Quote Originally Posted by Cougar296 View Post
lots of 3-D modeling and finite element analysis of foundations that hold various components on the new Virginia Class submarines. I didn't really get into anything that cool while I was there because my I didn't get my security clearance till my last month of working (that shit takes a long time), luckily I have minimal family contacts and no issues that would effect a background check so it went by fast (2 months)...most people don't get their secret clearance while working over the summer. I liked it a lot....lots of actual engineering work, I've always enjoyed 3-D modeling and FEA...and I got to go down on the shipyard and on the submarines that were currently docked there which was cool shit.

I did a presentation on my last day for the various managers of the naval architecture dept, and my dept manager said I could come back if I want...so I'll be graduating Dec of '09, I'll most likely end up back there for this upcoming summer, and possibly work there after I graduate if I still like it.
Shit you've done more than me and I've been working there for 2.5 months

What were you in 492? or 463? I dunno we do a lotta work with the structural dept but I forget the number.

I still don't have secret clearance for some reason and our dept has jack shit to do right now. Quite frankly it kinda sucks. Well plus I live an hour away. I mean the pay is very good, but quite frankly I feel useless reading over reports for dumb errors and crap (I had a pretty good GPA so it's not like I couldn't do actual work) plus they kinda conned me into the dept during my interview by representing a different group and not telling me my group was mostly project engineering and paperwork. Also if you wanna work there full time be prepared to be micromanaged the shit out of. They love to keep track of hours down to the tenth. And and lets not forget winter shutdown where they act like they're doing you a 'favor' lol.