Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Wood stove

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: Wood stove

newer stoves arent cast iron, they are welded steel so no joints. just the seal around the door.
    i went looking at pellet stoves the other day because im tired of fighting the woodstove. mine is really really old. older than any of you im sure. so it has lots of "leaks". with it choked all the way down, im lucky to get 3 hours of burn time.
    this coupled with the fact that the house is very poorly insulated (esp in the attic) most of my heat goes out through the roof, windows, doors and any of the many air leaks in the house. i can go to bed with a fully stocked stove and the temp in the house between 80 and 90 and wake up at 7am and have it be mid 60s at best. usually in the 50s.
    im in the works of getting the attic properly insulated but i have no way to find all the air leaks in the house. i know that they are there because i can occasionally feel a draft come across the floor. i know of one or 2 in the bedroom that i need to address.
    im thinking pellet stove because it will burn all day and likely keep the house at at least 60-70 (even in its current state). while i was shopping though i talked to the guy about just upgrading the wood stove to a newer one with a reburner and/or a catalyst. says i can get between 8-10 hours of burn time and be using (at least) 1/3 of the wood im using now (which is generally 1.5-2 cords) if i continue to use the stove the way i do (which is letting it go out, not that i have a choice since im not home during the day to keep it going and i dont (generally) get up 2-3 times during the night to feed it. i like to sleep).
    so at half the cost of a pellet stove we may just put in a new wood stove.
    another thing im fighting is that i cant seem to buy my wood a year before i want to use it. so we get our delivery at the end of the summer and thats what we use in the winter. theres usually not much (if any) left over for the next season.
    the good news is i havent bought any oil.
    the bad news is the wood stove is my only heat source because there is no furnace.

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    I'm probably going to install a kit to make the stove burn outside air too later in the day.
    Where did you find this? I was looking around for a bit and could not find much. Is it made just for your stove?

I had noticed that if open my basement door when the fire is ripping you can acually hear the fire pick up due to the rush of air. Door is only 8' away or so. Made me think a outside air kit would help. And then the stove is not pulling cold air through the house where ever it can find it.

0 Not allowed!

I never liked a cast iron stove, they take much longer to heat up, they make noise as they heat up, and as posted here, they are more work to take care of. Steel plate is the way to go for primary heat use IMO.
    I've been looking on craigslist for the past month for a steel plate stove for my garage...no luck until last night. This gem popped up for $100, called today on it while at work and picked it up on the way home

Wood stove-garage-heater-jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm still too much of a pussy to run it during the day when I'm not here. Today the stove was a real bitch to get going when I got home from work.
    So the thought of being consumed by fire while sleeping is more comforting than what might happen while you are at work? Interesting.

0 Not allowed!

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
    1972 Honda CL70

Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Is there a way for me to find the air leaks in my house?

0 Not allowed!
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Use the back of your hand to feel for drafts. It is more sensitive to temps than your palm.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    newer stoves arent cast iron, they are welded steel so no joints. just the seal around the door.
    You are right, of course. Mine has a cast iron facade, but is a steel stove and is welded.

For those curious, it is a Hampton HI300 insert. Depending on wood, we have reliably seen 6-8 hour burn times no problem, until this season. Like I said, I think the door seal is on its way out.

this coupled with the fact that the house is very poorly insulated (esp in the attic) most of my heat goes out through the roof, windows, doors and any of the many air leaks in the house. i can go to bed with a fully stocked stove and the temp in the house between 80 and 90 and wake up at 7am and have it be mid 60s at best. usually in the 50s. im in the works of getting the attic properly insulated but i have no way to find all the air leaks in the house. i know that they are there because i can occasionally feel a draft come across the floor. i know of one or 2 in the bedroom that i need to address.
    Sounds very familiar. How the hell have you not bought oil yet this season?!?

im thinking pellet stove because it will burn all day and likely keep the house at at least 60-70 (even in its current state).
    Several of my friends use pellet stoves. I am the only one that burns wood. Some days I think we should have gone pellet. I feel like they are safer. Maybe that's absurd, but I would have no problem letting them go non-stop on a thermostat.

My buddy buys a tank a year of oil, max. Mostly for his hot water. But then he also has a nearly brand new "energy star" house that is as tight as a ducks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    So the thought of being consumed by fire while sleeping is more comforting than what might happen while you are at work? Interesting.
    Like I said, not entire rational. But I have smoke detectors. I have more confidence that we would wake up and have a fighting chance of either putting out the fire or getting the town fire dept here before the place burned to the ground.

Meanwhile, if there were a fire during the day, the neighbors' wife might notice the smoke through the woods once the place were really rippin'. Also our dogs.. well.. I'd rather not finish that thought.

Rational or not. That's my thinking.

0 Not allowed!

Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I dont have anything that runs on fuel. Our wood stove is our only heat source. Thats how.

0 Not allowed!

Ha, that explains that.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    Where did you find this? I was looking around for a bit and could not find much. Is it made just for your stove?

I had noticed that if open my basement door when the fire is ripping you can acually hear the fire pick up due to the rush of air. Door is only 8' away or so. Made me think a outside air kit would help. And then the stove is not pulling cold air through the house where ever it can find it.
    The one I bought is specific to my stove model and sold through the dealer. The stove is a Hearthstone Mansfield. I almost got it installed today but a bottle of Jack got in my way before I started. I'm re-heating pizza bow.

0 Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

HUH.. Rocket Mass heater ???

VERY interesting

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nt650hawk; 02-22-13 at 11:30 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Been looking at the rocket mass heater for some time now. Not going to try it. I burn firewood logs, not twigs and berries, and I haven't seen any successful RM heaters that are large enough to burn actual firewood. But I could still use the principal of the idea: heat up a large mass inside the house and it will radiate heat long after the flame goes out. Now I just need to put some boulders next to my wood stove.

Also, check out the crazy unibrow of the guy who seems to have invented this type of heater

0 Not allowed!

I would invest In a pellet stove but there's no good spot in my house to put it that it would help distribute the heat everywhere :/

0 Not allowed!

i was tossing around the idea of a stove for my basement...would probably use it only when i was doing something in the basement or if the power goes out and from time to time...was trying to decide between natural gas, pellet and wood...i have a good amount of split firewood stacked in my yard...i like that pellet and natural gas vent right out the side of the house without needing a stack up to the roof (2 floor house)...but pellet stove feeders go down when the power goes out and i'm not a huge fan of having to buy pellets...leaning towards the natural gas option right now cause if i went with wood i would either have an ugly huge stack up the side of the house or have to enclose it and side it which would be a pain and a little extra cash for something that wouldn't be used all that much

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

im just about out of wood. been stealing from the landlord because shes not using much this year for some reason

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by B440 View Post
    But I could still use the principal of the idea: heat up a large mass inside the house and it will radiate heat long after the flame goes out.
    I have one of those. I call it a brick chimney.

The kick in the nuts is 75% of the chimney is outside, on the north side of the house.

My woodshed is half empty and I'm down to 1 (of 4) rows of wood in my drying stacks outside. Probably gonna buy some this spring.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    i was tossing around the idea of a stove for my basement...would probably use it only when i was doing something in the basement or if the power goes out and from time to time...was trying to decide between natural gas, pellet and wood...i have a good amount of split firewood stacked in my yard...i like that pellet and natural gas vent right out the side of the house without needing a stack up to the roof (2 floor house)...but pellet stove feeders go down when the power goes out and i'm not a huge fan of having to buy pellets...leaning towards the natural gas option right now cause if i went with wood i would either have an ugly huge stack up the side of the house or have to enclose it and side it which would be a pain and a little extra cash for something that wouldn't be used all that much
    I have a natural gas stove that I stopped using about 7 years ago, we removed it to put in a wood stove. The gas stove is nice, you can turn it on with a switch or thermostat, but to get it to really put out any heat you need to have the blower running. Mine is 38k max btu, and something stupid like 82% efficient. It sucks if you use it for anything more than ambiance. I like the pellet stove, you can run it with a small generator or use a battery and an inverter during power outages.

0 Not allowed!

I like the pellets too. Clean and easy to store and handle. IIRC the stoves can be thermostat controlled. And I'm a lot more comfortable leaving them running unattended. Plus everyone sells fuel pellets. Were I to do it over again I am not sure I'd go wood.

0 Not allowed!

you all should hire me to put in high efficiency condensing furnaces for you. 96% efficient..3 percent stack loss. stack temp so low it condenses which is why you see all condensing furnaces with PVC vent pipe. condensation+sulfer from combustion gas=sulfuric acid=no no for chimeys or any metal.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by close2reality; 02-23-13 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    I have a natural gas stove that I stopped using about 7 years ago, we removed it to put in a wood stove. The gas stove is nice, you can turn it on with a switch or thermostat, but to get it to really put out any heat you need to have the blower running. Mine is 38k max btu, and something stupid like 82% efficient. It sucks if you use it for anything more than ambiance. I like the pellet stove, you can run it with a small generator or use a battery and an inverter during power outages.
    sounds like a pellet stove might be a better option for me then

Quote Originally Posted by close2reality View Post
    you all should hire me to put in high efficiency condensing furnaces for you. 96% efficient..3 percent stack loss. stack temp so low it condenses which is why you see all condensing furnaces with PVC vent pipe. condensation+sulfer from combustion gas=sulfuric acid=no no for chimeys or any metal.
    got one...just want a little something for the basement and if the power goes out...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 02-25-13 at 08:36 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Just read most of this thread, we're going to add a stove to the house. I've never ran a stove myself but we always had one growing up. The house already has a good double wall stack and hearth, so it's a plug and play situation. We're a bit torn on what stove to go with. I've found a local shop I like, and they have a really nice remanufactured Vermont Castings Encore non-catalytic stove. There's also a new Regency F3100 non-catalytic welded steel stove.

Most signs point to it being a smarter buy to go with the Regency. Less moving parts, slightly more efficient, and its new. BTUs are almost identical, burn time is about the same, and price is pretty close. The VC is $1500, the Regency is $2k but has a $200 rebate. There's also a chance we can get a floor model that the manufacturer used at trade shows for $1600.

We prefer the look of the cast stove. We live in a 130 year old farm house that we're restoring so character is somewhat important. Our downstairs is pretty much all opened up with living room, dining room, and office area all in one 800 sq ft space, the stove will live in there. Definitely a lot to be said for the reliability of a new steel stove.

For cast owners, how much actual maintenance do you find you do on your stove? The Regency is stupid simple. One door, one gasket, replacement bricks are dirt cheap. The VC has a top load, side load, and a damper gasket to mind, there's also the concern of resealing the cast panels periodically although this stove has been completely done.

What say you?

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I have a Hampton wood insert in my fireplace. It's made by Regency except it is cast iron. At least the face is. The body of the stove is steel. I've had it for probably 6 years now and done virtually nothing to it but adjust the latch on the door. The seal is arguably due to be replaced. I have cleaned the stainless chimney liner a couple times now and usually brush little more than dust out of it. I believe this thing burns pretty clean with nice dry wood. The bricks inside are still solid. It moves a ton of heat once warm, but takes 20-30+ min to warm up. Once warm it stays warm enough for the fan thermostat to run for a long time.

I think it is pretty efficient. And I love the look. Well built stove and worth the $. Dog is asleep in front of it as I type.

0 Not allowed!

I have a Harman TL300 that replaced a VC Resolute. Never going back to cast iron again....

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I heat ~2400 sq ft with an antique (like pre-1970) Old Mill iron stove. I replaced the (original) asbestos door gaskets 2 years ago and rebricked the box this past year. Wood goes in, heat comes out. I enjoy the absence of electronics and the simplicity of getting the tindered flame to overcome a cold chimney.

The stove stays burning for weeks at a time so the ashes are scooped out every couple/ few weeks or so. The stove itself is huge so your results may vary.
    I'm not sure what to consider maintenance beyond cleaning ashes out and knocking a summer's worth of dust off it before that first winter burn. After 35 years I hardly consider door gasket replacement "maintenance".

For the money you're talking about, I'd be hitting up CL all day.

0 Not allowed!

I have an All Nighter Moe that I use to heat my 1000sqft ranch. Thing is a beast. Looking to get a smaller stove to put in the fireplace on the main floor to supplement the heat coming from the basement.

0 Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS #316 ECK Racing GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | OnTrack Media

2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!