Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

What's your realistic dream car?

Re: What's your realistic dream car?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Hah. Small world. Can you tell them to figure out how to send/pack windshields better? I've ordered 2 and what I received was more akin to a package of skittles instead of a single piece of glass. I would love to tour the facility one day. If I ever end up in England, definitely making my way over there.

In regards to the track you're 100% right. It's quite fun to watch videos of even the fast Cats being destroyed on the straights just to revenge in corners. The trackdays I've done with it with the exception of 1 have been Caterhams only so it's a much more even playing field in that regard. The one track day I've done against other cars was on NYST and it felt like cheating being on such a small track in a small nimble car.

GT is a great choice. Hope it lives up to expectations.

I think I remember you old thread but the thought came to mind and I made another to change topic from politics and Covid for a minute.
    Haha. If you saw the factory you would understand why things get broken. It was probably broken before they even packed it. British and manufacturing are words that shouldnt go together. This is coming from a man with a classic mini and spitfire.

Interestingly most track days here limit the amount of Caterhams allowed to enter. I have no idea why. Usually its like 6 allowed out a field of 50. They let all the lotus cars in though which are even more of a menace on the track.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    A modded the F out RX8, yes the shitty mazda RX8.
    Can you get a GT3 for under 100k? Then that too.
    You can't, no, but again, my wife is going to make bigly dollarydoos so to hell with the budget lol. It'll just be a long wait.

I'd have probably put the 1 pearlie white FD rx7 on the list, but I already have a montego FD.

In a complete twist from what I normally go for, I really want something like this. It just speaks to me in a way I can't describe. I'll have to settle for a replica though.

What's your realistic dream car?-1966-ford-gt40-mk-ii

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    but I already have a montego FD.
    Where are the fucking pics???

number9, rotary tragic

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Student let me drive a Gransport version in anger at Palmer a few years ago. What an animal. I can only imagine what a Stingray would be like.
    Thatís the zo6

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

In a complete twist from what I normally go for, I really want something like this. It just speaks to me in a way I can't describe. I'll have to settle for a replica though.

What's your realistic dream car?-1966-ford-gt40-mk-ii
    Just so we are clear. You'd like the GT40 (replica) not the 2000+ GT? Also a great choice. Factory 5 has great kits like the red Daytona above.

Paging Not Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    That’s the zo6
    Apparently the versions are all jumbled in my head

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Just so we are clear. You'd like the GT40 (replica) not the 2000+ GT? Also a great choice. Factory 5 has great kits like the red Daytona above.
    The old school sledge hammer. I also have a thing for Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds, both versions. Id take a new Mustang over a modern Ford GT anyday too. That car does nothing for me.

I'd love a real GT40 but it would require a large lottery ticket to hit.

Last edited by e30addict; 12-07-20 at 02:23 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

I'm glad I don't care about car performance. All of these modern rocket ships you guys are posting definitely get me going...then I peel back one layer of the onion and realize I just wouldn't go to the track with a car and I absolutely couldn't use these things on the street. It isn't just about the dollars, but the fact is that in any of those modern cars, the cost of a set of tires and a set of brakes buys you a set-up SV650. I am using that example just to make a point - I have no desire to own an SV. I'm more than happy to watch re-runs of UK Top Gear to scratch the car itch.

And that's the beauty about motorcycles. Give me $20k and I'll buy and build an R6 that will satisfy every one of my speed needs. Actually, give me $8k and I'll buy a used one already done.
    And with motorcycles, you got like 6 options to go to the track. A whole lot simpler, but a lot less room for style. I do honestly get it.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 12-07-20 at 02:26 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

C6 427 Convert What's your realistic dream car?-c6-427-jpg

The old school sledge hammer. I also have a thing for Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds, both versions. Id take a new Mustang over a modern Ford GT anyday too. That car does nothing for me.

I used to work in New Britain CT. I'd drive through a pretty run down neighborhoods to get to work. One of the old guys I work with used to talk about his buddies shop, around the corner, that specialized in kit cars. He took us there one time and it was wild. You would never guess from the outside (Engine shop on one side of the street, in an unmarked two family house, and regular shop behind some chainlink fence, but they manufacture kits, and do professional work on original Cobra's. They do a GT40 replica as well, welding and improving the frame. The red one is an original cobra. The sign says don't fucking touch me.

http://www.erareplicas.com/

What's your realistic dream car?-20131004_093813-jpgWhat's your realistic dream car?-20131004_093850-jpgWhat's your realistic dream car?-20131004_093754-jpgWhat's your realistic dream car?-20131004_093859-jpg

Guess the don't make the GT40 kit anymore, but good reading info, if you're interested.
    http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm

Small chassis
    The ERAGT CHASSIS is visually and structurally very similar to the original GT40, but the E.R.A. chassis incorporates many improvements to implement the transition from pure race car to practical street transportation.
    We created a semi-monocoque structure like the original one. Ours uses 14 to 20 gage stainless steel , slightly thicker than original, instead of the original cold-rolled mild steel. The chassis is about 50 lbs heavier, a small price to pay for greatly increased corrosion resistance and reliability. The only major change from the original is the substitution of a graphite/kevlar reinforced plastic roof for the original steel one (which wasn't particularly structural anyway.)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jimmycapp; 12-07-20 at 02:38 PM.

I also have a thing for Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds, both versions.
    Any man with a pulse probably does. I HATE muscle cars. That one id love to have.

2021 Jaguar fpace SVR. The X3M was a strong contender but itís kinda fugly to me.

An SUV may seem an odd choice, but itís about function and performance, and a bit of luxury. Leasing makes it super dreamy. No fixes to worry about, I hammer it for three years then give it back and get what ever I want next. Warranty always in place. Dream vehicles for me are ones I never have to think or worry about. No problem paying a premium if it goes like hell, wraps my dishpan hands in luxury, and doesnít make me want to puke when I see it in my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Where are the fucking pics???

number9, rotary tragic
    What's your realistic dream car?-20200826_192036-jpg

It's nothing fancy. I haven't even properly washed it since I've owned it. This was just a quick rinse. It came with a lot of issues and unknowns. I have found a lot of loose bolts and other scary junk. It was running like ass so I bought and installed a wideband for it and found it running PIG rich, like 9.5:1 everywhere I could make it run. After some messing around and testing this and that I ended up buying a new fpr to replace what's in it, but while I had the intake off to do that I found the primary rail has been machined to accept the 850cc secondary injectors, instead of the oem 550cc. Do that math.. and they're 54% larger than they're supposed to be. So that's why it runs like ass, ha. I also found some really scary stuff in the harness while I was doing this, so I ordered some new terminals and I'm going to redo some stuff on the harness. Also found a broken tab on the tps connector which I'm replacing. I think two weeks from now I could have it driving nicely on a base map. Then I have ohlins coilovers for it and all new brake parts to install.

Just kinda makes you wonder what else is fucked up, because honestly, nothing the PO did was done properly. Even the connectors for the intercooler fan are just hanging there. I have to figure out exactly where those need to be tied in.

What's your realistic dream car?-180026_front_3-4_web-jpg

Fuck the $100,000.00 if I'm dreaming, I'm getting what I really want, A 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Roadster.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I'd love an original GT40 as well. Pure sex on wheels.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I'm glad I don't care about car performance. All of these modern rocket ships you guys are posting definitely get me going...then I peel back one layer of the onion and realize I just wouldn't go to the track with a car and I absolutely couldn't use these things on the street. It isn't just about the dollars, but the fact is that in any of those modern cars, the cost of a set of tires and a set of brakes buys you a set-up SV650. I am using that example just to make a point - I have no desire to own an SV. I'm more than happy to watch re-runs of UK Top Gear to scratch the car itch.
    While you're not wrong about the maintenance cost, the base C7 is actually quite easy to drive like a grandma, will swallow at least a long weekend's worth of food and baggage, and works as a Home Depot hauler depending on what you're picking up (targa top FTW!). The downsides to daily use include getting over the ass to reach in the cargo area, limboing under the roof and across the grand expanse of door sill to enter/exit, and not being able to confidently pull into any parking space that has a hard barrier at the front. BUT...it is 100% just as happy cruising at 20 mph as it is trying to reach 200.

Bill Cool --- LRRS/CCS EX #47 --- 2020 LRRS LWSS Chamion, 2018/19/20 LRRS Double Backup Champion GTL and ULSB, 2012 LRRS Champion AM Thunderbike --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD CompuTrack

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post

And that's the beauty about motorcycles. Give me $20k and I'll buy and build an R6 that will satisfy every one of my speed needs. Actually, give me $8k and I'll buy a used one already done.
    And with motorcycles, you got like 6 options to go to the track. A whole lot simpler, but a lot less room for style. I do honestly get it.
    I think you & I interpreted the intent of this thread differently.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    While you're not wrong about the maintenance cost, the base C7 is actually quite easy to drive like a grandma, will swallow at least a long weekend's worth of food and baggage, and works as a Home Depot hauler depending on what you're picking up (targa top FTW!). The downsides to daily use include getting over the ass to reach in the cargo area, limboing under the roof and across the grand expanse of door sill to enter/exit, and not being able to confidently pull into any parking space that has a hard barrier at the front. BUT...it is 100% just as happy cruising at 20 mph as it is trying to reach 200.
    Its definitely something specific to me, and not everyone. I've never been happy just doing something every once in a while. I think a lot of us have that trait. We went to the track because the street wasn't enough. We raced because track days weren't enough. To me, a car that gets the groceries and also rips at a track day is just a big case of mediocrity and trade offs. There are some exceptions, which would put me in an Evo/STI/GTR camp. I just don't care enough. I would just prefer to have a kick ass track motorcycle, and then have an original non-performance daily driver that turns heads. That's why my "dream car" is an old, VW pickup.

This is all in my opinion, I completely understand the other view points. Just not my personality.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 12-07-20 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    What's your realistic dream car?-20200826_192036-jpg

It's nothing fancy. I haven't even properly washed it since I've owned it. This was just a quick rinse. It came with a lot of issues and unknowns. I have found a lot of loose bolts and other scary junk. It was running like ass so I bought and installed a wideband for it and found it running PIG rich, like 9.5:1 everywhere I could make it run. After some messing around and testing this and that I ended up buying a new fpr to replace what's in it, but while I had the intake off to do that I found the primary rail has been machined to accept the 850cc secondary injectors, instead of the oem 550cc. Do that math.. and they're 54% larger than they're supposed to be. So that's why it runs like ass, ha. I also found some really scary stuff in the harness while I was doing this, so I ordered some new terminals and I'm going to redo some stuff on the harness. Also found a broken tab on the tps connector which I'm replacing. I think two weeks from now I could have it driving nicely on a base map. Then I have ohlins coilovers for it and all new brake parts to install.

Just kinda makes you wonder what else is fucked up, because honestly, nothing the PO did was done properly. Even the connectors for the intercooler fan are just hanging there. I have to figure out exactly where those need to be tied in.
    Of all the modified cars and bikes I've owned, only one was modified 'properly', i.e. in a way that wasn't half-assed and didn't cause problems... for everything else, whatever the PO touched turned to poo the minute I bought it.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lets say your budget is realistic for your future. Not that you're willing to spend the money on it but you could afford it if all the cards lined up and you threw caution to the wind.

Lets make it a ballpark for sub $100,000 for most of us. Again not that's a reasonable sum to spend on a depreciating asset, but this is play pretend. You can adjust your figures as needed based on your income.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I think you & I interpreted the intent of this thread differently.
    I took this as something I would actually buy. If the topic was "unlimited resources" then I'd have one of everything.

I'm not really into the fancy car thing all that much anymore, kinda like I fell out of love with street-only motorcycles.

Adventure is where the name of the game is now.

If I were to drop that kind of money on a car, it would be a 4-door Wrangler Rubicon with moderate lift, big tires and all the mods necessary to make it an overlander's dream. Then I'd spend some more on a high clearance pop-up travel trailer that also had a hitch with room for a dirt bike. Then I'd use the rest to take a month off work and go overlanding across the US.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Any man with a pulse probably does. I HATE muscle cars. That one id love to have.
    Honestly used to LOVE that car. Then a few things killed it for me. 1) I found out that it's not a factory car but essentially a kit car. 2) Local built an amazing replica and I'm kinda over it. I still appreciate it but certainly not something I can see myself enjoying owning and driving. Then again I find little interest in long term owning old muscle cars.

Ariel Atom falls in the same category. After owning the Caterham I'm much happier with the 7 as a bare bones type of go kart than an Atom. I have heat, history, windshield, parts, top etc.