Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Worth contesting speeding ticket?

Worth contesting speeding ticket?

Long story short: 85 in 55 on Mass Pike EB in Newton at ~1045pm on a Thursday. No alcohol, I was cordial with the Statie (whom was very much NOT nice in any way). As a soon-to-be-official Mass resident, who will likely experience insurance increase just by virtue of moving from the 'burbs to Cambridge, what is the likelihood of getting the ticket reduced or thrown out? I have no experience with MA traffic court or Staties.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- LRRS/CCS EX #47 --- 2018 and 2019 LRRS Double Backup Champion GTL and ULSB, 2012 LRRS Champion AM Thunderbike --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Brunetto T-Shirts / GMD CompuTrack

Re: Worth contesting speeding ticket?

Always fight. It's 50/50 if you win. Being in the right or in the wrong makes no difference.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Btw, the cops are crawling all around that area due to the construction.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Dic on

Its always worth buying your constitutional right to face your accuser. In Mass that will cost you $50.

There are many factors that influence whether you will be found responsible. Your guilt or innocence is not one of them.

You haven't been caught being a public danger on the highway. You have been caught in the act of moving faster than an arbitrary speed designed specifically to maintain the budget of the state judicial system through fines and insurance company kickbacks.

Consider that when you are deciding whether to appeal to the magistrate and judge.

If you have more than 2 tickets in the past 5 years, I dont rate your chances of walking away from it.

Now its time for the usual fuckwits and copsuckers to comment on how i'm just bitter because of my extensive poor driving record that they assume I have just because I know the MSP and judicial system is a giant con.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Lawyer up, fight and beat the ticket. It's worth it in the long run.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Always contest tickets.
    I've not had a ticket stick in 15 years now.
    Been pulled over at least 8 times, contested 8 times, won each time.
    There are lots of ways to win. Attorney almost guarantees it.
    For 85 in a 55, you NEED to fight and NEED to win.
    That ticket alone will cost you hundreds $$$ or even thousands in increased premiums in Cambridge over 7 years.

xxaarraa

Always fight tickets. Always.

In my line of work in Connecticut anyway, infraction docket is a pain in the ass to the state. The prosecutors hate doing them and usually throw them out or reduce the fine. In my court they can knock out 50 cases in 30 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Long story short: 85 in 55 on Mass Pike EB in Newton at ~1045pm on a Thursday. No alcohol, I was cordial with the Statie (whom was very much NOT nice in any way). As a soon-to-be-official Mass resident, who will likely experience insurance increase just by virtue of moving from the 'burbs to Cambridge, what is the likelihood of getting the ticket reduced or thrown out? I have no experience with MA traffic court or Staties.
    a. Car or motorcycle?

b. Was there any construction going on or lane restrictions in the area?

c. Was the trooper in a set spot or did he come up from behind you in traffic?

d. How much was the ticket for 30 over?

e. Are there any other citations beyond speeding?

f. What's your driving record/points prior to this?

g. Do NOT move to Cambridge and if you do, do not register or keep any vehicles there. You are permitted a single, vastly overpriced fixie on which you will ignore all the traffic laws motorists must obey.

addendum:

30 over should be a $300 ticket.

If it's only speeding it should be 2 points, here is how points affect premiums.

Worth contesting speeding ticket?-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 08-15-17 at 07:43 AM.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Yes worth fighting. Insurance premiums being the main reason, reduced/eliminated fine being the secondary.

Don't do 85 on the pike near Boston.........

Such a believer in fighting BS speeding tickets that we gave employees time off with pay to fight them.

You appear before a magistrate. If you have a clean record, they'll be more favorable towards dismissal. So definitely fight the first one.

Last time I got a ticket, my lawyer told me NOT to bring him, but to "wear a suit, be polite, and you'll probably get off." There's one Trooper there to handle all the cases, not the arresting officer, so he doesn't care. She looked at my record and dismissed it.

There was a twist in my 2007 ticket: it was the tunnel at the bottom of the Tobin bridge. Turned out the speed limit changes violated Federal sign standards, so everyone who appealed got off anyway. You never know unless you fight it. The pike is a mess right now.

Did he "discount" your speed to a lower number?

Last edited by Garandman; 08-15-17 at 08:03 AM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Always fight. $25 to appeal to magistrate who will reduce it most likely to 50% but won't dismiss.
    Then you gamble. $50 to appeal in front of judge. Who will most likely won't reduce it at all but if trooper doesn't show (State Cashiers I mean troopers do show all the time lately, very few exceptions) the whole thing gets dismissed.
    But as others said always fight.

Last edited by tsorfas; 08-15-17 at 08:49 AM.

damn billy.

Angry Re: Worth contesting speeding ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    a. Car or motorcycle?
    Truck

b. Was there any construction going on or lane restrictions in the area?
    Not technically. Entered 93 from 95S. Lanes are "rearranged" there, IMO, from when the tolls were taken down; but no active construction

c. Was the trooper in a set spot or did he come up from behind you in traffic?
    Ticket references "1-1.5 miles"; I wasn't even on the highway for >1 mile when he lit me up, so he had to have come up behind me in "traffic" (of which there was virtually none, since it was almost 11pm)

d. How much was the ticket for 30 over?
    $300

e. Are there any other citations beyond speeding?
    No

f. What's your driving record/points prior to this?
    Clean in MA

g. Do NOT move to Cambridge and if you do, do not register or keep any vehicles there. You are permitted a single, vastly overpriced fixie on which you will ignore all the traffic laws motorists must obey.
    Too late. Don't know how to get around not registering vehicles here; though I did consider it, a friend in insurance recently talked me out of it.

addendum:

30 over should be a $300 ticket.

If it's only speeding it should be 2 points, here is how points affect premiums.
    EACH POINT IS A 15% INCREASE?!?!?!?! Holy fucking shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    If you have a clean record, they'll be more favorable towards dismissal.
    Will the MA RMV give me their record of my CT license?

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Did he "discount" your speed to a lower number?
    No. Was actually the rudest cop I've ever dealt with, and specifically said that he wasn't giving me leniency.

Bill Cool --- LRRS/CCS EX #47 --- 2018 and 2019 LRRS Double Backup Champion GTL and ULSB, 2012 LRRS Champion AM Thunderbike --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Brunetto T-Shirts / GMD CompuTrack

Based on what information you provided, fighting this seems like a no lose situation. Be nice and unless you can contest the 85 with evidence, be aware that any break will be a victory. For better or worse, right or wrong, the staties are very touchy about speeds in the section of the Pike.

Best of luck

Fight it. I have one speeding ticket, going 12 over on the highway, two sleeping kids in the back coming home from their friend's bday party, the trooper nearly rammed into the guy behind me as he aggressively plowed through heavy traffic to single me out, meanwhile everyone else was going 15-20 over, didn't speak a word to me aside from taking my info and dishing out a ticket. Was so aggravated by it I never contested and just didn't want to think about it, will always regret that!

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

No. Was actually the rudest cop I've ever dealt with, and specifically said that he wasn't giving me leniency.

Welcome to the MSP, that's more typical than not. My last experience with one was a right on red "violation" in the middle of Boston of all things and I got read the riot act like no tomorrow.

The fact that you recently became a resident may help. Unless you're a prick, they probably have already decided what they're going to do by the time you show up in front of the magistrate. Just saying.

Last edited by e30addict; 08-16-17 at 12:56 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Will the MA RMV give me their record of my CT license?
    I don't think they have one. They have a record of your MA license. You can request what MA has on you currently online for $6 right now. Requesting a Copy of a Driving Record/History - RMV - MassDOT

nedirtriders.com

The Trooper did actually give you a break by only writing the fine. Anything >20mph over the posted speed limit is an arrestable offense in MA.

According to the Google MA does not belong to the group of states that shares driving records however my past history has shown that MA does know about infractions in other states and applies them to the SDIP rating.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    The Trooper did actually give you a break by only writing the fine. Anything >20mph over the posted speed limit is an arrestable offense in MA.

According to the Google MA does not belong to the group of states that shares driving records however my past history has shown that MA does know about infractions in other states and applies them to the SDIP rating.
    I know for sure that CT DMV knows about one's driving history in MA.

Lifer

Got a source on that? Because I don't think that's true in MA. I've heard it quite a few times, never seen it from an authoritative source. I dunno if it was once a law, or maybe it's a rule of thumb from an officer's guidebook?

Some states do have a margin like that, just not MA. Which is kinda weird, since it really should be a percentage of the posted sign, not an absolute increment. 20 over in a 65 is different than 20 over in a 15.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Got a source on that? Because I don't think that's true in MA.
    You may in fact be correct. I went looking and could not find anything.

I do know from personal experience that there were numerous times in my youth that I was pulled over for doing much more than 20 mph over the posted speed limit and the officer wrote me up for 20mph over and specifically told me that he did it so he would not have to arrest me and have my vehicle towed, impounded etc. Anecdotal yes, happened multiple times to me by different officers though.

I did see that reckless operation could come from excessive speeding but not too sure if they could/would arrest for reckless operation or not.

Not accurate. Techincially they can charge you with driving endanger which is an arrestable offense.
    Doing double the speed limit will get you a nice arrest.