Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

4 - OEM VW 18" Austin wheels + Pirelli tires

Re: 4 - OEM VW 18" Austin wheels + Pirelli tires

while i would enjoy seeing it in the weeds as well ... i told him last night some FAT rubber would look sweet. 1.5" lift + MEAT = hell to-the yesss.

back when we had a Volve XC70 i wanted to beef it up so bad...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Those B5 Avants can really take a beating in the snow though.... ask me how I know

As for building the ultimate battle wagon, I'm thinking a Stage3 C5 Allroad with the 2.7T coupled to a 01e 6-speed would fit the bill. 500hp grocery sleeper.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I really wanted to have an allroad but I just couldn't abide the two tone "leather" in the C5's. Just hatefully damn ugly.

In all likelihood I won't be lifting my Avant, also won't be doing the APR Stage 1 tune. If I were to keep it, sure, but within the next year it's getting getting passed on to wifey who has a Honda Fit on it's last leg. I'll be moving back into a truck, or truck-like vehicle.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I really wanted to have an allroad but I just couldn't abide the two tone "leather" in the C5's. Just hatefully damn ugly.

In all likelihood I won't be lifting my Avant, also won't be doing the APR Stage 1 tune. If I were to keep it, sure, but within the next year it's getting getting passed on to wifey who has a Honda Fit on it's last leg. I'll be moving back into a truck, or truck-like vehicle.
    I hear Ridgeline's are all the rage right now......

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    while i would enjoy seeing it in the weeds as well ... i told him last night some FAT rubber would look sweet. 1.5" lift + MEAT = hell to-the yesss.

back when we had a Volve XC70 i wanted to beef it up so bad...

I can't believe how stupidly expensive those cars are. Girlfriend has a sea foam green Outback Wagon that's in dire need of replacing...we prodded at the Volvo, but they START at $37k. She's going to end up in an Alltrack, best bang for the buck in a wagon right now if you need AWD #frontwheeldrivewithsnowtires

I may fight to keep the Subaru around a bit longer. Once it goes, the likelihood of her bringing a girl home one of these nights significantly decreases.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 10-26-17 at 09:37 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I can't believe how stupidly expensive those cars are. Girlfriend has a sea foam green Outback Wagon that's in dire need of replacing...we prodded at the Volvo, but they START at $37k. She's going to end up in an Alltrack, best bang for the buck in a wagon right now if you need AWD #frontwheeldrivewithsnowtires

I may fight to keep the Subaru around a bit longer. Once it goes, the likelihood of her bringing a girl home one of these nights significantly decreases.
    yup, not cheap. i forget what year we had, 2013 (?) but it was the begining of the end for us with Volvo. we've owned 4 but my family has owned prob like 20 Volvos over the years. loved the XC70 until it started burning oil, had coolant/rad issues, steering rack went. just weird stuff for a fairly low milage car that was well cared for. my grandfather owned about 5 XC70s, no real issues. the XC60 we have right now has been so-so. we lost a lot of space so it's on the chopping block soon.

the Alltrack looks sweet, i could def see myself in one. wife isn't too crazy about it. on that note, i wish i went Golf R for the AWD. i'm completely in love with my GTI. perfect rig for me at the moment. super smiles every time i'm in it.

Beta 200RR

yup, not cheap. i forget what year we had, 2013 (?) but it was the begining of the end for us with Volvo. we've owned 4 but my family has owned prob like 20 Volvos over the years. loved the XC70 until it started burning oil, had coolant/rad issues, steering rack went. just weird stuff for a fairly low milage car that was well cared for. my grandfather owned about 5 XC70s, no real issues. the XC60 we have right now has been so-so. we lost a lot of space so it's on the chopping block soon.

the Alltrack looks sweet, i could def see myself in one. wife isn't too crazy about it. on that note, i wish i went Golf R for the AWD. i'm completely in love with my GTI. perfect rig for me at the moment. super smiles every time i'm in it.
    Its the potential problems you mention with Volvo's that scare me. $37k isn't bad if I know it will be rock solid for years to come, but I don't know much about them and don't have a mechanic for them. I know that's weird coming from a VW owner, but I got a talented VW tech in the family.

With the amount of bikes we take everywhere...a GTI/R isn't in the cards sadly. Need the wagon. Last weekend we fit 3 people and 6 bikes on/in the damn thing. If this was a rare occurrence, I'd go with the hot hatch. I've been itching to drive a new GTI with that fancy front dif' though. Sounds like it may make the R kinda obsolete.

I'll always need one VW in my life. If she gets the Alltrack, that will satisfy the quota and I can get a Tacoma

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Its the potential problems you mention with Volvo's that scare me. $37k isn't bad if I know it will be rock solid for years to come, but I don't know much about them and don't have a mechanic for them. I know that's weird coming from a VW owner, but I got a talented VW tech in the family.

With the amount of bikes we take everywhere...a GTI/R isn't in the cards sadly. Need the wagon. Last weekend we fit 3 people and 6 bikes on/in the damn thing. If this was a rare occurrence, I'd go with the hot hatch. I've been itching to drive a new GTI with that fancy front dif' though. Sounds like it may make the R kinda obsolete.

I'll always need one VW in my life. If she gets the Alltrack, that will satisfy the quota and I can get a Tacoma
    yeah, Volvo has definiteliy gone downhil, at least in our experience. the last good one we had was a ~99 S70 (although the S60 wasn't bad either), that thing racked up the miles, sat out in the elements ungaraged and showed like ZERO wear except for the steering wheel and radio knobs. only rust was one exhaust hanger, undercarriage was essentially spotless. totally mind blowing for a New England car. each one since then has had some sort of issue. my families experience was pretty similar. they started to abandon the brand around 2014 or so.

makes sense on hatch vs wagon for your needs. i think you should go Alltrack

Beta 200RR

A beautiful white XC60 with 20k miles on it went for 10k at the auction today

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    There's a reason it was at auction and not at a dealership with only 20k miles. Happen to see the listing on IAAI or elsewhere with a description?

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    wow. +1 to Johnny.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    There's a reason it was at auction and not at a dealership with only 20k miles. Happen to see the listing on IAAI or elsewhere with a description?
    Had a rear passenger door dented in... Still quite the deal though, interior was mint. I bid on it but passed once it got north of 9.

I checked out the Alltrack today online, it’s pretty cool. That said, I bought my B5 A4 Avant for $6k with 60k miles. The only aspect of the alltrack I’d like that I don’t have is blueteeth. We’ll drive this car for 5 more years and 75-100k more miles before selling it. She does look dope with the Austin wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I checked out the Alltrack today online, it’s pretty cool. That said, I bought my B5 A4 Avant for $6k with 60k miles. The only aspect of the alltrack I’d like that I don’t have is blueteeth. We’ll drive this car for 5 more years and 75-100k more miles before selling it. She does look dope with the Austin wheels.

Stay on top of the basic maintenance stuff and the car will serve you well. Around 100k get ready for timing belt, valve cover gastet, wheel bearings and cv work whether you replace the entire axle or catch it early enough to re-pack the existing ones and throw new boots on.

lookin' good ! 35% tints all arounds next.

Beta 200RR

lookin' good ! 35% tints all arounds next.
    That’s next up. I *really* don’t want to change out the factory radio, but I’m going to put in a touch panel so I can get blueteeth. Same shop will tint all 7 windows for $325. That’s going to be an expensive day.

That is sharp, infinitely better than an outback or minivan.

Looking at a couple 2007/2008 Audi A4's for the boys tomorrow. Both 2.0T auto's, I've heard the good and the bad but I'm a bit nervous about them. Just planning to test drive tomorrow.

That’s next up. I *really* don’t want to change out the factory radio, but I’m going to put in a touch panel so I can get blueteeth. Same shop will tint all 7 windows for $325. That’s going to be an expensive day.
    hmm, that seems like a good price. think i paid close to that for my 5-window job, maybe a hair less.

Beta 200RR

Stay on top of the basic maintenance stuff and the car will serve you well. Around 100k get ready for timing belt, valve cover gastet, wheel bearings and cv work whether you replace the entire axle or catch it early enough to re-pack the existing ones and throw new boots on.
    I actually need a valve cover gasket now. Had it serviced yesterday and my mechanic said it has a slight leak. Also recommended doing the timing belt sooner rather than later. Thanks for the heads up on the axles and wheel bearings.

I actually need a valve cover gasket now. Had it serviced yesterday and my mechanic said it has a slight leak. Also recommended doing the timing belt sooner rather than later. Thanks for the heads up on the axles and wheel bearings.
    Yea the VCG is fairly easy on that motor, just making sure you take your time and properly remove any debris from the surfaces and install the new gasket properly is key. There are a great many VAG cars on the road that have "had the gaskets done" and still stink of burning oil everywhere they go.

For the wheel bearings, the Schwaben tool kit makes life so much easier and they're really not that bad of a job(with the tool and enough MAP gas to set the world on fire). Axles aren't terrible but having the proper tools makes a world of difference. A decent set of triple square bits is worth the money, as stripping out the inner CV bolts will make your life hell.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    That is sharp, infinitely better than an outback or minivan.

Looking at a couple 2007/2008 Audi A4's for the boys tomorrow. Both 2.0T auto's, I've heard the good and the bad but I'm a bit nervous about them. Just planning to test drive tomorrow.
    I haven't driven any of the 2.0's but I like the 1.8. It isn't a fast car, but it's a bit quick and handles nicely. Damn thing is magical in the snow, it just goes where you want it to. I was fortunate to find this one, it was a one owner and had been taken care of by the local Audi shop it's whole life. People regularly get in my car and think it's "new." Nope, 16 years old. The B5/B6 cars both have really nice lines.

Yea the VCG is fairly easy on that motor, just making sure you take your time and properly remove any debris from the surfaces and install the new gasket properly is key. There are a great many VAG cars on the road that have "had the gaskets done" and still stink of burning oil everywhere they go.

For the wheel bearings, the Schwaben tool kit makes life so much easier and they're really not that bad of a job(with the tool and enough MAP gas to set the world on fire). Axles aren't terrible but having the proper tools makes a world of difference. A decent set of triple square bits is worth the money, as stripping out the inner CV bolts will make your life hell.
    Yeah I'll probably do the valve cover gasket myself, that's an easy job I can do in the driveway. My mechanic quoted me $250 to replace that plus one of the oil lines to the turbo so that'll be a decent penny saved. I'll probably let him do the wheel bearings and CV axles unless I put a lift in my barn before then. I fix machinery for a living so to be honest, I'm usually pretty happy to send my daily driver to the mechanic and not turn wrenches when I get home.

Finishing touch. $7 shipped from China, took 3 weeks to get here, now they look like they’re supposed to be there.

Finishing touch. $7 shipped from China, took 3 weeks to get here, now they look like they’re supposed to be there.
    sweet but ONE more finishing touch, sorry i had to keep mine ... lug bolt caps

Genuine Volkswagen Audi - 1K06011739B9 - 17mm Lug Bolt Cap - Priced Each

Beta 200RR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12