Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

What's your realistic dream car?

Re: What's your realistic dream car?

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    2 things, that’s a perfect vette.
    2jz engine? No shit!
    I've wanted one ever since Paul Walker made it cool.

And it turns out everything from the transmission to the bottom end to the diff is overbuilt in that car to accept powahhh.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by Studio X View Post
    Yes, you’re right - 2nd gen. My other choice would be a 240Z.

My father in his second (or third) childhood had a series of Datsun 240/280/300 Zs. Great fun those things. Have a wonderful mental image of doing a 4 wheel drift pass a VA state trooper in a 300 Z turbo on a back road. For some reason he didn’t turn around. Perhaps he appreciated the artistry of a well executed, controlled drift. Either that, or the Z simply disappeared down a side road.
    I had a 280 around 1991 which I never really loved (it was fairly hammered). I then got the 300 and that car was a blast!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This thread is saving NESR.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Yup. Just like that. Single rounds, lowered, perfect paint. That's it.
    I noticed you asked for a reason...I'm a VW fan boi. I've never owned a mk1. I want something I can drive everywhere, which for me means motorcycles and bicycles need to be able to make the trip too.

That one you posted is great, but I'd probably go more conservative on the wheels/tires to retain drivability.
    I had one and the engine was definitely a down fall. Could barely maintain 60mph on the highway if there was any sort of slight incline (I had the NA diesel - 1982 was before the TD came out). I actually got a ticket in it once. I had a KLR650 in the back and was going down a hill into a valley. Picking up speed on the downhill to try to carry on the uphill was the game. The cop was at the bottom of the hill. He asked me to shut the truck off. I told him if I did I wasn't sure it would start back up again. Also gave him my school ID instead of my license because I was so nervous.

Had to push it out of the senior parking lot at high school many times because the glow plugs didn't heat it up enough to get it running. Would push it out of the parking lot and pop start it down the huge hill next to the school. Definitely could see an AAZ transplant being great.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I had one and the engine was definitely a down fall. Could barely maintain 60mph on the highway if there was any sort of slight incline (I had the NA diesel - 1982 was before the TD came out). I actually got a ticket in it once. I had a KLR650 in the back and was going down a hill into a valley. Picking up speed on the downhill to try to carry on the uphill was the game. The cop was at the bottom of the hill. He asked me to shut the truck off. I told him if I did I wasn't sure it would start back up again. Also gave him my school ID instead of my license because I was so nervous.

Had to push it out of the senior parking lot at high school many times because the glow plugs didn't heat it up enough to get it running. Would push it out of the parking lot and pop start it down the huge hill next to the school. Definitely could see an AAZ transplant being great.
    Yeah dude. The old VW motors are NOT powerful or reliable. The 16v gas are "good" in a lightweight mk1, but I couldn't imagine with any sort of weight in it. As much fun as it would be wrenching on one with my dad (maybe I would change my name to Jesse, but my dad is not in prison) a current diesel motor would be sooooo slick in that thing, but I'm not sure if its even practical and not something we could tackle. I imagine I would need to put in the matching drivetrain and instrument cluster. I could deal with the drivetrain, but a current cluster would ruin the truck. Maybe a sweet 16v turbo gas jobber would do it. I could wrench on that with pops.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 12-07-20 at 10:15 PM.

Yeah dude. The old VW motors are NOT powerful or reliable. The 16v gas are "good" in a lightweight mk1, but I couldn't imagine with any sort of weight in it. As much fun as it would be wrenching on one with my dad (maybe I would change my name to Jesse, but my dad is not in prison) a current diesel motor would be sooooo slick in that thing, but I'm not sure if its even practical and not something we could tackle. I imagine I would need to put in the matching drivetrain and instrument cluster. I could deal with the drivetrain, but a current cluster would ruin the truck. Maybe a sweet 16v turbo gas jobber would do it. I could wrench on that with pops.
    IIRC a VR6 was swapped into a few Caddy's....

The 1.9 AAZ was a pretty common swap into the Caddy as well.

I'm sure there is a reasonable option. Haven't spent real time doing any planning.

What about a modern Ute swap on something like a W8 4-motion Passat or a golf R?

https://www.smythkitcars.com/

LRRS AM #782
    2004 SV650 (Race/Track)
    2005 SV650N (Street)

I'm glad I don't care about car performance. All of these modern rocket ships you guys are posting definitely get me going...then I peel back one layer of the onion and realize I just wouldn't go to the track with a car and I absolutely couldn't use these things on the street. It isn't just about the dollars, but the fact is that in any of those modern cars, the cost of a set of tires and a set of brakes buys you a set-up SV650. I am using that example just to make a point - I have no desire to own an SV. I'm more than happy to watch re-runs of UK Top Gear to scratch the car itch.
    100% agree with this. I like to think of myself as a ‘car guy’ because I grew up watching top gear and doing sim racing. I’ve owned some cool, fast, and unique cars, but once I started riding motorcycles on the track I realized the fun factor just isn’t there, and having a practical fuel efficient car that can tow motorcycles and hold surfboards, skis, bikes etc brings me more joy. Last month I test drove a super cheap C5 Z06 I was thinking of getting, and didn’t find it significantly more fun to sling around the on ramps than my Prius... certainly not $10k more fun! I also find that if I spend $50 every couple of weeks on karting, my urge to buy a sports car is greatly reduced.

That being said my attainable dream car is a 2005+ Aston Martin V8 Vantage, probably with a supercharger for a little extra oomph. These can be had nowadays for under $30k, which is just crazy, though that $30k will also get you a C6 Z06 with a lot more performance.

YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2014 MV Agusta Rivale - 2007 CBR600RR (race) - 1999 SV650S (race) - 2011 TM Racing EN 250

Quote Originally Posted by tucktuvak View Post
    100% agree with this. I like to think of myself as a ‘car guy’ because I grew up watching top gear and doing sim racing. I’ve owned some cool, fast, and unique cars, but once I started riding motorcycles on the track I realized the fun factor just isn’t there, and having a practical fuel efficient car that can tow motorcycles and hold surfboards, skis, bikes etc brings me more joy. Last month I test drove a super cheap C5 Z06 I was thinking of getting, and didn’t find it significantly more fun to sling around the on ramps than my Prius... certainly not $10k more fun! I also find that if I spend $50 every couple of weeks on karting, my urge to buy a sports car is greatly reduced.

That being said my attainable dream car is a 2005+ Aston Martin V8 Vantage, probably with a supercharger for a little extra oomph. These can be had nowadays for under $30k, which is just crazy, though that $30k will also get you a C6 Z06 with a lot more performance.
    Part of why the Caterham is my dream car. It's a car that feels like a bike but even more so..

I've been an avid rider since I got into bikes. All bikes all time all year for as long as I could. I think I'm currently at 6 bikes of all different types and sizes. Many miles a year, long trips etc.

With that said this year was the first year I haven't really ridden at all. Any time it was nice enough to take the bike, it was also nice enough to take the car and the car is more visceral (no helmet), same "out in the elements" feeling, no jacket/gear to worry about and biggest of all, safety. It's just a more relaxing while still thrilling experience that's fast and yet more practical. I've never thought I'd be at this point yet like 15 years of riding later here I am. Still love the bikes but it's not a clear decision whether I take a car or bike out. I wouldn't have this feeling in a regular cage type sports car. This is how I know it's the perfect car for me.

Also a big plus is I used to take the bikes out early season and ride them late. While doable it was never really pleasant. It was just better than a cage but certainly cold and risky in terms with cold ground and tires etc. It was A to B type ride rather than fun. With the 7 I have heat and top and doors if needed so taking it out early and keeping it late is a no brainier and a non issue with climate.

My 2 cents towards that feeling. Felt the same way. Found a "4 wheeled motorcycle".

an old split window VW Transporter Double Cab Pickup, with a 2180 engine

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Supras are good, really good. When the prices started to go up 10 years ago it was justified. They are overbuilt and the 2j is super capable. They make a great platform for many types of racing or an awesome street car. That said, for 80000 or whatever that’s going to sell for, you can get such a different level of car today, in terms of engineering, performance, and as a platform for racing. So what you’re paying for now is nostalgia, and who ever buys it will probably lock it away in hopes that the value will go up even more.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Part of why the Caterham is my dream car. It's a car that feels like a bike but even more so..

I've been an avid rider since I got into bikes. All bikes all time all year for as long as I could. I think I'm currently at 6 bikes of all different types and sizes. Many miles a year, long trips etc.

With that said this year was the first year I haven't really ridden at all. Any time it was nice enough to take the bike, it was also nice enough to take the car and the car is more visceral (no helmet), same "out in the elements" feeling, no jacket/gear to worry about and biggest of all, safety. It's just a more relaxing while still thrilling experience that's fast and yet more practical. I've never thought I'd be at this point yet like 15 years of riding later here I am. Still love the bikes but it's not a clear decision whether I take a car or bike out. I wouldn't have this feeling in a regular cage type sports car. This is how I know it's the perfect car for me.

Also a big plus is I used to take the bikes out early season and ride them late. While doable it was never really pleasant. It was just better than a cage but certainly cold and risky in terms with cold ground and tires etc. It was A to B type ride rather than fun. With the 7 I have heat and top and doors if needed so taking it out early and keeping it late is a no brainier and a non issue with climate.

My 2 cents towards that feeling. Felt the same way. Found a "4 wheeled motorcycle".
    Damn I’m drinking the kool aid. They are street legal here? What do they go for, that pic is from a site with non USD pricing.What's your realistic dream car?-b65ec9df-86dd-4bb6-b3f7-865face0078e

I always wanted to do an LS swap into a mid 90's BMW 840. I hear they can fit easily.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Drove a Viper and a Cayman at a Skip Barber school. Both terrific, in different ways. So I guess Cayman S.

Of course with two teen drivers in Boston our actual latest purchase is a used Prius station wagon.....

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post

I had the pleasure of meeting Doug a few years ago, I invited him to Ct to review the LC500. Absolutely the nicest guy in person and has a real love for cars.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I always wanted to do an LS swap into a mid 90's BMW 840. I hear they can fit easily.
    I have a friend who swapped one into an E36. Its really no worse then swapping another BMW motor in. LS is crazy popular vs stuffing an S54 into the older ones. 8 series is a mechanics special in general though.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Reminds me of a funny story. My wife needed a new vehicle to replace her Mazdaspeed 3. She had pretty much decided a WRX wagon was the best choice. We drove into the Subaru dealer on Route 1 in MA in my modded 2005 STI, we both have good jobs. We looked at a 2012 WRX wagon and wanted to go for a test drive before we bought it. Salesman told us that the WRX is a special car and they dont really let them out for test drives. I pointed out we drove in in a STI, and we intended to buy it.... He told us to come back when we were more serious....

So we fucked off and were pretty salty. Just for fun, we went to the Porsche dealer down the road and they could not have been any nicer or accommodating.

Next we went to the exotic dealer, they had all kinds of Ferraris of course in the $200-$500k range, there was some ridiculous 512 scaglietti or something that was $499k or $599k. Yeah, they looked nice, but right when you walked in was a dark purple Aston Martin on gunmetal wheels that was like $70k. We ABSOLUTELY weren't buying a $70k car at the time, but in a sea of quarter million dollar cars, the sheer possibility of actually maybe owning that car made it so much more exciting. It was like 10 years ago and my wife and I both remember that car and mention it occasionally lol.

Long story, but I think it fits the spirit of the thread.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 12-08-20 at 07:40 AM.

This was always Mrs LuvDog's dream car, so I bought her this one a few years ago

What's your realistic dream car?-image-jpg

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by LuvDog; 12-08-20 at 04:09 PM.
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Can't find it but road&track or motor trend had to duct tape the hood because the thing was so fast the edges above the headlights started to pull up.(or just a shit hood). It's a really interesting story, the rx7, 3000gt, supra, (there's another one I forget) hot so awesome yet so expensive they died and the manufacturers let them go. Great cars but for the money couldn't compete.

Eclipse gsx maybe idk?
    I tell people about this all the time. It was road and track's annual gathering of sports cars. The supra was a bag of dicks in 1996. then F&F came out and it became a halo car

Last edited by jhawley; 12-08-20 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I had the pleasure of meeting Doug a few years ago, I invited him to Ct to review the LC500. Absolutely the nicest guy in person and has a real love for cars.
    Oh no way.

The LC500 review actually made me look into them and put them on a bucket list. Seems like quite a car.

I've emailed Doug about reviewing the Caterham but he rarely travels out of state anymore for most cars so it's on his list if he ever winds up in NY again. Otherwise I've tried to find somebody in SoCal with one that he accept for reviewing. He typically likes the top spec of whatever car he reviews and there are very very few Caterham 620Rs in the states. One is at a dealership in SoCal however...

What's your realistic dream car?-f79d7fd6-7c8d-4fbd-96f1-6e8fcc13dd6d

Any grand wagoneer through its past lifespan would scratch that itch, actually. Tastefully modded...the kind that could pass off as stock if you weren’t looking too close.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

After my experience in Vegas with an rental Aston Martin V12, I don't think I could ever actually own one. I spun a rod bearing driving around Lake Mead. The worst part was that I wasn't even ragging on it.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

After my experience in Vegas with an rental Aston Martin V12, I don't think I could ever actually own one. I spun a rod bearing driving around Lake Mead.
    Love the body style was wondering about why these are so cheap comparatively speaking to other offerings. Put in a LS7 and six speed you might have something!