Who's an adrenaline junkie?

Bikeless Prick

Ok, so other than motorcycle or other vehicular activities.... what do you do that causes an adrenaline rush.

Ok, should point out that I'm not interested in hearing about your one-night condomless stands with Trixie from the corner of 17th and Maple... although she is hot. Also not interested in self induced chemical charges.

I want to know if any of you are into.... skydiving, BASE jumping, high altitude mountaineering, rock climbing, extreme back country snowboarding/skiing, mountain boarding, hang gliding... etc....?

I'm looking for an individual(s) that would be interested in free climbing big walls and the potential for BASE jumping from said wall....! Thinking Baffin Island, etc...

Let me know.

0 Not allowed!
    Rich

Have you base'd anywhere else? Like bridge day at the Gorge?
    How about local antenna's?

If so, cool. Jumpin's a hoot.

Is Baffin higher than Trondheim (Norway)?

"When the comman man sleeps, the BASE man leaps"

-Jack

0 Not allowed!
    '02 Duc MS4
    "Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter-Accusations"

Re: Who's an adrenaline junkie?

Also not interested in self induced chemical charges.
    Eh, shit. I'm out...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Actually, I get quite a charge outta dicking someone's bike while they stand just a few feet away and they have NO clue...

0 Not allowed!

Bikeless Prick

Baffin has a higher jump point than Trollveggen... if that is the spot you were referring to in Norway. Haven't seen or heard anything about Trondheim... However there are a lot more jump points in Trondheim... Bruraskaret, Trollspiret, etc... than at Baffin and the approach to Baffin is a serious endeavor in itself.

Hey, look who's the expert.... lol, watch a couple of videos and ya think ya know shit!

Anyway, haven't jumped... as of yet. A logical progression would start with traditional jumping. I'm looking for someone that would be interested in doing this. My other half isn't.

Hey Jay...!!!! Ya know what, I was able to sell my 929 for like $1k more than the average retail.... just cause I was able to say, "my bike was dicked my Stoneman!" Those squids just eat that shit right up!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Rich

Hey Jay...!!!! Ya know what, I was able to sell my 929 for like $1k more than the average retail.... just cause I was able to say, "my bike was dicked my Stoneman!" Those squids just eat that shit right up!!!
    And why wouldn't they? I call it "...my mushroom stamp of approval..."

0 Not allowed!

Trollveggan, yeah probably that name. Trondheim is another town I believe in mid-Norway.

I forget the distances, but Trollveggan was a pretty good leap.
    Baffin's been pretty new to the scene. I think they did a video of it a few years back. It would probably be easier to get to Angel Falls too. They used to open up the New River Gorge bridge in West VA on Columbus day weekend for jumping, don't know if they are still. As you probably know, it's illegal to BASE just about everywhere, so you gotta get your jumps in at night.

If you're into it, find a DZ in near your area (if there is one) and start jumping. Do an AFF course, don't bother with static line BS.
    You want to be very comfortable flying around before jumping off something static. Plan on getting about 200 jumps before getting into BASE'ing (I don't like to give number of jump requirements because everyone's different). Get a balloon jump in to see what it's like jumping without any apparent wind until you accelerate.

Whatever DZ you choose to jump at in your area will have lots of cool people to guide you better than me, I've been out of it for a few years (although I was dusting off my rig last month hoping to get another season out of it). Don't bother waiting until the Spring, I think many DZ's around here jump year 'round.

Don't worry about the willies your stomach gives you in the plane ride up...they go away as soon as you leave the door.

If you like tight group riding through the twisties, your gonna love skydiving.

-Jack

0 Not allowed!
    '02 Duc MS4

Bikeless Prick

Great info Jack! The closest DZ to me is in Lebanan, Maine... only about 1/2 hour ride!!! I've seen the same thing said about getting into BASE... being comfortable with skydiving first, etc...

The thought of BASE actually came to mind while we were at NRG in August. We went down to climb and "discovered" the bridge. It was just a rush to see it and think that people jump... which, yes they still do, they've now made it into a 2 day festival and actually shut the entire bridge down. I guess they used to keep one side of the bridge open to cars....

There was part of a video from Masters of Stone V which had a brief clip of two guys BASE jumping on Baffin. My hands were sweating just watching the video....

0 Not allowed!
    Rich

Originally posted by Stoneman
    Actually, I get quite a charge outta dicking someone's bike while they stand just a few feet away and they have NO clue...

He he he, kinda like squirting a little tri-flow on your buddy's brake pads just before a downhill run on the mountain bikes, only HE is the one to get the adrenaline surge...

0 Not allowed!
    '02 Duc MS4

note to self: no riding with jack, ANYMORE!

0 Not allowed!
    The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

if you guys are going sky diving... i wanna go.

i dont know about jumping off cliff wall or bridges... but a plane, i will do that.

0 Not allowed!

Bikeless Prick

Brett.... would you drive up to Lebanan Maine? I'd guess about a 1 1/2 - 2 hours from you?

0 Not allowed!
    Rich

the drive is not an issue at all, i drive all over the northeast and down through maryland all the time.

my only possible issue would be scheduling time... between night school and travel for work, there's hardly time for anything outside the summer months.

-breNt

0 Not allowed!

Bikeless Prick

Ok breNda.... well, I'm thinking weekends... Saturday/Sunday... maybe once/twice a month. Amy's interested in jumping, but not anything beyond that like BASE... perhaps your girlie would feel they same.

riCh

0 Not allowed!
    Rich

Christina probably would be all over this, right up until she looked out the plane door. then its all up for grabs. i cant guarantee anything after that.

keep me posted on dates and costs!!!!

0 Not allowed!

Hey! I bunji (sp?) jumped once! And I'd be all over skydiving! I'd like to see if we can get an NESR Skydiving Day together for next year...

0 Not allowed!

rollercoasters!!!!!!

dont know about u guys......but i DO like rollercoasters....last summer we went to "cedar point" in ohio.....they had some pretty wild rides....one of the best rides was a coaster called the "millinium force".....it goes to a height higher than the statue of liberty...then drops 80 degrees down to a speed of 90 mph or so....after you shit yourself.....you will enjoy it!!!!make sure u are in the front tho...ha ha......

0 Not allowed!

LoveCat, you got two chutes, what more do u need?
    Malfunctions are very rare, double 'functions a super rare.

For newcomers and "tentatives" it's a good idea to do a tandem. Basically it's an instructor with a reinforced parachute to handle the load and clips on front of his harness where you clip into your back (you have harness of course).

All ya gotta do is fold your arms and let him/her do all the flyin' and chute deploying (and chopping it 'n going for reserve if required )
    They'll even have somebody fly with you videoing the scene.
    You help out with the steering once the canopy is depolyed.

Tandems are a lot cheaper then going through ground training and doing a first jump alone, so it's usually a great way to check out jumping.
    If you shit yerself, then you at least you know to bring the depends when you go solo.... [insert smiley holding his ass]

-Jack

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ShredHed; 11-01-02 at 05:40 PM.
    '02 Duc MS4

I called the place in Lebanon, Maine last year and they said that they'll ONLY do tandem's now for first time jumpers. And unfortunitely, they also said they wouldn't let us wear our leathers, either...

Jack, do you know people there?

0 Not allowed!

A.D.D or too much coffee?

No thanks,
    I'll stay right here on the ground, On vertical rock or horizontal. The only time I'm in the air is flying, on a rope, or thrown off a bike, I have enough problems not getting hurt down here!
    Have fun!
    Danny

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhh, Dukey Wookey hurt his wittle hand, I'm the king of this gang now!

2001CBR 929RR
    Lightly customized

I never jumped Lebanon, most my experience are from places outside New England.

I did a bunch out at Pepperell, MA (on NH border near RT3) and thought they had a good operation there. I believe it's owned (or run) by a gal named Fran. She's real cool and has repacked my reserve a few times (reserves must be inspected & repacked every 180 days by certified rigger). I haven't been there in a couple years though I'm jonesin' to get back in the air again. Shit, all these damn hobbies and I always seem to pick the expensive one's...and don't start about me buying an expensive bike...the damn thing picked me, I was just stopping by for a t-shirt....
    Now it want's carbon high slip-on's, rear-set's, and a CPU flash. What am I gonna do, say no?

I can't see why they limit tandems to anybody, that's stupid. Most tandem masters I know show up to DZ's on weekends for some extra cash; I don't think they'd turn down somebody because of experience level. Hell, most skydivers will jump for freakin' food stamps. I will.

I guess you "could" jump in your leathers, but why would you want to? Good leather jackets are cut for riding, once zipped up you can't spread your arms out to your sides and back without busting the zipper (at least my jacket is like that). You want a lot of flexibility to move around, 'cause yer flying your body. Also, a little cloth helps add drag and make it a bit easier to fly. I don't see why they'd be so uptight about it though, even for the novelty.. but some places can be funny, yah?

Cheers,
    -Jack

0 Not allowed!
    '02 Duc MS4

We were looking to jump in our leathers for the photo opp. None the less, the one in Lebanon, Maine comes highly recommended by a coupla friends of mine that used to jump there regularly...

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by zombie
    I,m up for jumping outta of a plane so lets put this together ,and jumping tandem , does that mean rich and jay jump together and who is on top
    Fuck that! I wouldn't do a tandem with Rich. No reach arounds, the selfish prick o' missery...

0 Not allowed!