Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Wood stove

Wood stove

Yup, Its getting close to that time again. With a new house I have to start finding one.

I need some opinions...I Have the chance to buy a stove from a friend for $500.
    Its this http://www.discountstoves.net/Produc...de=Ovation2100

My only worry is it is to small, the house is about 1200sqft. What ya'll think?

Enough of a deal to buy and use for a bit? Way to small to be the only heat source(my hope)?

0 Not allowed!

Re: Wood stove

1200 sqft?? I would think that would do okay. I have about 1800 sqft and have an insert rated at 75k BTU. It does not quite work as our only source.. but then it is an insert stuffed into a chimney hanging off the North side of the house. With the blower we do okay. I believe a standalone wood-stove would heat way, way better.

I'd do it.

0 Not allowed!

For 1200 sq/ft it might be borderline, but not by much, as it'll be operating at the outside edge of it's efficiency. Don't go too big though as that causes it's own problems with too much soot and creosote build up.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by freezinvt View Post
    For 1200 sq/ft it might be borderline, but not by much, as it'll be operating at the outside edge of it's efficiency. Don't go too big though as that causes it's own problems with too much soot and creosote build up.
    I can attest to that. I'm cleaning the chimney 3-4 times a season because the stove is a little too big for the house. We can't burn the stove hot enough, if we try to, it literally gets to be 100* in the living room. Our wood stove is not large by any stretch, if we pack it full of wood before bed there is just enough coals left to get it going again in the morning. It's an older non emissions Jotul 8.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Is the 1200sqft including your basement where the stove is going to be? IMHO, it's to small. An 8 hour max burn time doesn't seem like much.
    Your house is set up similar to mine, and I know what works for me and in our climate! If you want to heat 100% with a stove, a 10 hour burn time with stove top staying +300f is a must if you plan to be away at work for 8 hours each day. It also sucks to wake up half way into the night to feed the thing. The trick is, not to let the house temp drop much, because with the stove in the basement, it takes a LONG time to raise the house temp. A 300-400f stove top temp will keep my 1st floor around 70-72, and the upstairs 65-68f when it's down to about 10 outside. The suck part, the basement temp to keep the house warm like that is around 88-90.
    Against what most say, I say go the bigger than needed. The bigger stove will give you longer burn time for those days you work late, and you can still let it rip with only a couple logs when you're home to "clean" the chimney. Look at it this way, your wood is going to be free for a while, it doesn't hurt your pocket to run the stove hot and have the windows cracked open to let in some fresh winter air.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Pellet stove. Cleaner, easier, runs all day, thermostat control on most. I bought a cheap one 5 years ago and it paid for itself in the 1st year. I burn 2.5 to 3 tons a year at $219 a ton and the house stays at 75 degrees. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

0 Not allowed!

I assumed the stove was going on the main level of the house. If it's going in the basement it needs to be much bigger like R7 stated. The OP never mentioned it was going in the basement and the stove looked decorative enough to go on the main level. Plan on burning more wood with it in the basement than that if it were on the main level. We use just the wood stove for heat all winter and only go through 3 cords of wood.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

R7? You load up before you go to work for an 8 hour day and leave that thing burning by itself all day? That's balls man. I sweat making a run to the grocery store with my stove rolling. I coast through the day on oil because I'm paranoid of a fire.

A pellet stove on a thermostat has a huge advantage here. I would feel much more comfortable letting one of those run unattended. I sometimes wish I'd gone pellet.

0 Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

I run my Vermont casting all day when I am not at home. I come home to hot coals and just top it off with wood and it fires back up. I dial back all the dampeners so it does not get crazy burning.
    Know your wood and know your stove.

1 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I also run my stove all day when I'm at work. Like mentioned above, know your stove and you'll be fine.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    R7? You load up before you go to work for an 8 hour day and leave that thing burning by itself all day? That's balls man. I sweat making a run to the grocery store with my stove rolling. I coast through the day on oil because I'm paranoid of a fire.

A pellet stove on a thermostat has a huge advantage here. I would feel much more comfortable letting one of those run unattended. I sometimes wish I'd gone pellet.
    Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    I run my Vermont casting all day when I am not at home. I come home to hot coals and just top it off with wood and it fires back up. I dial back all the dampeners so it does not get crazy burning.
    Know your wood and know your stove.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    I also run my stove all day when I'm at work. Like mentioned above, know your stove and you'll be fine.
    Our woodstove (Lopi Liberty) runs 24/7 usually from mid-October 'til late April, even early May. The 'know your stove, know your wood' is the best mantra. My stove maxes 75,000 BTU & is rated for 1500-2500 sq feet. That's obviously under ideal conditions within the stove-home layout-circulation-wood dynamic, but it does a helluva job heating our 2400+ sq. ft. I'd say 90% of our winter heat comes from it. I scrape my chimney every year, but it's rare ANYTHING ever comes out of it. We don't have a fan on ours, but we have ceiling fans all over the fargi' place. Although this year, we may very well try the thermo-controlled fan to see if we can increase our effeciency...

If you don't have a generator, a pellet stove will prove useless should you lose power. And given the frequency at which that happens now, even in more urban areas...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Again, get to know the stove, know your wood...

0 Not allowed!

What exactly do you mean by "know your stove, know your wood"? Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Maybe I'm just a pussy and should let the thing run.

I load 'er up before bed at 9-10 PM. As late as 7-8 AM the next morning I still have coals and do not have to re-light. My stove is pretty efficient on that front. I think what kills me is where the stove is located. Inserted in the chimney hanging off the cold side of the house is not ideal. Without the blower the heat doesn't go anywhere. When we loose power we remove the facade and all but live in the living room near the stove.

I really wanted a standing wood stove. But we haven't got the floor space any place I can put a stove-pipe out the house.

I need to start cleaning my own chimney so I can gauge soot buildup. I think I am burning hot enough.. I think.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 09-07-12 at 08:16 AM.

What exactly do you mean by "know your stove, know your wood"? Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Maybe I'm just a pussy and should let the thing run.
    Know how it operates and what settings you need to set it to so that nothing flares up. What happens with different wood? Some burn hotter for a short time and some burn longer and not quite as volatile.

What are you doing between 9pm-8am that you would not be doing between 9am-5pm. I'm guessing that you are not staying up all night in front of the stove waiting for it to do something. Just be like this guy

1 Not allowed!
    Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I load 'er up before bed at 9-10 PM. As late as 7-8 AM the next morning I still have coals and do not have to re-light. My stove is pretty efficient on that front. I think what kills me is where the stove is located. Inserted in the chimney hanging off the cold side of the house is not ideal. Without the blower the heat doesn't go anywhere. When we loose power we remove the facade and all but live in the living room near the stove.

I really wanted a standing wood stove. But we haven't got the floor space any place I can put a stove-pipe out the house.

I need to start cleaning my own chimney so I can gauge soot buildup. I think I am burning hot enough.. I think.
    Simply enough, if your stove is rated for that length burn, I'd say you're pretty familiar with your stove. Many people just get a woodstove and think it'll magically light, keep fed and all will forever be wonderful. Each stove has it's own little 'nuances' and will burn certain wood at certain temps for certain amounts of time. Think of some old jalopy. Same principle really. But it SOUNDS like you've got a pretty good handle on yours...

You already know it, but location obviously has a shitfuck load (yes, that's a new word) to do with how it lends heat to the house. The only redeeming quality of our old shack is that it was built with the intention to heat with a woodstove. That is, it's very open inside. But again, we have ceiling fans ALL over the place and WILL be using a thermo controlled blower specific for our unit this winter...

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    But again, we have ceiling fans ALL over the place and WILL be using a thermo controlled blower specific for our unit this winter...
    You not talking about one of these are you?

This one seems better

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nt650hawk; 09-07-12 at 08:57 AM.
    Gino

The shit people pay for...

We have an insert with an integrated blower. Sucks in air off the floor under the stove and blows it out a cavity on the top in front of the door. Air travels around the fire-box in a cavity. This makes it work the balls when we have power but not nearly as well without. I am only a little better off than the pellet guys when the power goes out.

Friends of ours figured out how to rig their pellet stove up to a 12V deep cycle battery.

Putting a ceiling fan in our living room and bedroom was some of the best money I ever spent. Helps so much in all seasons. The LR fan has been running nearly non-stop all summer.

0 Not allowed!

You not talking about one of these are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    specific for our unit...
    Those both make me ROTFLMAO. I quoted what I said for better clarification...

The shit people pay for...

We have an insert with an integrated blower. Sucks in air off the floor under the stove and blows it out a cavity on the top in front of the door. Air travels around the fire-box in a cavity. This makes it work the balls when we have power but not nearly as well without. I am only a little better off than the pellet guys when the power goes out.

Friends of ours figured out how to rig their pellet stove up to a 12V deep cycle battery.

Putting a ceiling fan in our living room and bedroom was some of the best money I ever spent. Helps so much in all seasons. The LR fan has been running nearly non-stop all summer.
    It's a rare occasion if our ceiling fans AREN'T running. Once direction this season, one direction next. Yes, TWO seasons: heating and not-heating...

0 Not allowed!

at 350 for the kettle fan .....uhhh. maybe for $100 it would be worth it. those small ones I think are for more of a conversation piece @ $130. outch....

0 Not allowed!
    Gino

at 350 for the kettle fan .....uhhh. maybe for $100 it would be worth it. those small ones I think are for more of a conversation piece @ $130. outch....
    The kettle fan needs some re-engineering. Heat doesn't generally need any help travelling UP...

Wait. What was the question again?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Pellet stove. Cleaner, easier, runs all day, thermostat control on most. I bought a cheap one 5 years ago and it paid for itself in the 1st year
    if you have to buy your wood,

I say ta hell with a stove, get a central furnace that burns wood, FHW or FHA, stoves are dirty, heat has to radiate rather than circulate

I have the Woodchuck 526

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    if you have to buy your wood,

I say ta hell with a stove
    If I had to buy wood, or pellets, I'd say ta hell with everything and just call the oil man! I burn about 4.5-5 cord a season and 0 gallons of oil for heat. The wood may cost me about $40-50 in fuel and chain saw wear and tear a season. Some say the time and effort of cutting/splitting wood isn't worth it, but I enjoy doing it and it's more exersize than you'll get out of a gym membership for a month. Also, depending on where you live and how much land you have, there are programs from the state that give you tax credits if you harvest forest products on your own land. In my case, I'm saving $400 per year in property tax just for cutting and burning my own firewood

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Yes, all day! Just like Stoneman, my stove is going 24/7 from mid November to mid April. If we get a freak 60-65 degree day, I may let it go out, other than that, I keep feeding it. Again, when the goal is 100% wood, no other fuels for heat, you have to keep it going. My stove is in my basement and if it goes out, it takes a long time to heat everythign back up. I'll let it burn down once per month or so to clean the chimney, but even then, there is a thick bed of coals still holding heat inside it. I've got it down where I can close the stove dampers, cover the flue hole with tinfoil and keep what's in the stover there long enough to clean the chimney.

As mentioned, learning your stove is key! IMHO, it takes a full season of burning to learn what works and what doesn't for your house. I've found the easiest thing for me was to have a thermometor for my basement temp, one on the flue for the flue temp, and a stovetop. Just pay attention to what they read at various times of the day, and at various outside temps

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    If I had to buy wood, or pellets, I'd say ta hell with everything and just call the oil man!
    same here, although I have "bought" wood, but only cause a wood chopper owed me money and getting him to deliver me a truckload of tree length was my only reasonable expectation of getting paid

I burn both wood and oil, furnace is too big for my house, can't really get the wood furnace cranking unless it's really cold, most of time, I get small fire going, let it go out and oil kicks on. I burn about 2-3 cords + 100-150 gallons of #2 or 3-4 cords + 50-100 gallons or 1 cord + one tank

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Mostly pine here.. and only 2 acres at that. No way I could reliably heat off this land. But even then, green firewood is comparatively cheap.

You guys make me really wish I could have pulled off a proper wood stove. Just getting the insert out to get to the flue is a half a day project.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast