Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Winter feedback wanted on new and newish small crossover/suvs

Hypertarded

Re: Winter feedback wanted on new and newish small crossover/suvs

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Ergo, "modern OEM headlights too bright" is mostly just you I'm afraid.
    Winter feedback wanted on new and newish small crossover/suvs-opinion-jpg

1 Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    You guys are mixing DOT/OEM spec and aftermarket.
    Actually I'm not mixing or confusing the two at all. There are numerous OEM lighting systems that are "too bright"/"the wrong wavelength"/"Whatever description we want to use for them" and cause issues with affecting the vision of oncoming drivers in a negative manner is some situations. Yes the DOT as well as European regulatory bodies have done a lot to make them less of an issue than they could be however they still have issues.

Governing bodies have been telling us things are good for us for years, going back and realizing they were wrong and changing what they allow. This may just turn out to be one of those types of things.

0 Not allowed!

I would argue that geometry plays a part. If you're in a car that's grounded to the ground () and there's an F-650 behind you, you're going to have a bad time.

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

Any experience with the VW Tiguan?

Is the engine shared with other models and long running?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

My fiancée bought a 2016 Tacoma to tow our boat, my civic won’t die, I bought a TJ Wrangler (shit purchase), and now that’s its inspection time for the civic I’m back to the “when do I give up on a 273k mile vehicle that owes me nothing and I am on borrowed time with”, thus this super helpful and informative thread that hopefully helps others.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Did you buy anything yet

0 Not allowed!

Learn from the Wrangler and don't buy a Tiguan.....

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

The new one is pretty awesome. My wife teally wanted one. We ended up with a RAV4 (solely based on lease numbers)
    Plus 2018 and new vw have a upgraded bumper to bumper warranty

0 Not allowed!

great thread!...we'll be in the market for an suv at some point...she's currently running a 14 maxima <90k miles and i'm running a 13 legacy 145k miles...mine is paid off, hers isn't...her car is worth more than mine...her commute is 22 miles one way and mine is 43 miles one way...once her car is paid off we plan to trade in/sell a car (probably mine) and get an suv...my car has oil consumption issues eats 3+ extra quarts of oil over 7500 mile oil change intervals...the only other issue with my car is the weather strip on the inside of the drivers window folds inside the door when i turn the window down in the summer...other than that it's just been wear and tear items...her car is much nicer but it has too much electronics for my liking and i hate the whole touchscreen in it as well as the low profile tires/wheels (wheels are all dented up)...anyway after reading here and doing some of my own research i think we're going to be looking hard at a used highlander or maybe a cx9 since they don't have cvt transmissions...not sure about the pilot, pathfinder and ascent (after the oil consumption issue with my subaru i'd be leery of going with them again)

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 02-18-19 at 09:21 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    great thread!...we'll be in the market for an suv at some point...she's currently running a 14 maxima <90k miles and i'm running a 13 legacy 145k miles...mine is paid off, hers isn't...her car is worth more than mine...once her car is paid off we plan to trade in/sell a car (probably mine) and get an suv...my car has oil consumption issues eats 3+ extra quarts of oil over 7500 mile oil change intervals...the only other issue with my car is the weather strip on the inside of the drivers window folds inside the door when i turn the window down in the summer...other than that it's just been wear and tear items...her car is much nicer but it has too much electronics for my liking and i hate the whole touchscreen in it as well as the low profile tires/wheels (wheels are all dented up)...anyway after reading here and doing some of my own research i think we're going to be looking hard at a used highlander or maybe a cx9 since they don't have cvt transmissions...not sure about the pilot, pathfinder and ascent (after the oil consumption issue with my subaru i'd be leery of going with them again)
    Cx9 is a terrific choice, 2016 and up. Interesting comment made to me by my mechanic when my VW Passat started eating oil (it was a 2008). He said it is not uncommon and paying the $20 between oil changes for the oil is cheaper than a year down. I just put a reminder on my watch to check the oil level monthly. Also, put oil in it that is higher viscosity (I put 10-40 instead of 0-40) and that helped a lot

2 Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Cx9 is a terrific choice, 2016 and up. Interesting comment made to me by my mechanic when my VW Passat started eating oil (it was a 2008). He said it is not uncommon and paying the $20 between oil changes for the oil is cheaper than a year down. I just put a reminder on my watch to check the oil level monthly. Also, put oil in it that is higher viscosity (I put 10-40 instead of 0-40) and that helped a lot
    thanks...yea i figured that...it's just aggravating to have to worry about oil...i had an 05 mazda 6 before the legacy and i never had to check the oil level and that car ran into the high 200k miles...in the legacy i'm runnin 0w-20 usually castrol or mobil 1...when the low oil light kicks on i usually just dump a quart in...buy my filters on amazon...buy a 5 quart jug at walmart and about 3 single quarts to toss in the trunk...95% of my driving is highway

1 Not allowed!

Didn't realize this was such an old thread when I started reading. Commenting on 2017 HRV and 16-18 Cherokee (not grand). HRV has uncomfortable seats. Also, infotainment is annoying. Too much touch, not enough real buttons, and it's hard to voice navigate/place calls. Probably a problem with most new cars. Company cars are Jeep Cherokees. Latitude with basic 4 cylinder. I'm told it is the most expensive to maintain vehicle we've used for company cars. We have a bunch of them. And the ones that do work are just plain soulless to drive. Never in the right gear, slow to shift. Not looking forward to getting rid of my 16 taurus (shockingly a great highway car with plenty of power and a very good 6AT).

1 Not allowed!

great thread!...we'll be in the market for an suv at some point...she's currently running a 14 maxima <90k miles and i'm running a 13 legacy 145k miles...mine is paid off, hers isn't...her car is worth more than mine...her commute is 22 miles one way and mine is 43 miles one way...once her car is paid off we plan to trade in/sell a car (probably mine) and get an suv...my car has oil consumption issues eats 3+ extra quarts of oil over 7500 mile oil change intervals...the only other issue with my car is the weather strip on the inside of the drivers window folds inside the door when i turn the window down in the summer...other than that it's just been wear and tear items...her car is much nicer but it has too much electronics for my liking and i hate the whole touchscreen in it as well as the low profile tires/wheels (wheels are all dented up)...anyway after reading here and doing some of my own research i think we're going to be looking hard at a used highlander or maybe a cx9 since they don't have cvt transmissions...not sure about the pilot, pathfinder and ascent (after the oil consumption issue with my subaru i'd be leery of going with them again)
    13-15 Legacy 2.5L was part of the excessive oil consumption extended warranty/recall. If it failed the test they replaced the engine.

Our 2006 3.0R uses none, with 232,000 miles. Our 2014 3.6R uses about a quart every 5,000 miles, as does the Tahoe..

1 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

We have one Rav4 6-cyl left here as a company car. Obviously these are the older body types, the new ones are only available with the 4-cyl, I believe. Anyway, these SUVs are pretty impressive. OK, the the transmissions needed work, on all of them, at 120-140k. My guess is that due to the way they were driven and not kept up, but speculation on my part. But for their size and power they get great mileage, like 26-28 according to the computer, so figure a couple less than that. And other than the transmission, they've held up great. The last one is around 210k miles, driven hard, always overloaded, and limited preventative maintenance.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    13-15 Legacy 2.5L was part of the excessive oil consumption extended warranty/recall. If it failed the test they replaced the engine.

Our 2006 3.0R uses none, with 232,000 miles. Our 2014 3.6R uses about a quart every 5,000 miles, as does the Tahoe..
    i got the notice about the class action suit but i was already over the 60k mileage limit so i got hosed case i drive a lot...as far as i know they only replaced the piston rings not the whole engine...for the most part i think they would test it and just say that it was normal and send you on your way anyway...and all it said was that they would reimburse you if you had gotten it tested, give you a 8 year 100k mile warranty, repairs, rentals, towing, as well as they would reimburse you for 6 quarts of oil...it affected all the 2.0 and 2.5 engines...so legacy, forester, impreza, crosstrek and outback (a majority of their line)...and i don't think the issue has been corrected so i don't plan on getting another subaru

0 Not allowed!

i got the notice about the class action suit but i was already over the 60k mileage limit so i got hosed case i drive a lot...as far as i know they only replaced the piston rings not the whole engine...for the most part i think they would test it and just say that it was normal and send you on your way anyway...and all it said was that they would reimburse you if you had gotten it tested, give you a 8 year 100k mile warranty, repairs, rentals, towing, as well as they would reimburse you for 6 quarts of oil...it affected all the 2.0 and 2.5 engines...so legacy, forester, impreza, crosstrek and outback (a majority of their line)...and i don't think the issue has been corrected so i don't plan on getting another subaru
    We faced a similar “secret warranty” situation with Ford. We called the AG’s office, dealer owner called us back one hour later, and MoFoCo agreed to cover it. Every manufacturer has secret warranties and you really have to push them.

The oil burning was unique to that period. Head gaskets remain an issue on the 2.5’s, especially Outbacks, but excessive oil consumption wasn’t common before or after. I won’t buy a newer Subaru because CVT and advised against 2.5 Outbacks, But people are cheap.

Anyone who put their car in the consumption program and didn’t get the engine repair wasn’t paying attention.....

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 02-20-19 at 01:20 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Lifer

Any experience with the Mazda AWD system in snow?

0 Not allowed!

Mine hardly ever kicks in. It tracks pretty good off the front two. Well, one, but you get the idea.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112