Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition - $7900

2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition - $7900

2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition

Mike: 508-922-0615

I have a track inspired Red Bull Replica Ducati for sale with 8,200 original miles. The last service included rocker arm inspection and valve adjustment, timing belt, dyno tune and overall maintenance performed by Seacoast Ducati out of NH (Previous BCM Tech.) The bike has alot of upgrades that are very expensive that you will not see on the other bikes of this vintage. A few item to list would be the Trans Logic race dash to eliminate the old analog gauges, original Ducati Carbon Fiber Air box, quick change sprocket carrier and lighter chain, Termignoni 50mm exhaust with Factory Ducati Chip for larger exhaust and tuned by BCM (This setup alone used is $2,500 if you can find it - N/A from Ducati), modified air cleaner, Heli Bars, New tires, racing pads, HID headlight, LED tailights, Ohlins rear shock and steering damper, suede seat, new dunlop tires and the list goes on.....

The bike replica was a copy of the successful Ducati Red bull Racing team, few pictures attached for reference.

2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition - 00-img_3287-jpg2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition - 00-img_3293-jpg2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition - 00-img_3274-jpg2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition - 00-img_3285-jpg2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition - 00-img_3213-jpg2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition - 00-img_3029-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 2001 Ducati 996 - 8,200 Miles Red Bull Edition - $7900

bump, no one interested at all?

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I wish it wasn't so, but 996's aren't really commanding much in the market these days. I sold my last one equipped with many race-inspired goodies (mag wheels, ohlins, braketech rotors, etc.) and a brand new built and blueprinted engine from Kyle at BCM/Seacoast for right around $6k, FWIW and was happy to get it.

That said she wasn't nearly as purdy as yours! GLWS.

CCS/LRRS #83

The other thing is the Red Bull color scheme. I think most guys would want a red bike, or maybe a yellow bike, but not something other than that.

The other thing you could try is putting it back to stock, drop the price of the stock bike, and sell off the aftermarket stuff for $$$.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    I wish it wasn't so, but 996's aren't really commanding much in the market these days. I sold my last one equipped with many race-inspired goodies (mag wheels, ohlins, braketech rotors, etc.) and a brand new built and blueprinted engine from Kyle at BCM/Seacoast for right around $6k, FWIW and was happy to get it.

This.

2001 was 16 years ago.

I sold a 2012 848 Corse with all kinds of extras on it for $7500.

You can get much newer Ducatis for near what you are asking.

Close your ears Number 9 and all other older Ducati fans - unless it's a real special / real rare piece (The 'Rs' or even the earlier 'SPs'), newer Ducatis are all much better bikes than older Ducatis. Much better.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 10-31-17 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    newer Ducatis are all much better bikes than older Ducatis. Much better.
    A 996 (unless it's very, verrrry breathed on) is about dead nuts on par down the back straight at Road Atlanta as... any later gen R6.

Pretty ridiculous. Hell the 848 has more power / weight than the 999. Fak me, I'm an enthusiast but it's a hard sell these days.

Back to the OP though, 916's (early years) are picking up, and 998's still command a decent premium. 996's it seems just don't pull much these days.

CCS/LRRS #83

This.

2001 was 16 years ago.

I sold a 2012 848 Corse with all kinds of extras on it for $7500.

You can get much newer Ducatis for near what you are asking.
    Oh, for sure. Those intermediate bikes are great value. You can get 848s for in the $6000s now, according to Craigslist.

Close your ears Number 9 and all other older Ducati fans - unless it's a real special / real rare piece (The 'Rs' or even the earlier 'SPs'), newer Ducatis are all much better bikes than older Ducatis. Much better.
    I have no doubt that the newer bikes are better, believe me. But "better" does not necessarily equal "is worth more".

Again, don't get me wrong, a 916 will get mauled by 749 and that would get mauled again by an 848. The newer bikes are just so, so much better. But they sold more of them, they introduced new models more quickly, and the newer bikes are worth less (relatively speaking) than the old ones.

A 996 (unless it's very, verrrry breathed on) is about dead nuts on par down the back straight at Road Atlanta as... any later gen R6.

Pretty ridiculous. Hell the 848 has more power / weight than the 999. Fak me, I'm an enthusiast but it's a hard sell these days.

Back to the OP though, 916's (early years) are picking up, and 998's still command a decent premium. 996's it seems just don't pull much these days.
    This.

Last edited by number9; 10-31-17 at 06:19 PM.
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I Believe what you are doing to this guys for sale thread is inappropriate at best . Please take your opinions about what you view as a bike worth to another category.
    And let the guy try to sell his bike.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    I Believe what you are doing to this guys for sale thread is inappropriate at best . Please take your opinions about what you view as a bike worth to another category.
    He asked why no offers here, and was given answers.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    He asked, he got reasonable answers...

Plus, this is NESR. Nothing ever sells here. If that thing was $1500, and included a mute, underage asian maid with huge tits and no gag reflex, it still wouldn't sell on NESR.

(no offense to the OP's motorcycle)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've been interested, and I believe this is the bike I saw at Tamworth as well. Love the racing paint scheme. I should have made an offer.

Unfortunately I may end up having to sell most of my bikes so I can't currently make an offer

Hey guys, I agree in some sense but I have had other Ducatis and I don't think the other bikes ever really feel like a 996 or a 998? I could see a newer 848 or something else would be better as a track bike. In reality for the street you don't need anything more then a 996 and nothing has the nostalgia or the precedence of this body style. Its not like I need to sell it and some things do sell on here. I got one of Woods old race bikes off of here.

I am totally aware that the introduction of the 1098 dropped the value of Ducati's all together, although these bikes will come back in value at some point. I also have the entire stock Yellow bike setup if that's what everyone is looking for. I also have another full Redbull track set.

Thank you

I understand, this isn't necessarily a track bike to my opinion.....Its too nice. The last service Kyle from BCM had the engine apart and did the valves, changed a few flaking rockers and tuned it for me. Thanks for the feedback.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Mchristiansen View Post
    ... I don't think the other bikes ever really feel like a 996 or a 998?
    I have heard this a lot from older Ducati fans. A friend of mine who has 7 or 8 pre-1098 Ducatis (he has every 'R' or 'SP' of every generation) says the same thing.

As a modernist and someone much younger than the older Ducati fans, I always chalked the sentiment down to pure nostalgia. There are also a ton of 2 stroke fans, and a ton of old VW Beetle fans, a ton of old muscle car fans - none of that changes the fact that those vehicles are pretty sub-par by modern standards. The older body style was great in 1996, but just always looked dated to me, as a millennial. If yours was an 'R' it would be different, but a run-of-the-mill 996 isn't special enough on any measure to command a better price than a much more modern Ducati.

Don't mean to pollute your thread with un-solicited comments, just offering since you asked. GLWS and ride safe.

I have heard this a lot from older Ducati fans. A friend of mine who has 7 or 8 pre-1098 Ducatis (he has every 'R' or 'SP' of every generation) says the same thing.

As a modernist and someone much younger than the older Ducati fans, I always chalked the sentiment down to pure nostalgia.
    After riding older Ducs and then jumping on modern ones, I keep coming back to my test ride of the new baby Multi - It's a nice bike, but it didn't feel like a Ducati to me. The older generation machines were less refined, and didn't have all the rough edges engineered away. You felt some vibes, controls slid and clicked, every input resulted in immediate tactile feedback. The result was you felt very connected to the bike as it talked to you constantly, everywhere. The new machines are too refined, so things move too smoothly, you don't get that little tactile 'noise' in the motion. Overdamped is the best way I can describe it, everything on the new bikes feels overdamped compared to the old machines. Absolutely the specs can't be compared, the new machines lay waste to the old bikes, power, braking, handling, no question. But I still enjoy the feel of the older machines over new, and if I'm not racing the performance differences don't matter as much. Longer service intervals, fewer random failures, but again if I'm riding to RIDE I'll put up with more if I enjoy what's happening when the bike is working.

Edit - I need to get you some seat time on some older iron so you can have a reference point to compare against your modern luxo-sofas.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    After riding older Ducs and then jumping on modern ones, I keep coming back to my test ride of the new baby Multi - It's a nice bike, but it didn't feel like a Ducati to me. The older generation machines were less refined, and didn't have all the rough edges engineered away. You felt some vibes, controls slid and clicked, every input resulted in immediate tactile feedback. The result was you felt very connected to the bike as it talked to you constantly, everywhere. The new machines are too refined, so things move too smoothly, you don't get that little tactile 'noise' in the motion.
    Romanticizing less refined engineering is also an old timer pursuit Me, I like traction control, I like precision, I like wheelie control, I like launch control. Better performance is beautiful, not some artificial notion of human control. I always find it amusing when guys rail against things like traction control, but would have no qualms spending thousands on better suspension or better brakes or better tires.

EDIT: OK, maybe I am speaking entirely from a track-only rider's perspective. I suppose if I still did leisure riding on the street or whatnot, I may appreciate some of the rough edges like you mention. But then again, I look at my interest in cars that are street only, and I say the same exact thing. I vote for better engineering over 'quirks'

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon
    ...so you can have a reference point to compare against your modern luxo-sofas.
    What?!?! An RSV4 or R1 (or 848 before that) counts as a sofa?!?! The 848 for one was a very uncomfortable bike to ride!

Last edited by xxaarraa; 11-02-17 at 01:49 PM.

Romanticizing less refined engineering is also an old timer pursuit
    Less refined isn't the right way to describe it. There is a line between shit tolerances and design, good feedback and overdamped/overrefined. In the past Ducati was really good at hitting the spot in that continuum that resulted in exciting to ride machines, most of the time. They had some failures as well. The new machines are absolutely targeting a different spot on that continuum... it's almost as if the targeted generation doesn't want to experience the ride, they just want to post on social media that they went on the ride while letting the bike hold their hand the whole time?

As to the traction control argument, it depends on my goals. If my goal is to go out and thrash a bike, laying 'darkies' and sliding the bike around like a hooligan, TC absolutely detracts from that experience. If my goal is to get from point A to point B with minimal drama, TC it up baby! My daily driver is packing as much nannies as you could get from Toyota in 2006, and I can't turn them off. 95% of the time, normal boring going from place to place driving, I'm happy with them. When I get a hair across my arse and want to have a little play time... I get royally pissed at my truck telling me 'no.' If it feels like I plopped a couple quarters in to 'drive' an arcade machine, meh. If I am working the steering wheel while trying to keep the rear tires in the sweet spot of slip for the desired amount of oversteer by reading the subtle shudders and accelerations coming up through the frame into the seat, you can bet there will be a big grin on my face.

It's now decided, I need to get you on a proper vintage roach for endurance racing next year. Slow AND STILL VIOLENT at the same time, it'll be eye popping fun.

Ducati use to be run by engineering and not cost, anything prior to the 1098 I would consider to be in this production cloud. If you look at Porsche as a reference I would consider the 916/996/998 to be the air-cooled version of the 911. I would say at one point they were dirt cheap when the water cooled versions were making bigger HP. In todays market the air-cooled Porsches are worth more then what they MSRP for in originally. I think any 996 or 998 will be worth alot more in the years to come, they don't have to be Rs or Ss to be value able. They need to be clean and well sorted with maintenance records.

If you want to go faster every year they are going to make a better technological machine at less weight and more HP, doesn't mean the old stuff is junk. Every V-twin in reality is slow compared to the new V-4s coming out.

Banned

Romanticizing less refined engineering is also an old timer pursuit Me, I like traction control, I like precision, I like wheelie control, I like launch control. Better performance is beautiful, not some artificial notion of human control. I always find it amusing when guys rail against things like traction control, but would have no qualms spending thousands on better suspension or better brakes or better tires.

EDIT: OK, maybe I am speaking entirely from a track-only rider's perspective. I suppose if I still did leisure riding on the street or whatnot, I may appreciate some of the rough edges like you mention. But then again, I look at my interest in cars that are street only, and I say the same exact thing. I vote for better engineering over 'quirks'

What?!?! An RSV4 or R1 (or 848 before that) counts as a sofa?!?! The 848 for one was a very uncomfortable bike to ride!

Ok, who made off with Ashwin's soul???

Seriously, I see your point, Ashwin. I'm one of those old timers who think the 848/1098 was the end of an era for Ducati. I had a 999 and now I have a 749. They are by far my favorite design Ducati (excepting maybe the 888 and of course the Supermono). Are the newer bikes faster? Yep, more reliable? Probably, "better" engineered? probably. But they weren't built by a guy named Mario who has gone to bed with oily fingernails and metal splintershis whole career. They don't each have a very definable character (Ride 2 different same-spec 888's back to back and you'll feel like you did the dirty with cousins, not sisters).

When it comes to electronic aids and comparing them to tires/wheels/brakes/suspension upgrades, I think you're on the wrong track. Suspension, tires and brakes help the rider feel whats happening and respond to those inputs with their own reactions. Electronics lets you ignore those inputs as the bike will try to make sure you don't pay for your lack of care. is the final result better? Yes, if faster laps is your goal. I'm an old guy. I like the final goal to be driving home from a trackday with an intact bike and faster laps as the day goes on, knowing that I did it all myself.

my favorite toy is my Honda RS125. That doesn't even have a battery to run any electronics. Its just me, premix, a powerplant and a chassis.....and a great big bag of self-satisfaction when I'm done riding.

Last edited by Degsy; 11-10-17 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Ok, who made off with Ashwin's soul???

Seriously, I see your point, Ashwin. I'm one of those old timers who think the 848/1098 was the end of an era for Ducati. I had a 999 and now I have a 749. They are by far my favorite design Ducati (excepting maybe the 888 and of course the Supermono). Are the newer bikes faster? Yep, more reliable? Probably, "better" engineered? probably. But they weren't built by a guy named Mario who has gone to bed with oily fingernails and metal splintershis whole career. They don't each have a very definable character (Ride 2 different same-spec 888's back to back and you'll feel like you did the dirty with cousins, not sisters).

When it comes to electronic aids and comparing them to tires/wheels/brakes/suspension upgrades, I think you're on the wrong track. Suspension, tires and brakes help the rider feel whats happening and respond to those inputs with their own reactions. Electronics lets you ignore those inputs as the bike will try to make sure you don't pay for your lack of care. is the final result better? Yes, if faster laps is your goal. I'm an old guy. I like the final goal to be driving home from a trackday with an intact bike and faster laps as the day goes on, knowing that I did it all myself.

my favorite toy is my Honda RS125. That doesn't even have a battery to run any electronics. Its just me, premix, a powerplant and a chassis.....and a great big bag of self-satisfaction when I'm done riding.

how the fuck do you fit on that thing?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

He's but a wee little leprechaun!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    how the fuck do you fit on that thing?
    If Ricky fits on one, then by standard measurement of volume, you should easily be able to fit 2+ Degsys on one.