Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

WANTED: Toyota Tacoma

I absolutely must have:
    -4wd
    -extended cab
    -under 120k miles
    -a $5000 price limit
    -not in an accident, and doesn't need major servicing (ie. rusted out frame, broken transmission, broken differential, broken 4wd etc.)
    -no prerunners

Things I might be flexible on are:
    -auto or manual
    -4cyl or 6cyl
    -SR5/TRD or not
    -mileage (if it's much newer)
    -bedliner or not
    -size of bed

It's a really, REALLY strict criteria, and this might be hard to fulfill, but I've seen this match before, so I'm confident I'll see it again.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

185champ, member on this board has a friend selling one for a great price, in your range...

there's also one on rt 2, about 15 miles east of the hairpin

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

under $5k for a tacoma? with less than 120k? good luck $5k will put you in the early 90's tacos, with high mileage. 120k will put you in late 90's tacos with high price tags.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    under $5k for a tacoma? with less than 120k? good luck $5k will put you in the early 90's tacos, with high mileage. 120k will put you in late 90's tacos with high price tags.
    I was expecting this type of response sometime in this thread because I know it's strict criteria for a Tacoma, but did you read my original post?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    It's a really, REALLY strict criteria...but I've seen this match before, so I'm confident I'll see it again.
    example:

95 Xtra Cab Tacoma
    -95 tacoma, extra cab, red
    -4x4, 5-speed, 4-cyl
    -116k miles
    -$4,999

another example (except it's a regular cab)
    1997******TOYOTA******TACOMA****4X4****$5700
    -97 tacoma, regular cab
    -4x4, 5-speed
    -102k miles
    -$5,700...but with a little negotiation, the higher price tag might be worth it

and thanks kitt...I pm'd your friend and I'll take a drive out on route 2 at the beginning of next week

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-10-07 at 05:01 PM.

I'll run it by my dad, he's got a 96 with about 100k on it, 4wd, auto, w/ cab... i kno he's looking to upgrade, but again, its in excellent condition so i dunno if he'd let go.

check TTORA.com its a great forum for Tacoma owners and more

Yo Quiero Taco Bell

how much worse is the toyota hillux?

1994 Black Toyota Pickup Extra Cab 4x4, 5-speed

it's got a little bit higher miles than I want (124k), but if the toyota hillux is as indestructible as wikipedia says it is (Toyota Hilux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- scroll down to reputation), the $4000 price tag might make it worth it considering that I'd be buying a new clutch

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-12-07 at 10:05 AM.

it says 3200 obo so offer him 2800 and it seems like it has pretty much what you were looking for with $2200 on tap just in case.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    I was expecting this type of response sometime in this thread because I know it's strict criteria for a Tacoma, but did you read my original post?
    i read your stupid post im not saying they arent out there. just be careful. if youre being this strict about criteria then be just as strict about looking it over. the price ranges i mentioned are about average so if you find a better deal than that make sure you look it over completely. remember ... NEVER look at vehicle at night or in the rain.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Bhavesh,

If you come across any that don't fit your criteria lemme know. Looking to pick one up also, but like a 2002 or newer. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KillBill View Post
    Bhavesh,

If you come across any that don't fit your criteria lemme know. Looking to pick one up also, but like a 2002 or newer. Thanks
    Not even close to 5 grand but very clean on ebay.

eBay Motors: Toyota : Tacoma (item 110126264227 end time May-21-07 18:09:07 PDT)

Look at the frame real close if you're looking in that price range; you'll be looking for an older truck. I've just about given up. I found one truck that didn't have any rust, but it needed an exhaust, a clutch, and it had a pretty bad driveline vibration. Almost all the Taco's I looked at (95-98) had a rust hole in the frame just in front of the leaf spring. The ones that weren't rusted through, were real close. The frames rust from the inside out, so it's difficult to see ifyou're not looking for it.

Last edited by wylee; 05-12-07 at 10:51 PM.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Also right in front of the cab mounts, on the top and inside of the frame. Hard so see.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

if youre being this strict about criteria then be just as strict about looking it over. the price ranges i mentioned are about average so if you find a better deal than that make sure you look it over completely. remember ... NEVER look at vehicle at night or in the rain.
    thanks for the tips (everyone), I'll make sure to check all of those locations for rust...from all the reading I've done, the rust on the frame is more likely to happen than the engine dying

but the above toyota hillux I posted about sold already...

argh...this one is SO close to what I want:

1997 TOYOTA TACOMA, 4CYL,5SP,4X4,AC, 103KMILES,CLEAN&CHEAP$$$$$

-2.7 liter 4-cylinder engine
    -5 speed manual transmission
    -4WD
    -103k miles
    -$4,850!

if only it was an extended cab...

on the other hand, $8,500 seems to be close to the magic number:

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 Ex Cab, 88K miles

-1998 SR5 (w' the locking differential)
    -3.4 liter V6 engine
    -5 speed manual transmission
    -4wd
    -88k miles!
    -$8,500

has everything I want, but too expensive...

again....getting close...

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cap, RUNS MINT!

-2.7 liter 4-cylinder engine
    -automatic transmission
    -4wd
    -extended cab
    -sunroof!
    -bed cover
    -160k miles
    -$4,895!

I need lower miles...

well...ok...thank you NESR!

I went to a dealership today to drive a 4-cyl and 6-cyl tacoma. Frankly, the 2.7L 4-cylinder has just as much (if not more) power than my 3.0 V6 in the ranger. Granted it's pretty awful at highway speeds, I'm used to the lack of sack from the truck I already had. Besides, mostly all trucks are slow as $hit anyways. The tacoma does ride slightly better than the ranger, but it handles about the same as any other truck: awful. The fit and finish of the interior is better that the ford, and from what little time I had, I did like the seats.

Anyhoo, the dealer had me interested in a black '98 tacoma SR5 (with the locking differential!), 5-speed, 4-cylinder with only 36,000 miles!!! I took it for a drive, and it was an instant hit. That truck is so nice and easy to drive...perfect for a daily driver.

looks good from the outside, right?

but after reading the responses on here, I asked the dealer about the frame (which he said was fine, because they put all their vehicles on a lift, blah blah), but I took a peek for myself anyways.

looks ok from the outside, right?

now look how it is from the INSIDE:

what's worse, is how it looks from the LEFT inside!

the dealer said that he'd fix it if I wanted it, but somehow I don't think this is an easy "fix"

he didn't have any other trucks that I'd want, but for reference's sake, check out this older one that was also there: '97 tacoma LX, auto, V6, extended cab

not as nice of a truck...has an older interior, 101k miles, etc.

but let's take a closer look

now from the inside:

and the other side, again from the inside:

this one was undercoated

So even if I didn't want to buy the above said truck, I would def. take it over the black one, and it reminds me that if I EVER find a Tacoma with a clean frame, I'm DEFINITELY GOING TO UNDERCOAT THE FRAME RIGHT AWAY!

i was looking at trucks last weekend. i came across a 02 double cab in keene. looked good untill i looked at the frame. i almost put my finger threw it in front of the rear wheels. fully boxed frame to. i just don't get it, there supposed to be the best thing on the road with engine's that go for ever. yet the bodies are thin gauge junk metal and appartently so are the frames. i figured the rust problems on the yota's were a thing of the past, i guess not. sucks cause i really wanted a double cab v6 5-speed combo. oh and the whole front bumper was bubbled with rust aswell. the thing was an 02!

It's strange because my dad's best friend, who lived right on the ocean and always was launching his boat had an 02 V6 full size tacoma and I never saw a spot of rust on the thing. Looked just like this...

I've driven the thing a few times as well and was really impressed with it.

Mine has 120k on it, '01, never wash it and it's fine. I'll be repainting the frame soon enough.

No, the dealer can't "fix" the frame. It needs a new frame.

As far as the other one is concerned, you don't know what is happening inside the frame. Remember, it's hollow and usually rusts from the inside out.

The doublecab was never available in a 5-speed until the '05's came out. The extended cab was, regular cab was, but the D-Cab was only available with an auto. If it is a stick, stay away, stay far far away.

The sheet metal on a Toyota is as good if not better than any other foreign vehicle. I'd rather have to sand down a little rust and repaint a couple spots after 100k than replace a tranny and front end (dodge), an entire engine and tranny (ford) or deal with the worst handling truck on the market (chevy S10). As far as small trucks go, there is no comparison. Resale values reflect that.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

There is a used car dealership On Rte. 20 E just after you pass the Worcester/Shrewsbury line and it looks like he has a decent number of tacomas on the lot.

That white truck has had some serious repair done to it. I be more inclined to buy the one with the hole you can see than one that's been covered up.

FWIW...You can no longer buy a 98 Tacoma frame, they're sold out. I wonder why.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

The doublecab was never available in a 5-speed until the '05's came out. The extended cab was, regular cab was, but the D-Cab was only available with an auto. If it is a stick, stay away, stay far far away.

The sheet metal on a Toyota is as good if not better than any other foreign vehicle. I'd rather have to sand down a little rust and repaint a couple spots after 100k than replace a tranny and front end (dodge), an entire engine and tranny (ford) or deal with the worst handling truck on the market (chevy S10). As far as small trucks go, there is no comparison. Resale values reflect that.[/QUOTE]

yeah the one i saw was an auto. i "want" a double cab 5 spd. didn't realize they didn't make them till 05. i still can't understand how the frames are such problems. i mean its the friggen frame! the back bone of the whole truck!

front ends, engines/trannies are ALOT easier to replace imo. i have little love for domestic small pick-ups. never liked rangers, had 3 s-10's, great drivetrains except 4wd was junk. handled ok, there not sports cars thats for sure. find me a 05 d-cab taco under 15 grand and i'll probley take it! other wise i think i may get a 4 door v8 dakota.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast