Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

30 pound can of R12 (old type car refrigerant) make me a reasonable offer

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Cool 30 pound can of R12 (old type car refrigerant) make me a reasonable offer

i have a can of Kaiser Chemicals', R12, was a 30 lb can, now weighs 23.6 pounds gross.
    I don't need it, but anyone who has an old car that has not been converted to R134a could have a good use for this..

make a reasonable offer
    edit: lets say $400 very negotiable

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Cerberus; 06-09-12 at 10:54 PM.
    Get out while you can

Find your own path

Re: 30 pound can of R12 (old type car refrigerant) make me a reasonable offer

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    i have a can of Kaiser Chemicals', R12, was a 30 lb can, now weighs 23.6 pounds gross.
    I don't need it, but anyone who has an old car that has not been converted to R134a could have a good use for this..

make a reasonable offer
    So I'm going to tell a guy I know about this tomorrow at work, I have no idea what's reasonable, so I'll let him decide, but I know he's been looking. GLWS!

Bopida Beepoo

awesome. if he buys it i'll throw you a referral bonus

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Couple things..
    per forum rules, it's not a price guessing game, so you must list a price
    2nd, is it even legal to sell this stuff as a private party?

Yamaha

Isn't the government tax on new stuff like $10 per pound , so $300 for starters?

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Isn't the government tax on new stuff like $10 per pound , so $300 for starters?
    There aren't any special taxes on new r134 bottles when you buy from a retailer, but you do have to have proper licensing for both kinds, which the buyer I have looking has for r134 and r12. I'm pretty sure r12 is still used for home appliances or ac units... maybe not though, just something I've heard a few people say.
    I sell thirty pounders of the new stuff for $140 to shops, but what they have to pay for licensing or taxes on dispensing etc is unknown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Couple things..
    per forum rules, it's not a price guessing game, so you must list a price
    Ya know you bring up a good point, as a seller I don't know if you require any authorizations. I don't think the guy I know who's looking much cares though

Last edited by Priv; 06-07-12 at 04:11 PM.
    Bopida Beepoo

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I was going to mention that, as my father is a refrigeration mechanic and I thought he's mentioned this a time or two. After a quick google search, this stuff could be very illegal for you to possess and or sell, without an EPA certification. You've got an actual 30 pound can, not the small cans that were meant for charging (very) old car systems. For someone to legally purchase this from you, they need to be certified by the EPA as well

Might wanna delete this here post if you don't have a cert to sell / possess. Kinda like finding a crate of dynamite in grandads basement. He bought it legally but nowadays he'd be a domestic terrorist.

I appreciate the input all.

For what its worth, I have not only the automotive refrigeration cert, but also the ASE Master Auto Tech cert, so no worries.

It is not illegal to have or sell as a private party because I have the certs required to buy it and would only sell to someone who has a similar certification.

Also, the class for the certification was about an hour and half long and ended with what might as well have been an open book test...
    (basically a joke)

Priv, home and industrial refrigeration use different refrigerants like R-22, R122, Ammonia and others

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Is this now officially a "controversial topic?" When I was a tech ten years ago someone would have paid a large sum of cash at a clandestine location for that can. I wonder if the CFC price bubble has burst?

it has. because so many cars have been converted to R134a, the market for R12 is much smaller than it ever was

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Depending on when you purchased the bottle you may not need certification to own it, but thats saying you purchased the bottle in the late 80s or early 90s. If you want to sell it legal the buyer must have certification, make sure you get a copy of it.

It's been almost ten years since I sold one of these out of a parts store, back then I know the price was over $700, and to replace our inventory once sold it was a royal pain in the a$$ with paperwork. But as stated before the market for this is much smaller then it ever was.

bumpski

Get out while you can

Find your own path

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

I'm pretty sure there is a big diference between wholesale and needing a licence and someone selling a single can. But 15 yrs ago when the big switch was manditory , I thinking 1996 ish in cars , that stuff got slammed with tax. I used to get a can bigger than 30lbs and wholesale was under $50.oo , then after the tax hike a 30lbs was about $450.oo and you needed the "recovery licence" because it was depleting the ozone layer hahahaha.
    Surprised you havnt sold it yet. Some peope love that stuff.

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

bumping again..
    the stated for sale price was just a number i put there to satisfy the requirements that a price be specified

Get out while you can

Find your own path