Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR / Suzuki DR-Z400S / Supermoto/dual-sport

Re: 2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR / Suzuki DR-Z400S / Supermoto/dual-sport

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Where is that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Where is that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'Bout 300 yards from my house in Southwick MA. It's a fairly substantial pitch, I was standing a little ways down the hill from the bike when I took that photo but it looks like I lowered the camera to the ground or something

So, reviving this thread: still love the bike and I'm riding it a ton. Runs perfect, set up well for me, maybe need to change the bars to something a little higher. Already got some non melted number plates. I keep scouring the ads for an (upgrade?) to a KTM 500exc (or 530 or 450 or....), but they cost an arm and a leg, I'm suspicious of lemons for sale, and I keep telling myself to just be happy with this one. Human nature I guess: "this one is wicked fun!....I wonder how much more fun THAT one would be?"

(Most likely scenario is I let my son ride this one on the street (again) when he gets his permit, and get a KTM too for me!)

So the questions that caused the thread revival:

1) I'm scheduled to ride the TTD at Palmer next Monday. Haven't tried the sumo wheels yet on the klx and am planning to bring my SV, currently set up as a track bike, to Palmer. I'm likely fast for the middle group and slow for the top group there, on my SV. Haven't been tracking much at all lately...maybe twice last season and none this year yet. Should I bring the klx to Palmer and ride that in addition to the SV? How fast is it top end with the sumo gearing? Is it cruel and unusual punishment for the klx, especially on that long Palmer straight? I love the bike, don't really wanna blow it up for laughs, but it sounds like it already has been there, done that, and survived it under many ball sacs already. It obviously CAN do it, but should it, when there's an SV already set up for that duty that doesn't get ridden much? SV is going back on the street after Palmer, btw...

2) ever run this thing out of fuel? Last week I went past my planned fueling point and it has 135 miles on a tank, mostly dirt roads as I was following a vstrom. Still didn't run out, I'm curious if there's a known number when I should be getting gas...gas stations require some planning out in the hills around here, you can get pretty far from any.

Lifer

My $0.02 is that you're over thinking. Lace up the SM wheels and run it. Remember the DRZ400 is a comparatively low-strung street bias motor. The downside is that you're gonna get spanked on the straights. The upside is the motor is relatively durable.

Gear it relatively high and you'll be fine. I was. I would stay out of blue or black groups. Hang in yellow and concentrate on passing politely. My MO with this bike was to load it beside my race SV for track days as a B-bike. Invariably I'd wind up on it by mid afternoon even if the SV was running great because it's easy on the knees and a total giggle. The bike is fine in blue, but you will start to feel like you are holding people up and the closing speeds on a straight can be a bit disturbing sometimes. But .. I mean.. it's a track day, right? In yellow you'll be frustrated by the very early brakers and corner parkers who then motor right out of the corners and then let you catch right back up on the brakes.

I had it out in black once at Thompson on a sunny day. I would advise against that. Closing speeds and such.

I only visited Palmer once and it was in the pouring rain in the AM, drying in the afternoon. Like half the signups bailed, so it was split into 2 groups with 30min sessions each. I ran my SV on rains in the morning in "fast" group and then switched to the DRZ in "slow" group for the afternoon. Although I ran at least one "fast" group session on the DRZ. The DRZ was a straight up giggle there. An absolute dog and completely outgunned by the 600's and such up the steep hills, but then you can brake really late and carry a lot of corner speed with it. Compared to a 450 lbs street bike that DRZ is light.

IIRC I have the smaller front sprocket mounted up front. I'd recommend you change that for Palmer.

Tires on the SM wheels are "ultra-sport" street compound. I was pleased with them on track.

Bring the DRZ alongside the SV. Keep your mindset in that it's a just-for-fun track day and you'll be glad you did.

Last edited by nhbubba; 07-05-17 at 06:54 AM.

Thanks. Yeah I already switched the countershaft sprocket...and found the assortment of rear sprockets in the box. Looks like I can go all the way down from the 47 that's on there to a 39, if the chain length will allow it...should get my top speed up by around 20% from 65 to 80ish I guess.

Might as well try it!

Lifer

I saw 101 indicated down-hill going "down-town" at NYST once.
    Naturally that speedometer is Japanese.. so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123