Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless internet routers

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

finally getting high speed, via cable....I wanted to know If I could install the router in my basement and get a signal on my second floor. Or is it to far away???

Thanks any recomendations for a wireless???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

RevHappy's Website

2004 Titan Custom 1750cc
    2004 Honda Recon ES
    2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    4 Sale 6,500
    2001 KawasakiKDX 200

"I'll tell you what I tell my girl...Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

The link sys system works well.. You should be ok going through floors like that but make sure you get the 802.11 G wireless cards. They have better through put and receive stronger signal strength.

The only thing that could interfere with the signal is if you have high amounts of metal inbetween the floors.. i.e old iron pipe and such.. other than that you should be ok. The omnidirectional antena's are pretty good with signal reception.

Lemme know if you have any more questions..

Scott Major
    Ferrari Fix it Club Racing
    ALMS, SCCA, LRRS, CCS, FUSA #'s 161, 62, 676, 661, 205, 12, 60, 89...

Karloff? Sidekick? FUCK YOU!! That cocksucker does not deserve to smell my shit!

You should be able to get a good signal throughout your entire home with a wireless router. I would reccomend the Linksys WRT54G and a Linksys wireless G card. If you find that your signal is not strong enough, you should install a wireless bridge to enhance the signal in the areas where the signal may be weak.

You can PM me if you like for any additional info. I sell this stuff, so I know just enough to be dangerous...

LRRS#167

DLink or the Cisco built Linksys. Make sure it says Cisco on the Linksys product itself, or you got a 50/50 chance of an easily overheated POS within a year.

Best bet? Run CAT5 through your floor to your wireless router. Then there will be no problem with signal as it will be 1 floor away.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

So how do I hack into my neighbors system? I was getting free intrenet until he enabled security.

~ FTrain

Lifer

If you want it out of the way put it in the attic... you're better off putting it up high, and attic is likely not made of concrete.

Ben

Why would you need to install the router in the basement? As long as the cable company doesn't install a signal filter within the cable wiring in your home, you can plug the modem into any cable outlet in the house, then the router would plug into the modem. If you don't have any extra cable outlets in your house, consider paying a bit extra for them to install a second wall outlet, preferrably near the center of the house for a uniform spread of the wireless signal thoughout the house. This is probably cheaper than buying the extra equipment that John was suggesting.

In a normal house, you shouldn't need a wireless bridge or signal repeater. Besides, if you have network issues (ie: signal drop-outs, network loss, IP conflicts, etc), the fewer pieces in your network architecture, the easier the problem is to diagnose. Also, if you are going to use the Windows wireless manager, which is the default wireless manager, you will probably have issues connecting if the wireless manager finds multiple wireless signals. It wouldn't be as simple as just starting your pc, then going online. You'd have to go into the network manager and select the wireless broadcast that you want to use each time you boot the computer up.

If you have to set up the wireless router in the basement, you might have an issue getting a strong signal outside of the house. I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but I have a laptop set up in my car, and its nice to be able to use the network from the street or my driveway.

As was stated before, spend the extra $$ for the 802.11 G equipment. Its not much more expensive than the B class and you will be much happier with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    you seem to be related to nikon. so fuckyou too! go suck a cock./1
    2012 R1200GS Rallye

Originally posted by ftrain
    So how do I hack into my neighbors system? I was getting free intrenet until he enabled security.
    You need to know their WEP, or Security Encryption Key, otherwise you can't get in. Good luck. They are pretty well encrypted, and can have up to 5 lines of encryption keys set up on a typical wireless router.

2012 R1200GS Rallye

wow cool. lots of good anwsers here....I was checking out bestbuys site they got a nice package deal with G equipment with norton firewall. thanks guys!

RevHappy's Website

2004 Titan Custom 1750cc
    2004 Honda Recon ES
    2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    4 Sale 6,500
    2001 KawasakiKDX 200

Originally posted by RevHappy
    wow cool. lots of good anwsers here....I was checking out bestbuys site they got a nice package deal with G equipment with norton firewall. thanks guys!

BEWARE THE REBATES!

Guy who works in the next cell block in my cube farm is gettin hosed by Best Buy on $90 worth of rebates for Router/Wireless card combo packages.....

www.newegg.com

and me, I got a Dlink 802.11G USB network card, brand new, still in box and shrinkwrap, $35

Let me know if ya want it.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Originally posted by A996S
    You need to know their WEP, or Security Encryption Key, otherwise you can't get in. Good luck. They are pretty well encrypted, and can have up to 5 lines of encryption keys set up on a typical wireless router.
    That is a unacceptable answer. Now go back to the internet and come with a answer I like.

~ FTrain

whats it worth for you to get through the encryption scheme?

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

That is a unacceptable answer. Now go back to the internet and come with a answer I like.
    You could try downloading a password guessing program (the program runs through a very long list of possible/common passwords and tries them in the text field of said WEP key). This will take quite a while to run, and there is no guarantee that it will work.

2012 R1200GS Rallye

I Dance With Will

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    whats it worth for you to get through the encryption scheme?
    worth free connection? is that not the point?

"fuckit!"

I Dance With Will

and make sure your phone doesn't interfere with the wireless.

"fuckit!"

Or if you're really good (I'm guessing that you're not since you're asking) you could set up some sort of an Active X control (like something coded in Java or a similar language) with an install of a keystroke capture program and email this to your neighbor so that they unwillingly download it. This program will record all keystrokes from their PC and will write this all to a file, though I think you'll also need to include a Trojan with the Active X control so that you can gain access to this file on your neighbor's PC.

Keep in mind that I've never done these things, but I do somewhat understand the theories behind them, since after I graduated with my BS in I.T., I thought it might be useful to study network security for an interesting I.T. focus. You can't know about security without knowing how to hack to some extent, which would explain my knowledge, albeit very limited, of network hacking.

Happy hacking

2012 R1200GS Rallye

Originally posted by Kham
    and make sure your phone doesn't interfere with the wireless.
    Another good point. If you have any other wireless equipment in your house like a wireless phone, your wireless network signal strength will greatly diminish within the area of the other wireless equipment. If you have a wireless phone, keep the router away from the phone base.

Satellite equipment also seems to have a huge adverse effect on wireless routers, so I hope that you're not using Direct TV or anything like that. I've done some wireless installs in gas stations which use satelite for their credit card network and Corp communications and could barely get a signal from the router just 20 feet away.

Steel studded walls will also deteriorate a wireless signal, though I've never seen them in a house.

Last edited by Ducrappy; 10-25-04 at 04:12 PM.
    2012 R1200GS Rallye

great I got direct tv

RevHappy's Website

2004 Titan Custom 1750cc
    2004 Honda Recon ES
    2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    4 Sale 6,500
    2001 KawasakiKDX 200

Originally posted by RevHappy
    great I got direct tv
    Well most of my experience is with stronger satelite systems, so you might not have to worry with the Direct TV, but it will almost certainly have some ill -effects on your wireless router's reach throughout the house.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I did actually install a wireless router in a home with Direct TV once and did have some issues with the signal. The problem that I ran into was that the router was on one side of the house and his PC was at the other end of the house (Maybe 30 or 40 feet from the router), so I would definitely look at the previous posts to find the most cost effective way to position the router as near the center of the house as possible.

Good luck

2012 R1200GS Rallye

Lifer

If you get a nice Linksys G router it should even work OK if you have a wireless phone.

We had an apple router and it sucked ass, I live in an old house with tons of big iron radiators.

The Linksys setup is so strong I can use it out in the detached garage. I can take the laptop out the garage, plug it into my bike, and download fuel maps off the internet all wirelessly.

BTW... if you aren't a computer god it is a massive waste of your time to try and break into a properly secured & encrypted network. Better off to hope that someone in the neighborhood doesn't know what they're doing and lets you in free.

Not only to you have to crack the key, if you were trying to break into my network you would need to figure out the MAC address of one of my wireless cards and figure out a way to get your wireless card to use that MAC address. Not easy to do with consumer gear and MS windows or MAC OS. And I'd figure it out as soon as one of my computers got goofed up by the whole thing.

I have a CS degree and I will admit way back in the day I did some hacking and broke into systems. There is no way I would bother trying to do what you are trying to do. It requires a ton of obscure and arcane information, and a ridiculous amount of time.

It's a hell of a lot easier to break into a unix or windows system, hack someone's web server, etc.. than it is to break into an encrypted network built with simple hardware.

Basically if you had any chance of doing it, you'd know how to do it, and you wouldn't be asking here.

Ben

Originally posted by benVFR

Basically if you had any chance of doing it, you'd know how to do it, and you wouldn't be asking here.

Ben
    Excellent point Ben

2012 R1200GS Rallye

you guys arent comm's guys are you?

lots of good info here,
    few comments though,
    dish sattelite is a receive only system and it uses a directed antenna, which is pointed at the sky. that should not interfere with your A, B or G stuff.

cordless phones, may present a small interference factor, but the G standard is deigned to deal with it, its much wider band and much more sophisticated for error correction and ad-hoc channel reassignment, so if it sees the phone on its channel, it will reassign and get reception just fine.

your biggest enemy will actually be microwave ovens and propagation loss.
    1: Microwave ovens burst on 1/60 second intervals and its wideband and high power, the g standard is designed to try to channel hop around it, but the bandwidth can be too much over extenendded periods of time and hurt your link. The good news is that the impulsive nature of a microwave blast is not one proned to propagate real far, just stay away from it, physically, when you're making popcorn and you'll be fine.

2: propagation loss... this is path loss, put the thing as close to the center of the house as possible.... well the center of the places where it will be used. If you experience link problems due to a weak signal, linksys has a cool power amp ($100) for the signal and you can add directional antennas for further improvement.
    802.11A uses the 5.4 GHz ISM band for transmission, none of the aforementioned interferers will exist there, but path loss will be much higher at those upper freqs, so just stick to the G standard.

you really should be fine with a basic setup, i doubt you will need the antennas or amp if you get it centerd in the house pretty well. linksys makes nice hardware from the comm's side of things in my experience.

hope that helps.

end geek lesson.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Actually, you wouldn't need anything more than the encrption key. The problem is that most people don't type this in on a regular basis. Best bet? Break in and manually reset their router, then you can remote login and configure it to your liking. Just gotta look up the stock IP address and login info online.

Linksys: 192.168.1.1 admin, admin
    Dlink: 192.168.0.1 admin, (blank)

etc, etc

There is no need to try to reconfigure your MAC address with a router present. 99% of people use DHCP, so you will get your own address and nobody will be the wiser.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    you guys arent comm's guys are you?

lots of good info here,
    few comments though,
    dish sattelite is a receive only system and it uses a directed antenna, which is pointed at the sky. that should not interfere with your A, B or G stuff.

cordless phones, may present a small interference factor, but the G standard is deigned to deal with it, its much wider band and much more sophisticated for error correction and ad-hoc channel reassignment, so if it sees the phone on its channel, it will reassign and get reception just fine.

your biggest enemy will actually be microwave ovens and propagation loss.
    1: Microwave ovens burst on 1/60 second intervals and its wideband and high power, the g standard is designed to try to channel hop around it, but the bandwidth can be too much over extenendded periods of time and hurt your link. The good news is that the impulsive nature of a microwave blast is not one proned to propagate real far, just stay away from it, physically, when you're making popcorn and you'll be fine.

2: propagation loss... this is path loss, put the thing as close to the center of the house as possible.... well the center of the places where it will be used. If you experience link problems due to a weak signal, linksys has a cool power amp ($100) for the signal and you can add directional antennas for further improvement.
    802.11A uses the 5.4 GHz ISM band for transmission, none of the aforementioned interferers will exist there, but path loss will be much higher at those upper freqs, so just stick to the G standard.

you really should be fine with a basic setup, i doubt you will need the antennas or amp if you get it centerd in the house pretty well. linksys makes nice hardware from the comm's side of things in my experience.

hope that helps.

end geek lesson.
    You're even more of a geek than I

Thanks for the tip on the receive only signal of the TV satellite systems. I was unaware of this. As I stated before, my only real experience is with larger send/receive satellite systems which I can say with experience, do adversely affect at least B class wireless routers. You are truely a microwave geek. My hat's off to you sir

2012 R1200GS Rallye

i design wireless transceivers for a living, predominantly digital comm systems .... they are payload on all kinds of vehicles... air, ground, water, space... and maybe others in the future.

never thought the stuff i do for a living would show up or be useful here.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast