Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Feeler: 2002 Ducati 998

Feeler: 2002 Ducati 998

Here's the deal:

Ducati 998 Monoposto/Biposto Superbike
    Year: 2002
    Title: Clean
    Mileage: 9000

This bike is an absolute blast to own and ride. I am the second owner. Bought it from Bobby, who owns Desmoporsche in Houston TX. He performed all of the upgrades and work in his shop as this was his personal bike. The Frame and Marchesini Wheels have been sanded and powdercoated black strictly for looks.

She has been ridden maturely. I'm in my mid-30's and in medical school...I'm not crazy.

This bike has never hit the deck or tipped over. She lives off her feet in my garage and is winterized correctly every fall. She has a set of Michelin Pilot Pures with less than 300 miles on them.

Performance & Cosmetic Upgrades:
    • Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust (60mm Output)
    • Ducati Performance Racing ECU
    • Evoluzione Rear Fender Eliminator
    • Billet Front Clutch / Brake Reservoirs
    • Billet Bar Ends
    • Billet Rear Brake Reservoir
    • 4 x OEM Clear Blinkers
    • Billet Vented Sprocket Cover
    • SpeedyMoto Billet Red Pressure Plate
    • Ducati Performance (DP) Billet Black 5 Spoke Clutch Cover
    • DP Billet Gold Spring / Cap Set
    • AFAM Quick Change Rear Sprocket + Carrier
    • Ducati Performance CF Corsa Front Fender
    • Ducati Performance CF Center V-Cowl
    • Ducati Performance CF Rear Swingarm Cover
    • Ducati Performance CF Rear Chain Guard Cover
    • Ducati Performance CF Side Exhaust Guard
    • Ducati Performance CF Heel Guards
    • Ducati Performance Red Rear View Mirrors (these look amazing!)
    • Ducati Performance CF Dash Panel
    • Sport Touring Clear Windscreen
    • Fairing & Windshield Black Dzus Fasteners

Also comes with:
    1. A brand new red fuel tank (read below as to why)
    2. Complete Biposto set up including biposto subframe (which I had powdercoated black to match the rest of the bike), fully swappable tail (nice comfy Corbin seat) and passenger pegs
    3. Stock exhaust for use with biposto set up
    4. FULL Race/track fairings

One thing should be noted, the Akrapovic cans are too long for the biposto set up, so I have the two stock cans as well if your lady would like to hop on the back. Swapping everything including exhaust takes me about 20 minutes with a Hex set and 8+10mm sockets (for the exhaust hangers). Yes, I also have the stock exhaust hangers with rubber gaskets which are impossible to find. The larger Akrapovic cans use a carbon fiber set (see photos). It would require remapping the ECU...but read on, I'll get to that.

Flaws:
    1. The Airbox was originally upgraded by the original owner to a Carbon Fiber airbox. He kept that and the current airbox, although Ducati red, has a few flecks of its original yellow paint showing through. Quite minor, but I'm an anal med student, and I think this bothered me most.
    2. The original fuel cell has two very minor dents (not visible in photos) and a few scratches in the clear coat. However, I will include a BRAND NEW fuel tank if I get my asking price. These suckers run well over $800 - $1000 at dealers and finding a totally new one on Ebay for under $500 is simply not easy (I'd say impossible!!). I spent coin on this one, because, as noted above, I'm anal. But I've never put it on because I wanted it "just in case". This is JUST the tank, no pump, no o-ring and no fuel cap, but an easy swap if you decide to install it.
    3. The Akrapovic exhaust (which is friggin amazing!!) causes a bit of an afterfire under engine deceleration and at low speeds, because she's not been mapped on a dyno. A PCIII or Nemesis will QUICKLY resolve this. I've had multiple threads on NESR asking for input, and I just haven't had time for this yet.
    4. I've yet to see the low-fuel light come on, and I've run out of fuel once (thanks again Billy!!) as a result. Now I won't do more than 125-140 miles without a fill.
    5. Rear kickstand engine mount was stripped, drilled and re-tapped. No issues since, but the rear kickstand bolt is not OEM even though it functions perfectly.

She's been to Loudon for a trackday only one time, last September with the Vermont crew, without incident. That said, she comes with a COMPLETE trackday set up. Full fairings, including an RS foam track seat in decent shape. See attached photos for the track set up as well.

Cyclewise performed a FULL service on her last July, including entirely new rear brake set up, throttle bodies sync, CO's, and valves. I have ALL receipts for work performed, and I have the excel spreadsheet of work performed by the previous owner, confirmed with receipts including the 6000mile service.

She fired right up on Monday of this week after being on the trickle charger all winter, and performed wonderfully over the 80 miles to Cyclewise and back.

I can not speak more highly of the Tamburini design, and if this doesn't sell, no big deal. I'll take it with me for residency and buy my dream bike in a year or two. I'm putting it up here for what I consider to be a steal, given all of the aftermarket parts and accessories. The biposto set up alone would likely fetch $500 on ebay. The new fuel tank, probably another $500 minimum.

A quick Google search reveals most 998's are going for anywhere from $6000-9000. NADA puts her at $6807 without any extras. Kelley BB quotes $7800. Here's how I see it:

NESR members get a good deal. That's what communities are all about.

Bike alone with add-on's: $7300 (splitting the NADA and KBB values)
    New Fuel Tank: $500
    Biposto Set up: $500
    Full Race Fairings: $200
    Total: $8500

Price: $7800 FIRM (that's Blue Book PLUS I"m including all of these accessories). As noted, I can take this to residency, so no low ballers please. I think Doc, Freak, DarkDuc and a bunch of others will attest to how clean this bike is.

Ok, Photos:

Test rides allowed if payment has been made; I've had my other Ducati dropped by a "friend".

Payments accepted:
    Cash
    Bank Check
    Personal Check - must clear before bike AND title are turned over
    Paypal - will cost buyer the Paypal fees

Thanks folks. This is a GREAT, low mileage Tamburini. I hope she goes to a good home.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by sandros; 04-24-11 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Mileage update after today's ride
    ---------------------------------------------------
    - Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)
    2006 Xtreme Pro Stock 125cc (sold to JBell)
    2000 Ducati 748 track (sold)

Re: Feeler: 2002 Ducati 998

This bike is Sweet and rivaled mine at bike night. I am sure Sandy will be as sad to see his go as I was to let mine go.

This has twice as much stuff as mine did and mine sold for $6900. $7800 is a steal for all that somes with it!

GLWS... So what is your "dream bike"?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Thanks Doc. The bike I'm looking to get is an 07 Tricolore. There's one at Cyclewise (although its not certain that its for sale), one in Utah and one in CA. I'm actually debating having both bikes, but storage during residency would be tricky.

- Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote Originally Posted by sandros
    Thanks Doc. The bike I'm looking to get is an 07 Tricolore. There's one at Cyclewise (although its not certain that its for sale), one in Utah and one in CA. I'm actually debating having both bikes, but storage during residency would be tricky.
    Not to screw with the thread, but what about the tri makes it so appealing? Is it just the colors?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

No, that damn Billy Russell let me ride a 1098S last August. I could go into details, but it was what I've always wanted: refined power everywhere. The 998 is pure straight up grunt. And yes, I love my 998 too, which is why I'm not pressing super hard to sell it and I'm keeping it as one big package. I've got the time this month before graduation to put up all the spares on the forum here or ducati.ms or ebay, and sell the bike for less money, and I still just might. But I figured I put the feelers out here on the forum.

As for the Tri, sure, I enjoy the graphics too, its a great looking scheme, and with a limited one-year production (2007) it commemorates when everything started for me in medicine. Perhaps if they release a special edition in 2016, I'll get that one, as that's when I'll finish residency.

Last edited by sandros; 04-22-11 at 09:53 AM.
    - Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)

bump for a nice looking bike...

GLWS sandy!

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

Happy Easter Everyone!

Here's an Easter BUMP.

- Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Good lookin' bike. GLWS, this is *the* bike to own for that generation.

CCS/LRRS #83

Bike no longer for sale. If interested in some of the listed parts. Please search on ebay. Thanks.

- Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by sandros View Post
    Bike no longer for sale. If interested in some of the listed parts. Please search on ebay. Thanks.
    Had too much fun with it at the track day huh?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Good meeting you and the bike yesterday..... I do not blame you for holding onto her

CCS/LRRS #83