Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

'99 Suzuki GS500

'99 Suzuki GS500

Just forwarding for a buddy of mine, Let me know if anyone may be interested.

Price: $1,800

"Up for SALE or TRADE is my beloved yellow GS500. This is a 500cc standard bike, meaning no fairings or plastic. This bike is really an amazing bike for its size. It is small enough physically for a smaller rider (woman or smaller men) yet still comfy enough for me at 6-2 to ride 400mi days on and it weighs in just under 400lbs. The 500cc motor has a broad power band and it really perfect at lower rpms for newer riders, while still being an animal when you open it up. Honestly one of the best bikes out there for a really competent beginner or any one looking for a great bike in the 500cc range. Sporty yet comfortable for long trips. I have even done a few 200+mi days 2 up with my girlfriend on the back with camping gear. and it still pulled hard through the notches in NH. Also BRAND NEW Avon tires.

Though it is wonderful, it is not perfect. I have owned it for almost 2 years now and about 3,000mi and under my ownership it was laid down once. This took place at LOW speed turning into my girlfriends dirt driveway the very first day I owned the bike! I believe the bike was laid down before I owned it, however there are no scratches on the frame or body, only scuffs on the bar end and on the side of the block. No damage was done as I have put about 3,000 mi. on since and have had no issues. In the 3,000 mi. I have owned her, I have done 2 oil changes and intend on another when she goes back on the road. The bike has duel carbs and a slight vacuum issue in the fuel lines to the carb. There seems to be a vacuum leak between the fuel pick up and the selector valve for (on, reserve, prime). in the on position, the valve is closed unless the motor is turning (creating vacuum) when traveling around 6500rpm or 60mph the valve begins to fuel starve the motor. I believe this is due to a SIMPLE vacuum leak. However, I have not fixed this yet, because by placing the fuel switch in the PRIME position the fuel is gravity fed and runs like a champ! By doing so I can run her at 85 all day with not an issue.

The battery is weak when the temps drop bellow 40 or so, but runs strong all summer. I would consider selling helmets/ gear as well if interested.

The reason for selling is simply that I need the money now and the bike is a luxury for me.

Thanks for looking, I will try to put up an actual photo soon!

Steve "

He mentioned he was looking for a mountain bike....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by imkindafkedup; 03-14-11 at 08:03 PM.

Re: '99 Suzuki GS500

Needs a price per forum rules.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Sorry, I thought I had included a price. I will edit it. Thanks!

Is the bike in the Peabody MA area? I have a friend who is looking for a GS or any starter bike for that matter and he would be very interested in this but he's down in the Hartford CT area so Peabody is a bit of a hike. Can you give me phone number just in case he wants to call your buddy about the bike?

Thanks.

Yep, same bike. I'll PM the number now.

Quote Originally Posted by imkindafkedup View Post
    The bike has duel carbs and a slight vacuum issue in the fuel lines to the carb. There seems to be a vacuum leak between the fuel pick up and the selector valve for (on, reserve, prime). in the on position, the valve is closed unless the motor is turning (creating vacuum) when traveling around 6500rpm or 60mph the valve begins to fuel starve the motor. I believe this is due to a SIMPLE vacuum leak. However, I have not fixed this yet, because by placing the fuel switch in the PRIME position the fuel is gravity fed and runs like a champ! By doing so I can run her at 85 all day with not an issue.
    Actually this is usually just because of the poor design of the petcock. Most people just bypass it completely. It's not usually a vacuum leak issue, just a flow issue.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Actually this is usually just because of the poor design of the petcock. Most people just bypass it completely. It's not usually a vacuum leak issue, just a flow issue.
    He he rides with it all the time. Never really poses any real issues. We've never had problems with the bike on a ride.