Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

WANTED: Toyota Tacoma

It's not just in the summer, but it does drop to about 270-280 in the winter depending on when I changed the oil last, what sensors need to be replaced, etc. I've had a bad of 250 and a norm of 275-290 in the winter.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I got 21 on my first tank with the new taco and 18 the second time. I had some boat hauling in there a little. Overall its not too bad.

Bruce

aww man...now I want mine...

again...I've seen so many that are CLOSE, but no cigar

1998 Toyota Tacoma standard cab w/ 102k mile 5 spd, 4x4, new tires!
    -1998 Tacoma, regular cab
    -2.7l 4-cylinder
    -5 speed manual transmission
    -4wd
    -SR5 trim package
    -102k miles
    -$5,900

if only it was an xtra cab

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com
    -1995 Tacoma, xtra cab
    -2.7l 4-cylinder
    -5 speed manual transmission
    -4wd
    -moonroof, tow hitch
    -100k miles
    -$6,500

I called ahead, verified the details over the phone, then drove over 50 miles (at a whopping 15mpg in the ranger) to see this truck, only to find on the SPOT that it has 140,000 miles on the clock. The ad was wrong, the dealer didn't know much better

anyways...anyone else know of one I can buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    are you sure about this? the 3.4 stick gets 20? is that only in the summer?

this has to vary from tacoma to tacoma, because for that same exact configuration, I've seen people get 16mpg

see post #11 in this thread

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ca-1996-a.html
    My 97 4x4 x-cab 3.4 V6 5 speed 31" tires got 19-21 normal driving. I did get as low as 12 once, but there was a lot of 100+ mph driving on that tank.

Then again, being the cheap bastage I am, I can get about 42-43 oughta my 05 Corolla 5spd if I try...usually around 37-38 though.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

i'll keep my eye's open for ya. i would look for private sale vs dealer. if you avoid the dealer mark-up you might find something sooner. if the 95's in good shape, body, frame etc... offer him 5g's.

Last edited by mikeb; 06-29-07 at 07:52 AM.

thanks man, this is a tough truck to get

my family's trying to get me to get a corolla or camry, but I'll just hate it forever

anyways...

a dealer is asking $8,500 (and will let me trade in the ranger) for one that has:
    -116,000 miles
    -4wd
    -4-cylinder
    -A/C
    -extended cab
    -manual transmission

I figure the miles are sort of high, but if I drive 10-15k miles/year, it should at least last me the 4-5 years I'm at school.

I looked at the frame and thought it looked alright (plus it was undercoated)

The body, engine bay, and interior also looked quite clean:

My only qualm is that the seat belt fibers are beginning to unwind. If I kept this truck, I'd have to get this replaced:

think the truck is a good deal? I can't seem to find any other tacomas w' 4wd, xtra cab, clean, and ~100k miles for the price in central MA.

and how much would it cost to replace the seatbelt? I might use that as leverage.

is this one a 95? toyota or not 8500 is alot of cake for a 12 year old truck with almost 120 thousand miles. don't be afraid to haggle over price. i would get right under that thing and get dirty. take a small hammer and hit the frame. its been painted recently by the looks and looks like they steam cleaned the engine bay witch is fine but is done to make it look better for selling. the seat belts need the entire assembly replaced not just the belts themselfs. i would price that out first.

Seat belts are cheap...look them up on jcwhitney.com. And obviously the dealer has room to come down. Always do.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

That is a lot of money for a truck with will need alternator, brakes, rear springs, clutch, u-joints, shocks and various other little things in the next 20k. While it's a Toyota, it's not an appliance. It'll still need things. Just keep that in mind. I wouldn't want to have your expectations set incorrectly. It would be worth considering a newer slightly more expensive one to get down in the 70k range.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

no...this one's a 1998

the thing about this truck that's appealing is that I can trade in my ranger and won't have to deal with a cheap-bastid clientele that's going to b!tch and complain even if the title says "as is" and I include a disclaimers stating that there are not warranties implied or expressed.

anyways, I posted this on the TTORA forums and 11/13 responses said "PASS"

this is absurd...I can't find a single goddamn good condition tacoma unless I spend $10,000+, which will take another 4 months to save for with the next semester's tuition due in 1 month and about a grand going towards professional school application fees

I could throw in the towel and get a corolla w' a hitch, but I will hate that thing more than a redhead in a foster home

Have you checked out the dealer on Rt. 20 in Auburn? I'm not sure of the name and I haven't been by it in a month or so but they alway's have 4-8 Tacoma's. Take a drive, they are on the left side if going from Westborough.

no...this one's a 1998

the thing about this truck that's appealing is that I can trade in my ranger and won't have to deal with a cheap-bastid clientele that's going to b!tch and complain even if the title says "as is" and I include a disclaimers stating that there are not warranties implied or expressed.

anyways, I posted this on the TTORA forums and 11/13 responses said "PASS"

this is absurd...I can't find a single goddamn good condition tacoma unless I spend $10,000+, which will take another 4 months to save for with the next semester's tuition due in 1 month and about a grand going towards professional school application fees

I could throw in the towel and get a corolla w' a hitch, but I will hate that thing more than a redhead in a foster home
    If you do much traveling on the interstate, you'll be pretty thankful if you go the Corolla route. The Taco 4 poppers are awful getting on the highway; once you get up to speed they're fine, but the on ramps feel like they are 3 miles long.

I have an 05 Corolla 5spd and a 4x8 Harbor Freight type trailer. Empty, I hardly know the trailer is behind me; the Corolla pulls the trailer very well.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

hang in there bro!! a deal will come but most likely will be private sale. can you get a pre approved loan? then you can finance anything not just from a dealer. the only other thing i can say is broaden your horizens on what truck you have to have. yota's are nice but a good one thats cheap is a hard find. a newer ranger is a good truck with a proven platform. they have been the same for years witch is good.

Or just do what most people do:

Get a cheap car until you are done with school.

Then you can afford to buy a truck.

Hell, I towed a trailer with two bikes to North Carolina with a Saab. It did just fine. And even though I have my Tacoma (which seems to be your wish-list truck, trd, V6, extended, etc etc) I'll be in the market for a Corolla soon due to gas prices. 38mpg > 20mpg.

I use my truck a LOT but it wasn't feasible for me to buy during school. That's why I waited. Unless your work requires you to have a truck then it's not a necessity but more of a luxury.

Or just be patient and wait for the right deal to come along.....it will happen eventually.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

and the other side, again from the inside:

this one was undercoated

So even if I didn't want to buy the above said truck, I would def. take it over the black one, and it reminds me that if I EVER find a Tacoma with a clean frame, I'm DEFINITELY GOING TO UNDERCOAT THE FRAME RIGHT AWAY!

not sure, but it looks to me that somebody used undercoating to cover up an illegal frame repair

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by vaa View Post
    Have you checked out the dealer on Rt. 20 in Auburn? I'm not sure of the name and I haven't been by it in a month or so but they alway's have 4-8 Tacoma's. Take a drive, they are on the left side if going from Westborough.
    yeah, I checked them out already...see page 1 of this thread for pics of the trucks the crooks over there have

I went again today and passed on the '98 tacoma:

-the dealer went back on what he said and wouldn't let me trade in the ranger
    -rear tires were bald...seat belt frayed...dealer said he'd replace it if it failed inspection
    -I went through the frame some more and found a hole the size of a quarter next to the front right coil spring from which sand and metal flakes came pouring out of...the frame was a rust bucket on the inside

thanks for the support...I'll keep looking for a tacoma, but I know it's tough, and if I can't find one in a month, I'll just settle for a corolla w' a trailer

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-11-07 at 12:26 AM.

Good thing about a Corolla in todays market, they hold their value. So just think of it as a cheap excuse to wait for the perfect deal on a Tacoma. And then sell it to me cheap!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I'll trade ya for a tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    hang in there bro!! a deal will come but most likely will be private sale. can you get a pre approved loan? then you can finance anything not just from a dealer. the only other thing i can say is broaden your horizens on what truck you have to have. yota's are nice but a good one thats cheap is a hard find. a newer ranger is a good truck with a proven platform. they have been the same for years witch is good.
    thanks for your help man, these are all good suggestions...helps me realize that all hope is not lost, haha

honestly, I was pretty pissed when this truck didn't work out, but reminding me that there are other trucks out there that I wouldn't want to drive (after owning the ranger, I don't think I'd buy another one again) sort of reaffirms that I want a toyota...so if it isn't a tacoma, it'll be a corolla or something. either way I'm going to keep searching...hopefully things will pan out and I can find a clean tacoma

I'll trade ya for a tacoma

thanks for your help man, these are all good suggestions...helps me realize that all hope is not lost, haha

honestly, I was pretty pissed when this truck didn't work out, but reminding me that there are other trucks out there that I wouldn't want to drive (after owning the ranger, I don't think I'd buy another one again) sort of reaffirms that I want a toyota...so if it isn't a tacoma, it'll be a corolla or something. either way I'm going to keep searching...hopefully things will pan out and I can find a clean tacoma

no problem dude. hey also remember test rides are free so even if it isn't a taco but fits what you want in a taco it might be worth looking into.

check this out

99 NISSAN FRONTIER

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic306_2.gif

A guy at work is selling a 1997 Tacoma LX x-cab 5 speed with 100k miles on it for $3k.... 2wd though. Let me know if you're interested

no more 2wd trucks

but just wait like 3 days...I'll be back on this thread

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast