Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Wood stove

Re: Wood stove

Yep. Stove is going in the basement, and I guess I shoulda added that square footage to.
    So total area about 1900sqft. So it seems that this stove will be to small? I am a bit new to wood stoves so I am just unsure and want some opinions.

If this one wont do it, have any suggestion what to look for? Cost will be a big factor so I'll be searchin craigslist.
    Brands matter? What size? Blowers needed?.....Yea i'm a bit lost on this one

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Mostly pine here.. and only 2 acres at that. No way I could reliably heat off this land. But even then, green firewood is comparatively cheap.

You guys make me really wish I could have pulled off a proper wood stove. Just getting the insert out to get to the flue is a half a day project.
    same here, 2acres, (300x300) primarily big sawlog pine, but enuf red maple, beech & oak that I cut 2-4 cords every year for the past 25 years and I still got plenty of hardwood in the understory, also,about every 12 years, I have cut about 10,000 ft of pine, due for another pine harvest this year, only takes a dozen trees the size mine are, this year, I got about 2500ft of hemlock marked too. I'll have a guy come up with a portable mill and make me some roughcut for projects I have planned

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

How's that woodstove doing in your house on these cold nights?

Mine is chugging down the firewood fast with a stove top temp of 700 at the moment, I have not even turned on the oil heat yet this season. 93 in my basement now, 72 in the house

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Ha ha 93? Nice. Mine is in the living room so it's about 85 in here so the rest of the house can be about 70-72. But yeah, it's using up the wood at a pretty good rate. I haven't had to run the oil at all either. I've been having to get up at about 3 or 4am to load it back up or it gets chilly at the far end of the house by morning.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Stoves great. Even with this cold air I have no issue keeping the house heated. Usually go to bed with the first floor at 70*.

Have found that if I really get that stove going, I can get about a degree a hour back in the house and stove top will be in the 700+ range too. Helped today when the house was at 62 after work.

Sure using some wood though! I would have to guess i've burned 3 cord give or take.

Havent even bought oil yet

0 Not allowed!

I'm still too much of a pussy to run it during the day when I'm not here. Today the stove was a real bitch to get going when I got home from work.

0 Not allowed!

3 cord? I've honestly burnt about half that, maybe 2 cord at the most.
    That seems to be the trick, make it last all day burning slow, then crank it up when you get home from work. It was 67 in the house when i got home today and the stove still had a good bed of coals

That's about what I get, a degree an hour when it's this cold

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by R7; 01-24-13 at 08:20 PM.
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I'm still too much of a pussy to run it during the day when I'm not here. Today the stove was a real bitch to get going when I got home from work.
    Why? Do you not trust the stove?

I'm sure it was. Its nice to have that bed of coals, re-fill and walk away

Yeah I'd say close to 3 cord, Mark. When I measured the pile I had about 8 cord. So just going be eye

0 Not allowed!

I'm paranoid I'll come home to a pile of ashes. I'm not saying the paranoia is rational, but I have it.

I fill the stove before bed, but not in the morning before work.

I'm also on my 2nd tank of oil this season and have barely burned a cord.

0 Not allowed!

Get the stove ripping in the morning while you're getting ready for work then choke it down before you leave.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

I'm paranoid I'll come home to a pile of ashes. I'm not saying the paranoia is rational, but I have it.

I fill the stove before bed, but not in the morning before work.

I'm also on my 2nd tank of oil this season and have barely burned a cord.
    2nd tank of oil? That hurts, I can't stand filling mine once every 2 years, never mind twice in a season!

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Get the stove ripping in the morning while you're getting ready for work then choke it down before you leave.
    Similar to what I do, but I really don't let it get ripping before I shut it down. I get 11-12 hours no problem doing that, but I do have to make sure I burn it hot for a while when I get home to burn off any buildup

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    2nd tank of oil? That hurts, I can't stand filling mine once every 2 years, never mind twice in a season!
    I average 3 tanks/year. Before the stove, that was 4.

Based on everything I've seen, your house is about a gazillion times better insulated than mine.

Seriously, I need to do something about the attic/roof this year. I've already started warning the missus the kitchen fund is at risk. Those conversations have not been fun.

0 Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Probably have used 2-3 cords so far. every day every night since mid November. Pretty constant 65-70 and leave the T-stat at 55. Don't think the heat has had a chance to kick in. I can tell because the basement is cold (50 's) lately when I go down to work on the bikes.

benn bringing home 1 cord of oak, Cutting and hand splitting a week for the past 3 weeks for next season. I may take a brake this weekend and just enjoy the woodstove.

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I burn 3 cord for the whole winter. I go through roughly one tank of oil every year seeing it assists heating my hot water. I can shut the furnace off but then my electric bills goes up quite a bit.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

I should mention . In a non-insulated house.

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I've only burned half a cord so far this year. Also only went through half a tank of oil since early November. Thought it would be a lot more than that given we have double the living space now and more than twice the windows as last year. That and I'm heating the garage.

I keep the house around 66 on the coldest nights with the stove. It's down to 62 in the morning which is where I set the thermostats (in floor radiant is a set it and forget it heat, not supposed to turn it up and down all the time). The bigger difference in temp between inside and outside, the faster you lose the heat you paid for. I don't mind keeping it a little cooler on the really cold nights.

I figure once we get our double cellular blinds for the windows, it'll help a bunch.

Shitty vinyl windows in the existing house have rings of ice on the bottoms of the panes. Junk. They are all getting swapped out for the triple pane windows that I put in the addition. 69x64 and the inside glass is room temp to the touch, even last night. Love it.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I've burned about 1.5 cord, heating with the stove two-thirds of the time and using the boiler for the rest. Some of the cement has come off the joints in my stove and it's fucking up my burn times and heat output, so fixing that and getting piss drunk are my projects for today. I'm probably going to install a kit to make the stove burn outside air too later in the day. We have an IR camera at work we use to detect hot spots on power lines and equipment, my plan is to bring it home and figure out where some of this cold air is getting into the house.

0 Not allowed!

+1 on my cement failing onthe stove hence a lot of wood i have gone thru. Last time I rebuild the woodstove was probably 7 years ago. it's due

0 Not allowed!
    Gino

Cement?

The door seal on mine is looking a little rough after only 4 years. I think I am burning more this year due to that.

0 Not allowed!

Cement.
    the thing that seals up the corners and edges of my woodstove.

0 Not allowed!
    Gino

Cement?

The door seal on mine is looking a little rough after only 4 years. I think I am burning more this year due to that.
    my stove is made of soapstone tiles that are keyed together with steel splines, and sealed with cement.

0 Not allowed!

Huh. Mine is cast iron. I thought the firebox was welded.

0 Not allowed!

Typically cast iron stoves are all put together with furnace cement.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

welded cast iron and heat. you must have a lot of cracks due to expansion.

0 Not allowed!
    Gino

I honestly don't know. I do not believe it is leaking. There is no evidence of it leaking, except from the door seal. The manual does not list cement/joints as a maintenance item.

0 Not allowed!