Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What's good in New Orleans?

defining "budget tourer" ctbandit's Avatar

Re: What's good in New Orleans?

Quote Originally Posted by ninjers View Post
    My favorite bar in New Orleans is The Avenue on St. Charles Ave. Open 24 hours, good food, probably the best tap list in the state. It's low key during the day, has 2 levels and a nice outdoor area.
    I 2nd that^ Forgot the name of it, but this was an awesome bar. Tons of good beer on tap.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

SO following. Our February cruise sails out of New Orleans and we'll be spending an extra day on either end of the cruise there...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

That's exactly what I did. We sailed on a Sunday I think and arrived Thursday evening. We spent all day Friday walking around and checking things out, did some more of the same on Saturday and then got on the ship.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Leaving Saturday morning!

I compiled all the suggestions into a nice little NESR travel guide so I could print it out, feel free to edit/print/share..

NESR Does NOLA - Google Docs

We decided to do the steamboat on Monday, looks pretty touristy but we MUST go on a steamboat.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

NOLA was awesome. I think we packed a week into two days, thoroughly exhausted but so worth it. Definitely want to return with the kiddo soon.

Food was amazing, wife survived a Hurricane, great music, cool museums. The home tour was interesting but not what we expected, less amazing architecture and more crazy rich-ish people filling their homes with overpriced eclectic junk and showboating to anyone that would stop by. Not recommended unless you're into gaudy French antiques and obnoxious rich people. (In fairness, two of the homeowners were extremely nice, the others were like nails on a chalkboard)

Steamboat Natchez was worth doing, but once and only once. Terrible food, hundreds of tourists packed on a boat, incredibly long lines on/off. Really cool way to see the Mississippi and tour a steam engine but the most touristy attraction of all.

Our favorite parts were the insectorium and just walking around the French quarter (Frenchman st, etc) listening to music, eating, and checking out the old buildings. Lucked out with some great weather too.

AND.. I was asked where I got my shoes from. No joke.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    NOLA was awesome. I think we packed a week into two days, thoroughly exhausted but so worth it. Definitely want to return with the kiddo soon.

Food was amazing, wife survived a Hurricane, great music, cool museums. The home tour was interesting but not what we expected, less amazing architecture and more crazy rich-ish people filling their homes with overpriced eclectic junk and showboating to anyone that would stop by. Not recommended unless you're into gaudy French antiques and obnoxious rich people. (In fairness, two of the homeowners were extremely nice, the others were like nails on a chalkboard)

Steamboat Natchez was worth doing, but once and only once. Terrible food, hundreds of tourists packed on a boat, incredibly long lines on/off. Really cool way to see the Mississippi and tour a steam engine but the most touristy attraction of all.

Our favorite parts were the insectorium and just walking around the French quarter (Frenchman st, etc) listening to music, eating, and checking out the old buildings. Lucked out with some great weather too.

AND.. I was asked where I got my shoes from. No joke.
    most of the Steamboat Natchez trip i hung out in the engine room

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    most of the Steamboat Natchez trip i hung out in the engine room
    Engine room was cool, we ended up hanging out down there for the last part of the trip too.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12