Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Wood stove

Re: Wood stove

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Yeah, I looked it up there also and was surprised. Maybe the wood I think is beech local to me isn't actually beech. Cause man it's light. Like almost poplar light.
    I wouldn't classify beech as light. Post a pic of the bark if you can. Maybe it's young paper or black birch that hasn't started "flaking" yet? Post a pic, Randy will tell you what it is.

Reminds me that I need to buck up a big pine this spring. God does that stuff work well at getting the stove up to temp quick.
    A good friend and ex-neighbor owns Reeds Ferry Sheds. Gathering fire starter now requires a phone call. Within a couple days, I have two shipping crates filled with kiln dried 2-by building scraps & remnants. Fuckin' guy dropped of BUNDLES of cedar siding boards, still strapped. All blemished and can't be used on the job. Talk about getting a fire going!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Yeah, I looked it up there also and was surprised. Maybe the wood I think is beech local to me isn't actually beech. Cause man it's light. Like almost poplar light.
    beech seems to loose more weight as it dries, than other northern hardwoods, and I think that red maple that grows in uplands is denser than the same species in wetlands

just mental observations of mine over the years, no documented studies

American Chestnut, that looks a lot like beech, is lighter, but doubtful yer burning chestnut, there is very little around after the blight, and even less that is bigger than sapling size (seems to be the size the old stump sprouts get when the blight attacks)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Reminds me that I need to buck up a big pine this spring. God does that stuff work well at getting the stove up to temp quick.
    I have endless supply of pine if anyone wants some, I can't use it in my outdoor boiler. I had a couple 100' tall pines uproot and fall across my driveway a couple years ago. They broke 2 telephone poles and ripped the wires off 2 more poles.

Sounds like you're mistaking poplar for beach. The bark looks similar, but poplar is very heavy when wet, and as light as pine when it dries.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Ok, heat pump is all hooked up and the system is functioning as designed. Super trick! Right now and throughout the day outside temp was around 40, so the Bosch heatpump is maintaining the house temp. If the temp drops below 35 tonight it will switch to oil. This week I expect it to switch back and forth daily. Next week with the cold snap and single digit temp it will be just oil heat which is nice and toasty.

The system will never struggle to keep up, and over the course of a season we should burn 40-50% less oil. I'll be curious to see what our electric bill does. That is the wildcard here. Electricity in MA has gotten pretty damned expensive. I hope the system is efficient! If oil is cheaper, I can run just oil.

They placed the Bosch unit under our deck outside the dining area. The system makes a little noise and vibration like a quiet a/c unit. Having it on the opposite side of the house as our bed means it is completely quiet for sleeping. In actual A/C mode for summer, he said it's much quieter still so it shouldn't be a bother on the deck.

Paul_E_D

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

been taking a break form the W-stove this week. 65 degrees with FHW thru cast iron radiators is not the same heat as 65 with the W-stove. W-stove feels warmer and more comfortable says Kate.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    been taking a break form the W-stove this week. 65 degrees with FHW thru cast iron radiators is not the same heat as 65 with the W-stove. W-stove feels warmer and more comfortable says Kate.
    Agreed, nothing is more comfy than radiant heat. Baseboard heat of any kind is the least comfy as its not moving the warm air to where you are living. Not surprised you notice a big difference.

Forced Hot Air is a big step better as at least the air in the house is being circulated and the warmth is getting to the right places. It's supposedly less efficient due to leakage from the ductwork, but all of our ducts are under living space and leakage just warms the floors. Win/win in my book.

We were super bummed that we couldn't easily replace our stove, the the FHA system works very well, is nearly as comfy, and requires zero effort. It also filters the air in the house and heats my basement shop to boot.

Paul_E_D

My biggest pet peve with our hydro air system is the dust. While the system filters the air, it also blows around the dust from everyday life. It's amazing how much dust is in clothing, laundry, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. The only reason we went with the hydro forced air unit, was for the central air. The house felt better with the old baseboard forced water system.

Also, comfort level is mostly related to humidity level. Wood stoves lower the humidity level much much faster than any other type of heating system. We keep our house at 70 all the time, if I light the wood stove, the temp usually stays the same, but the house feels much much warmer.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Just had ours inspected a couple weeks ago. They said our stove was shit and needed to be replaced, wanted $2300 to replace the fireplace flue, and another $5500 or so to replace the oil flue (though they said just keep that in mind, not an immediate thing). He was cool about it and said he had to quote it as such but wouldn't do it all if it were him.

I looked into it and the bricks in the fireplace seem easy enough to replace. The flue... never done anything like that myself but the materials weren't crazy expensive, at least for the fire place.

Thoughts on DIY vs paying so much to have them do it (for the fireplace for now)? I have some friends with some experience doing such things... just seems sketchy with a 2.5 story roof to get up on.

May end up with a funny youtube fail video at least.

Are you talking about the clay flue in a masonry chimney?

Did they say why these needed to be replaced and was there a detailed report on the inspection?

I replaced my oil flue liner a few months ago, in my case it was easy because I have a massive stone chimney with 16x16 flues. All I did was order a 30' stainless liner kit, got up on the roof, dropped a rope down the flue and had someone in the basement pull the flue down with the rope as I guided it in. Hooked the bottom to the boiler pipe, then cemented the pipe in place. The top, I just added to the existing cement cap that was covering the other 3 flues. Cost me about $500 for everything, and the local chimney company want $2500 to do it, plus extra to bring in a masonry for the chimney work.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Installed a pellet insert this morning in the family room. The room has a vaulted ceiling (17' ft) and has an open balcony overlooking from the second floor. With the insert heat set to low the second floor is 2-3 degrees higher than normal and approx half my second floor is a couple degrees higher. The only place I'm not really getting heat to is the first floor master, which has its own heat zone so not that big of a deal - wasn't expecting to be able to circulate heat to the master anyways. House is 2,600 sq ft above grade.

Maybe now the family will stop complaining about the house being to cold.

I think i outlined the slick heatpump/oil furnace hybrid system we insatlled last fall in this thread. Well, now it's hot any muggy and we are enjoying quiet, efficient central air from the system. Wow. This thing kicks ass! That is all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I think i outlined the slick heatpump/oil furnace hybrid system we insatlled last fall in this thread. Well, now it's hot any muggy and we are enjoying quiet, efficient central air from the system. Wow. This thing kicks ass! That is all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I friend of mine is in the HVAC business keeps pushing me towards this kind of system. Has it lowered your heating costs overall? How was the electrical bill with the heat pump running?

Another feature that entrigues me is a variable speed or modulating furnace for FHA. With these systems the blower speed varies with demand. I've heard that when it's just maintaining temperature, it runs super low providing a steady stream of warm air for extended periods of time. Efficiency doesn't change but it's a lot more comfortable.

Yep, the variable speed thing is awesome. Even A/C uses it. It means the temp stays super consistent and the system doesn't work hard to maintain temp. The air circulation is nice too.

Our electric bill went up by 120 bucks in the highest use months March/April. My oil use in those months was negligible. So we were heating more than 1500 sq feet (we heated the basement shop and laundry room) for 120/month. I think that's pretty good. Unfortunately I don't have much data from before as we were in construction last spring with the doors open a lot and the temp set low. Even still, I think we cut our oil use in half over the course of the year.

We don't have any bills for cooling yet, but my hvac guy says that it really sips electricity in cooling mode. We are expecting it to be low impact on our bills. We live in the woods and won't use it all the time.

Paul_E_D

This spring we decided to get cental air and that's when it was suggested we go with the hybrid solution but I couldn't justify the cost. Our heating system is really efficient. We have a 2,000 square foot colonial and burn between 350 and 400 gallons of propane a year. We do a group buy for propane that typcially puts us just over $2 per gallon. It works out to be damn cheap for a 2,000 square foot house.

The issue I have with our setup is comfort. I find the house is most comfortable when the heat is on and to me that's where the appeal of a modulating furnace comes in. We have a single stage furnace that is set for worst case scenario so it really blasts. Meanwhile, the house is well insulated so it hardly runs (generally one 5 minute cycle an hour). So basically the heat is hardly ever on and when it is, it's too much.

You're the first person I've heard from who has direct experience with a modulating system. In theory they should work really well, but I have yet to hear from someone who has experience with it until now. I almost wish I did a full upgrade just for the comfort.

Listen, you two fucks need to get out of the wood stove thread with this chit chat about variable frequency drives and modulating furnaces. Start your own thread. Figure it out.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Who brings a tow-a-hoe to a tractor thread?

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Listen, you two fucks need to get out of the wood stove thread with this chit chat about variable frequency drives and modulating furnaces. Start your own thread. Figure it out.
    Actually, I'm considering a wood stove to address the comfort issue. Anyone have suggestions for a decorative yet functional stove that will look decent in a living room? I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    Actually, I'm considering a wood stove to address the comfort issue. Anyone have suggestions for a decorative yet functional stove that will look decent in a living room? I'm guessing it won't be cheap.
    We have a Vermont Castings Encore. Love it, looks great, works great.

Here's the post when I installed mine several years back, a few pages back.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

2 days 7 cords oak/ash/maple cut chopped and stacked. = $0 winter 2020/2021 heating. only used wood slitter for notty rounds. beat that! not a whole lot of insulation if any in the walls. 1200sq/ft. I may be getting a 2nd load. Who know possibly some for pick up. @creepyone... got you in mind...

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Regency HI300 insert here. Looks good. Gazillion times better than the fireplace it sits in.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    This is exactly what I'm looking for (it was too far back in the thread for me to remember as I've been following this since it started).

My wife wants a gas fireplace but to me they aren't as functional. I see them as primarily for asthetics/ambiance and I hear they guzzle propane.

We are looking for something primarily for occassional use to give us the comfort we are missing with our FHA system, but I also want something that can be used as a back up in case our furnace goes down, we lose power, or fuel prices go through the roof. I see a wood stove as being far more suitable under these circumstances. My parents had one for the same reasons when I was growing up and it proved itself to be very valuable over the years.

If I could only convince my wife. As of now the battle hasn't been won. While she is considering the wood stove, she has yet to take the gas fireplace option off the table.

This is exactly what I'm looking for (it was too far back in the thread for me to remember as I've been following this since it started).

My wife wants a gas fireplace but to me they aren't as functional. I see them as primarily for asthetics/ambiance and I hear they guzzle propane.

We are looking for something primarily for occassional use to give us the comfort we are missing with our FHA system, but I also want something that can be used as a back up in case our furnace goes down, we lose power, or fuel prices go through the roof. I see a wood stove as being far more suitable under these circumstances. My parents had one for the same reasons when I was growing up and it proved itself to be very valuable over the years.

If I could only convince my wife. As of now the battle hasn't been won. While she is considering the wood stove, she has yet to take the gas fireplace option off the table.
    I got lucky finding mine barely used on Craigslist, IIRC I paid $2k or so. It can heat my whole home (1,700 sq ft) if I leave the bedroom doors open upstairs. It also looks great. They have 2 models that are smaller, I have a friend with the Aspen in southern VT who runs it most of the winter and it does well. They also have a wood burning insert if you already have a fireplace.

God I love this Blaze King.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

My mother has a tiny little gas (propane) stove in her family room that runs just fine when the power is out. She is on oil for her primary but cooks with propane. So she can play mix-it-up if fuel prices get weird.

My (wood) insert isn't nearly as effective with the power out as I wish it were. It needs the fan to be running to be effective.
    In the past friends with pellet stoves have run theirs off a 12V battery and an inverter in a long outage. I should rig something like that up for ours. I need is the circulation fan to pull the heat out of the chimney/fireplace space.

If I had space for a free-standing wood stove or pellet stove I would have done that instead.

TWe are looking for something primarily for occassional use to give us the comfort we are missing with our FHA system, but I also want something that can be used as a back up in case our furnace goes down, we lose power, or fuel prices go through the roof. I see a wood stove as being far more suitable under these circumstances. My parents had one for the same reasons when I was growing up and it proved itself to be very valuable over the years.

I have FHA oil, I added a FHA wood furnace side by side, the plenums are connected, uses same existing ductwork. Wood is not in living area, I have a small 900sqft home, only 2x4 construction, so I only have R-13 walls, but I do have R-49 ceiling. If I don't burn any wood, I'll go thru 3 tanks of oil, if I don't burn any oil, I'll go thru 5 cords of wood,

but 1 cord + 1 tank is my normal winter, start fire in late afternoon, house warms up by wood, oil doesn't come on, or if it does when real cold, only a few minutes (house heats fast when both oil and wood blower fans are going), I keep wood going till bedtime, thermostat is set to drop, thermal mass of woodpile, and dying fire keeps night temp maintained, in morning oil comes on just before we wake up. brings house up to temp, then we drop the thermostat temp during the day again, and repeat cycle.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject