Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Xfinity and Wifi

Xfinity and Wifi

Before I waste time setting up a different WiFi router I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for some guidance. Started a separate thread so as not to muddy other conversations.

I have Xfinity and currently use the built in wifi that it outputs. Signal strength is fine from 2nd floor to basement. I keep my work PC, home PC and laser printer directly connected (CAT5) to the Xfinity box. Two tablets, two cell phones and a third work PC connect via WiFi. The Wifi speed is OK but nothing special, especially when the third PC starts doing Teams calls.

I have another WiFi router (Amped Wireless AC1750) sitting in an unopened box mocking me. Any thoughts on shutting off the Xfinity Wifi side and using the AC1750 router to do the Wifi? Similarly, any security issues I should consider using the Xfinity Wifi connection?

Trying to see is there a good reason to install this AC1750 router or just pass it along.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Xfinity and Wifi

If you have an up to date Comcast router, the wifi is fairly decent. Obviously if you have an older box, the wifi could potentially be a limiting factor.

The "AC" wifi spec requires your devices to support it as well otherwise there will be no speed improvement. Modern phones and laptops should all be coming standard with it although unless you by a performance model, you won't connect at 1750 speeds.

Regardless of what you do, your speed will be nothing special when doing team calls since the upstream cable modem speeds are terrible and capped around 12Mbit which even shitty wifi is faster than.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 09-29-20 at 07:03 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

And I never addressed your actual question. Give your Amped router a try. You can set it up and test it with a different SSID than your comcast box to see if you like it. If so, disable the radios on the comcast box and put it in bridge mode feeding your Amped router.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Will do. Thanks for the help!