Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Winter feedback wanted on new and newish small crossover/suvs

Re: Winter feedback wanted on new and newish small crossover/suvs

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I would really like to end up in an suv/crossover for ingress/egress and awd, but the mazda6 is such a good looking sedan! Any complaints about it?
    my mazda 6 was 2005...and it had since new and put about 240k miles on it when i sold it in 2013...the body was starting to rot in the wheel wells...other than that it didn't always shift smooth (no cvt)

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    this reminds me ... anyone familiar with 2011 CRVs drinking oil like it's going out of style? my MIL loves her car (i hate that fucking thing) but the oil consumption is getting out of hand. we were told we could have a few tests done for ~$200 but the test wouldn't guarantee Honda would do anything since she JUST fell out of the extended warranty range. i haven't dug too deep yet but i think Honda was putting new piston and rings in (?)

she called me one day saying the oil light was on and no visible oil on dipstick. she's getting about ~2K miles before the level falls off the stick.
    my light comes on and i just stop and dump a quart in...i think i read somewhere that the engine is a quart low when the light comes on...i have to drive around with 4 extra quarts of oil all the time...my mazda 6 never had this issue...it def would have failed the subaru oil consumption test but i had too much mileage on it at the time

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Apropos of the topic, noticed a Hyundai Santa Fe XL yesterday, apparently a new three row Crossover for them. 193” overall length so original Explorer size.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    //The supposedly "bulletproof" Corolla I'm driving now has had all kinds of regular car problems.

I would have no problem owning a mid-market VW for 200k miles / 10 years. In my opinion the bottom line cost would not be substantially higher than with an asian import of similar cost/tier.

I think the Toyota/Honda hype exceeds reality.

We had the clutch throwout bearing and water pump fail on our Corolla at about 110k. The car is well maintained. Came to us from my FIL who I would describe as "up tight" re: his maintenance habits. I've never seen anyone in that family exceed the speed limit. Now the starter makes a ridiculous noise when it is cold.
    The last time I remember being stranded by a car was in a Toyota Prius. The ICE stalled and the computer got so confused it refused to engage the transmission even after the engine was started.
    Just last month I saw a late-model Honda Pilot towed away from my step-daughters school because the transmission kept switching to park. Car died right in the middle of the pickup queue blocking the conga line.. really screwing things up. We couldn't even roll the car away because it would not stay in neutral.
    My father-in-law has a Prius that has started eating 12V batteries. xxxkW of drive battery on board all juiced up but the car won't go nowhere with a dead lead-acid battery.

If it has tits or wheels it will cause you problems. I don't care what the badge on the hood says. They are all just cars man.
    Think there is a self-fulfilling prophecy sometimes. My brother has been driving Volvos for four decades. He takes them to the dealer for service and has everything repaired, “because they are good cars, so it’s worth it.” Think many Toyota owners feel the same way, although we met a Newburyport <-> Boston commuter with 62,000 miles on a Camry who’d done zero maintenance: original filters, and he’d added some oil here and there!

Our work fleet had Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, Nissan, and Subaru at various times. We had absolutely minimal problems with any of the brands up to about 160,000 miles. The lowest mileage we had a “major” repair was 112,000. We had some very expensive repairs from 160,000 - 210,000, with two Hondas the most expensive. FWIW aside from tires, brakes, batteries and tuneups, the most common repairs were radiators, wheel bearings, and axles.

Most of vehicles that are routinely driven over 200,000 are body-on-frame pickups and SUV’s. The exceptions are minivans, which have often absorbed a transmission or two, and six cylinder sedans (we had four Honda Accord V6’s)

Currently violating my own rule as we have a six cyclinder Outback with 240,000 miles, but with three teenage drivers in a Boston insurance becomes a larger cost factor than normal.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 02-05-20 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Our 2015 with 70k doesn't use much at all. Did when it was new, but not anymore. Unsure if its the same engine as a 2011 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    my light comes on and i just stop and dump a quart in...i think i read somewhere that the engine is a quart low when the light comes on...i have to drive around with 4 extra quarts of oil all the time...my mazda 6 never had this issue...it def would have failed the subaru oil consumption test but i had too much mileage on it at the time
    thanks, guys. i don't know what to do for her except pay for the tests and cross fingers. she's choosing to ignore it so we now keep a gallon of oil in the back for top ups. wish i had known Honda had a specific 8-year extension for this problem. she doesn't remember getting a letter and her local shop does not have access to anything more than standard TSBs.

it never burned oil before until about a year ago. perfect timing

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    this reminds me ... anyone familiar with 2011 CRVs drinking oil like it's going out of style? my MIL loves her car (i hate that fucking thing) but the oil consumption is getting out of hand. we were told we could have a few tests done for ~$200 but the test wouldn't guarantee Honda would do anything since she JUST fell out of the extended warranty range. i haven't dug too deep yet but i think Honda was putting new piston and rings in (?)

she called me one day saying the oil light was on and no visible oil on dipstick. she's getting about ~2K miles before the level falls off the stick.
    We had a similar situation with a Ford Taurus 3.8 and overheating. They initially denied any responsibility.

We called the state Attorney General's office. Within two hours, the owner of the dealership was on the phone with me. By that afternoon they'd agreed to replace the engine at no charge except fluids.

"Secret Warranties" are really common with all brands.

2 Not allowed!

Lifer

I think what is confusing me is, are Benzs, BMWs, Audis... just expensive to maintain, but reliable? Or unreliable.

If I could find a German lux car that was fairly reliable but when things go like alternators and water pumps or whatever they are just more costly than a Honda, then maybe I would be willing to try to understand the “not an appliance” experience.

But if they are “unreliable”, in a Range Rover way, and are more likely to leave me stranded, then I need to stick with Japan.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Gixxer; 02-05-20 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    We had a similar situation with a Ford Taurus 3.8 and overheating. They initially denied any responsibility.

We called the state Attorney General's office. Within two hours, the owner of the dealership was on the phone with me. By that afternoon they'd agreed to replace the engine at no charge except fluids.

"Secret Warranties" are really common with all brands.
    thanks for that, appreciate it

OP, sorry about the side step ... on with your search

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR