Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Turnkey novice PTwins / Track day mule setup

Turnkey novice PTwins / Track day mule setup

If anyone knows someone looking to get into racing, or just looking for a good track day mount, I'm putting my GS500E up for sale.

1993 GS500E setup for road racing:
    - Woodcraft clipons and rearsets
    - Racetech springs and emulators up front
    - One off Works Perf rear shock, fully adjustable, ride height adjuster, slightly longer than stock
    - Billet fork brace and ignition pickup cover
    - Two sets of wheels
    - - Primary set has DOTs on their second season, still going strong
    - - Spare set has brand new Bridgestone rains mounted
    - - Both sets have EBC rotors up front, primary has a new EBC rear rotor
    - Caliper updated to 2000 spec GS500E model, same as SV650s, more pad compounds are available and there is more pad surface area
    - ASV clutch lever (Neigh indestructable)
    - Pingle petcock, quick disconnect fuel line with enough lenght that you can rotate the tank to the back of the bike to work on it without disconnecting anything
    - Slingshot Racing billet keyless gascap, and spare o-rings
    - Stompgrip pads on tank

Spares:
    - 90% complete 89 GS500E, just missing wheels, axles and forks, torn down
    - - Frame
    - - Motor
    - - Tank and bodywork, both rough but usable
    - Additional motor parts, including a head, cams, clutches, etc
    - Street take off bits, headlight, etc

The 93 bike has a title and all the needed parts to convert it back to street legal status. I was very particular about NOT cutting up the stock harness to make that possible when I set it up for the track. The 89 does not have a title.

For a novice racer, this bike is competitive in PTwins, and I've gone so far as to podium it in LWSB as well. It is down a touch on power compared to an EX500, but now that I've got the carburation sorted, and with help from Penguin and Dana on my line and shift points, when it does come to a flat out drag race it doesn't seem to give up much to the EX's. This bike will force you to learn to carry corner speed, and is a monster on the brakes. I think it can get the job done right up through the Expert division, but I won't be able to prove that out myself. At the very least it'll carry you up to Amateur reliably, on the cheap.

The spares collection should be enough to counter the fact that it's the lone GS500 at the track, and the bike has been in production basically unchanged since 1989, making it a breeze to find used parts cheap either via forums or eBay. Race advice can be gathered from WERA or CRMA where they are still popular.

Now for the bad... I lowsided in 4 Sunday. This rashed the tank up a bit on the right side, broke the throttle, and bent the brake lever. The rear brake master is also leaking now. I've got a new brake lever, as well as multiple throttle tubes, so that should be an easy fix. I'll pull the rear brake master and see if I can scope out it's major malfunction... The mechanicals will be fixed before the bike is sold. The cosmetics will be left for the buyer to contemplate. Once I've done a full inspection and given it a bath, I'll post up a link to pics.

The bike and spares are located in Windham Maine.

Joshua Coombs
    207 229-3060

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Turnkey novice PTwins / Track day mule setup

Pics: http://www.x386.net/TTR/media/ForSale/GS500E-Sale/

Turns out the right clipon didn't just rotate, it bent the bar. The one thing I don't have spares for. This shows the bend. $15 retail for a new one from Woodcraft. Throttle was just gummed up with dirt, disassembled and cleaned and it's working well again. Rear brake master leak was due to a loose banjo bolt... bolt was wired, but I guess not tightly enough... not sure why it waited till the crash to act up... but it's been redone, new crush washers, and rewired. Still needs to be topped off and bled.

There are pics showing the slide damage to the tank, exhaust, and my billet ignition cover. Rather minor really, but they do mar what was once a pristine looking machine. If anyone wants pics of anything else, more detail, etc, just ask.

The pitbull front stand in the pics, along with the 5 gallon gas jug go with the bike. The rear stand does not.

Re: Turnkey novice PTwins / Track day mule setup

$1500 OBO for the whole collection, not interested in trades.