde, go after 10pm when there's no line.
    -The crawfish enchilada's at Juan's Flying Burrito (the one in mid-city) are the best enchilada's I've ever had. Ever. Oh, and PBRs are $1 at happy hour.

Find time to make it down to the Garden District. Get dinner at the Commander's Palace.

Visit at least one of the cemeteries.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    4. WW2 Museum: This is VERY worth it. Been there twice and am glad I went both times. Great for a quiet/rainy afternoon.

Also along those lines, the State Museum on Jackson square, if there's time.

For a place that surprised us with how good it is, the Italian Barrel.

Sure, it's italian in NO, but man, they do it WELL.

We came home from NO and people asked us what the best meal we had all week was. We were a bit embarrassed to say an italian place.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650

I don't know if I'd say Cafe Beignet is better, but it's a much nicer experience. Highly recommend getting up early as fuck and wandering all over before anyone else is out. It'll give you a view of that area that not a lot of people see. I think I was up before 7 walking around with my girlfriend which was very cool.

GW Finns has excellent food, highly recommended.

You really can't go wrong down there though. You're gonna have a good time. I can't wait to go back myself.

Yeah, Cafe DuMonde is busy as hell. If there is an alternative with better Beignets, do it.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

cafe du monde is awesome, great for an early wake up call to avoid the crowds. we went every morning.

hmmmm......

Contrary to my usual practice/advice, I'd say to stick close to the touristy stuff. There are good experiences to be had there.
    Outside of those, that city can be pretty sketchy. I visited an acquaintance there once overnight.
    On his advice, we rolled our bikes up a ramp and parked them in the living room for the night.
    In the morning, we found there was no hot water for the shower.
    We investigated and found that during the night, some thieves had broken into the garage and *stolen the water heater*!

PhilB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Anothe vote for central grocery. I can smell the garlic and olives from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

The cafeteria here at work made some Mufaletta's last week for Fat Tuesday. They were spot on. Loved it.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Court of two sisters. Best meal i've had in my life. Most amazing Duck special!
    The Court of Two Sisters | A French Quarter Courtyard Restaurant

Welcome to Cafe Du Monde New Orleans | Cafe Du Monde French Market Coffee Stand
    café au laits, chicory coffee & beignets

Home of the Hand Grenade Drink | Tropical Isle New Orleans
    GRENADE!

The Oldest French-Creole Fine Dining Restaurant in New Orleans
    AMAZING HISTORY all on the walls. lots of unique rooms
    Antoine's Restaurant | French Quarter Restaurant Since 1840

music ( Was hoping for something more but is worked o.k)
    Maison Bourbon | New Orleans Live Jazz Club

http://www.patobriens.com/patobriens/default.asp
    for a hurricane. nice inside court to sit and relax and drink

POBoy MUST
    http://mahonyspoboys.com/

Last edited by nt650hawk; 03-06-17 at 03:39 PM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

On a side note, if you wander down any side streets off Bourbon St (there's some really good hidden gems off the beaten path) and someone says "I know where you got them shoes from," keep walking.

I got the same warning before I went, and I had that exact encounter, verbatim. Crazy city. I love it.

+1. Was going to come in here to say it.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    "I know where you got them shoes from,"
    Me: Really?
    Bum: You got them on your feet!
    Me: No, I have them on my feet. I got them from a shoe store.
    Bum: FUCK YOU!

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Acme Oyster used to have crazy deals on raw oysters.

Years ago a bar called the dungeon was a great after hours bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Holy smokes this is great. We're literally planning a second trip already to fit it all in.

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    On a side note, if you wander down any side streets off Bourbon St (there's some really good hidden gems off the beaten path) and someone says "I know where you got them shoes from," keep walking.

I got the same warning before I went, and I had that exact encounter, verbatim. Crazy city. I love it.
    Um... noted. Thanks for the heads up

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

don't for get those.. "ill take your picture with your phone/cell".. "that will be $5 please." Ransom or your device is gone or hound you to death.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Villalobos and bring home a friend or 2
    Home - Villalobos Rescue Center

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

defining "budget tourer" ctbandit's Avatar

Haven't read responses but if you're into craft beer you HAVE to check out Courtyard Brewing. They make some fantastic stuff, but also have a ton of great stuff from other breweries on tap. If you're looking for beer that you won't get up here, Stein's Market has got it. We really liked that atmosphere and places on Frenchman St(?)a lot more than other areas. Cafe du monde was fine early in the morning. The Banana Foster French Toast was def worth a visit. Ride the street cars. It's a great experience. Walk around downtown with your alcoholic beverage, it's really cool to be able to order a drink and then leave the bar/restaurant with it. I dunno what else. I REALLY liked NOLA.

My favorite bar in New Orleans is The Avenue on St. Charles Ave. Open 24 hours, good food, probably the best tap list in the state. It's low key during the day, has 2 levels and a nice outdoor area.

Bourbon St is nice but if you walk it a couple times you can pretty much see what you want. Fat Catz has a pretty awesome house band though. Check out the Cats Meow to watch some hilarious drunk karaoke if you want. If you want to see some tits the Hustler Club is decent.

ctbandit just mentioned Frenchman St which is where I usually head to (I am down here a couple times a month for work). Its a lot less crazy/drunk/garbage water smelly than Bourbon. Great music in pretty much anywhere on this street any night of the week.

The WWII museum is 100% worth it. There is a nice cigar shop down on the waterfront where they have a house guy rolling. Check out City Park and see if there is anything going on, they have a pretty cool botanical garden there. Swamp airboat tours may sound dumb but honestly they are pretty cool if you want to see some gators.

Canal st is also great to walk around.

As far as safety, just keep your wits about you like any other city. I've never had any trouble and spent a decent amount of time down there. I've been blacked out drunk walking by myself at all hours of the night/morning(I am not a large person) and never had any trouble. Avoid dark/empty/sketchy looking places. If you're driving, stay out of the lower wards. It is a bit of a different world down there, very eye opening and sobering to put it lightly. Greater NOLA is great but there are a lot of people struggling in the area still. Stay away from City Park at night unless there is something going on. You can get into as much or as little trouble as you are looking for so have fun!

Last edited by ninjers; 03-16-17 at 07:36 PM.

Great info everyone, huge help. Keep it coming. Two weeks until takeoff, we're pretty excited! I'm not usually a fan of crowded places so I'll definitely be seeking out some good beers straight away. I'm sure Lea will be looking for a good martini or two or three. And it's been a while since I had a good cigar. Heck yeah.

This is the grown-up trip, we're hoping to do a road trip with the kiddo to visit family friends there again in the summer.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast