Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Thinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project

Thinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project

$1500 - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Sumo/Roadrace Project Kit
    No title as Maine doesn't title below 300cc, bill of sale as is where is.

The Bad: Since the last rebuild as a +6mm 292cc overbore, I've been chasing an issue where in 4th and higher, sustained WOT it starts to detonate, then cuts out like someone hit the kill switch. I've been monkeying with jetting, verifying solid fuel flow, etc, but am hampered by the small issue of not a lot of places to test changes to see if they help. Last thing I did was retard the timing by 2deg but haven't had an opportunity to test. I suspect that big old Wossner piston in there is causing enough vibration that at sustained WOT under load (road gearing) it's foaming the fuel in the bowl preventing it from refilling properly. If you let off, coast for a min, then smack the throttle it'll pull like a freight train for a bit before doing it again. On the flip side at a track like Boxshop, I don't go past 3rd, no issues. Lack of opportunities to use it, test it, etc means I haven't ridden it in a couple years now. If it sits, it's just taking up space so time to go.

The Good: This bike has been down to a raw stripped frame, straightened by PK and built back up. It's solid. Frame has been powdercoated, engine has 22hrs on the top end, 36hrs on the bottom end. Clutch pull rod isn't ragged out, clutch pushrod stack shimmed to perfection, exhaust is mint, has a YZ swingarm and 09 YZ450 forks, two sets of RAD sumo wheels that have been rebuilt with Dubya heavy duty spokes, 38mm SmartCarb that makes this bike behave better than EFI four strokes, it's all there. The motor is very un-twostroke like, linear power from idle up with no 'hit' or spike, it's like a ripper Honda aircooled four stroke single. (Kick it like a big four stroke also...) At Boxshop it'll hang with modern 450s. The only bike that I've ridden that can match it on pavement at Boxshop was a TM, this bike LOVES to be on it's side carving. Handled awesome at Canaan as well. For Sumo, I think it's setup to be slightly 'too' stable?

RAD Sumo wheels
    Beringer 6 piston front brake with matching master and 320mm GoldFren full floating rotor
    09 YZ450 forks setup by PK in custom 10mm offset RSW Racing billet clamps
    YZ250 fuel tank
    GPTech aluminum radiators, silicone hose kit
    Boysen engine covers
    FMF Fatty chamber, Pro Circuit 304 muffler
    Kustom Kraft +6mm ported cylinder and head
    VForce 3 reed block
    38mm SmartCarb
    OEM shock rebuilt and revalved by Factory Connection
    Seat redone by Ceet

Spares:
    Additional OEM seat
    Lots of random plastics
    Gaskets/seals/oh boy
    Additional set of RAD Sumo wheels
    OEM forks/brake master/caliper
    Spare OEM shock
    Penske shock valved for road racing by PK, needs front end shortened to match if going to run it
    Needles, float bowl, etc for the SmartCarb
    1994 cylinder (the 'hot' cylinder for this generation) and head suitable for repair and replate if going back to stock or +2mm (262cc) bore
    New exhaust valve - Needed if going back to stock or +2mm, stupid hard to find in unworn condition

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Thinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project

Thinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project-img_4290-jpgThinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project-img_4291-jpgThinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project-img_4292-jpgThinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project-img_4293-jpgThinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project-img_4294-jpgThinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project-img_4295-jpgThinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project-img_4296-jpgThinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project-img_4297-jpgThinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project-img_4298-jpgThinning the herd - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Project-img_4299-jpg

Spare wheels have Excel rims vs the CACRs on the in use wheel set. Numbers will be removed prior to sale.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Shouldn't that price read 15,000?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!
    I'm sure you could work out the shipping to CA

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I'm sure you could work out the shipping to CA
    motoshippers.com is run by WERA racers, I've arranged shipping via UShip.com in the past as well with decent results.

rides bikes

jebus that's a lot of bike for not a lot of monies...if you street plate it in maine i'll come buy it

To plate it I'll need to insure it, then pay excise (haha) and $35 or so for the reg and plate. It still won't come with a title FYI, just a transferred street reg. I'll be bumping the price a touch if doing so.

trade for a very rare, Italian-made, Bombardier mini bike?

Beta 200RR

Nope, got to make room in the garage, not shuffle the deck, sorry.

So, getting a quote on insurance, went to double check the VIN... between the beating the neck got from PK plus the frame being sandblasted and acid dipped before getting a triple layer powder coating job, I can't find the VIN on the steering neck any more. I sanded down the paint a bit where I think it should be but didn't spot it, didn't want to take the neck down to bare metal. In Maine, no one cares. Outside of Maine, I can't make any promises so as noted originally, I'm selling this as a project.

Maine has a process to get a new VIN stamped, they don't see the point on a 92 with no title but it can be done. If I'm going to do this it'll be $1750, dirt reg only, and I can't guarantee a turn around time 'cause waiting on a game warden to find time to do it.

Last edited by Kurlon; 09-28-23 at 02:10 PM.

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    So, getting a quote on insurance, went to double check the VIN... between the beating the neck got from PK plus the frame being sandblasted and acid dipped before getting a triple layer powder coating job, I can't find the VIN on the steering neck any more. I sanded down the paint a bit where I think it should be but didn't spot it, didn't want to take the neck down to bare metal. In Maine, no one cares. Outside of Maine, I can't make any promises so as noted originally, I'm selling this as a project.

Maine has a process to get a new VIN stamped, they don't see the point on a 92 with no title but it can be done. If I'm going to do this it'll be $1750, dirt reg only, and I can't guarantee a turn around time 'cause waiting on a game warden to find time to do it.
    This is seriously tempting. I'm about to head out on a 5 day bike trip (on an old ass two stroke no less), and I may hit you up when I'm back.

FWIW - a plated 2 stroke dirt bike in MA is probably worth $3500+. Yours is probably worth more like $5k. IMO, anyway...

My hesitation is that I already own a plated big bore 2 stroke dirt bike

Nope, got to make room in the garage, not shuffle the deck, sorry.
    "shuffle the deck." love it.

Beta 200RR

Water swapped for coolant, half a gallon of fresh T4 mixed with Yamalube 40:1 splashed in the tank and after a few kicks to knock the cobwebs out after not being run for 3 years she lit up and purrs. Retarding the timing has not lessened the bottom end at all, still wants to drift on dirt right off idle.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Desire for room in the garage intensifies, as the other project is now here and taking up space.

And now I’m thinking of needing an ice bike……the little ttr aint enough.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Take the CACR rimmed sumo wheels and have someone lace up a 21 / (18/19) combo for ice tires, leave the nicer Excels for summer shenanigans.

To spice things up, I'm thinking the KTMs should walk out too, they didn't see enough use last year:

2016 KTM 500 XC-W, PC5 with SVM custom mapping, 450SX muffler, fully derestricted, plus an Ohlins rear shock, 63hrs on the meter. SVM checked it over, did a valve adjust and mapping at 49.5hrs. New fuel pump installed just before SVM work as well. One metric ass load of spare plastics/etc. Bike is in enduro mode at the moment, Maine title in hand. $7k OBO

2019 KTM 150SX, 16.5hrs on the meter, GoldFren oversized front rotor and caliper bracket, KTM hard parts seat, otherwise stock. Almost full set of spare plastics, the original OEM stuff I replaced when I numbered it up for me. Bike has both radiator overflow and carb catch cans currently, but is otherwise in dirt mode. $4k OBO

I then have sumo stuff...
    Two sets of Alpina wheels, one black (OEM FS450), one grey/orange.
    Warp 9 sumo wheel set
    Warp 9 mag rear wheel
    06 KTM SMR forks with FTE by Beringer 4 pot radial caliper
    14MM offset 03 250SX clamps
    16mm offset FS 450 clamps
    GMD 8mm offset clamps
    FS450 front axles, spacers, rotor spacers to go with FS / GMD clamps
    Berigner 310mm cast iron rotors
    Goldfren 270mm oversized front rotors
    KTM OEM WP rear shock for the XC W, valved by GMD for road racing

Sumo stuff won't be parted out while the machines are still here, don't ask. Same for the ice tires/wheels... if you want that we can discuss how deep of a kit you want and a package price.

Ooooof, can I get more info on the 150SX?

I assume it is a lot of bike?

It's a 125 that isn't completely gutless off the pipe? At 200lbs it's noticeably lighter and easier to throw around than my 500, I never got 'bit' by it, but I also never came close to using it's potential in the dirt. I've got a Smartcarb for it, but the supposed 'crap Mikuni' never gave me a reason to do the swap?

It's a 125 that isn't completely gutless off the pipe? At 200lbs it's noticeably lighter and easier to throw around than my 500, I never got 'bit' by it, but I also never came close to using it's potential in the dirt. I've got a Smartcarb for it, but the supposed 'crap Mikuni' never gave me a reason to do the swap?
    I do see now it is a 2 stroke. I have been looking at Honda 150s for my daughter. The CRF110 is NOT working for J-days, the suspension, tire size, and power arent there. Would this be TERRIBLE for a soon to be 12 yr old girl? She is already 5'4".....

the 110 weighs like 170 lbs

Last edited by xrocket21; 12-08-23 at 09:55 AM.

It's a full size bike packing 40hp+ that can come on like a light switch, I suspect she'd either be stalling or whiskey throttling all the time at first coming from that CRF110 and very quickly decide she hates dirt bikes. I think you're on a better path finding something like a 150F to transition to next.

Yeah, I knew that was the answer, I was just hyped

150 is spoken for, 500 is up for grabs...

$1500 - 1992 Yamaha WR250ZD Sumo/Roadrace Project Kit
    No title as Maine doesn't title below 300cc, bill of sale as is where is.

The Bad: Since the last rebuild as a +6mm 292cc overbore, I've been chasing an issue where in 4th and higher, sustained WOT it starts to detonate, then cuts out like someone hit the kill switch. I've been monkeying with jetting, verifying solid fuel flow, etc, but am hampered by the small issue of not a lot of places to test changes to see if they help. Last thing I did was retard the timing by 2deg but haven't had an opportunity to test. I suspect that big old Wossner piston in there is causing enough vibration that at sustained WOT under load (road gearing) it's foaming the fuel in the bowl preventing it from refilling properly. If you let off, coast for a min, then smack the throttle it'll pull like a freight train for a bit before doing it again. On the flip side at a track like Boxshop, I don't go past 3rd, no issues. Lack of opportunities to use it, test it, etc means I haven't ridden it in a couple years now. If it sits, it's just taking up space so time to go.

The Good: This bike has been down to a raw stripped frame, straightened by PK and built back up. It's solid. Frame has been powdercoated, engine has 22hrs on the top end, 36hrs on the bottom end. Clutch pull rod isn't ragged out, clutch pushrod stack shimmed to perfection, exhaust is mint, has a YZ swingarm and 09 YZ450 forks, two sets of RAD sumo wheels that have been rebuilt with Dubya heavy duty spokes, 38mm SmartCarb that makes this bike behave better than EFI four strokes, it's all there. The motor is very un-twostroke like, linear power from idle up with no 'hit' or spike, it's like a ripper Honda aircooled four stroke single. (Kick it like a big four stroke also...) At Boxshop it'll hang with modern 450s. The only bike that I've ridden that can match it on pavement at Boxshop was a TM, this bike LOVES to be on it's side carving. Handled awesome at Canaan as well. For Sumo, I think it's setup to be slightly 'too' stable?

RAD Sumo wheels
    Beringer 6 piston front brake with matching master and 320mm GoldFren full floating rotor
    09 YZ450 forks setup by PK in custom 10mm offset RSW Racing billet clamps
    YZ250 fuel tank
    GPTech aluminum radiators, silicone hose kit
    Boysen engine covers
    FMF Fatty chamber, Pro Circuit 304 muffler
    Kustom Kraft +6mm ported cylinder and head
    VForce 3 reed block
    38mm SmartCarb
    OEM shock rebuilt and revalved by Factory Connection
    Seat redone by Ceet

Spares:
    Additional OEM seat
    Lots of random plastics
    Gaskets/seals/oh boy
    Additional set of RAD Sumo wheels
    OEM forks/brake master/caliper
    Spare OEM shock
    Penske shock valved for road racing by PK, needs front end shortened to match if going to run it
    Needles, float bowl, etc for the SmartCarb
    1994 cylinder (the 'hot' cylinder for this generation) and head suitable for repair and replate if going back to stock or +2mm (262cc) bore
    New exhaust valve - Needed if going back to stock or +2mm, stupid hard to find in unworn condition
    The 92 YZ250 has a stator with old school banana coils. There is a high speed and a low speed coil there. I wonder if the high speed coil is going out at sustained high RPM ?