Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

What's your realistic dream car?

What's your realistic dream car?

Lets say your budget is realistic for your future. Not that you're willing to spend the money on it but you could afford it if all the cards lined up and you threw caution to the wind.

Lets make it a ballpark for sub $100,000 for most of us. Again not that's a reasonable sum to spend on a depreciating asset, but this is play pretend. You can adjust your figures as needed based on your income.

What would be the car you'd have in your garage & why? Definitely doesn't have to be new and likely won't. 2001 Viper? air cooled 911? Used Lambo?

Since this is realistic, it's not just the dream of driving it but actual ownership in mind. IE repairs, part availability, long term fixing problems (clutches on a lot of exotics), paying insurance, whether you'd be bored of it etc.

Post up a picture to keep it interesting.

Feel free to browse BAT for ideas. Seems like a lot of people with money are fulfilling their dreams and are driving the used market up like crazy.

Mine is in my garage

Random picture for ideas

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Vovchandr; 12-07-20 at 11:56 AM.

Re: What's your realistic dream car?

VW Rabbit Pick-up (the Caddy). Absolutely mint. Tastefully modded, on air bags, with a rim/tire combo than can be daily driven. The reason for air is to make it a daily driver too. Modern Diesel engine swap.

When the day comes that I move out of the city and have a bay for a toy, I'll have one.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    VW Rabbit Pick-up (the Caddy). Absolutely mint. Tastefully modded, on air bags, with a rim/tire combo than can be daily driven. The reason for air is to make it a daily driver too. Modern Diesel engine swap.

When the day comes that I move out of the city and have a bay for a toy, I'll have one.
    Thats perfect

Yup. Just like that. Single rounds, lowered, perfect paint. That's it.
    I noticed you asked for a reason...I'm a VW fan boi. I've never owned a mk1. I want something I can drive everywhere, which for me means motorcycles and bicycles need to be able to make the trip too.

That one you posted is great, but I'd probably go more conservative on the wheels/tires to retain drivability.

C7 Z06. Black.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I want Subaru to make a new wrx hatch. 6spd. All the creature comforts.
    Toss a few mild chassis, intake and fueling mods (no fart exhaust) and I’d be happy as a pig in slop.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Yup. Just like that. Single rounds, lowered, perfect paint. That's it.
    I noticed you asked for a reason...I'm a VW fan boi. I've never owned a mk1. I want something I can drive everywhere, which for me means motorcycles and bicycles need to be able to make the trip too.

That one you posted is great, but I'd probably go more conservative on the wheels/tires to retain drivability.
    Random quick Google find. Looks clean for sure.

I'm a brief passive owner of an MK2 Turbo VR6 swapped one. Never drove it or even really sat in it. Friend had to get rid of it quick, I bought it and resold it to a different VW fanatic who has most generations in his garage right now among Corrados etc.

Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    C7 Z06. Black.
    Since nobody is posting pictures

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I sat in a friends Stingray. Felt like a super car. I don't want one, but that is sooooooooo much car for $50k (pre owned). The removable roof was the icing on the cake.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    C7 Z06. Black.
    Nastiest car I've ever driven. I still can hear it WOT in my brain.

What's your realistic dream car?-annotation-2020-12-07-114528-a

1967 Corvette with the fabled L88 427CID engine. Hands down my ultimate dreamer.

What's your realistic dream car?-1967-l88-jpg

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I've always wanted a Ferrari... the older ones are easily affordable, but then major maintenance is an ongoing pain.

Not sure what I would put in the garage right now if I had a choice

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    I've always wanted a Ferrari... the older ones are easily affordable, but then major maintenance is an ongoing pain.

Not sure what I would put in the garage right now if I had a choice
    You're 100% right, which is sort of why I made the thread.

$75,000 depreciated Ferrari seems like a good dream to have on paper - you imagine yourself driving it, being seen in it, showing it off etc.

But that dream quickly falls apart once you have to do a $20,000 timing belt job at like 20,000 miles. (exaggerating here but still not too far off)

Which is why it's typically not something any of us would want to own realistically long term.

My car, the Caterham is a perfect mix of being exotic enough to keep me happy but simple enough to where I can do most of my own repairs and parts availability isn't a problem (Ford Focus Zetec stock motor). Even still getting parts from England is annoying enough.

What's your realistic dream car?-2019-porsche-911-gt3-rs

My wife is in med school. It'll be a decade, but, eventually. Budget be damned.

Viper would be on top of the list
    A modded the F out RX8, yes the shitty mazda RX8.
    Can you get a GT3 for under 100k? Then that too.
    What about an older Skyline done up? Throw that in there too.
    Any of those would make me very very happy to own - other than upfront costs there are several reasons I don’t own any of them. Two biggest ones: lack of storage and lack of time to enjoy them. Closely on the #3 reason New England shitty roads. #4 New England winters

What's your realistic dream car?-c3f9d14b-6439-4948-834b-8c84293287bb

1955 Chevy Bel-air 2 door, same color and look as the picture.

Drivetrain I’d want a supercharged Vortec 8.1L V8, with a 6L80 transmission.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    What's your realistic dream car?-2019-porsche-911-gt3-rs

My wife is in med school. It'll be a decade, but, eventually. Budget be damned.
    So much yes

What's your realistic dream car?-screen-shot-2020-12-07-a

FACT: LIBERALS ABHOR CENSORSHIP. LEFTISTS WELCOME SILENCING THEIR OPPONENTS

Lifer

I started a thread like this last year but here is the jist of it.

I went over this myself. My limit was your listed limit. I went over everything i could think of and made a list. Some notable items were Gallardo, c7 Corvette z06, Noble, De Tomaso, 911 Turbo, 2nd gen and up viper, 1st gen Camaro, 2nd gen Corvette etc. I even had some low cheaper cars like an SVO, Cobra, Typhoon, Saleen, Lightning, evi 4 or 5, g8 sti, skyline and c5 z06. There were many others too but those were the ones i really tried driving with the intent to purchase.
    My criteria was that it had to be a car i would hold on to, hopefully for life like my now ancient gsxr 750. No one will get that out of my hands unless i am 6ft under and i would like the car to be the same way, thats why i leaned more towards older vehicles. I also wanted it to be on the easy side to work which put cars like a GTR out of the equation pretty quickly.
    I ended up with a gt500. Wasnt looking for one but came across a deal i couldnt pass up. I even thought it was fake it was so good a deal. Hopefully it is my dream car but i havent even seen it in person. Im stuck overseas with all this covid nonsense so its in a warehouse in virgina. If it turns out its not my dream car i will go right after an SVO or Typhoon or start the Saleen hunt again so i guess those three are my actual answer.

Hmmm, too many to choose.

Nissan Skyline R34
    Ford Pantera
    Shelby Cobra
    Newer sti

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post

$75,000 depreciated Ferrari seems like a good dream to have on paper - you imagine yourself driving it, being seen in it, showing it off etc.

But that dream quickly falls apart once you have to do a $20,000 timing belt job at like 20,000 miles. (exaggerating here but still not too far off)

Which is why it's typically not something any of us would want to own realistically long term.

My car, the Caterham is a perfect mix of being exotic enough to keep me happy but simple enough to where I can do most of my own repairs and parts availability isn't a problem (Ford Focus Zetec stock motor). Even still getting parts from England is annoying enough.
    My company is about 100ft away from the front door of the Caterham factory in Dartford. If you ever really need help with parts let me know and i will see what i can do.

I race against those Caterhams all the time here. They are crazy on the track. Like little angry hornets zipping about. My e36 was no match for them. What i gained on the straight was gone in an instant on a corner then i never saw them again.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    My company is about 100ft away from the front door of the Caterham factory in Dartford. If you ever really need help with parts let me know and i will see what i can do.

I race against those Caterhams all the time here. They are crazy on the track. Like little angry hornets zipping about. My e36 was no match for them. What i gained on the straight was gone in an instant on a corner then i never saw them again.
    Hah. Small world. Can you tell them to figure out how to send/pack windshields better? I've ordered 2 and what I received was more akin to a package of skittles instead of a single piece of glass. I would love to tour the facility one day. If I ever end up in England, definitely making my way over there.

In regards to the track you're 100% right. It's quite fun to watch videos of even the fast Cats being destroyed on the straights just to revenge in corners. The trackdays I've done with it with the exception of 1 have been Caterhams only so it's a much more even playing field in that regard. The one track day I've done against other cars was on NYST and it felt like cheating being on such a small track in a small nimble car.

GT is a great choice. Hope it lives up to expectations.

I think I remember you old thread but the thought came to mind and I made another to change topic from politics and Covid for a minute.

One of the great things about my dreamer. Just your "typical" GM big block and GM running gear. Nothing exotic about repairs. Aluminum heads is about exotic as those got. LOL!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Nastiest car I've ever driven. I still can hear it WOT in my brain.

What's your realistic dream car?-annotation-2020-12-07-114528-a
    Student let me drive a Gransport version in anger at Palmer a few years ago. What an animal. I can only imagine what a Stingray would be like.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

In regards to the track you're 100% right. It's quite fun to watch videos of even the fast Cats being destroyed on the straights just to revenge in corners. The trackdays I've done with it with the exception of 1 have been Caterhams only so it's a much more even playing field in that regard. The one track day I've done against other cars was on NYST and it felt like cheating being on such a small track in a small nimble car.
    Sounds like a Spec Miata at a track day with M cars everywhere.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast