Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

My Broken 47" Phillips LCD TV

Lifer

My Broken 47" Phillips LCD TV

Well I know people like to pick up old TV's LCD tv to fix up.

My trusty Phillips 47" TV just turned off.. and is down for the count. To the best of my knowledge it is the power supply unit. The TV is in perfect shape.. dusty and with children's fingerprints. It's a heavy big thing... that I may decide to replace it.. or not (I bought a fancy new 50" tv for black friday in preparation for the day it died.. and greediness).

I have found a nice website that lists the part, a repair service or a capacitor repair.

https://www.shopjimmy.com/philips-27...ir-service.htm

I would probably have fixed it myself or kept it.. but with the kids.. no time, plus it weighs a ton, I don't feel like lugging it to the basement and clearing space for it.

** key here is that it just turned off out of the blue, and never turned on. Also no LED indicator is on anymore when the TV is off.. so it points to the power supply unit dying**

How about.. $40 bucks, come here I'll help you put it in your car. I can tell you from my last move.. it BARELY fits in the back seat of an Evo8 But it's heavy to lift by yourself once it's in there!

Let me know.. I've gone online and contacted the various people on craigslist that offer cash for broken TV's.

Will accept trades for anything cool or fun....

I'm in Natick, MA

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: My Broken 47" Phillips LCD TV

FWIW I repaired my old LG TV with a capacitor kit I got on ebay for $18. Its pretty easy if its just the capacitors.

Lifer

Yes the capacitor kit is like 60 bucks I think. Again if I didn't have two toddlers this would be apart on my kitchen table. ...

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    FWIW I repaired my old LG TV with a capacitor kit I got on ebay for $18. Its pretty easy if its just the capacitors.
    interesting.

i have a 42" LG that wont power on. It worked perfect ... then i put it in storage for 5 weeks, took it out - and now doesnt work. Storage unit was COLD at times.... but the 2 other TV's that were in there all came out working fine.

hmmm

Lifer

I wonder if it got cold enough to freeze/blow capacitors...

Mine just shut off one day. The biggest diagnostic is that my standby LED is off regardless of power.. which all points to that power supply card. You might want to check yours?

Capacitors should work when very cold. Condensation is more of a problem if you're operating electronic equipment in really cold weather.

Easiest way to check if it's the power supply - which I bet it is - is to take the case off the TV, find out where the AC gets converted to DC, and see if you have DC power coming out.

Google capacitor kits but like I said if you can solder its not that hard. There are tutorials on utube. I did my lg years ago and its still going fine.

You can find the kits for $20 but if you figure out what sizes you need they are dirt cheap. It worth getting the kit though.

Or remove the power supply from the TV (just a few screws) and take it to a TV repair shop.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Or remove the power supply from the TV (just a few screws) and take it to a TV repair shop.

yea... perhaps i should try this.

it is a pretty nice LG LCD too.

as far as they go.

42 inch. i replaced it with a 65" vizio though - which i am really happy with... but this one would be great for home gym if I can get it working again.