Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Winter feedback wanted on new and newish small crossover/suvs

Re: Winter feedback wanted on new and newish small crossover/suvs

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    The head gasket issues on the Subie's were resolved in the early 2000's.
    Well that makes our 2007 a time traveller. GREAT SCOTT!

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Well that makes our 2007 a time traveller. GREAT SCOTT!
    No shit? I *THOUGHT* they took care of that just after my model. Hrrrrmmmm...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Just look at any Subaru Outback forum.

They thought they took care of that MANY times now.

Ours went at 8xK miles, then again at 134k miles. No help from Subaru either time because it had 36k miles on it when we bought it and the first owner didn't take it to a Subaru dealer for it's "coolant treatment" at 30k. You know what that treatment is? Stop-Leak. I'm not shitting you. Look it up.

So fuck Subaru. Fuck them right in the pussy!

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Just look at any Subaru Outback forum.

They thought they took care of that MANY times now.

Ours went at 8xK miles, then again at 134k miles. No help from Subaru either time because it had 36k miles on it when we bought it and the first owner didn't take it to a Subaru dealer for it's "coolant treatment" at 30k. You know what that treatment is? Stop-Leak. I'm not shitting you. Look it up.

So fuck Subaru. Fuck them right in the pussy!
    Good to know. That eliminates the Crosstrek...

Although Big Shirl WAS tossing around the idea of the kid getting the CTS so SHE could get some shiny new wheels...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

There is a class action lawsuit against Subaru (and a number of other manufacturers) over excessive oil consumption. Not sure of the background or what years/models affected.

When we bought the 2006 Outback after owning two 2.5's we went for the 3.0L six. 75 more horsepower (on regular), timing chains instead of belts, 5EAT, and the [much more sophisticated] VTD drive system. It just turned 191,000 miles and service has been new radiator, wheel bearings, brakes, tires, etc. But Subaru never offered the H6 in the Forester.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    You can. Read reviews of the CVT. I wish they never went to a CVT, but I guess the EPA average MPG is what's driving it. I vote for CX5
    I just read a review comparing the CR-V with the Acura RDX with reasons why you should opt for the luxury or go with the Honda, but regardless they praised the CVT and said not to be scared off by the CVT and that if you commute on congested freeways or city streets, and not twisty back roads, you'll love how smooth it is.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SIDSPEEDY View Post
    I grew up with my parents owning a garage and a machine shop as well as a sign shop at one point, Yep crazy busy childhood . LOTS OF VEHICLES

Ask yourself which would you want to own at 150,000 miles.....200,000? simple answer: Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 or Highlander if you want something a little larger.
    My wife and I have owned or had company cars including:
    Ford F-150 , Dodge Ram 1500, Olds Cutlass, Pontiac grand am & Grand Prix, Nissan Sentra, BMW 318i, Toyota celica GTS, Honda Accord, Ford Lightning (miss that one) Lexus 2004 RX330 (comfy Highlander) 2005 RX330, LEXUS GX470 (comfy 4Runner...)

Soo, here goes IMO ONLY, no debate, it's your money, not vested.

Reliability and absolute lowest cost of OVERALL ownership and loving your car everyday like a kid with a new bike....

1000% LEXUS or Toyota (but never go to the dealer after any warranty runs out, find a good local shop, most Lexus parts can be converted over to Toyota if you ever head the Lexus way)

Buy certified used, 100k/3yr warranty, drive it like you stole it for a few hundred miles, dump it for ridiculous money.

Wife's first RX330, paid $30,000, with 21,000 miles on it, 284,000 Well used miles and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree with warnings and crap... TRADED IT for an 2005 RX330 for $3900 AFTER the deal on the 05 was written (car business is rough, lie flat out when they ask you about a trade until after the front deal is done, these aren't your friends, theyll roll in the amount if you don't, that's life)

My brother has even gone to the Darkside from previous Dodge and GM truck ownership he is on his second Tundra; they cost more in and you get more out of them on trade or sale so who cares it's just the higher $$ number people get stuck on.

Here's an example: of a certified, 100k/3yr LEXUS warranty, free loaner if you have work done, treated like gold, etc

2012 Lexus RX 450h - Sharon, MA - Herb Chambers Lexus - 8710A

I personally have had such great luck either Lexus I don't even bother with certified/warranty's anymore I just buy like this one, (but always buy from a real dealer with their name on the line no side lot companies

2005 Lexus RX 330 - Sharon, MA - Herb Chambers Lexus - 9300A

A huge part of vehicle ownership people don't tend to take into respect is loving what you drive, we live in a country with all sorts of types of vehicles and freedoms but a lot of people drive things they hate, I love getting in my car every single day, it's comfier than my couch at home, it has a better stereo it has heated seats, it just makes you feel like a king and there's definitely something to be said for that when you have a really really crap day at work.

Good luck with your quest
    I love the GX470. My brother had a 2001 GS300 that was wicked reliable, and then a 2008 GS300 AWD that wasn't so reliable surprisingly.. but that hasn't tainted my opinion of Toyota.

Those links are a little out of the price range I'd LIKE to be in... but when I look at it as I could buy an AWD HR-V EX for $25k-ish... and the lexus is only 7k more... I dunno.

Like I said, not looking til Spring or Summer, so i have plenty of time to decide.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SIDSPEEDY View Post
    Cool beans... Yea, I kinda go at a different pace, born and raised in 3 businesses, and I work with Aerospace machining - yesterday was the SpaceX project with a subcontractor for Boeing, Christ, those guys make me feel slow!!

Anyhow, My wife also had a 1998 Crv, quite utilitarian in nature but a strong runner.

Imo, Absolutely skip buying new, go certified used if you must have a warranty; you get to skip a major portion of the deprecation loss and still get nice coverage, skip first year model revisions/roll outs as well.

90% of the time now my wife and I are buying in cash or with a strong down payment, it took a long time to get to this position. Save your pennies, take your time, interest and car payments suck!

I have a consumer reports account, you can borrow the password/username if you like, just send me a direct message
    How was the 1998 CR-V in the snow?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    There was a brouhaha in 2014 over the Honda CR-V's AWD system. 2015 Honda CR-V performs poorly in Swedish AWD test [w/video]

BS car manufacturer video "comparisons" aside, the specific problem was that the Honda cannot transfer enough torque to the rear wheels to back up a hill, as one example. If one of the front wheels is on ice you're going nowhere.

We have three Hondas and they all have hyperactive traction control, if you want to make it up steep hills even with winter tires, you have to shut it off.
    Wow, that's horseshit! Think there's anyway that video is anti-Honda propaganda and they're using a 2wd model?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Wow, that's horseshit! Think there's anyway that video is anti-Honda propaganda and they're using a 2wd model?
    I was referring to some of the Dodge, Ford, Subaru and Toyota videos. They all seem to come up with a test that proves the others suck.

I think the Swedish video is considered legit as Honda actually responded to it with a firmware fix.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-03-15 at 04:44 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

There is a class action lawsuit against Subaru (and a number of other manufacturers) over excessive oil consumption. Not sure of the background or what years/models affected.
    Friend of mine has a 2014 or 2015 Forester that got a ring job and then a whole short block due to oil consumption...

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Friend of mine has a 2014 or 2015 Forester that got a ring job and then a whole short block due to oil consumption...
    Forester was SUV of the year by Motor Trend in 2009 and 2014, for whatever thats worth.

0 Not allowed!

I loved my 2000 Forester, right up until the explosive bolts went off at 100k mi and it was more in repairs than the payments had been.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

People love their Hondas but we had to replace the upper control arms on two Honda Accords. The repair was well over $2,000. each. That is by far the most expensive repair on any fleet vehicle we've owned, a total of 15 cars and light trucks, and made them the most expensive to own. We still own a 2003 and a 2011.

The only common repair to all of the front-drive models of all the vehicles we've owned was half-shafts. We've replaced all of them between 120,000 and 160,000 miles on all brands (Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, and Subaru). Outside other suspension components, a few coil packs, wheel bearings, brakes, tires etc we've replaced radiators in five vehicles. The highest mileage when we sold the vehicles was 189,000 on a Subaru Outback (head gaskets replaced as a precaution at 140,000) and 210,000 on a Honda Accord V6. The lowest mileage when sold was the Ford Transit Connect with 119,000. The lowest maintenance cost was a Chevrolet Express, which had one radiator replacement outside scheduled maintenance, tires and brakes. The OEM tires lasted 75,000 miles.

Unless the vehicle doesn't suit our needs, we sell them at around 150,000 miles. As you get past that the chance of expensive repairs goes up as the value goes down. They become very difficult and time consuming to sell. The exception is the Outback H6, which has been such a terrific vehicle that I expect to drive it to 220-250,000 miles.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-03-15 at 08:05 PM.

Lifer

People love their Hondas but we had to replace the upper control arms on two Honda Accords. The repair was well over $2,000. each. That is by far the most expensive repair on any fleet vehicle we've owned, a total of 15 cars and light trucks, and made them the most expensive to own. We still own a 2003 and a 2011.

The only common repair to all of the front-drive models of all the vehicles we've owned was half-shafts. We've replaced all of them between 120,000 and 160,000 miles on all brands (Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, and Subaru). Outside other suspension components, a few coil packs, wheel bearings, brakes, tires etc we've replaced radiators in five vehicles. The highest mileage when we sold the vehicles was 189,000 on a Subaru Outback (head gaskets replaced as a precaution at 140,000) and 210,000 on a Honda Accord V6. The lowest mileage when sold was the Ford Transit Connect with 119,000. The lowest maintenance cost was a Chevrolet Express, which had one radiator replacement outside scheduled maintenance, tires and brakes. The OEM tires lasted 75,000 miles.

Unless the vehicle doesn't suit our needs, we sell them at around 150,000 miles. As you get past that the chance of expensive repairs goes up as the value goes down. They become very difficult and time consuming to sell. The exception is the Outback H6, which has been such a terrific vehicle that I expect to drive it to 220-250,000 miles.
    I've heard the Express has low maint. costs.

What mileage were the Accords at when the Upper Control Arms needed to be replaced? I love the Outback H6

0 Not allowed!

160-180,000 miles. It's a well-known problem, apparently. That's why we're not going to put more than 150K anymore....

Anyone own a let model Chevrolet Equinox? Seems like a great size if you aren't looking for three rows.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

It's been basically a year... any new feedback or experience on these?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

My girfriend was leaning toward a Subaru Crosstrek, but now seems pretty set on a new Legacy.

I however am still leaning toward the Honda HR-V (hopefully not anytime soon, I hope my current 215k Civic lasts til 340k, but since it could die any day now more so than a car with say under 100K, I need to be ready... and if that happens, I'm thinking AWD Honda HR-V)

However, I found a dealer browsing CL in Maine called Roberts Auto that seems to specialize in... a guilty pleasure of mine... the Honda Element!! I wish they didn't stop making those. However, the age of those, with under 100K, and the price... I think would be foolish and I should just forget it and go new.

Also, on my way home today in the smooth sailing Boston traffic, with a Nissan Cube in front of me, I had a long time to stare at it. A vehicle once hideous to me, and laughable, I must say grew on me a bit! Also not made anymore, it's not awd, and is I'm assuming based on the Nissan Versa. But it's so ugly and jacked up looking... why not? Tiny, easy to park I'm assuming, and with a roof line just high enough it looks like it'll be easy to get in and out of. But I don't think I'd ever pull the trigger on that.

0 Not allowed!

I maybe in the market for a crossover type and have looked at the Ford Edge. Has anyone considered this? I also want to go U.S. Brand. I've only owned import cars and want to do something different this time.

0 Not allowed!
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    LRRS #246 - Central Mass Powersports / Northeast Cycle / Woodcraft

My wife's dad and sister in law both drive CR-V's in New England last few years and seem really happy with them. Never taken one in the snow myself.

Wait until winter and test drive in the snow? Pretty soon now.

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    I currently am commuting in a 2015 Jeep Cherokee sport which shares a 2.4L I4 and 9 speed transmission with the renegade. That motor/trans combo is garbage. The throttle response is severely hurt but the transmission shifting down or gear hunting in the "auto" setting. It's much better in "sport" mode, but you have to manually select it after every key cycle. I'm getting just shy of 22mpg in my combined commute.
    new vehicles can be very disappointing, I get 20-22 mph with my '96 Grand Cherokee w 318ci V-8, and I can to 6500 lbs

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

If you like a Cube, check out the Kia Soul. Way better build quality and pretty reliable in my experience. No AWD, but more functional than your CX3, HRV, etc. Great on gas (like high 30s, low 40s). 1.6L is admittedly sluggish.

Fwiw, I considered a CX3, 3 Hatch and 3 Sedan and I went with the sedan because it seemed like it had the most usable cargo space while getting the best mileage. Michelin snows cost me $400 and I mounted and balanced them at work myself.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 12-02-16 at 11:47 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    vehicles can be very disappointing, I get 20-22 mph with my '96 Grand Cherokee w 318ci V-8, and tow 6500 lbs
    Well there's your problem. I have an orange triangle you can borrow.

2 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Some friends recently went through the cute-utes as they wanted to downsize from a Volvo XC90 and park on the street in Boston. They wanted Honda initially but HR-V was too small and too slow. They looked at Ford, Honda, Toyota, Mazda but not Subaru or BMW X1. Also looked at Mercedes GLA (nice looking but small), and wound up purchasing a FWD CPO Lexus NX. They do a lot of skiing and will put winter tires on it. It's 182" long, so much bigger than HR-V or GLA but still compact. They didn't like the way the RAV4 drove so it seems Lexus changed a lot: First Drive: 2015 Lexus NX - First Turbocharged Lexus Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    new vehicles can be very disappointing, I get 20-22 mph (sic) with my '96 Grand Cherokee w 318ci V-8, and I can to 6500 lbs
    Average on fuelly.com for 1996 Grand Cherokees: 16.4. And that's the highest of the 1990's models. So you are averaging 22-34% better than average.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-03-16 at 02:06 AM.

It's tough to see the odo through all the weed haze.
    No (gas) jeep Cherokee ever got 22mpg.

2 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast