Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pup Looking For Home

Pup Looking For Home

I don't want to do this....since I believe that if I get a dog it's for their life. I adopted a pup from Afghanistan, a Koochie dog in Oct. when she was 9 months old. she turned 1 in Dec. She is a great dog, very loving. but, she does have a little issue of having separation anxiety, very bad. she will bark desperately. I have tried many things to see what may help her, but nothing seems to help. I even brought her to a behaviorist at Tufts Vet School, she was put on anxiety meds & they don't seem to help her one bit. I don't want to get rid off her, but might have too. I have neighbors calling the cops constantly when I'm not home, due too her barking. She is home with my other dog, but that doesn't seem to help her. I also rent to 2 buddies of mine & one sleeps during the day, but can't due too her barking. She needs a home where someone is home with her all day, ie: a ranch/farm would be a great place for her. It's breaking my heart just thinking that I need to find her a new home. I"m hoping I can with someone that is home all day. If anyone has any suggestions or knows of anyone that might be able to take it, it would be appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Pup Looking For Home

Did they try that dog compression jacket?

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Sorry to hear about this. Separation anxiety is tough on animals and their owners...
    I'd be curious to hear what medication therapy they tried, it's usually a case of trial and error. Did you tell the veterinary behaviorist the meds didn't help?

She's gonna be a tough dog to place good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Thundershirt - won't hurt, might help...

If you ain't first......you're last!

Have u tried leaving him in a room with the tv on and a kong filled with frozen yogurt? Occupy his mind by keeping him busy. Just a suggestion if you haven't tried yet

Have you tried a doggie daycare for a couple days a week? The dog will be away from you but around other dogs and humans. Maybe that might get her used to being away from you but happy to be around other dogs.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    tried this already, & within 2 days she learned to take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by cbr_chick_nh View Post
    Sorry to hear about this. Separation anxiety is tough on animals and their owners...
    I'd be curious to hear what medication therapy they tried, it's usually a case of trial and error. Did you tell the veterinary behaviorist the meds didn't help?

She's gonna be a tough dog to place good luck.

Thundershirt - won't hurt, might help...
    The Thundershirt didn't help & she learned to take it off within 2 days & her and my other dog used it to play tug-a-war. she is a smart dog, but she just has that barking issue. I think she hears things at time, prob. bombs since that's what she is used to hearing in Afghanistan. right now she's on prozac & buspar. she was also on clonidine, amitriptyline, xanax & I can't remember what other med right now. but, they are like giving her candy. Oh, ya I've been working with the behaviorist on adjusting the meds etc. He's puzzled by them not working on her. The rescue I got her from is willing to take her back & re-home her maybe to a farm/ranch home or with someone that is home all day. she is a total sweetheart & I really don't want to let her go.

Quote Originally Posted by boloson View Post
    Have u tried leaving him in a room with the tv on and a kong filled with frozen yogurt? Occupy his mind by keeping him busy. Just a suggestion if you haven't tried yet
    Oh, what have I not tried, this & many more things. i"m just at my wits end and doing different things for her.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Have you tried a doggie daycare for a couple days a week? The dog will be away from you but around other dogs and humans. Maybe that might get her used to being away from you but happy to be around other dogs.
    I do take them to daycare 2-3x's a week..I also travel at times alot & they get to stay there for maybe a week or so & that don't do it for her. It's when she is home & I leave that she will bark nonstop. It's very aggravating to be trying all kinds of stuff & nothing working on her. at home she is with my other dog & I think he is even getting aggravated by her barking so much. lol

Quote Originally Posted by 06gixgirl View Post
    The rescue I got her from is willing to take her back & re-home her maybe to a farm/ranch home or with someone that is home all day. she is a total sweetheart & I really don't want to let her go.
    If all else fails (and it sounds like most has), that sounds like a great option. Now that they know her issues they'll be sure she gets in the right home.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    If all else fails (and it sounds like most has), that sounds like a great option. Now that they know her issues they'll be sure she gets in the right home.
    Ya, at least they will take her. but, I just hate having to let her go. I honestly don't believe in having a dog & getting rid off it., but, in this case it's a must.

I have the same beliefs as you. I've got a lab/hound mix that was rescued from Alabama (he was one day from being put down). He's got a great personality but he has had skin/allergy problems that has cost a fortune to get under control. Sometimes that's the card you get handed. All you can do is be happy that you've tried everything within your means. I'd have a hard time letting go of either of my, dogs but if in the end, I knew it was best for them, it would be easier for me to deal with.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by 06gixgirl View Post
    The Thundershirt didn't help & she learned to take it off within 2 days & her and my other dog used it to play tug-a-war. she is a smart dog, but she just has that barking issue. I think she hears things at time, prob. bombs since that's what she is used to hearing in Afghanistan. right now she's on prozac & buspar. she was also on clonidine, amitriptyline, xanax & I can't remember what other med right now. but, they are like giving her candy. Oh, ya I've been working with the behaviorist on adjusting the meds etc. He's puzzled by them not working on her. The rescue I got her from is willing to take her back & re-home her maybe to a farm/ranch home or with someone that is home all day. she is a total sweetheart & I really don't want to let her go.
    Clomipramine?

Have you tried behavioral modification training? I'm not sure what behaviorist you are working with, sometimes they discuss training aside from meds...

If you ain't first......you're last!

Get the shock collar for barking it works and works well. I have 2 dogs that would bark at anything that moved. Car rides sucked. They are the most well behaved dogs now. It only takes one or two zaps and they get the hint right away.

Call it cruel or whatever. It works.

I only have the collars on for car rides and when I leave the house. Otherwise when they are on a walk or playing no collar. They know when it's on not to bark.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Not a fan of the shock collar, but they do make one that vibrates and seems to be just as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    Get the shock collar for barking it works and works well. I have 2 dogs that would bark at anything that moved. Car rides sucked. They are the most well behaved dogs now. It only takes one or two zaps and they get the hint right away.

Call it cruel or whatever. It works.

I only have the collars on for car rides and when I leave the house. Otherwise when they are on a walk or playing no collar. They know when it's on not to bark.

KB
    i love dogs + don't like the idea of shock therapy BUT this does work and yes i've tried it on myself to see if it was painful and it was not--it can be adjusted for lo to hi strength!
    give it a try!

Don't they make little speakers that emit a noise when a dog barks? Its supposedly a very high pitch noise that humans can't hear but dogs hate it?

Not sure if it works- but might be worth a try?

I'm a fan of anything that works...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyZ View Post
    Don't they make little speakers that emit a noise when a dog barks? Its supposedly a very high pitch noise that humans can't hear but dogs hate it?

Not sure if it works- but might be worth a try?
    They don't

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I will find out what my sister has for her Brittnay Spaniel, thing would bark all the time. The person who trains the K9's for the state of N.H. Police gave her a electronic device that when pressed emits a noise we cant hear. But man can the dogs, and cats. They turn and go away quick and quietly. The only thing is you need to be home to activate it.

I have been dealing with same issue. I have a 7 year old yellow lab that has the worst separation anxiety. In 7 years I've replaced 10 living room sets and numerous rooms of flooring. He has ripped apart solid wood doors and gotten through them. There is not a crate that can hold him. He actually rips apart the wire crates and destroys them. I've gotten those plastic ones and he chews a hole in the side and makes his way out. Every vet and groomer he has been to has never been able to keep him in a crate. The amount of medication he has been given is ridiculous and nothing helped. I also have 2 other dogs who dont act this way, i was unsure and installed cameras. He is one of the most obedient dogs I know due to all his training. He amazes people with his frisbee skills, but I couldn't give him away he is so bad. But he is my dog and now my newborn son lights up when he sees him. It's a tough decision one I couldn't make.

2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen
    1993 cbr 1000 gave to a friend
    1990 cbr 600 blew the motor

Quote Originally Posted by Dukaki848 View Post
    I have been dealing with same issue. I have a 7 year old yellow lab that has the worst separation anxiety. In 7 years I've replaced 10 living room sets and numerous rooms of flooring. He has ripped apart solid wood doors and gotten through them. There is not a crate that can hold him. He actually rips apart the wire crates and destroys them. I've gotten those plastic ones and he chews a hole in the side and makes his way out. Every vet and groomer he has been to has never been able to keep him in a crate. The amount of medication he has been given is ridiculous and nothing helped. I also have 2 other dogs who dont act this way, i was unsure and installed cameras. He is one of the most obedient dogs I know due to all his training. He amazes people with his frisbee skills, but I couldn't give him away he is so bad. But he is my dog and now my newborn son lights up when he sees him. It's a tough decision one I couldn't make.

Sounds to me like you made the tough decision and chose what was right instead of what was easiest

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Yeah your right.

2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen
    1993 cbr 1000 gave to a friend
    1990 cbr 600 blew the motor

At least your reason sounds lagit... I have a foster Beagle/Rotti mix coming back to me tomorrow. They havent even had her for a week. And the reason???? The husband says she has too much energy, jumps and nips (which obviously has to be corrected) coming out of her crate. She isnt even 1! She stops after 3 minutes. She s soooo sweet just a real beagle personality. Lots of energy. I want to boot him in the head.. sorry.. off topic.. Def work back with the rescue you got her from. They are probably your best option.

Last edited by bonbon76; 04-19-12 at 02:36 PM.
    "B"

"The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure"