Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

Re: 2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

ATs have a 270-degree crank, which does make the motor sound like a v-twin, though more like a 90-degree v-twin (Ducati, SV650), not a 45-degree single-pin v-twin like a Harley.

I tried RumbleOn; their offer was $1100 lower than National Powersports' -- and the guy at NP didn't even want to tell me the figure because he admitted it was insultingly low.

And I have posted it on NER. And a variety of other FB groups. And ADVrider. And Burlington and Boston Craigslists. I've had a few nibbles, but no serious bites apart from a lowball offer several weeks ago.

One of my coworkers wants it and has agreed to a price, but part of his money is tied up in his current bike, and he's not having any better luck selling it than I am.

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

I think Yamaha does this with their FZ07 too. I rode my gen-1 SV with a full Yosh system to the Yamaha demo tent at bike week a few years back and climbed on a FZ07 demo bike that had a "dealer option" Yosh pipe on it. The sound was really similar between the two bikes; which is awesome.

I was behind an unidentified sport touring thing this morning. Took me miles to figure out wtf it was. Exhaust tone was impossible to ID. It clearly had aftermarket pipes as they were under-tail mounted (on an ST rig!). Bags and plastics were painted a drab green, almost looked plasti-dipped. Finally concluded it was an Aprilia and probably a caponord. It did not sound like a V-twin though. For a long while I was sure it was a boxer. Very weird.

Also incredibly exotic hardware for my 'hood. Everyone around here rides a Harley or something routine like an SV or EX. It's rare to see or hear something interesting.

Anyway. About that bike for sale.. Sure looks nice. Sumbudybuyit!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Sumbudybuyit!
    Please! It's collecting spiderwebs in my garage right now. Somebody could be enjoying this summer on it.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

There are over 400 new AT’s on CycleTrader, and a similar number of BMW R1200 GS and Yamaha Super Tenere’. Is the big adventure bike market coming back to earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    I had no offers on my Speed Triple. Nothing, not even a "low ball" Closed the thread. It's not costing me anything to sit in the garage. I don't need the money.
    Ive concluded my 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS might sell for $4,000. Other than some electronics new 1,000’s aren’t much more capable, so Ill just keep riding it.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-26-18 at 08:55 AM.

Lifer

I had no offers on my Speed Triple. Nothing, not even a "low ball" Closed the thread. It's not costing me anything to sit in the garage. I don't need the money.

You'd probably have to lower the price to $8k before any offers, just sayin. So hang on to it til next spring. I know you not hurting for storage space thats for sure!

I do hope its goes soon.
    Agree with Kenn. Posted my Streetfighter up on CL and FB and pretty much nothing. I will do the same - just keep it until next year. Insurance is already paid for. It's the time of the year. It is still possible to sell, but definitely at a loss.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

From another forum, Mark has a buyer lined up for a fly-n-ride purchase for next month.

All motorcycling and every other recreation is winding down

Hell even hooters are closing

Feminized millennial boys are addicted to their screens and feelings

Go skiing vast majority kids and grand parents

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    There are over 400 new AT’s on CycleTrader, and a similar number of BMW R1200 GS and Yamaha Super Tenere’. Is the big adventure bike market coming back to earth?
    I'm not so sure the market is contracting yet, but I think a lot of buyers are shifting to the three Euro brands that are killing it right now: Triumph, KTM, and Ducati. The Africa Twin sold well initially due to pent-up demand (nerds like me, basically), but it seems sales fell off a cliff after that, hence the miserable resale value. It's too bad, because it really is a good bike. As for the Super Tenere, well, I've ridden one and was not at all impressed. Boring, and handling was weirdly vague. The bike felt incredibly uninspired, even more so than a V-Strom.

BMW still seems to be doing well with GS sales, but I'm getting the impression there are a lot of people buying new ones, then not keeping them long and dumping them on the used market to either upgrade to a newer one or buy something more exotic instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    From another forum, Mark has a buyer lined up for a fly-n-ride purchase for next month.
    Yep, a guy on ADVrider from Indiana is flying out late September to pick it up. He seems excited about it, so I'm happy the bike appears to be going to a good home.

--mark

I tried to find yours over on ADV and I think I scrolled by 5 of 6 others before I finally found yours.

Jeff

Yeah, there are several of them on there right now.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post

Yep, a guy on ADVrider from Indiana is flying out late September to pick it up. He seems excited about it, so I'm happy the bike appears to be going to a good home.

--mark
    Did you wash it?

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    I'm not so sure the market is contracting yet, but I think a lot of buyers are shifting to the three Euro brands that are killing it right now: Triumph, KTM, and Ducati. The Africa Twin sold well initially due to pent-up demand (nerds like me, basically), but it seems sales fell off a cliff after that, hence the miserable resale value.
    Surprising in that the AT, a 500 lb chain driven bike, seems to make a lot more sense for the claimed purpose than 600+ lb shaft drive 1200’s.

BMW seems to be selling a lot of GS’s. They’ve expanded the lineup but I was completely amazed at the number of R1200GS’s at the Heath rally. I suspect the fairground grass was as far “off road” as most of them ever get.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-28-18 at 02:23 AM.

Did you wash it?
    I gave it a quick wash before stashing it in the barn. I'll give it a more thorough wash before the buyer picks it up. But it will never look like it would if you owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Surprising in that the AT, a 500 lb chain driven bike, seems to make a lot more sense for the claimed purpose than 600+ lb shaft drive 1200’s.

BMW seems to be selling a lot of GS’s. They’ve expanded the lineup but I was completely amazed at the number of R1200GS’s at the Heath rally. I suspect the fairground grass was as far “off road” as most of them ever get.
    You're probably not wrong. Truth is, I suspect even most Africa Twins see very little dirt. And I suppose I'm guilty in part -- I've never viewed a 500lb multicylinder motorcycle as a dirtbike, no matter what people like Chris Birch can do with them (and he can do some amazing stuff with a KTM 1090 Adventure R). But what these bikes are spectacularly good for is ripping beat-up New England twisties and tearing along many miles of remote gravel roads at high rates of speed. The bikes with the 21" front wheels do this substantially better than the ones with 19" front wheels, which is why I keep buying them. That said, most GSes and probably many Africa Twins never even see the dirt/gravel roads.

--mark

Lifer

But gosh, it sure is en-vogue to bash ADV style bike owners.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    But gosh, it sure is en-vogue to bash ADV style bike owners.
    Clearly they’re asking for it. Have you seen the way the dress?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I'm over the astronaut look. I think we should bring back the 1920s aviator look.

I mean, this would make a pretty awesome riding jacket...

--mark

AT finally sold to a guy from ADVrider. He drove his truck and trailer out from Indiana on Friday to pick it up; we loaded it up Saturday morning and he hit the road back to Indiana.

--mark

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nice when stories have a happy ending.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Do u miss it? You meet the nicest people on Hondas.

Your park avenue leads to..

No, but I am happy to report that the AT's buyer was a really nice guy. Glad the bike went to a good home, but I'm also glad to have the garage space back (and money in my bank account).

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Clearly they’re asking for it. Have you seen the way the dress?
    They dress like a human glow stick.

- - - Updated - - -

Friend of mine just scored a nice AT in Vermont for $8K fairly low miles and upgraded suspension. He seems pretty happy with it and was a GS guy.

2013 ZX6R-636

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123