Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

[WANTED] Metal Work

Lifer

[WANTED] Metal Work

Hey,

I need someone with access to a machine to cut a license plate bracket out of sheet metal for me. I have the design in AutoCAD. The file can be found HERE.

Make sure it is to the correct scale - the lower left hole should have a radius of 3.5mm or 0.1378"

If anyone can do this for me, preferably for free, it would be so appreciated and would help make my undertail legal again.

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: [WANTED] Metal Work

I have a plasma cutter and a belt sander~~~~ also angle grinders / sawsalls, and buzz saws...
    I'm good with metal working
    Send me a PM... It won't be auto cad, but i can cut real good.
    Send me a pic of it without autocad?

I was able to open it up in my mastercam. I dont have A/C on my computer right now. But the scale seems huge! The big center hole is like 24.0" in Diameter. Who drew this up for you.? If I wasn't laid off from my job, I could have programmed this and lasered it out for you. that is the best way to make this piece. sorry I cant be of more help....

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

here is what the part looks like, nice design BTW

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
    here is what the part looks like, nice design BTW
    Is that scale? As I stated before the left hole should have a radius of 3.5mm or 0.1378". If not, could you open it up, scale it properly, and save it as a high quality .png? The picture now looks jagged..

I was able to open it up in my mastercam. I dont have A/C on my computer right now. But the scale seems huge! The big center hole is like 24.0" in Diameter. Who drew this up for you.? If I wasn't laid off from my job, I could have programmed this and lasered it out for you. that is the best way to make this piece. sorry I cant be of more help....
    A friend of mine did. Apparently when you open it in AutoCAD the scale is correct. As long as the left hole diameter matches up the rest will follow. That sucks about your job on a personal level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit12k View Post
    I have a plasma cutter and a belt sander~~~~ also angle grinders / sawsalls, and buzz saws...
    I will see if brendan gets back to be with a better picture (or if that one is to scale. Once the bracket is cut it needs to be bent. I will grab a picture.

Width is up for grabs. I am going to go measure the stock fe.

Dont worry about what my little pic looks like. That is just a graphic thingy. Your geometry is very clean. However, I still get the part as being very large in size. The left hole next to the biggest hole is 406.4mm

that is huge! But, I'm not sure if it is cause importing the .dwg into mastercam is making the scale change. I've never had a prob. before.
    I do have a friend that may be able to laser it out for you. not sure if he would do it for free. He is not supposed to do his own projects in work. He may be able to do it at his old work tho. but def. laser or waterjet is the way to go.
    you only want .062 thk alum or s.s. .090 will be a pain in the ass to bend. and heavier.

What is sad is it only takes about 2-3 minutes to make this on the laser

Last edited by brendanp; 07-08-09 at 09:35 AM.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

I can't help make it, but possibly with the print issues?

When opened in AutoCAD the file size is dead on. I don't know about exporting to an image and keeping the scale accurate, but I did create a PDF from the DWG, and for good measure included scales on the page, both 1" & 20mm, so anyone printing the PDF can be sure they've got it to scale without having to measure a 3.5mm hole.

If the PDF I created is printed with the page scaling in Adobe Reader set to "none" it will produce an accurate replica. You're going to need a printer that accepts very small margins though, as the bracket uses 10.35xxx of the 11" wide page. My printer at work did it no problem, but I know the one at home wouldn't fit it as it needs something silly like 1/2" per side margins.

I can email the pdf to whoever, but don't have the means to host it ATM. Anything else I can do to help on the AutoCAD end let me know. BTW, cool design.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    I can't help make it, but possibly with the print issues?

When opened in AutoCAD the file size is dead on. I don't know about exporting to an image and keeping the scale accurate, but I did create a PDF from the DWG, and for good measure included scales on the page, both 1" & 20mm, so anyone printing the PDF can be sure they've got it to scale without having to measure a 3.5mm hole.

If the PDF I created is printed with the page scaling in Adobe Reader set to "none" it will produce an accurate replica. You're going to need a printer that accepts very small margins though, as the bracket uses 10.35xxx of the 11" wide page. My printer at work did it no problem, but I know the one at home wouldn't fit it as it needs something silly like 1/2" per side margins.

I can email the pdf to whoever, but don't have the means to host it ATM. Anything else I can do to help on the AutoCAD end let me know. BTW, cool design.
    Thanks!

could you e-mail it to me: bottoj@merrimack.edu

Lifer

you only want .062 thk alum or s.s. .090 will be a pain in the ass to bend. and heavier.

Anywhere to buy a sheet of this?

What is sad is it only takes about 2-3 minutes to make this on the laser

Do you have the 'laser' [/Dr. Evil Voice]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit12k View Post
    Once I get the .pdf I will e-mail it to you or host it.

Do you have the sheet metal [ss preferably]?

Last edited by sveesix; 07-08-09 at 01:55 PM.

What was wrong with the legal plate holder that was on there? It just needed some paint!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    What was wrong with the legal plate holder that was on there? It just needed some paint!
    I got the high mount m4 slipon. It took out the right blinker. Purchased a clear alternatives integrated taillight to clean it up. Looks real clean, just looking to make a better, longer lasting plate holder than the one I have now.

I'm wondering if the version of Autocad he saved it in is not a compatible version for my mastercam translator. I think A/C 14 is what i can open

Lifer

I now have the .pdf

Now I just have to find someone willing to cut it

I'm wondering if the version of Autocad he saved it in is not a compatible version for my mastercam translator. I think A/C 14 is what i can open
    That's waaaaaaaaaay old. I opened it and pdf'd it with 2007. I can backsave it to a R12 .dxf if it'd help you but I can't backsave that far in .dwg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    That's waaaaaaaaaay old. I opened it and pdf'd it with 2007. I can backsave it to a R12 .dxf if it'd help you but I can't backsave that far in .dwg.
    yea, we used to use AC 98 lite! hahaha
    yea, if you can gimme a dxf, that should work.
    send to
    nickythedobie@comcast.net

Sent, lemme know how it works and if there is anything else I can do. TP has it in PDF to scale as well.

Nope, still comes in as a huge part! WTF?
    Anyway, I talked to Jeff and gave him a # of a bud of mine that I am hoping he can do it on the laser....

Here is a 3D model with 4 different views of how it should look if I placed the 90 Deg. bend in the right place..

TrickyMike made me one over the winter

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

Here is a 3D model with 4 different views of how it should look if I placed the 90 Deg. bend in the right place..

Nice!

Looking at a 65 degree bend though or else the plate will hit the tire with any suspension travel.

ok, ok biotch, you didnt say dat... here!! hahaha

Nope, still comes in as a huge part! WTF?
    Anyway, I talked to Jeff and gave him a # of a bud of mine that I am hoping he can do it on the laser....
    I get that every once in a while when importing files from a different cad program. Just go to the scaling feature in mc and scale it to the right dimension, using the dimension that he gave you for the lower left hole?, and what you got, you should be fine from there. I'd help you out here bud but all we've got at work are vmc's and the material would be too flimsy to hold in a vice.