Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

1986 GSX-R750

1986 GSX-R750

So here is the deal....

Picked up the bike about 6 months ago. My plan was to strip it down and do the old girl right. Bring her back to stock to match my 86' 1100 oilier.

Long story short, I have too many projects going on to dig in to this one, and frankly there are better candidates out there to restore to stock.

I have a title, and it is a 1986 750. The person that had it put a second generation front end on. I have the stock front end, forks, tripples, stock exhaust and front and rear wheels.

The only plastic I have is what shown on the bike.

It ran when I picked it up, transmission and engine sounded good but it did not idle very good. The previous owner put a V&H exhaust on and pulled the air box out. Hack job

It would make a fun project for someone that's handy with wrenching and willing to put in the time and energy. It would be a good candidate for a street fighter, but not to restore.

I want $750.00 for the bike, and I'm firm. If you interested, email me at bigdraggo@yahoo.com

Like I said the bike ran 6 months ago, but it's been outside under a tarp all winter. If anyone is interested, you can spend as much time looking at it as you would like. If you decide it's not for you, no problem here.

I have a trailer if anyone needs to use it to bring it home.

Pete

Pics to follow shortly

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yellow light, green light, heart stands still...

Re: 1986 GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Big Draggo View Post
    So here is the deal....

Picked up the bike about 6 months ago. My plan was to strip it down and do the old girl right. Bring her back to stock to match my 86' 1100 oilier.

Long story short, I have too many projects going on to dig in to this one, and frankly there are better candidates out there to restore to stock.

I have a title, and it is a 1986 750. The person that had it put a second generation front end on. I have the stock front end, forks, tripples, stock exhaust and front and rear wheels.

The only plastic I have is what shown on the bike.

It ran when I picked it up, transmission and engine sounded good but it did not idle very good. The previous owner put a V&H exhaust on and pulled the air box out. Hack job

It would make a fun project for someone that's handy with wrenching and willing to put in the time and energy. It would be a good candidate for a street fighter, but not to restore.

I want $750.00 for the bike, and I'm firm. If you interested, email me at bigdraggo@yahoo.com

Like I said the bike ran 6 months ago, but it's been outside under a tarp all winter. If anyone is interested, you can spend as much time looking at it as you would like. If you decide it's not for you, no problem here.

I have a trailer if anyone needs to use it to bring it home.

Pete

Pics to follow shortly

I had one of these and loved it. Wish I could still have it. So with the later model front end I am guessing the front is a 17" rim and not the stock 18"? And if the front is a 17" is the rear a 17" as well?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I had one of these and loved it. Wish I could still have it. So with the later model front end I am guessing the front is a 17" rim and not the stock 18"? And if the front is a 17" is the rear a 17" as well?
    10-4

wow. would make a nice fighter.

glws!!

It wouldn't make a bad trackday bike if it has 17s on it either. Surely some of you have noticed the fun I have with mine out there. That front end is from an 1100 not a 750. The 750's lower triple clamps were a single bolt type, and those lower tubes have the electric anti-dive that didn't come on the 750,,,, unless it was from an "LTD". If the front wheel is a 2.75", not a 2.5", it is from a 1100. Also, I'm pretty sure both the 86 750 and 1100 had 15mm dia. front axles. The 87s had 17mm. Just a little FYI for those who might like some vintage info.

Not to thread jack but looking at those pics makes me miss my 94 GSXR 1100 back in the day, and also it's amazing how far sportbikes have come in 20 years

CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    It wouldn't make a bad trackday bike if it has 17s on it either. Surely some of you have noticed the fun I have with mine out there. That front end is from an 1100 not a 750. The 750's lower triple clamps were a single bolt type, and those lower tubes have the electric anti-dive that didn't come on the 750,,,, unless it was from an "LTD". If the front wheel is a 2.75", not a 2.5", it is from a 1100. Also, I'm pretty sure both the 86 750 and 1100 had 15mm dia. front axles. The 87s had 17mm. Just a little FYI for those who might like some vintage info.

Correct 1100's had two pinch bolts on the lower tripple, and yes 15mm axles on both the 750-1100 until 87' when they went to 17mm.

However the anti dive was on the 750 from the inception in 85', not just the limited and 1100's.

Sounds like you know you know you old oilers. I've owned and raced my fair share. I bought a new 750ltd in 86', wish I still had it. I have a friend in Worcester that owns two of them, one with less the 2000 miles.

I'm an original owner of an 86 750, that I'm just plain too stupid to get rid of. No real knowledge here, just stuff that I've collected like dust over the years, in what passes for my brain.
    The anti-dive on the 1100 and 750 LTD were activated electrically by the front brake switch. The regular 750 had a simple mechanical deal that was adjustable, but it it wasn't connected to the front brake, so it wasn't as good a unit as the other two.
    If you keep an eye open at some trackdays, you might see an old blue/white 86 that looks like it has been rode hard and put away wet{and loved it}, it's probably me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    I'm an original owner of an 86 750, that I'm just plain too stupid to get rid of. No real knowledge here, just stuff that I've collected like dust over the years, in what passes for my brain.
    The anti-dive on the 1100 and 750 LTD were activated electrically by the front brake switch. The regular 750 had a simple mechanical deal that was adjustable, but it it wasn't connected to the front brake, so it wasn't as good a unit as the other two.
    If you keep an eye open at some trackdays, you might see an old blue/white 86 that looks like it has been rode hard and put away wet{and loved it}, it's probably me.
    I can attest to getting passed by you on that beast.