Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

35 million is not enough

35 million is not enough

Originally posted by bentbryan
    It's a sad commentary when you have a natural disaster of this magnitude being politicized.

btw, the government doesn't pay our baseball pitchers, just thought you might like to know before you continue with that asinine argument.
    I was putting it in perspective. While we are wondering if the Sox are gunna be able to afford enough of a pitching staff, people are dropping like flies over there.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

....................... PinHead's Avatar

35 million is not enough

Originally posted by TheIglu
    people are dropping like flies over there.
    So aren't the homeless Veterans that live in this country. And all they wanted to do was protect OUR country.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

35 million is not enough

I think it got started with the Hillman morning show on WAAF bitching that these countries are asking for more money. The argument was "Why should we have to give them money when we won't get anything in return?". Left a pretty rotten taste in my mouth about how some people feel about the rest of the world.
    I didn't get my opinion from WAAF, this has been on most news channels. It irritates me that the rest of the world complains when we give money that they want more. We are the most generous nation in the world. We send aid to nearly every disaster or offer help, which is often refused.

Let me ask you a question to "put this in perspective" your walking down the street ,a bum is sitting there jolding a cup. You give him your change and he say's "Hey thats not fair you have more than that and I should get it now not next time you come by" Are you going to give him more now or give him some more later as he needs it.

As for the "Why should we give if we get nothing in return" I can see that giving you a rotten taste in your mouth. I never heard that but i feel the same as you. We are giving and will continue to send relief as it is needed. Those people in the countries affected need alot of help to keep the survivors healthy and alive. There is no fresh water and will be lots of disease from the decaying bodies.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

35 million is not enough

I think Ed put it right with

So aren't the homeless Veterans that live in this country. And all they wanted to do was protect OUR country.

If you want to complain we are only giving 35 mill as a country, then fuck it we take half back and put it towards our homeless, and our children....

PS I don't think it was the countries that need the aid complaining.

If you are interested in donating

http://www.oxfamamerica.org/whatwedo...an_floods_2004

For each dollar collected by Oxfam, at *least* $.90 goes to help those affected by the disaster. They buy the supplies needed locally to help re-stimulate the local economy.

The world views the US the same way people view the police. They are a bunch of SOBs when you dont need them, but when they come to your rescue, they're the best.

The matter of world view of the US is so convoluted that when you get into the actual argument it's pointless in a situation like we have with the Tsunami.

Today I sent enough money to Asia via Oxfam that I can truly feel good about telling the French to FO

Imagine the energy being spent by politicians to argue this point? Goverment's interests are the people's interests.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

35 million is not enough

Now the U.S. has updated our contribution 350 million

Like I said before, We will continue to give aid as it is needed. Anybody else want to bitch now?

France has promised $57 million, Britain $95 million, Sweden $75.5 million. The United States had pledged $35 million, but on Friday President Bush set the new figure of $350 million and said: "Our contributions will continue to be revised as the full effects of this terrible tragedy become clearer."

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

35 million is not enough

Now the U.S. has updated our contribution 350 million
    ...and that's just from the federal government...they'll be receiving additional millions from private donations like Aconsta's.

I don't know much, but I bet 350 million will buy a lot of armor kits for humvees. We have our own disaster going on in Iraq to deal with, and to me our soldiers are far more important.

Clyde
    03 sv650s

35 million is not enough

Originally posted by Lucky13
    ...and that's just from the federal government...they'll be receiving additional millions from private donations like Aconsta's.

I don't know much, but I bet 350 million will buy a lot of armor kits for humvees. We have our own disaster going on in Iraq to deal with, and to me our soldiers are far more important.
    I don't know how you can say our soldiers are far more important than another person. There are lots , and I mean lots, of innocent men , women , and children who are dead,sick,injured,dying, or are about to be.
    you might not realize this , but there are far more people in serious trouble in all the countries affected by the tsunami's than we have fighting in Iraq and Afganistan. There are hundreds of thousands who are homeless, without safe drinking water or food. the death toll has already exceeded 150,000 and that doesnt count the people who live in isolated places nor does it count all who are missing.
    Yes our soldiers are VERY IMPORTANT to me and I believe they are better equipt than the media would like us to believe.(scandels sell and make them money) Yes there are some improvements needed for our soldiers , but we have spent over 35 billion in Iraq and afganistan.Throught history our soldiers have thought the needed better and more equiptment. Ask any of our veterans if they thought that. Hell I think we should get robots to fight for us to keep our soldiers safe.
    Most of these countries affected by the tsunami's are very poor and couldn't help themselves enough to save 3/4 of their population.

35 million is not enough

dhuze, you say it the way it should be

35 million is not enough

Originally posted by SEVENSGT
    dhuze, you say it the way it should be
    I second the motion

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

35 million is not enough

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how you can say our soldiers are far more important than another person. There are lots , and I mean lots, of innocent men , women , and children who are dead,sick,injured,dying, or are about to be.
    you might not realize this , but there are far more people in serious trouble in all the countries affected by the tsunami's than we have fighting in Iraq and Afganistan. There are hundreds of thousands who are homeless, without safe drinking water or food. the death toll has already exceeded 150,000 and that doesnt count the people who live in isolated places nor does it count all who are missing.
    Yes our soldiers are VERY IMPORTANT to me and I believe they are better equipt than the media would like us to believe.(scandels sell and make them money) Yes there are some improvements needed for our soldiers , but we have spent over 35 billion in Iraq and afganistan.Throught history our soldiers have thought the needed better and more equiptment. Ask any of our veterans if they thought that. Hell I think we should get robots to fight for us to keep our soldiers safe.
    Most of these countries affected by the tsunami's are very poor and couldn't help themselves enough to save 3/4 of their population.
    First off, the tsunami disaster is truly a tragedy. The fact that a third of the victims were children is awful. I feel horrible for the families torn apart from this, and my heart goes out to them.

Now, 350 million is way over the top. Thatís 125 million more than the total of Great Britain, Sweden, and France combined (according to your numbers). Our service men and women are top priority to me as they should be to you. Iím not saying we shouldnít help the tsunami victims, but 350 million is way too much. Why isnít most of this money being used for armor kits and other needed necessities? The notion that the media created the story about the humvees to make money is preposterous.

Clyde
    03 sv650s

35 million is not enough

The 350 million does NOT include all the costs of our military aid as well.

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

35 million is not enough

Sorry but Screw it. This is a tragedy, yes. A natural disaster, yes. These things happen all the time. Maybe not to this extent, but they happen. It means nothing to me. I don't feel the need to send money to people I don't, or will ever know or have any relationship with.
    Flame away. Call me heartless or cruel. The bottom line is that our government refuses to help our own citizens who need it. THAT should be first priority instead of being everyone elses financial savior everytime a wave comes or a mountain blows. Humans are very resiliant. We survive and prosper. So will they after all is said and done.
    Life goes on, next.
    Cheers, Lee S.

I know i'm slow, you don't have to rub it in.
    Why, Yes! I do think you're a Wanker!

Littering and........

35 million is not enough

Originally posted by lee955i
    Sorry but Screw it. This is a tragedy, yes. A natural disaster, yes. These things happen all the time. Maybe not to this extent, but they happen. It means nothing to me. I don't feel the need to send money to people I don't, or will ever know or have any relationship with.
    Flame away. Call me heartless or cruel. The bottom line is that our government refuses to help our own citizens who need it. THAT should be first priority instead of being everyone elses financial savior everytime a wave comes or a mountain blows. Humans are very resiliant. We survive and prosper. So will they after all is said and done.
    Life goes on, next.
    Cheers, Lee S.
    I have to, at least in part, agree with you. Any money or resources we send over there ought to be greatly appreciated; its a bad, horrible situation, but not one that we caused.

Obviously, us being a superpower, some aid to these poor folks is in order, but people scoffing at our initial pledges for aid are pretty f'n ridiculous.

35 million is not enough

Originally posted by highsider
    I have to, at least in part, agree with you. Any money or resources we send over there ought to be greatly appreciated; its a bad, horrible situation, but not one that we caused.

Obviously, us being a superpower, some aid to these poor folks is in order, but people scoffing at our initial pledges for aid are pretty f'n ridiculous.
    I agree, I probably shouldn't have gotten pissed for the small initial amount. Looks like we're steppin up and helping out. I still think this is a global responsibility to help the countries that have all but been wiped out. We're doing our fair share now since we do have tons of resources to play with compared to most countries.

I was on a pissy tirade. It happens now and again.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Littering and........

35 million is not enough

I was on a pissy tirade. It happens now and again.
    I wasn't referring to you, I enjoy your tirades.

35 million is not enough

but people scoffing at our initial pledges for aid are pretty f'n ridiculous.
    I feel Bush gave the UN a two finger salute when he offered the 350 million...Basically it says shut your fucking mouths..here's 10X our initial pledge...now you look like an ass for calling us stingy.....

Clyde
    03 sv650s

Lifer

35 million is not enough

Comparing this to Iraq puts it in perspective nicely. The Tsunami has killed more people in a week than the Iraq war has in two years...

To be an ass with Lee, send lots of money over there for aid. That way US companies can outsource your job to one of those countries more quickly.

35 million is not enough

Don't Mess with Texas...

Clyde
    03 sv650s

Lifer

35 million is not enough

To add more politically incorrect wood to the fire...

The Tsunami has finally succeeded in doing what AIDs, Syphilis, Genital Herpes, and a host of other things have failed at...

Derailing Thailands sex tourism industry.

35 million is not enough

Not necessarily...if you're into necrophilia things couldn't be better...

Clyde
    03 sv650s

35 million is not enough

if you're into necrophilia things couldn't be better...

somebody had to say it

Lifer

35 million is not enough

Well I was reading something where the Thai government was saying they are already seeing the tourists disappearing as 1/2 of the fatalities in Thailand were foreign tourists...

So maybe there aren't enough necros around.

They are saying they are installing a warning system ASAP cause they are worried about tourism.

35 million is not enough

Originally posted by benVFR
    To add more politically incorrect wood to the fire...

The Tsunami has finally succeeded in doing what AIDs, Syphilis, Genital Herpes, and a host of other things have failed at...

Derailing Thailands sex tourism industry.
    Careful Ben! That exact sentiment was expressed by a far right-wing, christian conservative radio caller the other day!

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Lifer

35 million is not enough

Ah cool you heard me?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast