Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

What's with all the scam CL ads recently?

Posting Freak

What's with all the scam CL ads recently?

I check the CL motorcycle section several times a day, and have done that for several years...what can I say, I love a good deal. Anyone else notice the influx of scam ads in the last few months? They've always been there, but it seems like no one bothers to flag them anymore. They're definitely getting better, but they're still easy to spot. Even if you fell for the fake ad, you'd never fall for the email that follows.

Did something happen or change to lead to this, or are people just complacent?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: What's with all the scam CL ads recently?

I think most serious sellers have moved to other platforms. Forums like this, FB specific groups, and at least with music stuff sites/apps like reverb.
    That's all I got.

I still look at cl, mostly out of habit. I'm not buying anything right now, and if there's anything fishy in an ad, be it grammar, pics, or that certain intangible something, I'm moving on anyways.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Posting Freak

I partly agree with you...I think other sales platforms are expanding, but it seems like CL is still the catch-all. I see stuff on FB and it's almost always on CL too.

Always been there, always will.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

"2015 R1 $1606" with some sharp pics....I see it in the boat section too. Don't really get it either, who the fuck really jumps on this stuff???

People looking for a good deal.

If nobody ever responded, there would be no reason to put these ads up.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I think most serious sellers have moved to other platforms. Forums like this, FB specific groups, and at least with music stuff sites/apps like reverb.
    That's all I got.

I still look at cl, mostly out of habit. I'm not buying anything right now, and if there's anything fishy in an ad, be it grammar, pics, or that certain intangible something, I'm moving on anyways.
    CL is dogshit for specialty parts like bike parts, especially when you can ship. I've bought/sold a stupid amount of bike stuff on FB groups and they are great.

Selling my supermoto I found that FB sucks. In groups I only got some awful trade offers and the marketplace I'd just get messages from people that typically were just a (stupid low) number. CL delivered and a guy found me who paid my asking price.

So to summarize I still find CL good for cars/motos.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"CL is dogshit for specialty parts like bike parts, especially when you can ship. I've bought/sold a stupid amount of bike stuff on FB groups and they are great."

What are these FB groups you speak of? I am burnt out of CL and it's the same crap week in and week out. And the legit deals either don't respond, take literally days to get back to you - then don't respond or have a serious lack of basic information. People just hit repost, even at a ridiculous price waiting for some sucker to come along. I've seen some of the same parts/ bikes/ cars/ trucks on there for years. It was overpriced 2 years ago. WTF? All of this being said - it's still the first place I go every morning. Glutton for punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by 7470racer View Post
    "CL is dogshit for specialty parts like bike parts, especially when you can ship. I've bought/sold a stupid amount of bike stuff on FB groups and they are great."

What are these FB groups you speak of? I am burnt out of CL and it's the same crap week in and week out. And the legit deals either don't respond, take literally days to get back to you - then don't respond or have a serious lack of basic information. People just hit repost, even at a ridiculous price waiting for some sucker to come along. I've seen some of the same parts/ bikes/ cars/ trucks on there for years. It was overpriced 2 years ago. WTF? All of this being said - it's still the first place I go every morning. Glutton for punishment.
    Go to fb.com and on the menu on the left look for "buy and sell groups" under explore. This will show you local and suggested groups so you can get a feel for it. You have to use the general search to find something specific which can be hard. For example, one of the bike groups I'm in is just called Online Swap Meet, it's a closed group so you have to request access and there are 50k members.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My facebook is now "more like anything related to two wheels book". There are so many groups out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by bstnsboy View Post
    My facebook is now "more like anything related to two wheels book". There are so many groups out there now.
    And they're all selling GSX-R 600s with extending fucking swingarms...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Yeah, all these brand new bikes for $1,500 it's amazing! They all follow the same formula: one picture, price way too low, in surprisingly perfect condition.

I've gotten more useless tire kickers on Facebook so far than Craigslist (and that's tough competition)

A few rules of thumb that kept me from going absolutely nuts on people:

Buying
    1. If it's too good to be true, it isn't true.
    2. There's no such thing as "just needs a few things"
    3. Assume the worst, do your own research, accept the consequences
    4. Meet in public places whenever possible

Selling
    1. Be clear, simple, accurate & polite (no nasty attitude required)
    2. Start and end on a positive note
    3. Don't waste your time on anyone that is unintelligible, can't type, asks questions that are obviously answered in the description, or otherwise sounds like a toolbag. They are.
    4. Don't waste time letting people stop over and kick tires, unless you're into dickering and talking to strangers in your driveway for 90 minutes. Confirm they are 100% interested, have cash, ready to buy at your asking price (or close). Speak on the phone first.

Obvious common sense stuff I guess... but my first few times selling a vehicle on Craigslist were a nightmare. Ended up okay, but wasted way too much time on people that probably never planned on buying or thought they would lowball me to death.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Lifer

If you're browsing for anything specific, set the lower price range to the lowest price you could ever consider remotely realistic. The scam ads I see are usually listed at a fraction of the bike's value.

An a spike actually might be tied to a scam-ring who acquired a new batch of burner email addresses, or new abilities to circumvent anti-robo techniques.

nedirtriders.com

And then sometimes you don't know if it's a scam or the owner had a stroke...

1st or 2nd kick!

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Didn't you know? All the automatic GSX-Rs have kick starts...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

But no seat belt? Unsafe.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    And then sometimes you don't know if it's a scam or the owner had a stroke...

1st or 2nd kick!

I'm no CSI but that posting is about as screwed up as can be - scam??? How does anyone fall for this ineptitude?
    It's like they took a handful of motorcycle clichés and threw them on the table, then put together a post. Is it a 2012 Suzuki or a 2007 Kawasaki? let's start there.

Last edited by 7470racer; 09-09-17 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by b0xmonkey View Post
    "2015 R1 $1606" with some sharp pics....I see it in the boat section too. Don't really get it either, who the fuck really jumps on this stuff???
    Just got a $10 million offer for my boat. Not quite, we were going to split it 60/40 so only $4 million. But as that was 320 times the asking price, how could I go wrong?

Ad was on Sailinganarchy, and we actually got a legit offer from South America but getting the boat in a container would have been an exercise.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Selling on CL isn't fun but I found that you must be upfront with people. If you get interest, reply with your number and ask them to call you. If they don't then move on. Talk on the phone first before meeting. If not then move on. Sold my bmw z4 earlier this year. Took some time but the right buyer eventually came. Have fun with some of the low ballers too lol. I'd have people asking 3000 less what I'm asking so I'd send a link to an older year car and tell them this is in your price range.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Lifer

As far back as I can remember, there were these kinda scam ads. Just flag 'em and move on.

They'll keep doing it as long as people keep falling for it. Educate your less savvy friends/family on how to spot them. Bizarrely good price and email address embedded in the photo are guaranteed scams. Lack of regional context in the photos, or obviously wrong region (e.g. palm trees) are another good red flag. Email address in the text is like 50-50 chance of scam, same with unusual phone number area codes.

nedirtriders.com