Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WhoooHooo..skiing in Jackson Hole

New photos..WhoooHooo..skiing in Jackson Hole

Need to share my excitement...Just booked a trip to Jackson Hole for a little skiing in Feb...hopefully some powder and a day of Heli-skiing.....I can't wait for the skiing to begin....maybe I can leave my name on one of the saddles @ the Silver Dollar Saloon......

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Pearldog; 03-04-05 at 08:43 PM.

Last week, rmbbikes, myself and a few other friends booked a vacation out to Park City at the end of February. We are planning to ski Alta (best place I have ever been) which is already 100% open with a 72 inch base (they have received 184 inches this season so far).

I am so excited.

Jamie

BTW, log onto rsn and sign up for the free trip to Jackson. I do it everyday.

Er..................

Isn't it the Million Dollar Bar in downtown Jackson?

The watering hole at the hill is the Mangee Moose AFAIK.
    the chute under the tram at the top is a rush.

Excellent place.
    next to Whistler Blackcomb...........
    -Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy.

Suf..I think you are right...Million Dollar bar...I just remember a lot of silver dollars. I have been to quite a few places but have yet to make it to Whistler......in time. From what I have heard due to its location it can be either awesome or socked in....

Jamie..I love Alta...skied several of the areas in and around Park City...spent time in the back bowls and hiking to drop in....

I have never been to Jackson Hole in the winter...spent a balmy summers night in the Teton County jail though.....

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

You're gonna have a blast.....but the night life isn't so great.
    Jackson Hole is a skiers town...but their's some attitude with it too.........
    Try the vertical challenge. Something like a 100,000 vertical feet in a few days........ after you're done exploring.

Downtown Jacks(on) has nightskiing by the radio station in town.
    Snow King or some name similar. Glen Plake likes it.
    The angular drop offs from the catwalks are INTENSE for a "kiddie slope."
    http://www.snowking.com/winter/packages/

Downtown Jacks(on) is about 20 miles from the hill.

A DWI nightmare. They have buses though
    -Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy.

Originally posted by Pearldog
    Suf..I think you are right...Million Dollar bar...I just remember a lot of silver dollars. I have been to quite a few places but have yet to make it to Whistler......in time. From what I have heard due to its location it can be either awesome or socked in....

Jamie..I love Alta...skied several of the areas in and around Park City...spent time in the back bowls and hiking to drop in....

I have never been to Jackson Hole in the winter...spent a balmy summers night in the Teton County jail though.....
    The silver dollar bar is right around the corner from the million dollar bar, hit the restaurant below the million dollar, it is out of this world, the beef in Jackson is unbelievable (go for the beef wellington). When I went to Jackson a few years ago, we only skied a half day out of 3 due to the wind and snow, but when we skied it was the best mountain.

I too have done many days out in Utah (thsi is the 5th year going out there). Two visits ago, I did the interconnect and skied 5 resorts in a day, which included the backside of each, Park City, Solitude, Brighton, Alta and Snowbird. It might be an option to do again this year and they are doing 6 mountains including the above as well as Deer Valley backcountry. Alta now offers snowcat skiing too, so thats an option.

Whistler is also on my list of places to go, just not sure if I will go to Fernie first. I hear it has some of the best skiing around but there is no night life what-so-ever.

Jamie

We thought about doing the InterConnect...but could not get our shit together....how was it?

Fernie????

I have been:
    Vail
    Taos
    Alta
    Park City
    Deer Valley
    Squaw
    Alpine Meadows
    Heavenly
    Crusty Butt
    Chamionx
    several other smaller areas out west..
    numerous NE areas

wish list:
    Heli-skiing in the Candian Rockies
    Jackson
    Whistler
    Red Mountain (i think)
    Las Lenas Chile...in the summer

I did Whistler last year, and I had a blast. It was really warm for that time of the year with no snow, but riding on a glacier in 50 degree temps made up for it. The lower mountain was crap, but the snow was actually pretty damn good for mid-mountain and up.

Nightlife was good too - even for mid week. Everything is right in the village, and the shuttles were pretty convenient unless you miss the last one back to the apartment like we did one night.

This year I have a trip to Vail, and I would like to do one more out there someplace. I'd like to do Utah again, but I'm tempted to fly to LA and drive up to Mammoth. I'll know more once I get my travel schedule from work.

Yup.

Fernie equals canadian rockies. A few friends went and said it is outstanding. Ofcourse heli-skiing (Mike Quigly style) is the ultimate vacation. Someday I'll gather the 7k it costs to go!

The interconnect was a lot of fun and some hard work too. They weren't having as good a snow year as this year but the powder in the backcountry was just amazing and seeing no tracks was beautiful. If I find the money, a couple of us might heli-ski out of snowbird (not looking so good right now though).

Jamie

Jamie...we are trying to save and plan for a Bugaboos trip as well...MQ style. That said...we are going to give it shot out in Jackson. $700 gets you a bunch of runs, lunch, transport..hopefully back in some deep powder place in the Tetons. Now I'm going to have to put you on the Heli-ski list...

Hey Cam..if you get the chance Squaw and Alpine Meadows were great.

Jamie...we are trying to save and plan for a Bugaboos trip as well...MQ style. That said...we are going to give it shot out in Jackson. $700 gets you a bunch of runs, lunch, transport..hopefully back in some deep powder place in the Tetons. Now I'm going to have to put you on the Heli-ski list...

Please put me on the list! Also let me know how Targhee is, I hear it is a must visit resort. We didn't get to do it do to the pass being closed most of our trip out there.

As for heli skiing, I just found a place in Utah for $545.00 for the day. Its getting cheaper, maybe I will do this afterall. I found some snowcat skiing as well and the price is bearable.

Jamie

I have been:
    Vail - 10 Times
    Keystone - 5 Times
    Breckinridge - Once - too flat
    Winter Park - Twice
    Steamboat - Once too far
    Aspen - 5 Times
    Buttermilk - Once
    Snowmass -10 times
    Aspen Highlands - Twice
    Alta - once - don't allow boarders
    Snowbrird - Twenty or so times
    Park City - Twenty or so times
    The Canyons - Twenty or so times
    Deer Valley -Once don't allow borders
    Squaw - Twice
    Alpine Meadows - Twice
    Heavenly - 10 times
    Kirkwood - Twice
    Sierra at Tahoe - 3 times
    Northstar - Once
    Snowbasin - Twice
    Grand Targhee - Twice
    Jackson Hole - 10 Times
    Big Sky - Twice
    Bridger Bowl - 5 Times
    Sun Valley - Once It sucked too many old people
    Whistler - 15 times
    Lake Louise - 3 times - (aka Boundary Mountain on the WB on Sundays)
    Sunshine Village 3 times - Snow from Heaven an not hoses

East Coast
    Everywhere except for Stowe at least 10 times

WV - 500 times

It is nice having a job in the outdoor industry - Patrollers get huge benefits!

Utah for the OR show anyone????

Utah the end of Feb early March anyone?

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

I am skiing Chamionx in Janurary. Our group even hired a guide. It is going to be some sick skiing. Been hitting the gym a ton getting the leg ready for some big mountain skiing. I already been out on the west coast already and skied big bear with 4 feet of fresh snow. I am heading out there again next month and skiing mamouth.
    Jamie and KB I am crashing your trip bitch! Be ready to follow!!!

~ FTrain

Originally posted by snowborder
    It is nice having a job in the outdoor industry - Patrollers get huge benefits!

Utah for the OR show anyone????

Utah the end of Feb early March anyone?
    What do you do?

My friends and I will be in Park City and hitting some other local areas end of Feb. early March...so look us up

Jamie

Originally posted by ftrain
    I am skiing Chamionx in Janurary. Our group even hired a guide. It is going to be some sick skiing. Been hitting the gym a ton getting the leg ready for some big mountain skiing. I already been out on the west coast already and skied big bear with 4 feet of fresh snow. I am heading out there again next month and skiing mamouth.
    Jamie and KB I am crashing your trip bitch! Be ready to follow!!!
    Sounds like a awesome trip is planned fbomb. I've been in the gym for months working on getting ready for this years adventure.

J

Hey Cam..if you get the chance Squaw and Alpine Meadows were great.
    I have a ton of frequent flier miles with US Airways, so Tahoe is definitely an option. The only good places for skiing that I can fly to with US Airways are Denver, San Fran, and Seattle. Tahoe isn't that far from the Bay area, and Mammoth is 5 hours from LA from what I'm told. The Washington state resorts are great, and I have no idea why they're overlooked. While Seattle is being pounded with rain, the mountains get tons of snow, and lots of it. You just gotta deal with the fog, which can be scary at times. To get to Salt Lake, I'd have to fly to Vegas and drive up - which ain't necessarily a bad idea.

Talk to me, snowboarder. Whachu got in mind?

Yup.

Chamionx is very cool..you guys are smart to get a guide. I was solo. I got on a Tram to the top of one of the peaks and it was me, Ski Patrol and National police. I was skiing the Salomon Equipe 3 series ( i think) in a power 8...maybe a 205 or so..needless to say I'm all of 5'7 and these skis were towering over me....all of these other guys had skis that came up to their chins/noses....stupid American.

Jamie..do you guys always go to Park City? We had a great time when we went..I found a condo across the street from Park City right on the shuttle line...we hit all of the areas but really only doubled up on Alta.....there is a pretty cool run in the AM if you are up for a little hike....check out "Gunsight"...not sure if it is on the map...but always had good snow.

That may have been the same condo we stayed at! You could see PCMR right across the street. It was a very convenient location, and right along the bus route.

I was soooo outta shape that year (2 years ago). Our condo was on the 3rd floor, and I was damn near ready to pass out by the time I made it up the stairs.

Yup.

Jamie..do you guys always go to Park City? We had a great time when we went..I found a condo across the street from Park City right on the shuttle line...we hit all of the areas but really only doubled up on Alta.....there is a pretty cool run in the AM if you are up for a little hike....check out "Gunsight"...not sure if it is on the map...but always had good snow.
    I just love the options of Utah and the snow it out of this world. Our condo this year is .2 mile from Park City mtn resort and .3 mile from Main St. Very sweet location!

So tell me more about Gunsight. I would like to do a couple more hikes this year. I want to try a few more drops this time out (praying for some nice powder for my fatass to land in.

We usually double up on the Canyons due to a few of us having season passes at american ski company and their computer system in the past did not recognize that they were no good, so they let us ski free!!!!

BTW - I hate you bitches for putting snowboarding in my mind when we have no snow out here!

Yup.

When I put the trip together it included condo, car, etc. plus vouchers at some of the areas. My 2 friends and I used our Alta vouchers for a "ski" lesson...we explained that we were taking the cheap way for a guide. The instructor was totally into this idea and she took us all ove the mt. with some pretty good hikes. She pointed out that there was plenty of crazy stuff in and around without having to go to crazy. She brought us to 'Gunsight". It is quite close to a chairlift..infact if you go up the Beginner/Intermediate chair towards Devils whatever... and look to your right you will see "Gunsight"...it looks like a natural half pipe. The drop in wasn't too bad and the trail had a nice steep pitch...plus it held the snow all day....very nice.

At Park City we tended to stay in the way back bowls..only coming up for air to drink.

Gunsight, I have not done yet. I did the run right next to it a couple years ago a couple of times, my friend and I headed out the high traverse rather than hoof it for 10-15 minutes. It does look like a good trail to do this year. I really would like to do Devils Castle (30 minute hike), we'll see how I feel the day I go over there.

As for Park City I really did enjoy the back bowls and there are a couple of hikes I would love to do there but not sure I will. At the Canyons, I am going to see if we can take the 9990 chair up and do the hike over to square top and as you look down ski to the right of the trees (next to square top)(square top is too avalanche prone to mess with).

J

"What do you do?

My friends and I will be in Park City and hitting some other local areas end of Feb. early March...so look us up"

Ski Patrol Part time and President of Minus33 Clothing and accessories.

http://www.minus33.com

My in-laws live in Provo, UT and my old college roommate has a condo and lives year round at the Canyons.

9990 - that small hike to the top is worth it! I always stop at that tree half way up to gather my breath!

2001 RC51!!!

oh and by the way Utah consistently gets 400+ inches of snowfall per year.

Most Canadian Rocky Resorts ie Fernie, Panorama get less than 200 - we get that in New England!

The Northwest Resorts like Baker, Whistler, Snowqualmie, Crystal etc are very east coast like, Also like Tahoe's Sierra Cement. They just get more of it.

2001 RC51!!!

Snowboarder...where do you patrol? I use to patrol in college...always a sweet deal to help out another area and wear the pack for a lift ticket...do areas still d that?

Jamie...get your ass in gear and train damit....hikes are almost always worth it.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast