Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Zero Turn Mower Advice

iTrader Score

Re: Zero Turn Mower Advice

Quote Originally Posted by guru_lou View Post
    I have had my JD ZTR 757 for over 12 years. It's a commercial mower with a 60" deck and a bagger system. I've been using it to mow a 5.5 acre back yard. It has a Kawasaki 25 hp 2 cyl engine that has been trouble free all this time. The machine has over 600 hrs on it. I'll admit that it's a bit over the top, but there were few options back when I bought it. Things you might want to consider is the layout of the blades in the mower deck. If there is a space between the blades , or even minimal overlap, you run into the issue of having a stripe going down the middle of the deck that requires a second pass to clean up. The other problem that you might run into is trying to mow the yard at a high ground speed. One person noted that his goes 7 mph, and my JD tops out at 10 mph, however, the faster you go, the less power the retreating blade has to cut the grass, so you've got one side of each blade cut down to, let's say 4" and the other side of that blade may look a bit ragged at that speed and may need you to slow down in order to get a clean cut. Like someone else stated, get the most that you can afford in the size you want. For a couple of acres, there isn't much difference between 42" and 48" models. EXMARK seems to be very well built, but I haven't tried one. JD models have yellow mower decks for their residential models and green mower decks for their commercial models. I have a very hilly backyard and can confirm that the mower will slide down on you if you are cutting laterally, especially if the grass is wet or damp. In my case, I have some 40 degree slopes that I need to cut, so I added some extra weights to the front, in addition to the weights added for a bagger system, in order to go straight up or down the hills.
    good info...thanks...i'm really between the Gravely ZT HD 48 and the Exmark Radius X 48 at the moment...i think a 48" deck is plenty for my yard and it will be small and nimble enough to get into some of the tight spaces in my yard with the bagger attached

Gravely ZT HD Lawn Mower | Zero Turn Mowers | Gravely

https://www.exmark.com/products/mowe...RAX651GKA484A3

0 Not allowed!
    bike: 10 Bonneville SE
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread
    "last night i told myself no but i knew i wanted it"
    -Ryan

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    thanks...are you sure you don't have that backwards?...or maybe it's cause it's a US engine?...every model i have looked at has the kawasaki as an upgrade from a kohler or a briggs engine
    Yeah. I talked with a couple places that sold Ferris mowers, and both would sell me the stander I was looking at with a Kawasaki engine for $300 less than the Vanguard. They both strongly suggested going with the Vanguard engine with the new oil guard system, and shit on Kawasaki engines in general. I was surprised by this, after buying two used Ferris mowers because they had Kawasaki engines. IDK, I didn't do much looking into it, but figure if two different dealers are saying the same thing, there would be a reason.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

here is what i whittled it down to...i'd like to go with a 48" deck...the gravely zt hd is the only one i'm not sure if they offer a powered bagger for...so at the moment the exmark is in the lead

Exmark Radius x 48 kawasaki engine + powered bagging system
    RAX651GKA484A3

Scag Patriot 52 kawasaki engine + powered bagging system
    SPZ52-22FX
    Scag Patriot Zero-Turn Rider - Scag Power Equipment

Gravely ZT HD 48 kawasaki engine + can't find any info about the powered bagging system

Gravely ZT X 52 kawasaki + powered bagging system
    Gravely ZT X Lawn Mower | Zero Turn Mowers | Gravely

Gravely ZT XL 52 kawasaki + powered bagging system
    Gravely ZT XL Lawn Mower | Zero Turn Mowers | Gravely

0 Not allowed!
    bike: 10 Bonneville SE
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread
    "last night i told myself no but i knew i wanted it"
    -Ryan

iTrader Score
    7 (100%)

i've decided to sell my Husky 48 w/Kawi motor, welded deck, power bagger system, etc ... if you're interested, i'll post full spec, hours, pics, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 250RR

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    here is what i whittled it down to...i'd like to go with a 48" deck...the gravely zt hd is the only one i'm not sure if they offer a powered bagger for...so at the moment the exmark is in the lead

Exmark Radius x 48 kawasaki engine + powered bagging system
    RAX651GKA484A3

Scag Patriot 52 kawasaki engine + powered bagging system
    SPZ52-22FX
    Scag Patriot Zero-Turn Rider - Scag Power Equipment

Gravely ZT HD 48 kawasaki engine + can't find any info about the powered bagging system

Gravely ZT X 52 kawasaki + powered bagging system
    Gravely ZT X Lawn Mower | Zero Turn Mowers | Gravely

Gravely ZT XL 52 kawasaki + powered bagging system
    Gravely ZT XL Lawn Mower | Zero Turn Mowers | Gravely
    From that list, buy the ExMark. The Scag is a mostly bolted together chassis, and unless you're very attentive, it's rattle apart. I used to be an ExMark and Gravely dealer, and the Gravely was not the machine that the ExMark was.

1 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12