Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wheelbarrow comparo

Wheelbarrow comparo

Wheelbarrow comparo-img_2155-1-jpg

for comparison , a 35-40 year old True Temper Contractor Grade 6.0 cu ft steel tub vs new Kobalt 7.0 cu ft steel tub

the old conventional single wheel True Temper has been reliable, over the years, I have replaced one handle (still haven't wrapped the grip with hockey tape) and the pneumatic wheel with another pneumatic wheel. These days, primarily used to move wood from my split pile down a 35% grade for about 20 feet (drops 8 ft) then up a 8% grade about 50 feet into my basement where I stack the wood, not practical to move it with the UTV, I would have to drop it in front of the basement door, and handle it again, with wheel barrow, I can wheel it right up to the stack pile in the basement, only handling it one time, and not having to bend over so far to stack from a wheel barrow vs a pile 20 ft away outside the door.

in my old age, wheeling a load down the 35% slope portion has become cumbersome, holding back as best I can, as far as I can down the slope, before I shift my legs to full throttle forward, all while balancing the load on one wheel

I decided it was time to get a 2 wheel wheelbarrow, decided on a Kobalt from Lowes, $129 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-7-cu...ire/1000777746

assembly was not complicated, if you've assembled or repaired them before, handles are square tube steel, the wedges are plastic and the wheels are airless, the rest of the construction is identical to the old True Temper

#1 I can take bigger loads, I figure I heaped the old 6cuft barrow to hold about 8cu ft total, with the Kobalt, I can heap an additional 3 cu ft for a total of 10 cu ft. dimensions on both are nearly identical with the exception of the Kobalt being 4" wider
    #2 going down the 35% slope is easier, no energy is spent keeping it balanced from tipping over while holding the load back as I begin down the hill, I can shift into forward much higher on the hill, which also give me a better running start for the uphill portion

those 2 things alone make the purchase worth it

the negatives are more annoyances and unknowns
    the tires squeak with heavier loads
    You can buy wooden replacement handles almost anywhere, will one fit? of a specific Kobalt handle ?
    same with wheels, will any wheel fit ? both would have to be replaced more than likely
    you have to get used to not trying to balance it like a single wheel

and the biggest annoyance of all, 2 wheels to get chocked behind a stone or stick or just a rough ground unevenness

I still like the better maneuverability of the single wheel, and confidence when using it sideslope, it's still as solid as rthe day new, and you can still get em (out of stock ay Wallyworld, but this is the model)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/True-Temp...arrow/20463687

2 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Re: Wheelbarrow comparo

Those old True Temper wheelbarrows will run forever with just regular oil changes and periodic valve checks

5 Not allowed!
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Those old True Temper wheelbarrows will run forever with just regular oil changes and periodic valve checks
    truth , only reason I got the 2 wheeler, is dumping a couple loads and going ass over tea kettle down my 35% grade, other than the firewood, most tasks, I'm still gonna grab the True Temper. but now I got the choice of the 2, actually I got another, a 6cu ft plastic tub, don't remember what brand, tire hold air for about 5 hours, other than that, it works as good as the True Temper

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I can't believe I just read a review on wheeledbarrels and had interest...

2 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

We’ve had an Ace Hardware plastic tub two wheeler for five years. I like yours better.

But for bringing firewood in, we use the HF big wheel hand truck a lot more. 13” wheels work well over grass, up stairs, etc. They are on clearance for $40.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-28-19 at 01:04 PM.

I've got a "big wheel" hand truck, one strip of wood, nothing to hold it on, I see spillage and getting nothing done

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    We’ve had an Ace Hardware plastic tub two wheeler for five years. I like yours better.
    I see that the tub is 8 cu ft. that's one heavy fucking load if yer mixing concrete. I notice in the ad, it says great for moving leaves and mulch. I'm not happy with the plastic tub wheelbarow I have, it's cracking around the bolts, however if it's left in the rain, it drains because of the cracks, my steel tub wheelbarrow is older and may have a coating of rust, but it don't leak

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Randy is just satisfying those that have stopped riding for the fall/winter.

i'm sporting the TT Polly Blue tub (Still holds water). one handle is cracked down the middle. it is so worked over smooth no splinters are/have formed. I have a new wheel to go on. It has seen many a miles where the treads are just about to the chord and cracking. i'm such a squid. Anyone recommend a tire changer in the South shore to replace a wheelbarrow tire...

1 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

riding season is just starting for me, expect to get my V-strom out of the shop this week, and probably buy the K-Pipe too

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

my 8cf true temper has done me well being abused with large rocks...bent the tub supports and cracked the tub but it finished the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Group buy? Pit races?

0 Not allowed!

I have the True Temper 8 footer, plastic with two wheels too. I really thought I *NEEDED* it for lugging firewood from my piles to the house, to a lesser extent just basic yardwork.

First off, hate it. The tub is too deep, and after using a conventional wheelbarrow my entire life, I find the two wheels counter-intuitive. Even hauling firewood down my backyard to the lake and whatnot. I bought it the beginning of the summer and haven't used it too much for lugging firewood across the yard yet though. But I just can't get used to the feeling of NOT being to "articulate" over terrain, uneven turf, etc. I find it even harder to maneuver it around than the good ol' single wheel.

On the other hand, it's great for hauling yard debris & whatnot, and it's great for chugging the garbage bags out to my truck.

Looking back, I feel I should have gone with the steel tub as I have a suspicion that in frigid northern New England temps the plastic tub may crack if we're too rough tossing firewood in it. And I'd without a doubt go back to the single wheel set-up.

I was like a kid in a candy store when we bought it. Giggled like a prom girl putting it together and couldn't wait to give 'er a run. Within minutes I knew I made a mistake. Let's hope it ain't no Craftsman!

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I have a smaller metal tub single wheel (yeah, I'm inadequate in the lawn carryage dept) and it's starting to crack from heavy use. Carrying heavy loads of gravel and rocks makes the metal bounce and fatigue, so the metal ones aren't all that great either, at least the little cheap ones. I also use a 12cuft trailer for the ZT and it is now sagging front and back around the axle supports. Carrying gravel and paver stones has done it job on it.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

It’s almost like we’re saying two-wheeled wheelbarrows are good for their intended purpose, and one-wheeled wheelbarrows are good for their intended purpose. Don’t know about you guys, but my mind is blown.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    It’s almost like we’re saying two-wheeled wheelbarrows are good for their intended purpose, and one-wheeled wheelbarrows are good for their intended purpose. Don’t know about you guys, but my mind is blown.
    well luckily now, I have a lineup of 3 wheel barrows AND 3 sleds, the largest, too big to pull by hand, that one has an a frame hitch and gets towed by my utv

big rocks like Point37 has hauled, were hauled in sleds, not the wheel barrow, didn't have to lift the rock as high that way

really the only thing I like my new 2 wheeler for, is hauling wood down my short steep ass hill, with a heaping load

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Wheelbarrow comparo-redneck-jpg

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Wheelbarrow comparo

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

big rocks like Point37 has hauled, were hauled in sleds, not the wheel barrow, didn't have to lift the rock as high that way
    I couldn’t lift the big ones...a sled would have worked nicely but I wouldn’t have a use for it afterwards...I actually put the wheel barrow on it’s side and slid the rock onto the inside side of the tub (which wouldn’t have worked with one of the metal or small tub wheel barrows) and then go around to the bottom of the wheel barrow put 1 foot on the bottom leg so it didn’t fold and then pulled on the top on the tub using all my weight to stand it up...some of the really big ones I needed a second person to help lift from the opposite side...that’s why eventually the tub supports in the front got mangled and I had to replace the axle brackets...the tub cracked when I dropped a heavy sharp rock into it, point load on plastic so I had to get some makeshift washer plates to secure the tub back to the arms in the back...but it ended up working out for me without having to buy equipment that I would only use once...I just can’t put soil or mix any type of concrete in that one...I have a single wheel wheel barrow with a plastic tub for that

The huge ones I strapped to my lawn tractor and laid out a plywood path and dragged them across the plywood...that worked out well instead of ripping up the yard

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 10-30-19 at 05:49 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    I couldn’t lift the big ones...a sled would have worked nicely but I wouldn’t have a use for it afterwards...I actually put the wheel barrow on it’s side and slid the rock onto the inside side of the tub (which wouldn’t have worked with one of the metal or small tub wheel barrows) and then go around to the bottom of the wheel barrow put 1 foot on the bottom leg so it didn’t fold and then pulled on the top on the tub using all my weight to stand it up...some of the really big ones I needed a second person to help lift from the opposite side...that’s why eventually the tub supports in the front got mangled and I had to replace the axle brackets...the tub cracked when I dropped a heavy sharp rock into it, point load on plastic so I had to get some makeshift washer plates to secure the tub back to the arms in the back...but it ended up working out for me without having to buy equipment that I would only use once...I just can’t put soil or mix any type of concrete in that one...I have a single wheel wheel barrow with a plastic tub for that

The huge ones I strapped to my lawn tractor and laid out a plywood path and dragged them across the plywood...that worked out well instead of ripping up the yard

been there, done that, tipping a wheel barrow on it's side to get something in

my Jet sled jr. gets used a LOT, Anne uses it to bring groceries from truck to house, and her yard projects, I use it to have my logging equipment chain saw, gas/oil, peavy, wedges, axe, etc. handy when felling trees, or deer hunting getting stuff into my sit spot, or ice fishing (what they were originally designed/intended for) it pulls easier over gravel or pavement than it does grass, surprisingly, wet grass probably produces the most drag

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    down my 35% grade
    I’m surprised it isn’t 35 degrees uphill ........ both ways.

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    I’m surprised it isn’t 35 degrees uphill ........ both ways.
    35° is hands and knees climbing, don't confuse degrees with percent 35°= 57%

35% is about 21°

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I was told there’d be no math ....

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    I was told there’d be no math ....
    non required , just a simple lookup on a trig table, sin of the ° is the %

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

My favorite wheelbarrow is the bucket loader on my Kubota BX. Never understood the small bucket loader until I had one. I love the thing

0 Not allowed!

Get a tow dehind wheelbarrow like this.
    https://www.lowes.com/pl/Dump-carts-...ors/4294612692

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    My favorite wheelbarrow is the bucket loader on my Kubota BX. Never understood the small bucket loader until I had one. I love the thing
    FEL is awesome.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast