Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Zero Turn Mower Advice

Re: Zero Turn Mower Advice

That's the same sweeper I have, it does a really good job. Obviously it can't reach all the way into tight corners or right up against a tree, but I just take my backpack blower and blast that suff out into the open for easy collection.

My maples and oaks have been holding on to their leaves as well, but the storm we had overnight on Friday shook them down to probably 90% bare at this point. I did a cleanup about a week ago and I'll do another this week. I'll probably need to do one more in late November to see it done for the year.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I tried my neighbor's sweeper awhile back and it would fill every 50'. We have about 7 old growth Maples which dump the foliage. The issue with the sweeper is it picks up whole leaves and they don't really compress.
    I picked up a powered vac for the ZT and it's been great. Mulches the leaves into itty bitty squares and makes the overall load very dense. I take my leaves to the dump so getting more in the truck the better. Last year I took 22 loads to the dump, this year I'm at 5 total and will probably do 2 more this coming weekend to finish up. If I could dump the leaves on property, the sweeper would have worked.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I tried my neighbor's sweeper awhile back and it would fill every 50'. We have about 7 old growth Maples which dump the foliage. The issue with the sweeper is it picks up whole leaves and they don't really compress.
    I picked up a powered vac for the ZT and it's been great. Mulches the leaves into itty bitty squares and makes the overall load very dense. I take my leaves to the dump so getting more in the truck the better. Last year I took 22 loads to the dump, this year I'm at 5 total and will probably do 2 more this coming weekend to finish up. If I could dump the leaves on property, the sweeper would have worked.
    Right on. When I did my initial clean-up, I mowed first to mulch and them made a second pass with the sweeper. It also helps to cut down on leaves you already collected flying out of the catch basket. Another handy feature is you can offset the tow point of the sweeper so it collects from the deck discharge rather than directly behind the tractor, which is great if your discharge doesn't blast trimmings 5-6 feet out like mine. I think next year I'm going to pick up a set of mulching blades and discharge block off plate which would eliminate the need for making a second pass to collect.

1 Not allowed!

i have a bagger mounted right now with regular blades...i'm probably going to drag the sweeper with the cutting deck running and when the bags fill i'll disengage the blades and fill the sweeper hopper and then empty...i'd rather not have to make 2 passes...i can dump on my property so that's not an issue...i may pick up a set of mulching blades once i get my lawn fixed and run a slice seeder over it...that way i can just pull the bags off and let the mulchings blow through the tube and drop in back where the bags would be as long as the grass isn't too long

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 11-12-18 at 01:34 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Can't help on the brands you mentioned but, we have Greenworks mower, trimmer, blower and hedge trimmer, all using the same batteries. Ending the 3rd year of use very soom. It snowed on/off today.
    Going electric battery was perfect for us. Our yard is a double lot intown, approx. 15k sq ft, that is probably 10K for mowing. It will usually take 1 and a part battery to mow as our lawn is thick and grows vigorously.
    We only have about a 5 month mowing season but living next to Lake Superior provides a moist air and generally moderate temps. Perfect for lawn growth. As someone up thread mentioned, the mower will sense the need for some extra juice and that effects the battery run time.
    Most people, even in the burbs, no longer will need to use gas with the improvements that have been made in recent years.
    You will quickly learn to appreciate the advantages of an electric mower.
    In addition, you may check this article, where Husqvarna and Ariens brands are mentioned and their models reviewed! I hope it helps!

1 Not allowed!
    I love my family!

Quick review on the new mower. I sold my Cub Cadet tractor with 50" deck; large lawn taking many passed to cut and the time it takes to get the tractor turned around was killing me. Death by 1,000 cuts.

I bought an Ariens Ikon X with a 23 HP Kawasaki and 52" fabricated deck from Mowers Direct. I included the mulching kit and tow hitch with my order. First, great service from Mower's Direct, I opted to have it delivered to work as it saved me $50 on delivery since we have loading docks and I'm here during the day, not at home. I installed my hitch and mulch kit this morning and got it home. First cut was this afternoon; it saved me over 45 minutes in cut time and because of the added maneuverability I was able to eliminate about half of the weed eating (30 minutes) I usually have to do. The machine is awesome. I like that the deck is offset to left side, it lets me get under my split rail fence except for a small patch around the posts. The cut quality is very high, definitely an upgrade over the stamped deck on the Cub I just sold.

Not an awful lot more to report on as I've only used it once.. I bought this one specifically because of the Kawi engine and the fabricated deck, it's an upgrade compared to other mowers around this price point.

Zero Turn Mower Advice-ariens1-jpg
    Zero Turn Mower Advice-ariens2-jpg

1 Not allowed!

I don't know much about those mowers but the Kawis are bulletproof. You find them or the Kohlers in all the commercial stuff.

0 Not allowed!

I have a Icon X with the Kohler which I picked up about a month ago. For the price I got it for its hard to beat.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I bought an Ariens Ikon X...
    Slight mower envy over here. I hate mowing. I have a free-me-down Craftsman brand riding mower/tractor with a 42" deck. It's not a complete piece; hydrostatic trans and a nice ~15HP Kohler thumper. When you posted up your f/s thread I googled that Ariens. Nice, damned nice. One part that really got my attention was the ground speed spec. IIRC it was like 7 MPH or something where as your old tractor was like 5. I don't know what the mowing ground speed on mine is but it can't possibly be faster than 5 MPH. And that's what kills me; the grind just running each lap. >9 years here and I just about have the ritual down to minimize the 48284 point turns. The ease of the hydrostatic helps too. But damn is it slow!

I used a 22" self propelled walk behind instead for a while and the 42" deck on the ride-on saves about 30-40% of the time vs the ease of turning the walk behind. A zero-turn must be best of both.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Slight mower envy over here. I hate mowing.
    The ground speed is definitely better, although the Cub wasn't half bad in that category. I'm saving a huge amount of time in turning around at the end of a pass. I calculated that I was spending around 50 minutes of my total cut time doing a 3 pt turn previously based on time to turn X number of passes X 2. The zero turn is amazingly fast, not to mention easy. The Cub has a steering wheel + no power steering so it took a lot of effort to go full lock one way, then full lock the other, then return to center. With the joy sticks on the zero turn its effortless.

This is all about having the right tool for the job. I have a lot of grass to mow, so I need a mower. If it were significantly less...an acre or less...I would have stuck with the Cub. We also do quite a bit of gardening, the scope of which is ever expanding. I think next year I'm going to be looking for a small tractor with a FEL and 3 pt hitch with rear PTO. The older Case 44x tractors are high on my list, can get into a nice one with some attachments for $3-5k. I would like a compact tractor with backhoe, but I think at that price I will just rent a mini excavator when the projects require a lot of digging. The FEL I would use quite a lot.

0 Not allowed!

Did you ever consider just making offset loops as tight as the steering lock on the mower? My wife's house has a lot of yard to mow and that strategy worked well such that the turning wasn't as much of an issue. Fortunately I don't mow that anymore.

My lawn is just big enough where the rider is arguably not needed. Were I doing it all over again I'd probably get a large, dual blade walk behind. Zero turn and moderately wide swath. My father bought such a unit and it is nice. I could use the exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I think next year I'm going to be looking for a small tractor with a FEL and 3 pt hitch with rear PTO. The older Case 44x tractors are high on my list, can get into a nice one with some attachments for $3-5k.
    Can you skid logs with one of those? If so, I could use the shit out of one of those as well.

Actually, I'm sure you can. My father skids with an older Cub tractor that I think is about that size. Before that he had a $100 yard-sale special mower tractor that he just removed the mower deck from. It worked shockingly well. He had a 4'x4' trailer attached to it for brining cut wood out of the woods as well. I'm always surprised at how much such a small machine could do. He bought the larger tractor because it was on CL and it caught his eye. .. I should ask him more about it.

I think you are on the right page re: renting the excavator as needed.

0 Not allowed!

I’m sorry I don’t think understood you, were you suggesting that I not cut my lawn in straight lines?

0 Not allowed!

I dunno. Whatever keeps this guy happy.

Zero Turn Mower Advice-3b9-jpg

I had a point. I'm not explaining it well and it could not matter less.

0 Not allowed!

I think I get the point its just my New Balances loudly disagreed with not doing straight lines.

0 Not allowed!

My real benefit is the zero turn control of the cut grass as a nice even layer. Old tractor types always generated clumps.

I think he means cutting with the tractor in a continuous loop spiraling inward so no turn arounds

I would NEVER own anything but a zero turn

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123