Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you're considering this $375 Goldwing...

rides bikes

If you're considering this $375 Goldwing...

1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade -Needs Repair - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

I talked to this guy last week and he swore up and down that all it needed was a carb clean and a battery to be going down the road. I hopped in the truck and drove two hours to go pick it up. Got there and it was a pile of junk. I obviously wasn't expecting greatness for $375, but I had hoped it would at least match his description. Headers were rotted out, throttle cables were frozen, front brake had no pressure, rear brake was frozen, switches were hanging off the bars, and a bunch of the locks were popped. I didn't spend more than 60 seconds looking at it before I got back in my truck, so there is likely more.

If you're looking for a big-ish project it might not be bad for you, but it's not what he's representing it as.

Hopefully this saves someone some time.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: If you're considering this $375 Goldwing...

If you're considering this 5 Goldwing...-31750244-9dc2-4c37-91a4-b03cca84e69e
    Lol

rides bikes

Hah…dick

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Typical Craigslist shit. Don't feel too bad, I towed a car two hours to NH just to find out the buyer was under 18 and his crazy dad wanted us off his property *now*. Wasn't even my damn car, just doing a friend a favor.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Would love an early 'Wing, 1975-77, naked with alloy rims

My favorite GW page is Naked Gold Wings
    NGWClub(R), Inc. - Welcome

<------ Wow -- just noticed -- post # 1000 -- do I get a prize or something?

Last edited by whynot; 11-22-18 at 09:22 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

What did you except from a 36 year old bike for under 400 bucks on Craigslist? Gold?
    Yes the guys a dick for not telling you the whole story.. But really Boys ..... If you gave him 50 bucks for to just take it off his hands he might have said yes?

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    What did you except from a 36 year old bike for under 400 bucks on Craigslist? Gold?
    Yes the guys a dick for not telling you the whole story.. But really Boys ..... If you gave him 50 bucks for to just take it off his hands he might have said yes?
    Was waiting for this response. No, I wasn't expecting gold, which is why I asked him twice what it needed and also for more photos. He assured me that was all it needed, so yeah, I was pissed when I showed up. I buy about 50 bikes a year and this is the worst I can remember being mislead.

Understand your frustration as I have been mislead by sellers also. Drove 3 hours for a pit bike that was a eBay seller had pictures that looked awesome said the bike was mint.
    Well the pictures were from when the bike was new I guess and it had been sitting uncovered outside for awhile.. total crap show and yes I was pissed..
    I would think if you didn't get the answers you were looking for and had that long of a drive???

rides bikes

No, I got all of the answers I was looking for, he just didn't answer them honestly.

Ya Nick.....I was pissed when I picked up that scooter from you.....Thought I was stealing it from you for that price.

I’m still waiting for you to sell either a 250 or 450 I can flat track or use at Canaan/Loudon.

If you're considering this 5 Goldwing...-c7b4c4b8-70f1-4370-b850-1b8328bb4401

Last edited by Tas; 11-22-18 at 09:29 AM.
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

rides bikes

Haha…that was a good scooter. I can’t believe you made it look that nice!

Flat track is the one type of racing I’ve never done competitively. I know I’d love it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Typical Craigslist shit. Don't feel too bad, I towed a car two hours to NH just to find out the buyer was under 18 and his crazy dad wanted us off his property *now*. Wasn't even my damn car, just doing a friend a favor.
    Wow. This is why I make buyers come to me. I'm trying to sell some snow tires on wheels right now, and every one interested so far wants me to drive them an hour and a half away....

Lifer

I really dislike the “what did you expect” attitude.

Your park avenue leads to..

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I really dislike the “what did you expect” attitude.
    What did you expect from this forum?

Lol jk

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by joshk1025 View Post
    Wow. This is why I make buyers come to me. I'm trying to sell some snow tires on wheels right now, and every one interested so far wants me to drive them an hour and a half away....
    What size & hub pattern?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Just what you noticed in 60 seconds, what’s a quick ballpark of what it would cost to replace all that?
    Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade -Needs Repair - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

I talked to this guy last week and he swore up and down that all it needed was a carb clean and a battery to be going down the road. I hopped in the truck and drove two hours to go pick it up. Got there and it was a pile of junk. I obviously wasn't expecting greatness for $375, but I had hoped it would at least match his description. Headers were rotted out, throttle cables were frozen, front brake had no pressure, rear brake was frozen, switches were hanging off the bars, and a bunch of the locks were popped. I didn't spend more than 60 seconds looking at it before I got back in my truck, so there is likely more.

If you're looking for a big-ish project it might not be bad for you, but it's not what he's representing it as.

Hopefully this saves someone some time.

Your park avenue leads to..

Sounds like $2000
    But sounds a lot more like it’s not worth it

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Just what you noticed in 60 seconds, what’s a quick ballpark of what it would cost to replace all that?
    Not much, but a lot of time in the garage. Assume brake rebuild kits all around, exhaust off of eBay, tires, carb rebuild kits, throttle cables, battery...maybe $700?

So I take it you turn a lot of bike over? Time is money and parts. Just curious what's your make or break point? Say you got the bike for $375 you still had to put time and parts into it. I have done a little of this sometimes it works out other times not so much. Just asking if you care to share?

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    So I take it you turn a lot of bike over? Time is money and parts. Just curious what's your make or break point? Say you got the bike for $375 you still had to put time and parts into it. I have done a little of this sometimes it works out other times not so much. Just asking if you care to share?
    I flip a lot of bikes, but probably not in the way you're thinking. I buy them, fix them, ride them for a few months or a year and then sell them. I wanted this one to do some winter riding and also a trip to Nova Scotia this summer. I don't do it as a business or for any reliable income, so I don't track money or time too closely, but I do make money on pretty much every bike. As anyone will tell you, you don't make your money when you sell them, you make your money when you buy them, so you've got to buy intelligently. In this particular case, I'd probably be into for $1000 in bike + parts, then another few hundred in registration, title and insurance. Plus probably ~20 hours worth of work for a bike that's worth $1500 in good running order. Not worth my time in that case, especially since these are notorious for head gaskets and odd electrical issues that could turn up. I'd rather buy one for $1200, have a blast with it, and make a a little less on the other end.

Lifer

I flip a lot of bikes, but probably not in the way you're thinking. I buy them, fix them, ride them for a few months or a year and then sell them. I wanted this one to do some winter riding and also a trip to Nova Scotia this summer. I don't do it as a business or for any reliable income, so I don't track money or time too closely, but I do make money on pretty much every bike. As anyone will tell you, you don't make your money when you sell them, you make your money when you buy them, so you've got to buy intelligently. In this particular case, I'd probably be into for $1000 in bike + parts, then another few hundred in registration, title and insurance. Plus probably ~20 hours worth of work for a bike that's worth $1500 in good running order. Not worth my time in that case, especially since these are notorious for head gaskets and odd electrical issues that could turn up. I'd rather buy one for $1200, have a blast with it, and make a a little less on the other end.
    If you’re buying 50 bikes a year, as you stated earlier, you absolutely should treat it like a business. If you’re even keeping them for an average of three months, Little’s Law would estimate that you own an average of about 10-15 bikes at any time.

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    If you’re buying 50 bikes a year, as you stated earlier, you absolutely should treat it like a business. If you’re even keeping them for an average of three months, Little’s Law would estimate that you own an average of about 10-15 bikes at any time.
    You're not far off man. I probably have 15 or so bikes now, and will likely pick up a few more over the winter and unload a bunch in the spring.

I've considered taking in more seriously, but I keep busy elsewhere. If I had more space to store bikes I would definitely do a lot more, but my 2 car garage is pretty cramped.

Lifer

You're not far off man. I probably have 15 or so bikes now, and will likely pick up a few more over the winter and unload a bunch in the spring.

I've considered taking in more seriously, but I keep busy elsewhere. If I had more space to store bikes I would definitely do a lot more, but my 2 car garage is pretty cramped.
    How many are registered and insured?

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    How many are registered and insured?
    Generally 3-4, plus a few mopeds and scooters

Generally 3-4, plus a few mopeds and scooters
    I was wondering how much time you spend at your rmv if you registered all 50...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast