Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is the Wrangler a convertible?

Re: Is the Wrangler a convertible?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Damn it, I knew this would happen if I bought a domestic car again... diff cover is leaking, left a stain on my driveway.
    bummer, hope it's an easy fix ... reminds me of the transfer case seal issue i kept having with my '04 Rubi, had to have it flat-bedded back to MA from lower CT one time. oil spray over ~3hr drive made a huge mess.

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    bummer, hope it's an easy fix ... reminds me of the transfer case seal issue i kept having with my '04 Rubi, had to have it flat-bedded back to MA from lower CT one time. oil spray over ~3hr drive made a huge mess.
    Fortunately it's on the RV and not the Jeep, and I'm pretty certain it's just age related as it's an 06 chassis. Pull the cover, clean things, check the diff vent to make sure it's working, goop on RTV and bolt it back together then add fresh oil, should be an easy job.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Fortunately it's on the RV and not the Jeep, and I'm pretty certain it's just age related as it's an 06 chassis. Pull the cover, clean things, check the diff vent to make sure it's working, goop on RTV and bolt it back together then add fresh oil, should be an easy job.
    hah! good deal, thought it was the Heep

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Lifer

Edmunds trade appraisal says itís convertible.
    Is the Wrangler a convertible?-77d2447d-f82e-471a-8c56-fc5a4b18e78a

1 Not allowed!

So... pulling 25mpg now, thinking I might be able to coax 26mpg out of it?

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Lifer

So... pulling 25mpg now, thinking I might be able to coax 26mpg out of it?
    3.6 or turbo

0 Not allowed!

The new Gladiators are sitting on lots. They look...awkward.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

2.0 Turbo, the 3.6L wasn't as entertaining to drive.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The new Gladiators are sitting on lots. They look...awkward.
    As a general rule of thumb, all Jeeps look awkward at factory ride height and tire size. Like the massive dude at the gym who always skips leg day. I think this is even more true with the JKU's and Gladiators.

Is the Wrangler a convertible?-maxresdefault-jpg

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

the single cab concept looked so much better.. .

2 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

The white lights on the flares over the front tires are not all that attractive and annoying to drive in front of.

The thing that makes the Gladiator unattractive is the price tag. So many people willing to overpay for Jeeps that keeps the market price high. A lot like Harley in that respect. Lifestyle vehicles vs. technology.

0 Not allowed!

Starts at $33,545... I just worked through the builder and came out at $39k and change with tow bits and a bunch of creature comforts added for lol's. I did the same with a Tacoma and got right into the same ballpark. That doesn't seem that bad.

The soft-top and manual transmission make this really appealing compared to the rest of the mini/mid-size market.

0 Not allowed!

Single cab trucks ALWAYS look shit tons better. I'm still adjusting to the 4 door jeeps. Just look wrong to my eye. That said, I don't think I would own a single cab truck.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Not disagreeing with the regular cab appearance comments

A friend and I had a conversation about this a couple of weeks ago.

Reg cab short bed look good lowered they look a little top heavy when lifted with larger wheel/tire package but still look good (think TV show The Fall Guy).

Crew cab normal/not long bed single rear wheel seem to look the best when lifted slightly on larger wheel/tire packages. Without the hips of the dually they don't look all that good lowered.

Crew cab normal/not long bed dually can go either way lifted slightly on larger wheel/tire package or lowered significantly

Crew cab long bed don't really look "right" lifted on larger wheel/tire package but look pretty sweet lowered significantly

Jeeps it took a little while but the four door styling has grown on me ( it also helps that I physically fit into them slightly better than the 2 door variants ) would still love to find an old CJ and make it a fun whip.

1 Not allowed!

Winter update -

Minor annoyances, UConnect refuses to remember nav voice volume settings, every restart it reverts back to too loud. Worse, nav alerts from CarPlay reset with EACH ALERT... Jeep, please! Wheel shake going over expansion joints on 295 south in Portland. Still tracks true, but if you're not prepared for it I could see someone panic correcting against the wheel shake and darting out of lane.

The above I just considered the car's character. Then winter arrived.

Major issue #1, the front window defroster does not actually defrost the whole windshield, just the middle. There are vents along 80% of it's width but air only comes out the middle third leaving the sides of the windshield building up ice in snow conditions. Worse, the passenger side wiper doesn't see heat so... pretend it doesn't exist. Doing some digging, this has been an issue since the prior JK generation. People are buying square plastic end cap plugs to fill up portions of the vent to force heat to the sides, or making custom metal plate covers to better control air flow... WTF Jeep?!

Major issue #2, this thing is useless in snow. Bear in mind my last vehicle for the last decade+ was my 2006 Highlander Hybrid AWD. Front wheel drive with a separate electric rear axle it could temporarily throw power to. With dedicated snows it'd either track like a mountain goat or traction control would say 'no' and you didn't proceed. I enjoyed winter driving with it. I'd happily let my wife drive it when conditions were bad for piece of mind. This thing... I've got studded LT3s on it, and unless you're talking bare ice where the studs can bite, it's a joke and will NOT find a bite if there is any snow or slush. If I don't remember to throw it in 4wd, often having to go as far as 4lo with lockers it won't make it up the same road that my wife's Nissan Versa Note traverses without issue. I'm placing a large chunk of blame on the 285s being too wide for the truck's weight, but it also makes no attempt at all to assist with TC, using brakes to counter open diffs, or anything. When TC does show up it's way late to the party. Net result, for 90% of winter conditions the Jeep is a joke. The few specific extreme scenarios where it works, it's amazing, but the rest of the time, I don't want to drive it and no way in hell will I let my wife. The final straw was after about 8 hours of drive time in the two storms we got hit with the past couple of days, being pissed the whole time I arrived home and went to pull in my driveway which had yet to be cleared. Stuck solid as soon as the front wheels got into snow. Couldn't coax it to so much as rock in 4Lo fully locked up. I haven't been stuck like that in 10 years, and that one time was before I bought dedicated snows for the HiHy.

Loved it, even with the minor quirks in spring, summer and fall, ready to eat penalties to bail on it now.

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Major issue #1, the front window defroster does not actually defrost the whole windshield, just the middle. There are vents along 80% of it's width but air only comes out the middle third leaving the sides of the windshield building up ice in snow conditions. Worse, the passenger side wiper doesn't see heat so... pretend it doesn't exist. .
    sounds a whole lot better than an old ac VW Beetle, the defroster only hit the corners..... if the heater boxes weren't seized and supplied heat to begin with

at least the seat is close enough to the windshield, you can roll the window down, and reach out and scrape ice off the windshield as you drove down the road

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Winter update -

Minor annoyances, UConnect refuses to remember nav voice volume settings, every restart it reverts back to too loud. Worse, nav alerts from CarPlay reset with EACH ALERT... Jeep, please! Wheel shake going over expansion joints on 295 south in Portland. Still tracks true, but if you're not prepared for it I could see someone panic correcting against the wheel shake and darting out of lane.

The above I just considered the car's character. Then winter arrived.

Major issue #1, the front window defroster does not actually defrost the whole windshield, just the middle. There are vents along 80% of it's width but air only comes out the middle third leaving the sides of the windshield building up ice in snow conditions. Worse, the passenger side wiper doesn't see heat so... pretend it doesn't exist. Doing some digging, this has been an issue since the prior JK generation. People are buying square plastic end cap plugs to fill up portions of the vent to force heat to the sides, or making custom metal plate covers to better control air flow... WTF Jeep?!

Major issue #2, this thing is useless in snow. Bear in mind my last vehicle for the last decade+ was my 2006 Highlander Hybrid AWD. Front wheel drive with a separate electric rear axle it could temporarily throw power to. With dedicated snows it'd either track like a mountain goat or traction control would say 'no' and you didn't proceed. I enjoyed winter driving with it. I'd happily let my wife drive it when conditions were bad for piece of mind. This thing... I've got studded LT3s on it, and unless you're talking bare ice where the studs can bite, it's a joke and will NOT find a bite if there is any snow or slush. If I don't remember to throw it in 4wd, often having to go as far as 4lo with lockers it won't make it up the same road that my wife's Nissan Versa Note traverses without issue. I'm placing a large chunk of blame on the 285s being too wide for the truck's weight, but it also makes no attempt at all to assist with TC, using brakes to counter open diffs, or anything. When TC does show up it's way late to the party. Net result, for 90% of winter conditions the Jeep is a joke. The few specific extreme scenarios where it works, it's amazing, but the rest of the time, I don't want to drive it and no way in hell will I let my wife. The final straw was after about 8 hours of drive time in the two storms we got hit with the past couple of days, being pissed the whole time I arrived home and went to pull in my driveway which had yet to be cleared. Stuck solid as soon as the front wheels got into snow. Couldn't coax it to so much as rock in 4Lo fully locked up. I haven't been stuck like that in 10 years, and that one time was before I bought dedicated snows for the HiHy.

Loved it, even with the minor quirks in spring, summer and fall, ready to eat penalties to bail on it now.
    I had a brand new 4dr Unlimited Sport for the past week as a loaner, v6 and 6 speed. Thought I might like to have one so priced one out...$60k plus!!

After living with that hunk of shit for a week I totally changed my mind, especially for the stupid money they want.

1 Not allowed!

285 is a really wide tire. I would expect it to float.
    What was the highlander on?

0 Not allowed!

sounds like the hihi is your version of the YZ

don't be a broken dirt 916...keep the heep

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    285 is a really wide tire. I would expect it to float.
    What was the highlander on?
    225s and that plus much more active TC made it's frowned upon by purists 'awd' much more effective than the Jeep's 'proper' 4wd.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

I ran 31x10.5’s (~265-ish) on my last Ranger and considered narrower.

I have no doubt that the highlander awd system is better for most of us.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 01-02-20 at 07:27 AM.

Winter update -

Major issue #2, this thing is useless in snow.
    Wow, that is surprising, especially since most Wrangler owners rave about how they do in snow/ice. My 2007 Grand Cherokee with A/T tires is amazing in the snow! Traction control only kicked on when I was a bit heavy on the throttle.

0 Not allowed!
    2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

I'm a bit surprised by this as well. Skinny tires will do better, but a Jeep even with fat tires shouldn't struggle. We just bought an AWD subaru and had the same experience... couldn't get in to our unplowed driveway when we got it home! hahaa. But it is an STI on what are basically trackday tires. We will be getting snows.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
    Wow, that is surprising, especially since most Wrangler owners rave about how they do in snow/ice.
    Oh, the Wrangler faithful have been raining on me since I voiced my opinion on the matter. I've very quickly noticed a trend however. Just about all the testimonials in support of the Jeep being a good snow vehicle follow a basic pattern - "Well, after I aired down to 18psi I was able to do XXX trail in the snow so clearly..." My follow up questions clarify things a bit more, did you drive there or do the trail WHILE it was snowing? "Well, no..." Abusing a stereotype a bit, would you have allowed your wife to drive to the trail if it was snowing? "No..." Thank you.

If you're willing to drive a certain way, yup you can take the Jeep places, but I'm not interested in hammering the Wrangler like a rented quad when commuting to work in a storm. That driving style doesn't mesh well with being on the road. I used to have to channel my inner Ken Block to get my 96 Dodge Dakota Sport around in the winter, that was a long time ago, I don't want to be forced back into that mode because a cloud coughed while it was below freezing any more.

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

If I don't remember to throw it in 4wd, often having to go as far as 4lo with lockers it won't make it up the same road that my wife's Nissan Versa Note traverses without issue.
    that's a bummer you're not happy with it but ^ this ^ seems crazy. how deep was the snow? 4LO needed for terrain a Versa Note can conquer

not to add salt but, to add salt ... i've been having a blast in the JK this winter, we've had some decent snowfall, zero issues bombing around (General MT). my TJ was also very good in winter, did a lot of commuting to Maine/Boston in shit weather in that thing, always performed awesome (BFG MT). the WJ was excellent as well (stock AT).

post ice storm ride from Monday, everything had a glass coating. so pretty.. .

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast