Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

1997 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti EFI - Some assembly required.. read on - Photos etc...

>>> SOLD <<< 1997 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti EFI - Some assembly required..

Long story and not worth telling here however, the Guzzi is still available after a false alarm...!

Thinking about selling the 1997 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti EFI - Some assembly required...

1997 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti EFI...

The '97 Sporti is the final iteration of the Spine Framed Sport 1100 series before going to the V11 Sport series. The Fuel Injection, 41MM USD fork, rear wheel size and other small improvements set it apart from the first two years (three in Europe).

The last time I rode the '97 Sporti I was aware that the clutch rod had worn to the point of constant engagement, not a terribly common situation however, some have experienced the worn rod tip syndrome. Much like the valve tips of the same vintage, I had read and heard that some of these were not properly case hardened and the valve clearances would close up, I did not experience that phenomenon however, I did fall victim to the worn clutch rod so not having the time to mess with the repair at the time... the Sporti was put up.

About seven years ago I put the Sporti up in long term storage, sprayed the engine bores and changed to lay-up oil, overfilled the gearbox and final drive to mitigate moisture intrusion, removed the exhaust and plugged the ports etc...

I am now toying with the idea of letting her go. As much as I love to look at the Sporti, I can no longer ride with my butt above my elbows.

The back story:

I bought the Sporti in the Fall of 2000 from the second owner, the first being his brother. The original owner had purchased the '97 1100 in the San Francisco, California area from the Moto Italiano Dealer, now closed. The second owner rode it to Maine where I purchased the Guzzi.

The detailed front fairing modifications which incorporated the original wind screen had been carried out by a notable F-1 race car body guy out on the West Coast to go along with the triple tree mounted bars and Centaruo controls which gave the Sporti a more Sport/Touring riding position over the original pure Sport ride with clip ons.

To further convert the Sporti to a the S/T rig, Givi sides cases and racks were added. To accomplish this, the exhaust was lowered to suit and a piece known as the Lip-Section rear fairing that has slimmer rear "Hips" to allow room for the Givi case racks. I rode the 1100 like that for a couple of seasons, Will Creedon chip, PC III with a custom map, K & N individual air filters, all that go-fast stuff.

Well, owning a 2000 V11 Bassa equipped with H & B side cases and all that for touring I had no need for the touring accouterments that that were on the Sporti so I started to put it back to the stock configuration.

Purchasing the stock fairing and rear tail fairing from a '96 Sport 1100 in Black I set the fairings aside and stored the Sporti for a few years. The modified fairing, rear section and Givi cases have gone to another Sporti owner.

I also had the exhaust returned to the stock level as up-swept At the time I was travelling for work a great deal and decided to put the Sporti up for a bit.

As time has gone on I find that, as much as I love the look of the 1100, I will probably never ride it again.

The body parts, the tank and front fender are in both Red, the Front Fairing and Rear Tail piece are in Black. The plan all along has been to paint them all Red, just because although the Black looks pretty nice.

I also have purchased a new rear inner fender, the original having been trimmer short for some reason.
    The stock air box and intake runners are included with the Sporti.
    Not wanting to go with the top-mounted bars I bought a set of stock clip-ons and gave that a second thought then purchased a set of Verlicchi multi-adjustable clip-ons. Beautiful aluminum clamps with mid-rise bars to suit any angle, for any rider. Cool bars, no longer available in this size.
    I have replaced the headlight frame/bracket that had been modified to use with the modified, sectioned front fairing.

So I have purchased the clutch rod and conical seals which will need to be installed and the Sporti is For Sale with the paint being the responsibility of the new owner also.

This will keep to price down and the new owner can paint the Guzzi anything that they like.

Marchesini Wheels are in excellent condition,
    The body work is all good,
    Engine is a great runner, strong as a freight train, 14K miles
    Gear box is fine,
    Final Drive is good,
    41 MM USD Marzocchi fork is perfect,
    WP Mono Shock,
    320 MM front Brembo brakes, four piston calipers
    283 MM rear rotor and dual piston caliper
    Manual fuel tap
    Stock mirrors

I have all new transfers for the tank, front fairing and tail piece. The tail piece decals were ordered from Italy as they are no longer available in the US.

Paint and some assembly required. I am sure that I have forgotten some details, questions gladly answered...

$2500.00

Rob Dentico - Maine
    207-35 zero - 0 three 86 call or text ~ Anytime
    radmg < at > myfairpoint < dot > net

As I found the '97 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti in 2000

The way it should look... and can very easily.

I put the mismatched body work on it to inventory all the fasteners and all that....

Up on two wheels...

And while I was at it, fitted up the fuel lines, stuck a battery in it and touched her off...

Have a listen here:

1100 Sporti wakes up - YouTube

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by RadHawk; 08-30-16 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Sold
    AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

2013 FLHTC, 2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio and a Bunch of other Guzzis, '85 RZ 350 KR, '88 Hawk GT, '74 Dalesman Trails, '72 Triumph T 100 R Daytona.. etc...

Re: 1997 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti EFI - Some assembly required.. read on - Photos etc..

Long story and not worth the time to tell here but the Sporti is still available.

Thanks,
    Rob

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

2013 FLHTC, 2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio and a Bunch of other Guzzis, '85 RZ 350 KR, '88 Hawk GT, '74 Dalesman Trails, '72 Triumph T 100 R Daytona.. etc...

Re: 1997 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti EFI - Some assembly required.. read on - Photos etc..

The Sporti has gone to a great new home...

Ciao,
    Rob

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC